Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

"Downsizing" (the movie)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
"Downsizing" (the movie)
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:26 pm
  • Anyone seen it yet? seems to have a lot of poor reviews, although I like quite a lot of films most people think are rubbish.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: "Downsizing" (the movie)
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm
  • I haven't yet, but I want to. Just seems like an interesting concept, something which is lacking in most films.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I haven't yet, but I want to. Just seems like an interesting concept, something which is lacking in most films.

That's exactly what I thought. In "Danse Macabre" Stephen King lists "The Incredible Shrinking Man" (1957) as a favourite movie of his. i've never seen it, and maybe the effects are possibly not very realistic, given the technology of the time, but I don't think I'd cope well with him being stalked by a spider bigger than he is. Heck, I still have not seen the second (or third) Hobbit movies, because I don't know how bad the Mirkwood spider parts are. I'm a very severe arachnophobe.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:I'm a very severe arachnophobe.

Understandable, considering how many different poisonous spiders there are on Australia. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I'm a very severe arachnophobe.

Understandable, considering how many different poisonous spiders there are on Australia. :)

Your absolutely logical thinking here isn't totally accurate. There are only two species dangerous to humans. The funnel-web spider is very dangerous, large and aggressive, but mercifully is only found in a small area around Sydney, which is half a continent from Adelaide. The redback spider is common here, though, but it is small and has tiny fangs, and is generally quite static/web-dwelling. The funnel web, however, wanders, and its fangs can penetrate shoe leather or a human nail!

S/H/U/D/D/E/R.

But the spider I'm terrified of is actually harmless - just, in my opinion, large and very revolting. It's called a huntsman and can grow to a size not too much smaller than a saucer. It's an irrational phobia I have.

I actually love snakes, even though arguably most of the dangerous species live in Australia, and all snakes near Adelaide are poisonous.

Also terrified of scorpions and centipedes, but they are not dangerous, although very painful. I found a dead scorpion under the bed in my moterl room in Furnace Creek, Death Valley, when I was there, and my friend, who didn't tell me at the time, said he saw a tarantula crossing the road on our way back to his place in Vegas.

Quite a change, going from Kitsap County and Seattle, to Death Valley!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 am
  • I guess it's more the snakes that are a true threat as far as wildlife in Australia is concerned, then. Good times!
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 am
  • Bleck, seems like another Matt Damon preachy I'm going to teach all you unwashed masses about how you affect mother earth with your gluttonous consumerism type of movies.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Bleck, seems like another Matt Damon preachy I'm going to teach all you unwashed masses about how you affect mother earth with your gluttonous consumerism type of movies.

That was a common criticism of people who have seen the movie.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm
  • The Mrs and I went to see this movie a couple weeks ago,,,we BOTH fell asleep in the theater....
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:The Mrs and I went to see this movie a couple weeks ago,,,we BOTH fell asleep in the theater....

I fell asleep watching "The Deer Hunter" and "Apocalypse Now" - also "2012" but that was a horrible movie, IMHO.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information