Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Baby Driver

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Baby Driver
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:19 pm
  • Just saw this movie. While I love Edgar Wright's Blood & Ice Cream trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End) and I enjoy Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, this is easily his best film. I loved every minute. Can't recommend this enough.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Baby Driver
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 am
  • Baby Driver was one of my favorite movies of 2017, no doubt. I actually went into it blind without seeing any trailers and left the theaters very satisfied.

I think it's interesting how it's seen as a "driver" movie, but the driving becomes less and less important through the film. I know other movies have done the same, but I like how the driving scenes through the movie basically go from long and action packed to the last "getaway" basically being him plowing straight into the vehicle in front of him.

Just thinking back on how great the characters were between Buddy, Darling, Bats and Doc.... I need to watch this again, damn.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am
  • While I enjoyed Baby Driver, I didn't like it as much as you guys.........and I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan. Anytime someone asks me my favorite trilogy or movie series I'll say The Cornetto Trilogy.

I thought Wright tried too hard and made it TOO self aware of it's slick hipster coolness.

Don't get me wrong, Baby Driver is perfectly paced and had a good balance of humor and awesome action.........but anytime you make a movie like this, it's easy to cross the line into self aware cheesy try too hard land, and I felt Wright crossed the line numerous times.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:20 am
  • Great movie, actually saw it on Saturday night with the Mrs.

I wish the female bank robber would have lasted longer, she was easy on the eyes :D
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:While I enjoyed Baby Driver, I didn't like it as much as you guys.........and I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan. Anytime someone asks me my favorite trilogy or movie series I'll say The Cornetto Trilogy.

I thought Wright tried too hard and made it TOO self aware of it's slick hipster coolness.

Don't get me wrong, Baby Driver is perfectly paced and had a good balance of humor and awesome action.........but anytime you make a movie like this, it's easy to cross the line into self aware cheesy try too hard land, and I felt Wright crossed the line numerous times.

Hmmm too self aware huh? I could see that. I thought it was tastefully done and, IIRC, just translated to being a very stylized take on this type of movie.

Maybe I'll feel differently watching it a second time.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 am
  • It was ok, same as Annihilation. Saw both and seen it before. Yawn.
    GIRL POWER !!!!!!!
    Ginahawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:While I enjoyed Baby Driver, I didn't like it as much as you guys.........and I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan. Anytime someone asks me my favorite trilogy or movie series I'll say The Cornetto Trilogy.

Hmmm too self aware huh? I could see that. I thought it was tastefully done and, IIRC, just translated to being a very stylized take on this type of movie.

Watched it a handful of times. It gets better. Some of the dialogue you missed the first time, the synchronization of the music with the action...and the acting is better with each watch.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm
  • It’s what I would consider a “fun” movie. One of those that you enjoy but it has some holes. Kevin Spacey is a great actor, but his character was really a bit of a let down. In the beginning he comes off as this mysterious, hard-ass businessman, but as the movie progresses he loses that edginess to the point where he does a complete 180 and ends up helping Baby, even after Baby screws up, because he was once young and in love too. I would have much rather seen Baby kill him off than what happened in the movie. I found it cliche and for some reason it really bothers me and I get hung up on it every time I think about it.

Now the movie Drive with Ryan Gosling is a truly great driver movie.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:44 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:While I enjoyed Baby Driver, I didn't like it as much as you guys.........and I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan. Anytime someone asks me my favorite trilogy or movie series I'll say The Cornetto Trilogy.

Watched it a handful of times. It gets better. Some of the dialogue you missed the first time, the synchronization of the music with the action...and the acting is better with each watch.

I remember the synchronization of the music and action was one of my favorite parts of the movie's style.

HAWKAMANIA wrote:Now the movie Drive with Ryan Gosling is a truly great driver movie.

Drive is a fantastic movie. One of my all-time favorites.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:57 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:

For sure, you're touching on one of Wright's strongest attributes as a writer/director, going all the way back to Spaced. He's brilliant at the fast paced cut editing and music synchronization.

I just thought Wright got a little too cute for his own good, so I didn't enjoy Baby Driver as much as his other movies.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information