Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Black Panther (Potential Spoilers)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Black Panther (Potential Spoilers)
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 pm
  • What a movie! Particularly like the strong female characters. Shuri (the little sister) was hilarious. I like the idea that a technologically advanced African nation was able to remain hidden and isolated from the rest of the world to the point that they were able to maintain their ancient traditions despite their modern tech. It's an interesting juxtaposition. I also enjoyed that the villain taught our hero a lesson for the betterment of mankind. It's not often you get an effective villain who, despite being angry and ruthless, ultimately had mankind's best interests in mind, even if his motivations were misguided. Really just a great job by Ryan Coogler bringing Wakanda into the MCU. Looking forward to where the story goes from here.

Oh, and war rhinos?? Badass.
    Last edited by Zebulon Dak on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Re: Black Panther (Potential Spoilers)
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm
  • Just got tickets to finally go see it. Finally is probably a bit of a stretch since it's only been out a week but it's the first Marvel movie I can remember that I haven't seen opening weekend.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:38 pm
  • Michael B. Jordan will win an Oscar someday.

Mark it down.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:00 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Michael B. Jordan will win an Oscar someday.

Mark it down.

For Creed 2!
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 pm
  • Got tix at a theater that has reserved seating with two ft of leg room and auto recliners with tray tables and cup holders everywhere so we will enjoy no matter what
    9 bucks , how can I go wrong , wait , don't answer that lol
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Shuri (the little sister) was hilarious.

She was my favorite character in the movie. Klaue was also quite an interesting character.

Zebulon Dak wrote:Oh, and war rhinos?? Badass.

Garbage.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 am
  • Damn. My favorite Marvel movie hands down. Just got home and gotta hit the hay, but I assume I'll appreciate this movie the more I consider and think back on it.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Damn. My favorite Marvel movie hands down. Just got home and gotta hit the hay, but I assume I'll appreciate this movie the more I consider and think back on it.

That's a bold statement. :shock:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Damn. My favorite Marvel movie hands down. Just got home and gotta hit the hay, but I assume I'll appreciate this movie the more I consider and think back on it.

Totally understand how people might not feel the same way as I do. It didn't have the best CGI or the best action sequences (plus there could have been more action), but I felt like T'Challa, Killmonger, the story and messages were fresh and really enjoyable.

One of the most sympathetic villains in a Superhero movie that I can remember. I actually got a little choked up with Killmonger's last line too. I can pretty much guarantee there won't be another bad guy in an MCEU movie that will make me feel that way. I also thought Andy Serkis did a great job with Klaw - I liked his Joker-esque chaos and craziness.

I thought all of Wakanda's technology and progression juxtaposed with the traditions was awesome. The settings and aesthetics were fantastic. I was extremely impressed with some of the imagery, especially the first time T'Challa goes to the Ancestral Plane and you see the Black Panthers resting in the tree. Absolutely loved this imagination of what their afterlife might be.

I loved the reveal of who Forest Whitaker's character was (in regards to the flashbacks) and his sacrifice. Really dug when T'Challa was defeated by Killmonger and then ends up being saved by the neighbor/rival clan. I thought it was interesting, at the very least visually, how he was kept in a pit with snow in it just like the pit with red sand in it that the Wakandans used. The neighbor clan's mountain complex was super cool looking too, I wanted to know what all those things hanging from the ceiling were in the "throne room."

And beyond that, I really liked T'Challa's character. Chadwick Boseman did a great job of playing him, IMO. I enjoyed how well spoken, good hearted and regal he appeared to be. It was like watching someone who had actually grown up being groomed to be a king. He wasn't some brutal authoritarian, he wasn't some emo pushover, he was balanced like a man who had the best of an entire civilization invested in him. His struggle with what to do with Wakanda's resources and tech, even his mercy towards Killmonger in the end...

"It's hard for a good man to be a king."
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Damn. My favorite Marvel movie hands down. Just got home and gotta hit the hay, but I assume I'll appreciate this movie the more I consider and think back on it.

Totally understand how people might not feel the same way as I do. It didn't have the best CGI or the best action sequences (plus there could have been more action), but I felt like T'Challa, Killmonger, the story and messages were fresh and really enjoyable.

One of the most sympathetic villains in a Superhero movie that I can remember. I actually got a little choked up with Killmonger's last line too. I can pretty much guarantee there won't be another bad guy in an MCEU movie that will make me feel that way. I also thought Andy Serkis did a great job with Klaw - I liked his Joker-esque chaos and craziness.

I thought all of Wakanda's technology and progression juxtaposed with the traditions was awesome. The settings and aesthetics were fantastic. I was extremely impressed with some of the imagery, especially the first time T'Challa goes to the Ancestral Plane and you see the Black Panthers resting in the tree. Absolutely loved this imagination of what their afterlife might be.

I loved the reveal of who Forest Whitaker's character was (in regards to the flashbacks) and his sacrifice. Really dug when T'Challa was defeated by Killmonger and then ends up being saved by the neighbor/rival clan. I thought it was interesting, at the very least visually, how he was kept in a pit with snow in it just like the pit with red sand in it that the Wakandans used. The neighbor clan's mountain complex was super cool looking too, I wanted to know what all those things hanging from the ceiling were in the "throne room."

And beyond that, I really liked T'Challa's character. Chadwick Boseman did a great job of playing him, IMO. I enjoyed how well spoken, good hearted and regal he appeared to be. It was like watching someone who had actually grown up being groomed to be a king. He wasn't some brutal authoritarian, he wasn't some emo pushover, he was balanced like a man who had the best of an entire civilization invested in him. His struggle with what to do with Wakanda's resources and tech, even his mercy towards Killmonger in the end...

"It's hard for a good man to be a king."

Great review JG, nailed my thoughts exactly.

The action sequences in Black Panther don't come close to the Nolan Batman movies, or even some of the other most recent Marvel movies...............you could interchange a dozen superheroes into the Black Panther action set pieces, and you wouldn't know the difference.

But that's not the point of this movie, it had loftier goals of touching on some socio-economic themes, and IMO Coogler and his writing team nailed it with a deft touch.

Not an easy feat, to elevate this type of script to achieve loftier themes, while still treating the source material with the fun and respect it deserves.

I thoroughly enjoyed Black Panther, REALLY well done.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 am
  • It's pretty good action. I enjoyed the movie. But I'm not sure it is worth all the hype it received.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 am
  • SanDiego49er wrote:It's pretty good action. I enjoyed the movie. But I'm not sure it is worth all the hype it received.

It definitely got a social/message bump, but Coogler had an amazingly deft touch with the subject matter, while still delivering a great superhero movie.

Not an easy feat, Black Panther could have easily turned into a ham fisted knock you over the head with the message type of movie...........and IMO Coogler and his writers did a fantastic job of balancing the entire thing.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information