Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Who has two thumbs...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Who has two thumbs...
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 pm
  • And just passed the Professional Engineer licensing test? This guy: Geekhawk, PE.

Just bragging a little. Not too bad for an old fart, I shoulda done this 35 years ago! So in the last 10 years I quit my job as an electronics tech, obtained an associates degree, a bachelors degree in EE, got a new job as a nuclear controls engineer, obtained a masters degree in EE, and became a PE. Yet I still hang out here and argue with all y'all. There's something basically wrong with me...
    :irishdrinkers: :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: Who has two thumbs...
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 pm
  • Goddam, that's a helluva path you took. Congrats!
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm
  • It all started with getting T-boned on my motorcycle in 2004, which pretty much changed things (and left me with front-row parking for life).
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:It all started with getting T-boned on my motorcycle in 2004, which pretty much changed things (and left me with front-row parking for life).

Like a Phoenix, you rose from the ashes.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:And just passed the Professional Engineer licensing test? This guy: Geekhawk, PE.

Just bragging a little. Not too bad for an old fart, I shoulda done this 35 years ago! So in the last 10 years I quit my job as an electronics tech, obtained an associates degree, a bachelors degree in EE, got a new job as a nuclear controls engineer, obtained a masters degree in EE, and became a PE. Yet I still hang out here and argue with all y'all. There's something basically wrong with me...
    :irishdrinkers: :mrgreen:
    So do you actually make enough to pay off your student loans or was this your scheme to avoid your wife?
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 pm
  • Congrats, Geek!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:17 am
  • Josea16 wrote:So do you actually make enough to pay off your student loans or was this your scheme to avoid your wife?

The amount I make now over what I made as an electronics tech pays for the student loans, plus a bit left over. People who complain bitterly about their student loan debt either don't have a clue, or racked up huge bills for a useless degree. Get a degree in an engineering field and your student loan payment is similar to the payment on a new truck. Except the truck's value goes down over time, and the degree's value increases. Get a 4-year degree in art history and you're on your own.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:34 am
  • Well done, Good Sir.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:32 am
  • Congrats...well done

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm
  • Nice! Congratulations.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:05 am
  • Thanks all. (I don't usually brag, but when I do it's about something cool... At least, it's cool on a geek level!)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:28 pm
  • Very impressive! Well done old friend! Not sure why you hang out with the likes of us reprobates. ;)

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:06 am
  • You can take me out the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of me. :irishdrinkers:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:So do you actually make enough to pay off your student loans or was this your scheme to avoid your wife?

The amount I make now over what I made as an electronics tech pays for the student loans, plus a bit left over. People who complain bitterly about their student loan debt either don't have a clue, or racked up huge bills for a useless degree. Get a degree in an engineering field and your student loan payment is similar to the payment on a new truck. Except the truck's value goes down over time, and the degree's value increases. Get a 4-year degree in art history and you're on your own.

Agreed. If art history is your passion then, by all means, throw money at that degree. Just don't whine about lack of jobs, pay or student loan debt when you are done. You should have known.

I hear this from my brother in law and hiss wife all the time. She never had the ambition to be anything other than a housewife (which is absolutely fine) but got a 4-year theater arts degree from a private college racking up well into a 6 figure number in student loan debt and now they whine about the burden it is while trying to support their 6 kids.

Make what decisions you want, but make sure you are then responsible for them.
    Last edited by JustTheTip on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 am
  • My niece got a 4-year degree from UW in Art History. With this degree, she then went on to sell whatever they sell at Crate & Barrel, then to making coffee at a stand, and is now a stay-at-home housewife. Which is fine, and she doesn't complain about her student debt which is as it should be. As near as I can tell, the only thing a 4-year degree in Art History is good for is to enable you to get a Master's in the subject and go on to become a museum curator for not much pay, or to get a PhD and teach others to get a 4-year degree... She sure knows a lot about art history, though!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm
  • Belated congratulations, GeekHawk! I've only just stumbled on this thread today. It's hard to believe now, but when I did a B.Sc. degree (1977-80) it was free. All you had to pay for was the Student Union fee, and for books, etc. Oh, and beer, of course. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Belated congratulations, GeekHawk! I've only just stumbled on this thread today. It's hard to believe now, but when I did a B.Sc. degree (1977-80) it was free. All you had to pay for was the Student Union fee, and for books, etc. Oh, and beer, of course. :D

Belated thanks good sir! Seeing as how that you're in Australia I understand that the fees from 4 years of beers could add up to a tidy sum! Or as we might say, the integral of d(price of a pint) dt from 0 to 4 years = frickin infinity. :irishdrinkers:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 am
  • GeekHawk, I don't remember anything I learned about calculus (cue Paul Simon), but indeed I spent too much on grog in 1977, my first year at Uni. I lived in a residential Uni College, and our behavior that year was like Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis". Out of our whole sub-corridor of about 10 students, I think only two passed all their subjects, and most, including me, flunked all. I majored in drinking and snooker that year.

I got back on target in 1978 and completed my Science degree with reasonably robust passes, but I didn't try to enrol for Honours, because the lecturer who taught me about lysogenic bacteriophages was off on sabbatical, and that field was my burning desire.

I went on to do pharmacology research, as a Research Assistant, for the next 25 years...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:went on to do pharmacology research, as a Research Assistant, for the next 25 years...

That's one way to put it! :mrgreen:

At the University of Washington, the Electrical Engineering club was selling T-shirts (I should have bought one) that said "You can't spell beer without EE". They kept asking me to be on the competitive beer-drinking team but I told 'em that it wouldn't be fair to bring in a pro to compete with amateurs!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:14 pm
  • Aussie, I always really liked that main story from Hearts in Atlantis. It felt so very real...and understandable.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information