Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

185 MPH WINDS..... Irma

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
185 MPH WINDS..... Irma
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 am
  • Sustained winds.

Holy Catfish.

This storm has potential to be a nightmare.

Hopefully it shifts form it's current projections, and spins out into the Atlantic.

ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: 185 MPH WINDS..... Irma
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 am
  • Hopefully the people on the east coast are paying attention.
    This one is for real.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 am
  • Watching some of the reports. Irma is looking like a 100 mile wide tornado. :shock:

Puerto Rico is hunkering down. The Florida Keys are being evacuated. Much of south Florida is on alert.

Hispaniola and Cuba are likely to take big hits. Would hate to be on the Bahamas right now.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:01 am
  • Was listening to NPR yesterday on the drive home from Illinois and they interviewed the governor of Puerto Rico. He said their power grid was in such bad shape that a hit from a category 3 or bigger storm could leave parts of the island without power for 4 to 6 months.

2014 Adopt-A-Rookie: Kiero Small
    2015 Adopt-A-Rookie: Tyler Lockett
    2016 Adopt-A-Rookie: Joey Hunt
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:08 am
  • Here we go again, another big one rolling in. Looks like it's using the tip of the Florida Peninsula as a bullseye.
    "Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am
  • This looks like it could be something that will be not good. Believe me, not good.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm
  • sutz wrote:Watching some of the reports. Irma is looking like a 100 mile wide tornado. :shock:

I just looked it up, and wind speeds of 185 would make it an EF-4 tornado. Except, as you say, 100 miles wide. Holy crap! My wife's brother, his wife, their daughter, and her husband are vacationing in Puerto Rico now. Their last facebook update said they were getting moved inland. Yikes...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:48 pm
  • Gusts currently over 200 MPH.

It's gunna suck for Fl. and east coast.

I'd be getting ready to head to Fl. if not still in recovery from Harvey here in Texas.

There is a front that will stall and keep Irma out of the Gulf (so they say), I'm praying that the front will push Irma away from our shores.
    We (the US) don't need any more devastation right now.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:56 pm
  • My uncle lives in the Keys and is currently headed up to Georgia. He'll come up here to Illinois if the bridges get taken out as that could take months to repair.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 pm
  • they are tracking another one behind it too...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:they are tracking another one behind it too...

Katia, upgraded to Hurricane today. She's already in the gulf but expected to go back over land (Mexico)

Jose is behind Irma in the Atlantic, I have not seen projected path but I assume the same forces are steering him that are controlling Irma.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 pm
  • It's seems certain that the big "front" moving south will play a big role in what Irma does.

Florida is going to see her, there is no doubt about that in my mind.

That front may cause Irma to make landfall north of Florida though.

It does look like that same front may force Jose to stay out in the Atlantic as he moves closer.

Plenty of time however for things to change.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:45 am
  • If you guys want to get an idea of just how big Irma is

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm
  • A good projection on Jose in this tweet, let's hope it's correct.

"Our Quarterback is a Bad Man!" - Michael Robinson
    Foghawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 am
  • To give some perspective, this is Hurricane Andrew in 1992 vs Irma now, holy moly.

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:23 pm
  • Irma absolutely leveled one of my favorite spots in the world... St. Martin. :(

I used to stay there every year at the Nettle Bay Beach Club. My wife and I were hoping to return there next year for our 25th anniversary as we haven't been in ten years, but man, there's nothing much left.

Looking at these photos, man, it's heartbreaking. https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/ ... ma/539103/
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 pm
  • Now they're saying it's tracking farther west, and the SW Gulf coast will be hit harder than Miami.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 pm
  • I offered a childhood friend of mine and her mom, both of whom live in Miami, the ability to fly out and stay at my place as long as they'd like; but they said they are riding it out.

Hope this ends well...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:42 am
  • Looking like it is going up the West side of the state rather than the East side. It also hit land in Cuba which slowed it down a bit but it should re-intensify as it turns north towards the Florida Keys. The wast side of the state is probably a bit more susceptible to flooding than the east overall so this isn't good for them.

Up here in Jacksonville we will get some rain and high winds but more and more I am glad we didn't evacuate. Lots of people here headed west to Tallahassee and the Panama Beach area but it looks like they will get hit harder than we will. So hard to plan where to evacuate to when the path shifts so much over the course of 3-4 days. Earlier in the week it would have been crazy to head up to South Carolina and North Carolina and to head west but now it is pretty much the opposite.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:To give some perspective, this is Hurricane Andrew in 1992 vs Irma now, holy moly.

I think typical hurricane size is somewhere in the middle. Irma is a big honker, but Andrew was also pretty tiny.

Florida won't suffer as direct a hit as was initially forecast, but only because Irma hit Cuba first. Cuba isn't as equipped as Florida to handle such things. Prayers going up.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

185 MPH WINDS..... Irma
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:50 am
  • There are way too many variables when it comes to predicting how much damage will happen in a particular area that's in any large storm's path.

Lay of the land
    Wind speed
    Tidal flows
    Storm surge
    Drainage capabilities
    Etc etc.

Forecasters have gotten really good a predicting a path but have very little idea, when it comes to actual damage, and loss of life.

It's a freaking crap shoot.
    Guess wrong and it could cost you, or worse, someone you love their life.

It's my humble opinion, if you even question evacuating or not, it means you should.

If you know you are in the storm path, and didn't consider evacuating, well you're just plane ignorant and selfish.

People lose their lives trying to help others that had plenty of opportunity to leave. It sucks that it happens but it does.

Not directed at anyone in particular, it's just how I feel in general.

I've worked many big storms, one very recently.

YMMV

Edit:
    I'll add this, a large tropical storm doesn't even need to be categorized as a "hurricane" in order to be devastating.

This was "tropical storm" Allison in Houston.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Allison
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm
  • A storm that size I hope they can predict the path well, I know in the past they have stalled and or changed paths when encountering land and other weather influences.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 am
  • Irma is a lawnmower in the sky.

Here in Orlando now expecting stronger winds due to the shift to the west. The NE of the storm is said to be strongest winds.

Models change often. We'll see what we get. We prepare as best we can. Last year, Matthew was supposed to wreak havoc here. Ended up unaffected.

Everyone sure is neighborly in times like these. After storms, people rise to the occasion.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:56 am

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:12 pm
  • The winds have really picked up here in Jacksonville. Probably 50-60 mph with some stronger gusts. We have probably received close to 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours with a few more to come. We probably have 4-5 more hours of strong winds before they start to die down. This storm is a monster.

Some creeks and rivers are starting to flood. No flooding where I am but there was a fire a couple blocks away. We lost power around midnight and I have heard a few transformers blow.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm
  • Jacksonville got it worse than Orlando. Everyone is probably seeing the flooding there. Check back in when you can, DrCool.
    Life has still yet to resume here. Banks, Government offices, etc. still closed. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 am
  • No flooding where I am but a few neighborhoods got hit pretty bad. The noreaster that came in before the hurricane pushed a lot of water into the St. John's River, 12+ inches of rain in two days, and the hurricane storm surge made for a horrible combination. There are about 3 or 4 areas of town that got hit pretty bad with flooding but most are fine. Some roads got flooded in other parts of the city but no houses were really threatened by that.

We are still without power. There are still about 120K people in Jacksonville without power but yesterday morning that number was 276K so they are making a lot of progress. I think I heard something like 65% of the state lost power during the storm.

I have seen quite a few trees that were blown over but only a couple that hit houses. Tons of branches everywhere though. Nearly every house has a pretty solid pile of branches and debris on the curbs.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm
  • drcool wrote:No flooding where I am but a few neighborhoods got hit pretty bad. The noreaster that came in before the hurricane pushed a lot of water into the St. John's River, 12+ inches of rain in two days, and the hurricane storm surge made for a horrible combination. There are about 3 or 4 areas of town that got hit pretty bad with flooding but most are fine. Some roads got flooded in other parts of the city but no houses were really threatened by that.

We are still without power. There are still about 120K people in Jacksonville without power but yesterday morning that number was 276K so they are making a lot of progress. I think I heard something like 65% of the state lost power during the storm.

I have seen quite a few trees that were blown over but only a couple that hit houses. Tons of branches everywhere though. Nearly every house has a pretty solid pile of branches and debris on the curbs.

Debris here, too.
    Hope you get power soon.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:46 am
  • Still no power. We are now into day 5. Cold showers are getting old but at least the cold water here isn't as cold as it is up north. There has been very little breeze too so there is very little air flow in the house, even with the generator powering 4 fans. It was 86 degrees in my house at midnight last night with 85% humidity. Without the AC running to pull some moisture out of the air everything in the house feels damp. Couches, beds, clothes...

Also with no power to run the dishwasher, vaccuum, washing machine, dryer, etc. the house is looking like a disaster. We haven't been able to get a good nights sleep since last Saturday. I lay in bed and can feel sweat dripping. We are very thankful that there was no damage, that we have food and water, and so on but this is not an enjoyable way to live.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:29 am
  • Power just came back on. Whew! That was a LONG 5 days.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am
  • drcool wrote:Power just came back on. Whew! That was a LONG 5 days.

Been there, and done that.

Happy for y'all, I know it's miserable.

Things can start getting back to normal for you now.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:00 am
  • I did not have power for six days after The Big Blow (literally, that's what that huge wind storm we had in the Puget Sound region a decade ago was named), so I can empathize with that.

Welcome back to the real world, Drcool. :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:36 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I did not have power for six days after The Big Blow (literally, that's what that huge wind storm we had in the Puget Sound region a decade ago was named), so I can empathize with that.

Welcome back to the real world, Drcool. :)

I remember that like it was yesterday. I was living in Fairwood at the time (sorta low rent unincorporated area between Kent East Hill and Renton Highlands), and we had sustained 100mph+ winds for several hours. During gusts we could hear the supporting timbers in the roof above us groaning, creaking, and buckling under the load. Huge trees fell on the neighboring carport, decimating it and the cars parked within it.

Scary shit man. I too went without power for six days. Somehow, miraculously, my brother still had power. He lived in Kent, across the street from a sizeable Boeing complex, so I suspect his local access to the power grid was buried and he was able to draw off of their generators.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information