Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Disney acquires Fox film/TV for a cool $52 billion

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• While Fox retains FS1, FS2, and the Big Ten Network, Disney is gaining control of all of Fox's regional sports networks as well.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This does not strike me as a smart merger. Legacy media is dying. 55 billion is a lot for a dying industry, even one with the scope and reach of Fox. If you look at all of Disney's other media holdings, none of them are doing well.

I'm not a fan of this move, but I'm not much of a fan of Disney either, so meh. This strikes me as another AOL/Time Warner fiasco.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:This does not strike me as a smart merger. Legacy media is dying. 55 billion is a lot for a dying industry, even one with the scope and reach of Fox. If you look at all of Disney's other media holdings, none of them are doing well.

I'm not a fan of this move, but I'm not much of a fan of Disney either, so meh. This strikes me as another AOL/Time Warner fiasco.

I'd wager that this is a way for Disney to invest in getting more titles for their streaming service. This will give them the ability to open the streaming service now with a wide array of titles in the library and they will be able to provide more original content as well.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:This does not strike me as a smart merger. Legacy media is dying. 55 billion is a lot for a dying industry, even one with the scope and reach of Fox. If you look at all of Disney's other media holdings, none of them are doing well.

I'd wager that this is a way for Disney to invest in getting more titles for their streaming service. This will give them the ability to open the streaming service now with a wide array of titles in the library and they will be able to provide more original content as well.

The potential for merging Fox's media portfolio with their own had occurred to me, even still it's tough for me to see them digging out of this hole. Streaming services have razor thin margins due to capital costs on the content delivery infrastructure. I can see them gaining a lot of benefit from this merger, but it's hard for me to see $55 billion worth.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:This does not strike me as a smart merger. Legacy media is dying. 55 billion is a lot for a dying industry, even one with the scope and reach of Fox. If you look at all of Disney's other media holdings, none of them are doing well.

The potential for merging Fox's media portfolio with their own had occurred to me, even still it's tough for me to see them digging out of this hole. Streaming services have razor thin margins due to capital costs on the content delivery infrastructure. I can see them gaining a lot of benefit from this merger, but it's hard for me to see $55 billion worth.

This deal gives Disney 60% ownership of Hulu. They can now just turn that into their Disney-branded streaming service instead of building one from scratch.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Disney also now officially owns all of Star Wars. Fox had the rights to Empire, Jedi, and the prequels through 2019, and owned the original Star Wars in perpetuity. Theoretically, if we're ever going to see the original cuts in high def, now would be the time.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• If anyone hasn’t seen Ryan Reynolds comments about this on Twitter, have a look!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Maulbert wrote:Disney also now officially owns all of Star Wars. Fox had the rights to Empire, Jedi, and the prequels through 2019, and owned the original Star Wars in perpetuity. Theoretically, if we're ever going to see the original cuts in high def, now would be the time.

This is the best news for me.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Short term, not a lot of green...long term....a Hell of a LOT of green. There are still a lot of oldies like me that view over the air tv.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• My main concern with this is the ability to tell actual comic book stories, which are often rated R. They're successful for a reason.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Image

:2thumbs:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Image

A canon Star Wars/Star Trek crossover? Yes, please.
    Last edited by Maulbert on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• It kinda sucks, because competition is good....but at least the entertainment industry by nature will always have to be competitive. Disney will need to hire good people to produce their content, or they will suffer, regardless of how much market share they have. So really, I don't care too much either way about this.

Lots of talk about The Simpsons now being owned by Disney....but why? The Simpsons are yesterdays news. The best of The Simpsons is waaaaay in the past. If anything, maybe Disney can make them good again. But let's be honest, it's time for The Simpsons to be done.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• It's time for the Simpsons to end.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information