Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The original 4 minute man has passed...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The original 4 minute man has passed...
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:59 am
  • Obituary: Roger Bannister

Roger Bannister, who has died at the age of 88, was the first man to run a mile in under four minutes.

Sir Roger, who was knighted in 1975, had been suffering from Parkinson's disease since 2011.

The record time in Oxford established him as one of the great names of British athletics.

In an age of the gentleman amateur, Bannister saw his running as something to be done in his spare time.

He once wrote that the ideal athlete was one who enjoyed a few drinks and even the odd cigarette.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I remember reading about him. The scientific community had "proven" that nobody could run a sub-four-minute mile. Nobody was expecting it to ever happen.

Then, as tends to happen, science got a wake-up call. I always thought this was a good example of how we need to keep in mind that the tendency for hard facts we "know" to be true tend to change over time with new discoveries and information.

Rest in peace, Sir Roger.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Then, as tends to happen, science got a wake-up call. I always thought this was a good example of how we need to keep in mind that the tendency for hard facts we "know" to be true tend to change over time with new discoveries and information.

AMEN!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• RolandDeschain wrote:Rest in peace, Sir Roger.

Well said, Roland. I remember reading about him when I was very young, and his rivalry with John Landy, an Australian, who I think was the second person to run a four minute mile.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Rest in peace, Sir Roger.

Well said, Roland. I remember reading about him when I was very young, and his rivalry with John Landy, an Australian, who I think was the second person to run a four minute mile.

Yeah, it's almost like nobody tried to break it because they were told it was impossible, but then it was broken by a bunch of people in fairly short succession after Roger did it, lol.

To any kids or young people reading this, don't let what "can't happen" stop you from trying to achieve it.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Wasn't it once a "proven fact" that travelling at 60mph (100kph) would kill a person?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:Wasn't it once a "proven fact" that travelling at 60mph (100kph) would kill a person?

That I've not heard. Care to link? Granted, we also used to hang people for witchcraft...to think we aren't still susceptible to horribly wrong lines of thinking just because we've been advancing technology is naive, IMO.

Hell, look at the Middle East...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:Wasn't it once a "proven fact" that travelling at 60mph (100kph) would kill a person?

That I've not heard. Care to link? Granted, we also used to hang people for witchcraft...to think we aren't still susceptible to horribly wrong lines of thinking just because we've been advancing technology is naive, IMO.

I think that one dates back to the old train era, when 35 mph was considered 'breakneck' speed.

Of course, it is true that going faster increases risk, but technology has been able to offset that along the way.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:Wasn't it once a "proven fact" that travelling at 60mph (100kph) would kill a person?

I think that one dates back to the old train era, when 35 mph was considered 'breakneck' speed.

Of course, it is true that going faster increases risk, but technology has been able to offset that along the way.

Buckboard with a set of 4 horses. Go too fast and you end up getting bounced around and if there is a turn...hopefully your brother dont push you off. LOL
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I have heard it's scientifically impossible to send me $1000 on paypal. It can't be done, guys.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:

That I've not heard. Care to link?

I don't have a link - just something I osmosed (if that is even a word) somewhere/when. I think it was about the time we were told in primary school that if you dared to cut a golf ball open, there were miles of razor-sharp metallic ribbon coiled inside it at gigantic pressure, and it would explode and shred you to little pieces. If you by some miracle survived that, there was a core in the middle of the ball which was filled with an incredibly corrosive green slime, which would instantly dissolve what was left of you.

But... what the HELL has this got to do with Roger Bannister? :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:I have heard it's scientifically impossible to send me $1000 on paypal. It can't be done, guys.

The only part that's scientifically possible is that you deserve to receive it.

:lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:I remember reading about him. The scientific community had "proven" that nobody could run a sub-four-minute mile. Nobody was expecting it to ever happen.

Then, as tends to happen, science got a wake-up call. I always thought this was a good example of how we need to keep in mind that the tendency for hard facts we "know" to be true tend to change over time with new discoveries and information.

Rest in peace, Sir Roger.

Good post.

In 20 years we are all going to make fun of what we thought science knew about everything from global warming to nutrition. It's why I never fully invest myself into the current scientific consensus on things, while at the same time still respecting the process as a means of slowly gaining knowledge.

I was all set to come in here and post something about how a guy who can run a mile ain't anything special. But if he did it against the consensus of the scientific community, then my God this man is not only a hero, but should be the first thing children learn about in elementary school history. No offense to George Washington.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information