Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

I want to stop smoking...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: I want to stop smoking...
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 am
  • No, no paranormal powers, just experience. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote: Year 11 (penultimate high school year here).

Same here, FYI. I'm not sure they teach the meaning of the word 'penultimate' within the first 12 years of school around here, though... ;)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote: Year 11 (penultimate high school year here).

Same here, FYI. I'm not sure they teach the meaning of the word 'penultimate' within the first 12 years of school around here, though... ;)

Well, of course the meaning is simple. It is what you ate when you spent time in prison. :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:44 am
  • Two weeks completed today, with no smokes (my wife, too, and our son also joined us in the quest to stop smoking; he on nicotine patches, last Monday). We're both doing Champix.

We're doing OK! Well, still some urges - nicotine won't give up easily, of course. But, I'm still utterly determined to beat the habit, and totally free myself from smoking. I'm already starting to realise the TRUTH of the [non-smokers'] claim that I smoked to "relax", simply to try to catch up to feeling "normal", after being dumped by my previous smoke, after its awfully brief dopamine-driven "reward."

One day at a time, I am trying to think of myself as a non-smoker. It is still hard at times - I "forget" and intend to "go out for a smoke" and then I remember I will NOT smoke again, no matter how much I miss it... OR how much I "miss it" - and as of tonight... I don't miss it very much, and have a lot of optimism that I will NEVER smoke again.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am
  • Great work! Keep at it and stay strong. You're literally hours or days away from this being ancient history.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 am
  • Excellent news!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 am
  • Good job, bro! It actually does get a little easier after time.

Hang in there.

:2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm
  • Zeb, OP, Sutz - thank you!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm
  • After 20 years of smoking ecigs saved me and now I'm down to the lowest nicotine they make and I buy no nicotine flavor and mix it 50 50 with 3mg to get even lower but I like the ecig
    ~All I vape is fruit flavor so I smell like a potpourri farm :2thumbs:
    You can do it
    I was lucky as my body was sick and tired of smoke so ecigs were an easy way to go and I was able to quit cold turkey Good luck to you and your other half
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 am
  • hawxfreak wrote:I was lucky as my body was sick and tired of smoke so ecigs were an easy way to go and I was able to quit cold turkey Good luck to you and your other half

Thanks - approaching (but NOT yet reached) four weeks of no smoking, for both me and my wife. It's STILL bloody hard sometimes, but we're doing OK. Taking it one day at a time. Some times are easy, even "glad" and LIBERATING (ie thinking truly NO MORE Prison of Tobacco), then I just get SLAPPED by a desire to smoke, out of the blue, and I have to fight it. I have had vivid dreams of fiddling with rolling a smoke (I very rarely smoked tailors), but so far, even in the damned dreams, I've NEVER lit one, let alone smoked it.

Progress is one day at a time. I MUST do this - I don't want to waste the time I've already stopped smoking, and start smoking again. NO!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 pm
  • Have you found that your taste buds and olfactory senses have improved?
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm
  • It helps to remember the reasons you quit , the worst parts of it whatever for you it was and they make you remember why you quit and give you strength , so hang on to those as I've had other things that were just as tough if not worse to quit and that seems to work for me on all of my old vices I couldn't live with anymore
    More power to ya
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Have you found that your taste buds and olfactory senses have improved?

I haven't noticed much yet, really, except that the intermittent battle against mice in the shed is ON at the moment, and the mouse smell is bloody awful! Also, the neighbours have a lemon-scented gum tree, which was particularly noticeable a couple of days ago, when we had a tiny piddle of rain... so yes, I guess they have improved, a little, thank you. I'm going to have a nice bottle of red wine tomorrow night, to celebrate a month of no smoking (well, 4 weeks). I've got a very bold shiraz which is said to be superb; a collaborative effort of a local winemaker and a colleage of his in Georgia (the country, I mean). A Russian friend has told me that Georgian and Moldovan red wines are particularly wonderful, if you like really robust ones.

I'll make a full report then. :)

Thanks, Lymon!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 am
  • hawxfreak wrote:It helps to remember the reasons you quit , the worst parts of it whatever for you it was and they make you remember why you quit and give you strength , so hang on to those as I've had other things that were just as tough if not worse to quit and that seems to work for me on all of my old vices I couldn't live with anymore
    More power to ya

Thank you! You're absolutely right - it is INCREDIBLY important for me to remember, especially at tough times, WHY I've stopped smoking.

In no particular order:

Cost. $70 a week saved for me, $200 a week for my wife. Australia has the most expensive smokes in the world.

The realisation of how much time I spent smoking, and how much it ruled my life. Literally everything planned around a smoke (as in "have a quick smoke, then I'll do [whatever]"), or going out for a smoke after a meal (and not 100% concentrating on the meal), stopping the car to get out for a smoke, etc, etc.

The critical discovery of the truth that I wasn't smoking to actively relax - I was smoking to feel normal again for a while, until the desire for the next smoke began.

The amount of money spent by the taxpayers (didn't cost me a cent directly) and work required by very skilled medical personnel, when I spent 10 days in intensive care in hospital, when my aortic wall ruptured partially in 2006. The surgeon said it was not definitely caused by smoking, but I always felt guilty I didn't stop there and then. Obviously I didn't feel guilty enough, though. :(

The awful secondary infection I got from my most recent cold, which went on for weeks, and admitting that I was also beginning to cough chronically in the morning, which is already vastly improved.

The risk of getting an awful disease caused by my smoking, which could cause things even worse than my death.

BUT, I realise I've already pushed my risk levels, by smoking for 41 years, so I also have to hope I'm lucky enough to very slowly shave off the accumulated risk factors, by never smoking again.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 pm
  • Aussie, you're seriously inspiring me. I've been smoking for about 5 years and this thread has pushed me over the edge to actually go through with quitting. I started weaning myself off last Wednesday (5 smokes, to 4 on Thursday to 3 on Friday) as going from a dozen rollies to cold turkey over night would have probably ended with my SO leaving me for being such an asshole lol.

Haven't had any tobacco since Friday and spent the whole weekend out of town snowboarding and visiting friends so I could keep myself busy and my mind off it. Honestly it feels like it's been a week already, though watching characters smoke in movies and tv shows really makes the urge come back. That's actually what made me relapse the last time I stopped smoking for a handful of days. Peaky Blinders... seemed like there was at least one character smoking in every scene and it made those cigarettes look like a damn steak dinner.

Anyway, just wanted to share that this thread has helped me stay motivated to quit. I hope that 4 week celebration Shiraz is one for the books.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information