Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Thor: Ragnarok (Spoiler Free)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thor: Ragnarok (Spoiler Free)
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 pm
  • Anyone else see this yet? I loved it, best Thor movie by far (though, admittedly, that's not saying a lot), and definitely the funniest MCU film thus far. I felt Taika Waititi brought a unique and entertaining style to the film, which, while not crossing directly into GotG territory, definitely leaned into it. I felt they gave Thor much more characterization than previously, and Chris Hemsworth handled it well, and made his sparring with Tom Hiddleston's Loki feel like a fair fight, whereas Loki dominated the parts he appeared in during the previous MCU films. I thought Mark Ruffalo had some great moments as the Hulk, and Tessa Thompson was a fantastic strong female character without requiring any ham-fisted romantic subplot. I think Cate Blanchette as Hela is probably the best MCU villain since Loki (again, not saying much), and felt she was more than just a cut-and-paste big bad these movies tend to struggle with. I would give this 9 out of 10, my only major complaint being the MCU character cameo in the early going felt rather forced, though amusing. Thoughts?
    The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with a pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Spoiler Free)
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:44 am
  • Saw it last night. Both my friend and I thought it was very good. Best Thor film thus far, but neither of us ranked it in "9 out of 10" territory. That's like....original Iron Man status, which this film does not achieve.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:07 pm
  • I was kind of disappointed in it honestly, but maybe that’s just a personal reaction to the over abundance of super hero movie.

One thing I’ve noticed about super hero movies though, is it just me or do people laugh at jokes and situations way more easily in these movies than others? Ie: when Thor throws the ball at the wall and it hits back at him and knocks him down the whole theater erupted in laughter. Did I think it was mildy amusing? I gusss.. but I didn’t laugh. Maybe slap stick humor just isn’t my thing?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Saw it last night. Both my friend and I thought it was very good. Best Thor film thus far, but neither of us ranked it in "9 out of 10" territory. That's like....original Iron Man status, which this film does not achieve.

I like the original Iron Man, but for me, it's in the middle of the MCU pack.
    The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with a pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:I was kind of disappointed in it honestly, but maybe that’s just a personal reaction to the over abundance of super hero movie.

One thing I’ve noticed about super hero movies though, is it just me or do people laugh at jokes and situations way more easily in these movies than others? Ie: when Thor throws the ball at the wall and it hits back at him and knocks him down the whole theater erupted in laughter. Did I think it was mildy amusing? I gusss.. but I didn’t laugh. Maybe slap stick humor just isn’t my thing?

Simple people laugh at simple things, and face it there are a lot more simple minded people these days.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:55 pm
  • People know to expect that kind of humor in every Marvel film now, so they are prepared to laugh the instant anything remotely funny happens. Audience reaction to those moments tends to be a bit overblown nowadays, John; I agree.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:25 pm
  • I️ saw it a couple nights ago.

Overall I️ liked it, I️ was entertained, it took me away from reality for a couple hours, and that’s what I️m looking for when I️ invest my time in a movie.

Having said that, the one thing I️ didn’t care for was the “pushed” humor. It’s not that I️ didn’t appreciate the chuckle but I️ didn’t like hearing others laugh out loud at things that were only slightly humorous to me. I️ felt like the laughter actually interrupted my experience.

The movie left me wanting more, and I️m sure there is more to come.

Nit picky yes but my honest opinion.
    Normally I’d wait for BluRay but I’m glad I️ saw it on the SDX big screen.
    Worth my time, and the price.
    If you like this type of story, go see it.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:40 pm
  • Saw it today. But really it was the best one. Hope there is one more.

Loved the action and wit and charm. It is 9/10!
    Ready for Christmas!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:35 am
  • Saw it as well...

Enjoyed it and thought it in the top 5 of Marvel movies. Did think the humor overshadowed some moments that were meant to have more gravity. Almost like the movie was meant to be more serious when originally written.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 pm
  • I thought it was good, a solid B+, although I'm not much of a comic-book movie fan. I preferred Guardians of the Galaxy. I do generally really enjoy Taika Waititi films, although I'm not sure if much of the New Zealand humour translates abroad. What We Do in the Shadows is my favourite Waititi film - It's a mockumentary about a group of vampires living together in modern day Wellington and also stars Jemaine Clement and Rhys Darby from Flight of the Conchords. Eagle vs Shark & Boy are both ace too.

His commercial for NZ TV about drug driving is pretty classic too:

As for Thor - I found Chris Hemsworth's and Tessa Thompson's British accents really bad. I'm not sure why they were necessary.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm
  • I had time the other night and checked it out (I wanted to see Blade Runner but missed the last showing) and liked it. It’s definitely the best Thor movie to date, but I felt like they are abandoning some drama for more humor. Most of it was funny, but I thought Jeff Goldblum was a little too...Jeff Goldblum? if that makes sense. Also, The character, Korg, was funny at first but quickly became a tired act. Hela was hot af.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information