Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Thrones Showrunners to Create New Series of Star Wars Films

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Star Wars fatigue be damned!

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2018/ ... ss-to.html

Another new series of Star Wars films is in the works. Lucasfilm announced today that Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will create a brand new series of Star Wars films which are separate from the episodic Skywalker saga and the trilogy that The Last Jedi writer/director Rian Johnson is creating. The duo will write and produce the new series of films. No release dates (or directors) have been announced.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• My initial thoughts? First off, this won't be Thrones. Disney won't go there. My guess is that we start to see a move away from the Star Wars "feel" we've come to know, love and expect and start to see a move towards a more generic, Maze Runner/Divergent/Hunger Games sort of feel. Basically any sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian/cyber punk script Disney comes across could suddenly be Star Wars!

I'm on the fence about how I feel about this. I love Game of Thrones, but Benioff and Weiss are hardly the reason I fell in love with that story, and their catalog previous to Thrones is less than inspiring. It's hard to say what they're really capable of, considering they're expected to write and direct this new series, I definitely have my reservations. But I'm cautiously optimistic because Star Wars!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Why so much Star Wars? They are going to suck the life out of the franchise...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• I think it's time to just let the franchise finally die. Episode 7 was ok if only because it was the beneficiary of extremely low expectations. Time for a new space opera to take its place.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Pretty much how I feel about the announcement as well. GoT was absolute tops when it had source material to work off of, and it's still been enjoyable, but the writing (especially dialogue) has really taken a dip post-book material IMO. I'm sure that Benioff and Weiss will offer fantastic project management skills, which Disney should feel comfortable with. The final three seasons of GoT have been colossal undertakings, akin to running a full-fledged movie production from what it sounds like.

It might be a little weird having two trilogies (assumingly) rolling at the same time with Rian Johnson's planned as well. I'm curious which series will be seen as more "risky" or "original." My bet would be Johnson's after TLJ, but who knows!

Count me in the cautiously optimistic because Star Wars camp as well.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Disney didn't spend $4 Billion to kill off Star Wars. I don't know much, but I know that much.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Disney didn't spend $4 Billion to kill off Star Wars. I don't know much, but I know that much.

I think they finally recouped their $4 billion in 2017.

Time to close up shop.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:My initial thoughts? First off, this won't be Thrones. Disney won't go there. My guess is that we start to see a move away from the Star Wars "feel" we've come to know, love and expect and start to see a move towards a more generic, Maze Runner/Divergent/Hunger Games sort of feel. Basically any sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian/cyber punk script Disney comes across could suddenly be Star Wars!

I'm on the fence about how I feel about this. I love Game of Thrones, but Benioff and Weiss are hardly the reason I fell in love with that story, and their catalog previous to Thrones is less than inspiring. It's hard to say what they're really capable of, considering they're expected to write and direct this new series, I definitely have my reservations. But I'm cautiously optimistic because Star Wars!

I don't get why Disney is so nervous about damaging their precious brand by making darker more serious Star Wars movies.

They own multiple distribution studios, including Marvel. So why not give Benioff and Weis some liberty with making a darker series of movies.

Lord knows it's EXACTLY what most of us Star Wars fans want. Enough already with the sterile safe PC Star Wars movies.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:My initial thoughts? First off, this won't be Thrones. Disney won't go there. My guess is that we start to see a move away from the Star Wars "feel" we've come to know, love and expect and start to see a move towards a more generic, Maze Runner/Divergent/Hunger Games sort of feel. Basically any sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian/cyber punk script Disney comes across could suddenly be Star Wars!

I don't get why Disney is so nervous about damaging their precious brand by making darker more serious Star Wars movies.

They own multiple distribution studios, including Marvel. So why not give Benioff and Weis some liberty with making a darker series of movies.

Lord knows it's EXACTLY what most of us Star Wars fans want. Enough already with the sterile safe PC Star Wars movies.

I'm sure they'll go "darker" with these, I mean why else bring in these two knuckleheads? I just don't think they'll go extreme HBO Thrones style dark. Netflix Punisher is probably the most R rated thing we've gotten out of the MCU so far (correct me if I'm wrong), and I doubt they'll take Star Wars that far. But you never know.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:My initial thoughts? First off, this won't be Thrones. Disney won't go there. My guess is that we start to see a move away from the Star Wars "feel" we've come to know, love and expect and start to see a move towards a more generic, Maze Runner/Divergent/Hunger Games sort of feel. Basically any sci-fi/fantasy/dystopian/cyber punk script Disney comes across could suddenly be Star Wars!

I'm sure they'll go "darker" with these, I mean why else bring in these two knuckleheads? I just don't think they'll go extreme HBO Thrones style dark. Netflix Punisher is probably the most R rated thing we've gotten out of the MCU so far (correct me if I'm wrong), and I doubt they'll take Star Wars that far. But you never know.

Well everyone thought Disney bringing in Miller and Lord for the Solo project meant they were going to let them take more risks...........and then fired them and hired Mr. Boring himself, Ron Howard to boring it up.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I don't get why Disney is so nervous about damaging their precious brand by making darker more serious Star Wars movies.

Well everyone thought Disney bringing in Miller and Lord for the Solo project meant they were going to let them take more risks...........and then fired them and hired Mr. Boring himself, Ron Howard to boring it up.

I think they brought in those guys so it would be "fun" but they tried to turn it into Ace Ventura. At least that's what I heard. And if that's the case then I'm glad they made the change.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I don't get why Disney is so nervous about damaging their precious brand by making darker more serious Star Wars movies.

I think they brought in those guys so it would be "fun" but they tried to turn it into Ace Ventura. At least that's what I heard. And if that's the case then I'm glad they made the change.

We'll see.

The Solo movie looks fun, but doesn't look like anything out of the box.

I enjoyed Rogue One far more than the sequels, so I'm fine with Howard. But no, I don't expect any risks to be taken.

My point is if you're truly expanding the Star Wars universe and going off in all these different directions...........why make them all in the same tone and safe formula?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

We'll see.

The Solo movie looks fun, but doesn't look like anything out of the box.

I enjoyed Rogue One far more than the sequels, so I'm fine with Howard. But no, I don't expect any risks to be taken.

My point is if you're truly expanding the Star Wars universe and going off in all these different directions...........why make them all in the same tone and safe formula?

I think they felt like they had to start safe at first and I think they were probably right. I think you'll see them start to move in different directions now. How much risk taking or ground breaking they're willing to do obviously remains to be seen. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering.
    Last edited by Zebulon Dak on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I would like more set in the universe, but I'm admittedly a Star Wars nerd. I hope they're doing something with Darth Revan, but we'll see.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• It would be cool to go back when the Sith Order was much like the Jedi Order, the massacre and rise of the Sith Lords and Apprentice relationships and how the Apprentice get to a power level and kill the Masters :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:It would be cool to go back when the Sith Order was much like the Jedi Order, the massacre and rise of the Sith Lords and Apprentice relationships and how the Apprentice get to a power level and kill the Masters :)

Would definitely love a Darth Bane trilogy, which is the beginning of the Rule of Two IIRC. He's been made canon through The Clone Wars animated series, so it would be cool to see them flesh that out.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Darth Maul has quite a bit of stories in the animated series. I know he's a popular character, wonder if they'll dig into his story before/after Phantom
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information