Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cutting the Cable Cord

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cutting the Cable Cord
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 am
  • I'm finally doing it.

I have assembled some pretty good hardware so far.

Nvidia Shield Android Streaming box
    Nice OTA antenna
    Decent computer tower
    4 TB external Hard Drive.

What I need help with if someone has experience is, how to record shows. I'm totally new to this and except for researching hardware, I simply don't know where to get some tips/answers.

Thanks in advance.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Re: Cutting the Cable Cord
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 am
  • What kind of shows are you wanting to record? Sitcoms/Dramas or live events? Most stations make their shows available a day later on their website. Live events are probably a little trickier . . .
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
  • Well, my wife like Greys anatomy so thats one, we both like Jeopardy, just a few series and things like that, I do have the computer and the Shield HDMI connections to the tv plus the TV is hardwired to the internet.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:33 pm
  • It looks like Windows media player has menus that can lead you where you want to go. I just clicked on it and tried to set up a tv show and was promptly told no. I dont have a tuner attached, so it was correct in slapping me. I would try that one time with whatever you want as a tester then set up what you want to record and see what happens. May also want to have a dvd burner available in case you want to record for posterity some odd program like sb48.....
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 am
  • I guess the main problem is that I have 3 sources of where the content comes from rather than one, so the challenge is to figure out how to zero in on one source to record, that is easy with the computer.

It's really nice to be free of DirecTv.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am
  • You need a HDHomerun. It includes tuners for your OTA antenna, and has a DVR service which can be controlled via an app.

Everything recorded can be view by the Shield.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am
  • taz291819 wrote:You need a HDHomerun. It includes tuners for your OTA antenna, and has a DVR service which can be controlled via an app.

Everything recorded can be view by the Shield.

Thanks Taz !!!!! But my Shield already has KODI and Plex is on it. There isn't anything they offer that I dont already have.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm
  • Seahawkville wrote:Thanks Taz !!!!! But my Shield already has KODI and Plex is on it. There isn't anything they offer that I dont already have.

You mean, besides the OTA antenna recording?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 am
  • I mean the offer OTA DVR's but most like Roku require a monthly cost. Tablo seems to be the best, but I'm trying to avoid any more hardware.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 am
  • Seahawkville wrote:I mean the offer OTA DVR's but most like Roku require a monthly cost. Tablo seems to be the best, but I'm trying to avoid any more hardware.

You still need the HDHomerun for the OTA tuners and ability to record. Kodi and Plex both have the ability to handle the DVR work I believe. I use Kodi on my Shield, but don't use any OTA tuners, so I'm just speaking from other user's experience. Most seem to have the HDHomerun in their setup.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 am
  • Best Buy has that (HD Homerun Dual) on sale for $70 right now. Has a lot of good reviews but they charge $35 per year for the DVR services. So in reality it's $105.

Actually the tuner in my TV picks up all the local channels really well. I guess one of the good things about this hardware is the ability to stream over WiFi, but we really don't use tv in other rooms.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:33 am

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:54 am
  • Seahawkville wrote:I have a brand new computer hooked up into the system so I started wondering if there was a format to record straight to the computer and the answer is yes.

https://www.amazon.com/HAUPPAUGE-WinTV- ... op?ie=UTF8

Yes, a Hauppauge would work as well. I believe Kodi has a plug-in for it as well.
    taz291819
    NET Veteran

Fri May 11, 2018 8:58 am
  • Cable is so expensive now it's absurd. My cable bill keeps going up and up and up. It's only worth it for live sports. If not for live football and live basketball and some ESPN coverage I wouldn't have it all. Honestly now a days I spend more time on my desktop and laptop than watching TV. I barely watch it anymore with the exception of sports. The prices are really a ripoff. Cable bills are out of control.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information