Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

I want to stop smoking...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: I want to stop smoking...
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 am
  • No, no paranormal powers, just experience. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote: Year 11 (penultimate high school year here).

Same here, FYI. I'm not sure they teach the meaning of the word 'penultimate' within the first 12 years of school around here, though... ;)
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote: Year 11 (penultimate high school year here).

Same here, FYI. I'm not sure they teach the meaning of the word 'penultimate' within the first 12 years of school around here, though... ;)

Well, of course the meaning is simple. It is what you ate when you spent time in prison. :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:44 am
  • Two weeks completed today, with no smokes (my wife, too, and our son also joined us in the quest to stop smoking; he on nicotine patches, last Monday). We're both doing Champix.

We're doing OK! Well, still some urges - nicotine won't give up easily, of course. But, I'm still utterly determined to beat the habit, and totally free myself from smoking. I'm already starting to realise the TRUTH of the [non-smokers'] claim that I smoked to "relax", simply to try to catch up to feeling "normal", after being dumped by my previous smoke, after its awfully brief dopamine-driven "reward."

One day at a time, I am trying to think of myself as a non-smoker. It is still hard at times - I "forget" and intend to "go out for a smoke" and then I remember I will NOT smoke again, no matter how much I miss it... OR how much I "miss it" - and as of tonight... I don't miss it very much, and have a lot of optimism that I will NEVER smoke again.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:18 am
  • Great work! Keep at it and stay strong. You're literally hours or days away from this being ancient history.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:22 am
  • Excellent news!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:22 am
  • Good job, bro! It actually does get a little easier after time.

Hang in there.

:2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm
  • Zeb, OP, Sutz - thank you!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm
  • After 20 years of smoking ecigs saved me and now I'm down to the lowest nicotine they make and I buy no nicotine flavor and mix it 50 50 with 3mg to get even lower but I like the ecig
    ~All I vape is fruit flavor so I smell like a potpourri farm :2thumbs:
    You can do it
    I was lucky as my body was sick and tired of smoke so ecigs were an easy way to go and I was able to quit cold turkey Good luck to you and your other half
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 am
  • hawxfreak wrote:I was lucky as my body was sick and tired of smoke so ecigs were an easy way to go and I was able to quit cold turkey Good luck to you and your other half

Thanks - approaching (but NOT yet reached) four weeks of no smoking, for both me and my wife. It's STILL bloody hard sometimes, but we're doing OK. Taking it one day at a time. Some times are easy, even "glad" and LIBERATING (ie thinking truly NO MORE Prison of Tobacco), then I just get SLAPPED by a desire to smoke, out of the blue, and I have to fight it. I have had vivid dreams of fiddling with rolling a smoke (I very rarely smoked tailors), but so far, even in the damned dreams, I've NEVER lit one, let alone smoked it.

Progress is one day at a time. I MUST do this - I don't want to waste the time I've already stopped smoking, and start smoking again. NO!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:57 pm
  • Have you found that your taste buds and olfactory senses have improved?
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm
  • It helps to remember the reasons you quit , the worst parts of it whatever for you it was and they make you remember why you quit and give you strength , so hang on to those as I've had other things that were just as tough if not worse to quit and that seems to work for me on all of my old vices I couldn't live with anymore
    More power to ya
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Have you found that your taste buds and olfactory senses have improved?

I haven't noticed much yet, really, except that the intermittent battle against mice in the shed is ON at the moment, and the mouse smell is bloody awful! Also, the neighbours have a lemon-scented gum tree, which was particularly noticeable a couple of days ago, when we had a tiny piddle of rain... so yes, I guess they have improved, a little, thank you. I'm going to have a nice bottle of red wine tomorrow night, to celebrate a month of no smoking (well, 4 weeks). I've got a very bold shiraz which is said to be superb; a collaborative effort of a local winemaker and a colleage of his in Georgia (the country, I mean). A Russian friend has told me that Georgian and Moldovan red wines are particularly wonderful, if you like really robust ones.

I'll make a full report then. :)

Thanks, Lymon!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:22 am
  • hawxfreak wrote:It helps to remember the reasons you quit , the worst parts of it whatever for you it was and they make you remember why you quit and give you strength , so hang on to those as I've had other things that were just as tough if not worse to quit and that seems to work for me on all of my old vices I couldn't live with anymore
    More power to ya

Thank you! You're absolutely right - it is INCREDIBLY important for me to remember, especially at tough times, WHY I've stopped smoking.

In no particular order:

Cost. $70 a week saved for me, $200 a week for my wife. Australia has the most expensive smokes in the world.

The realisation of how much time I spent smoking, and how much it ruled my life. Literally everything planned around a smoke (as in "have a quick smoke, then I'll do [whatever]"), or going out for a smoke after a meal (and not 100% concentrating on the meal), stopping the car to get out for a smoke, etc, etc.

The critical discovery of the truth that I wasn't smoking to actively relax - I was smoking to feel normal again for a while, until the desire for the next smoke began.

The amount of money spent by the taxpayers (didn't cost me a cent directly) and work required by very skilled medical personnel, when I spent 10 days in intensive care in hospital, when my aortic wall ruptured partially in 2006. The surgeon said it was not definitely caused by smoking, but I always felt guilty I didn't stop there and then. Obviously I didn't feel guilty enough, though. :(

The awful secondary infection I got from my most recent cold, which went on for weeks, and admitting that I was also beginning to cough chronically in the morning, which is already vastly improved.

The risk of getting an awful disease caused by my smoking, which could cause things even worse than my death.

BUT, I realise I've already pushed my risk levels, by smoking for 41 years, so I also have to hope I'm lucky enough to very slowly shave off the accumulated risk factors, by never smoking again.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:08 pm
  • Aussie, you're seriously inspiring me. I've been smoking for about 5 years and this thread has pushed me over the edge to actually go through with quitting. I started weaning myself off last Wednesday (5 smokes, to 4 on Thursday to 3 on Friday) as going from a dozen rollies to cold turkey over night would have probably ended with my SO leaving me for being such an asshole lol.

Haven't had any tobacco since Friday and spent the whole weekend out of town snowboarding and visiting friends so I could keep myself busy and my mind off it. Honestly it feels like it's been a week already, though watching characters smoke in movies and tv shows really makes the urge come back. That's actually what made me relapse the last time I stopped smoking for a handful of days. Peaky Blinders... seemed like there was at least one character smoking in every scene and it made those cigarettes look like a damn steak dinner.

Anyway, just wanted to share that this thread has helped me stay motivated to quit. I hope that 4 week celebration Shiraz is one for the books.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Aussie, you're seriously inspiring me. I've been smoking for about 5 years and this thread has pushed me over the edge to actually go through with quitting.

Anyway, just wanted to share that this thread has helped me stay motivated to quit. I hope that 4 week celebration Shiraz is one for the books.

THANK YOU! How are you going, JGfromtheNW?

I'm still off the smokes (6 weeks yesterday) - quite a lot of the time everything is fine, but occasionally, just TOTALLY out of the blue, from left field (all the cliches)... I just get WHAPPED by an enormous desire to (literally) breathe in cigarette smoke. It doesn't last long, but it is STILL not easy, curse it. A 40 year lifestyle of smoking is not going to die easily.

My Georgian-inspired Shiraz was actually a Saperavi, and it was simply gorgeous.

A LOT of domestic stress happening here, and I must admit I'm a bit pleased with myself for REFUSING to wimp out and smoke, to in lieu "cope" - but I STILL have to take it day by day, and not in the least take /anything/ about stopping smoking for granted.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:41 am
  • Thanks for the updates! Sounds good guys! Hang in there. It actually does get better after a while. ;)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:THANK YOU! How are you going, JGfromtheNW?

I'm still off the smokes (6 weeks yesterday) - quite a lot of the time everything is fine, but occasionally, just TOTALLY out of the blue, from left field (all the cliches)... I just get WHAPPED by an enormous desire to (literally) breathe in cigarette smoke. It doesn't last long, but it is STILL not easy, curse it. A 40 year lifestyle of smoking is not going to die easily.

My Georgian-inspired Shiraz was actually a Saperavi, and it was simply gorgeous.

A LOT of domestic stress happening here, and I must admit I'm a bit pleased with myself for REFUSING to wimp out and smoke, to in lieu "cope" - but I STILL have to take it day by day, and not in the least take /anything/ about stopping smoking for granted.

Still going strong, almost at three weeks now! The irritability has gone away, but I still get the urge every once in a while and especially when I walk past folks who are smoking. My body and lungs have been feeling better and my cough is virtually non-existent.

Sounds like you're doing great, Aussie. Very impressive you're still going strong 6 weeks in. Keep it going!
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:59 am
  • Two months today since I had a smoke. JGfromthe NW... hope you're going OK.

It still ain't easy. It just suddenly drops on me at times (cravings), with no warning or logic. I just sometimes crave the feel of smoke in my airways... which to a non-smoker must be incomprehensible. I just feel... STARVED at times, there's a towering-something that is MISSING. It won't totally go away, but I'm 100% determined NOT to break discipline.

At the very worst (and this is what I was scared of, being a depressive) life can seem pointless, even, with no smoking. Just a huge thick bleak black cloud over everything.

Christ, two months of no smoking, and I still have to fight the proverbial monkey on my back. I have to RESIST. I'm (still) going strong, but I am NOT out of the woods. I can't guarantee I won't regress, but I'll hate myself if I do, and I hope that is enough inspiration.

Bloody hell, it just goes on and on and on.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 pm
  • May need to get some drug patch or see a doctor. As really am allergic to smoking myself. Waters my eyes and makes my sinuses go wired!
    October Skies!!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 am
  • Passepartout, I was having a bad day on Saturday, for no particular reason. I'm still taking Champix, although I stop that in about 5 weeks. But on Sunday, we went to Glendi (a Greek cultural festival) and I had an absolutely wonderful day, listening to Greek music, drinking a Greek beer I'd not had before (Mythos), and hoeing down on octopus and calamari, and other yummO Greek delicacies. I barely even thought of having a smoke all day. In fact it was very liberating, not thinking of where/when I'd have my next smoke.

Actually, the festival was held in a Square in the centre of the city, and I did not see a single person smoking, even though there were no actual No Smoking signs. It seems it's a "default" now, that public gatherings are non-smoking.

It's now around A$270 for a carton of 200 Benson & Hedges cigarettes... although I smoked rollies, which are not quite that bad, but WELL bad enough! The money I've saved in two months has all gone - my desktop computer blew up and I needed new CPU, motherboard and RAM, but such is life.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Passepartout, I was having a bad day on Saturday, for no particular reason. I'm still taking Champix, although I stop that in about 5 weeks. But on Sunday, we went to Glendi (a Greek cultural festival) and I had an absolutely wonderful day, listening to Greek music, drinking a Greek beer I'd not had before (Mythos), and hoeing down on octopus and calamari, and other yummO Greek delicacies. I barely even thought of having a smoke all day. In fact it was very liberating, not thinking of where/when I'd have my next smoke.

Actually, the festival was held in a Square in the centre of the city, and I did not see a single person smoking, even though there were no actual No Smoking signs. It seems it's a "default" now, that public gatherings are non-smoking.

It's now around A$270 for a carton of 200 Benson & Hedges cigarettes... although I smoked rollies, which are not quite that bad, but WELL bad enough! The money I've saved in two months has all gone - my desktop computer blew up and I needed new CPU, motherboard and RAM, but such is life.

I would call that the investment that worked out pretty well. Well done. and Keep up the great work.

Did you take pics of the Greek Festival? I am curious how it turned out. We have a Greek place in boise that I went to with an old classmate back a couple years ago. Pm if you want to send pics or I can give my email that way. Thanks.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:15 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 - no, I forgot my camera, sorry, so I have no photos of the Greek festival. Is there a significant sized Greek community in many areas of the States? Many Greek people here; in fact there's more Greeks in Melbourne than any city except Athens. Lots of people from so many parts of the world here, who overwhelmingly live in harmony, and enjoy each other's cultures, all well represented in the crowd at the festival.

I hate to think what our food would be like without immigration. Stodgy British-style meat and three veg, all grossly overcooked, is the stereotype. I remember when I was a kid, up until the mid 70s, squid was something used for fish bait. The thought it is simply delicious was unheard-of, as far as Brit-descended Australians were concerned. The thought of octopus also being gorgeous was unthinkable.

I think pizza would be the first "ethnic" (to use a rather stupid word) food to become "mainstream" in Australia, but it may have been Chinese, or perhaps kebabs. I simply can't imagine life without these foods, to say nothing of all the wonderful variety we have now, some of which (Afghan, East African) I confess I've not yet tried.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am
  • Greek...I dont know. I do have a friend that is part Greek and shows off some times that he is going to this restaurant or that one. He lives in Vegas so can have all the choices he wants. That place I mentioned is a small shopping center that has about 4 or 6 stores along with a restaurant or 2. Across the street is another small mall shopping center with half a dozen more shops and restaurant or 2.

From what I have seen, the easiest place to get foods is a major mall at their food court. But some of them are going the way of the dinosaur as the good elements bring in the bad or vice versa.

Several years back, I was working in Guam and went to the Micronesia Mall. They had a Philipino restaurant near a Vietnam restaurant. I asked for the same thing in one as the other on different days and was surprised they served the same thing with a few minor twists. I like Lumpia....a LOT. I have a friend whose wife will make spring rolls which are the same thing and we chomp a lot of them down.

There are a lot of Basque in my area. There are a few Basque competitions and dances that I have attended in the past. If you dont know...Basque are Spaniards that have settled in an area and most raise sheep. One of my friends owned a large farm in the area. Not sure what he is doing at the moment, though. I have heard another friend and his sister talk babble which is one of their dialects. It is interesting.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Sounds like you're doing great, Aussie. Very impressive you're still going strong 6 weeks in. Keep it going!

How are you going, JGfromtheNW? Three months for us last Monday, which was also our 35th wedding anniversary. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 01, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Sounds like you're doing great, Aussie. Very impressive you're still going strong 6 weeks in. Keep it going!

How are you going, JGfromtheNW? Three months for us last Monday, which was also our 35th wedding anniversary. :D

I've still been going strong, Aussie. From time to time I still get an urge, mostly when I'm out in public and I smell someone else smoking one, but that's about it nowadays. It's definitely gotten easier and easier for me. As others have said, I feel like my sense of smell and taste is stronger now, and I'm sure I smell a lot better. It's also nice not having to hide the smell and such lol.

How you doing with the quitting, Aussie?

PS - Congrats on the anniversary!
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 01, 2018 5:22 pm
  • A coworker of mine quit smoking a few months ago. When I asked him why, he said someone at work said something that struck home with him. They were chatting (the other coworker is newer to the company) about what they like to do, hobbies, etc. and the smoker said and I'm a smoker, and the other coworker said "That's something that would have to be overlooked."

Like, that's a negative about you that I'll have to try and ignore, lol. In any case, it was the right thing for the smoker to hear and he quit cold turkey and is still going strong.

P.S., cigarettes smell like ass and you smell like them 24/7/365 no matter what you do if you're a smoker, so don't go back to that crap. The noses of everyone around you appreciate it, kthx.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed May 02, 2018 2:55 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:How you doing with the quitting, Aussie?

PS - Congrats on the anniversary!

Thank you! I'm going really well, and I'm very pleased. I'm spending time rebuilding my R/C monster truck, and playing with my new Dremel rotary tool kit. Going for (almost) daily walks now - about 3km (~1.8 miles), and it is quite hilly ground where I live.

Haven't had many smoking urges for a while, even at three-quarter time at a very close footy match! Oh, and hey, WELL done to you too, sir! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:A coworker of mine quit smoking a few months ago. When I asked him why, he said someone at work said something that struck home with him. They were chatting (the other coworker is newer to the company) about what they like to do, hobbies, etc. and the smoker said and I'm a smoker, and the other coworker said "That's something that would have to be overlooked."

Like, that's a negative about you that I'll have to try and ignore, lol. In any case, it was the right thing for the smoker to hear and he quit cold turkey and is still going strong.

P.S., cigarettes smell like ass and you smell like them 24/7/365 no matter what you do if you're a smoker, so don't go back to that crap. The noses of everyone around you appreciate it, kthx.

It's good it made him quit. He must have been thinking of it seriously already, possibly? A smoker could get quite annoyed at that comment. But I can WELL understand how unpleasant the smoke is for a non-smoker, not to say invasively harmful.

I was embarrassed about the smoke stains on my fingers (bad, because I rolled my own) when I entered my PIN into an EFTPOS outlet, etc, but they disappeared in less than a fortnight.

Probably far too much info, sorry, but I'm having a little strife finding myself gnawing on my fingers, but that is a dumb habit I've always had to some extent.

One thing a doc said to me about 12 years ago (not my usual GP, as he was on leave) when he found out I was a smoker REALLY angered me, although I didn't say anything. He said I should buy a baby's dummy (you'd call it a pacifier, I think?) and suck on it in public, and that I'd look a lot less ridiculous than smoking a cigarette! Now (I'd tell him, if he hadn't since retired), I've used that horrid image when needed, when I first stopped smoking.

So, things're going great, but I'm not about to get smug about it! You hear of people going back to smoking after YEARS of stopping, which is such a terrible shame.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 6:11 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote: He said I should buy a baby's dummy (you'd call it a pacifier, I think?) and suck on it in public, and that I'd look a lot less ridiculous than smoking a cigarette!

We call it a pacifier, or colloquially a 'binky'. Google "Billy Bob Binky" and check out the ones I always buy for my grandkids, just to make their moms roll their eyes... :mrgreen: Then envision yourself sucking on one of them like the doctor said.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed May 02, 2018 6:22 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:So, things're going great, but I'm not about to get smug about it! You hear of people going back to smoking after YEARS of stopping, which is such a terrible shame.

My brother, who was about 7 years older than me, had quadruple bypass surgery. He was back smoking within a year. He lasted about another year after that.

Yeah, it's a nasty habit, and one of the hardest to break compared to other addictions.

Be strong, mate!

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:So, things're going great, but I'm not about to get smug about it! You hear of people going back to smoking after YEARS of stopping, which is such a terrible shame.

My brother, who was about 7 years older than me, had quadruple bypass surgery. He was back smoking within a year. He lasted about another year after that.

Yeah, it's a nasty habit, and one of the hardest to break compared to other addictions.

Be strong, mate!

Thank you, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your brother. Please, how old was he, and how long ago was this? Ignore this question if that is best, of course.

I felt guilty smoking for another 11 years after my thoracic surgery in 2006 (aortic dissection type A), but it didn't stop me from getting a friend to give me some tobacco, etc, so I could light up as soon as I got home. Mad, mad decisions I made in the grip of addiction.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:So, things're going great, but I'm not about to get smug about it! You hear of people going back to smoking after YEARS of stopping, which is such a terrible shame.

Be strong, mate!

Thank you, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your brother. Please, how old was he, and how long ago was this? Ignore this question if that is best, of course.

I felt guilty smoking for another 11 years after my thoracic surgery in 2006 (aortic dissection type A), but it didn't stop me from getting a friend to give me some tobacco, etc, so I could light up as soon as I got home. Mad, mad decisions I made in the grip of addiction.

No prob. He passed in 2006 or 7 IIRC, and he was about 66 yrs old at the time.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 am
  • Thanks, Sutz. Very sad.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm
  • Keep going strong fellas, it’s great to hear you’ve been smokeless. Have had many friends that smoked and tried to quit, and watched them struggle at times. Some successful, some not.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 am
  • I meant to post on July 23 that I hadn't had a smoke for 6 months, and only just tonight remembered to do so. Stopped Champix/varenicline course on that date, and really feel no different (ie, no significant desire to smoke has returned), so I'm really pleased. Not getting smug or carried away, but I'm really believing good progress.

JGfromtheNW, how are you faring?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08 am
  • Good job! Thanks for the update. :2thumbs:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm
  • Keep it up! I don't want the virtual stink of your former habit returning to this forum.

:lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Good job for the ones who quit..
    It is a nasty habit and expensive.I want to quit but I think I need to be locked uo
    for a week at least to do it.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:06 pm
  • I wanted to quit, but now that I know it bothers Roland I may up my consumption by a pack. :)

In seriousness good for you, I do want to quit but the wife smokes also and she can't use any of the pills etc because of her aneurism clips, blood thinning is a no no, so were kind of stuck with want but the will is harder with us both smoking.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:41 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I wanted to quit, but now that I know it bothers Roland I may up my consumption by a pack. :)

In seriousness good for you, I do want to quit but the wife smokes also and she can't use any of the pills etc because of her aneurism clips, blood thinning is a no no, so were kind of stuck with want but the will is harder with us both smoking.

Lol, you dick. :lol:

In all seriousness though, call Schick Shadel. Not cheap, but their addiction treatment is literally the best in the world. (For alcoholism, at least; not sure if they're the best at other addictions as well, but it wouldn't surprise me.)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 pm
  • Good for you, James!!
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:23 am
  • chris98251 wrote:I wanted to quit, but now that I know it bothers Roland I may up my consumption by a pack. :)

C'mon man. After I stopped smoking in 1997 (after being a smoker for 23 years) my wife kept smoking. She didn't stop until almost a year ago when she got a (thankfully false) diagnosis of lung cancer. Other people smoking aren't the real and actual reason you don't stop.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I wanted to quit, but now that I know it bothers Roland I may up my consumption by a pack. :)

C'mon man. After I stopped smoking in 1997 (after being a smoker for 23 years) my wife kept smoking. She didn't stop until almost a year ago when she got a (thankfully false) diagnosis of lung cancer. Other people smoking aren't the real and actual reason you don't stop.

In actuality true, but she doesn't drive and has health issues, I have to buy her cigarettes every day also, you must just have a better level of determination, I mean everyone should be as fortunate as you to just say no and do it, it's so easy a caveman can do it right? :)

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:46 am

I'm not sure if you've mentioned this before or not, but have you tried vaping?
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:14 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:In actuality true, but she doesn't drive and has health issues, I have to buy her cigarettes every day also, you must just have a better level of determination, I mean everyone should be as fortunate as you to just say no and do it, it's so easy a caveman can do it right? :)

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you "Face Facts Brutally", which is one of the Navy's 'Nuclear Principles'. I quit a zillion times, I quit so many times that I was kind of an expert on it. :mrgreen: It finally worked when I faced the fact that I was using excuses to make my not quitting easier for me to face in the past. Nobody wants to feel bad about themselves, after all. It also helped that I had started taking kung fu lessons (at age 37!), and trying to do the workouts with partially-functioning lungs was pretty painful. I was actually so addicted that when I suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung) back in the '80s I was sneaking smokes in the bathroom of the hospital room I was in. I wasn't like my buddy who could start and stop at will, and has for several years at a time many times since I met him in the Navy in '78.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:53 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:In actuality true, but she doesn't drive and has health issues, I have to buy her cigarettes every day also, you must just have a better level of determination, I mean everyone should be as fortunate as you to just say no and do it, it's so easy a caveman can do it right? :)

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help you "Face Facts Brutally", which is one of the Navy's 'Nuclear Principles'. I quit a zillion times, I quit so many times that I was kind of an expert on it. :mrgreen: It finally worked when I faced the fact that I was using excuses to make my not quitting easier for me to face in the past. Nobody wants to feel bad about themselves, after all. It also helped that I had started taking kung fu lessons (at age 37!), and trying to do the workouts with partially-functioning lungs was pretty painful. I was actually so addicted that when I suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung) back in the '80s I was sneaking smokes in the bathroom of the hospital room I was in. I wasn't like my buddy who could start and stop at will, and has for several years at a time many times since I met him in the Navy in '78.

Man I thought I was bad..I did get kicked out of a hospital for sneaking a smoke in the bathroom.
    I guess it endangers people with oxygen masks on or something but I felt stupid afterwards.
    I will try to quit soon but it's going to be a battle.I really do enjoy a few smokes out of the pack a day
    habit.When I have a story I'll post it on here.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I wanted to quit, but now that I know it bothers Roland I may up my consumption by a pack. :)

I'm not sure if you've mentioned this before or not, but have you tried vaping?

A friend of mine went that route and quit. Now he is skimming that route too. Not had a ciggy in 2 years now.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:In actuality true, but she doesn't drive and has health issues, I have to buy her cigarettes every day also, you must just have a better level of determination, I mean everyone should be as fortunate as you to just say no and do it, it's so easy a caveman can do it right? :)

No I wasn't trying to be an asshole either, when I have to run and buy them, be around it and all but inhale it's a tough nut to crack, add the general stress of her health trying to pick up the slack at home, and work and yes my reserves are low to take it on, smoking and her Phone and cable are all she has during the day and a few drinks for pain management. Really typing this out makes me depressed and want to have a smoke. But you get the picture. Been that way since 2007.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:49 am
  • I have a friend who quit by being hypnotized to feel sea sick whenever around cigarette smoke. It worked. It might be worth a try but it doesn’t work for everyone. I’ve also heard transferring the addiction habit to something less harmful like eating wheat thin or goldfish crackers helps get through it.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information