Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Spitfire pilot from WWII

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Spitfire pilot from WWII
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Re: Spitfire pilot from WWII
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 pm
  • Yeah that's great stuff!

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45 pm
  • What an awesome little documentary.

Thank you for posting this, made my evening.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 am
  • Yes, thank you for posting this marvelous documentary. A bit emotional, as I would LOVE to be able to share it with my dad, who passed away in 2013. I had no idea Americans flew Spitfires, but I would not be surprised if he knew.

I was at RAF Duxford near Cambridge, where there is a large Imperial War Museum, in 2014:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

To my total amazement, a Spitfire suddenly appeared on the taxiway, took off and proceeded to do aerobatics over the airfield for at least 10-15 minutes. It was just total luck I was there at the time, and my wife said she'd never seen me move so fast, as I raced to the perimeter fence. Almost every type my dad flew was on display in the museum, although he was Royal Navy.

He did get his supersonic badge in a RAF plane (a Hawker Hunter) - he did a Flight Instructor's Course at a RAF base at some stage, and grabbed the opportunity to fly the Hunter, which I think was Britain's first supersonic plane; probably "equivalent" to the F-100 Super Sabre, although it did have to enter a shallow dive to achieve Mach 1, whereas the F-100 could do it in level flight.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:24 am
  • I can't even imagine doing what this fella did. Fly to and over Berlin WITHOUT ANY WEAPONS? No thanks.

The look on his face at the end of the vid is priceless.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:35 pm
  • The Spitfire is a respected WW2 plane.
    There are variations of that craft even one that flew off a carrier.
    The Tempest came later which was more like the P51 ..
    I'm sorry for going on but I used to play Fighter Ace and Warbirds ect
    Loved trying many different aircraft but for dogfighting,the Spitfire was a favorite.
    The climb rate,turns and diving of that plane was unreal.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Yes, thank you for posting this marvelous documentary. A bit emotional, as I would LOVE to be able to share it with my dad, who passed away in 2013. I had no idea Americans flew Spitfires, but I would not be surprised if he knew.

I was at RAF Duxford near Cambridge, where there is a large Imperial War Museum, in 2014:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

To my total amazement, a Spitfire suddenly appeared on the taxiway, took off and proceeded to do aerobatics over the airfield for at least 10-15 minutes. It was just total luck I was there at the time, and my wife said she'd never seen me move so fast, as I raced to the perimeter fence. Almost every type my dad flew was on display in the museum, although he was Royal Navy.

He did get his supersonic badge in a RAF plane (a Hawker Hunter) - he did a Flight Instructor's Course at a RAF base at some stage, and grabbed the opportunity to fly the Hunter, which I think was Britain's first supersonic plane; probably "equivalent" to the F-100 Super Sabre, although it did have to enter a shallow dive to achieve Mach 1, whereas the F-100 could do it in level flight.

That's awesome about your father! As for the Spitfire, what a jewel. Of course I have never had the honor nor luxury to fly the real thing but for what it's worth I have invested a lot of coin over the years in payware add-ons for my flight simulator (FSX). I have many quality add-ons with exceptional flight dynamics and realism and the Spitfire is by far the sweetest flying WWII warbird in my fleet. Where with the P-51D, P-47, etc, you really have to earn it on the sticks, the Spitfire flies like a Cadillac. No wonder the British loved her.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Pretty cool. The guy and the others like him are American Hero’s.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information