Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Youtube TV

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Youtube TV
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:03 pm
  • I'm considering dropping cable TV and signing up for YouTube TV. Does anyone here currently subscribe? If so, how do you like it? Any major drawbacks?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Youtube TV
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:32 pm
  • Ive never used youtube tv as it is a mobile only platform and I refuse to screencast my main source of TV. If thats not a problem for you then I would say sign up for a trial and see how you like it. Otherwise I would suggest Hulu w/live TV or Playstation Vue.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Ive never used youtube tv as it is a mobile only platform and I refuse to screencast my main source of TV. If thats not a problem for you then I would say sign up for a trial and see how you like it. Otherwise I would suggest Hulu w/live TV or Playstation Vue.

It's not mobile only. If I get it I'll watch it on my TV through my Xbox One. You can also watch it using Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, or Samsung & LG Internet-ready TVs.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:45 am
  • I've not used youtube TV but there are plenty of options out there to go cable free. Sling and then a good TV antenna will cover most of what you need.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:06 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:Ive never used youtube tv as it is a mobile only platform and I refuse to screencast my main source of TV. If thats not a problem for you then I would say sign up for a trial and see how you like it. Otherwise I would suggest Hulu w/live TV or Playstation Vue.

It's not mobile only. If I get it I'll watch it on my TV through my Xbox One. You can also watch it using Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, or Samsung & LG Internet-ready TVs.

They must have changed that since last year. Regardless, it wont work for me because I use Amazon Fire TV. Google and Amazon are fueding so they won't support eachothers products.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:59 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:They must have changed that since last year. Regardless, it wont work for me because I use Amazon Fire TV. Google and Amazon are fueding so they won't support eachothers products.

Amazon refusing to carry the Chromecast on its site probably doesn't help, along with their refusal to use regular Android and instead making their own messy fork with its own app store for their Fire tablets all these years, lol.

I wish they would kiss and make up, but based on public knowledge, it's mainly Amazon being stubborn from what I know - which is frustrating, I'd rather see them team up against Apple. ;)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:52 pm
  • Iptv...best out there imo.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Iptv...best out there imo.

IPTV is a protocol. Which provider are you using?

Also, I have no personal experience with any of them really besides Sling (which I was kind of disappointed in, in terms of channel availability), but I've heard good things about Playstation Vue from a couple of coworkers who use it.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:19 pm
  • So I went ahead and signed up for the 1-week free trial. Even with my slow internet (10 Mb/s) I have no big problems with the stream beyond an occasional buffer that may last a couple seconds. And with the money I'll save from dropping cable TV I'll be able to afford to increase my speed to 30Mb/s and still save about $13 a month. Unless some big issue pops up while using it tonight I'll be calling my cable company tomorrow to make the changes to my service.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:25 pm
  • Also if you want to save even more money you can share your youtube tv with up to 5 different people. So you can split the costs. Everyone uses their own accounts and no one but the main person sees the billing stuff. Just a suggestion.

https://support.google.com/families/ans ... 1139?hl=en
    DonovanJM
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:48 pm
  • Congrats! Anything people do to help break up the huge traditional cable TV monopolies, I'm all for.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 am
  • Just tagging on this a note I saw on tv. Looks like Basketball is allowing outside the area broadcasting for a fee in local areas next season. I saw it on the bottom line on I think it was ESPN...as I was at a local. Maybe NFL next...if they can keep their nose clean.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:43 pm
  • It's done. I am officially a cord-cutter. And I got a better deal than I thought. When I called my cable company to cancel my TV service and upgrade my internet they told me that instead of paying $74.95/month for 30Mb/s they were offering a promotion where I could get 100Mb/s for only $69.95/month and that price will be good for 24 months. So I'm saving $18/month instead of $13 and getting much faster internet.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm
  • Lol, are you sure you're on DSL and not cable? DSL hitting speeds of 100Mbps is nearly unheard of.

Regardless, congrats. Way to stick it to the man! In a few years we'll all be able to get gigabit satellite Internet through Elon Musk's company, SpaceX, and REALLY be able to stick it to the man. I can't wait to tell the cable company to piss off for Internet, too. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Lol, are you sure you're on DSL and not cable? DSL hitting speeds of 100Mbps is nearly unheard of.

Regardless, congrats. Way to stick it to the man! In a few years we'll all be able to get gigabit satellite Internet through Elon Musk's company, SpaceX, and REALLY be able to stick it to the man. I can't wait to tell the cable company to piss off for Internet, too. :)

I never said I was on DSL, I always said cable.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:37 pm
  • Now that I've put down the crack pipe, I see you are correct. I don't know where the hell I got that idea from.

Carry on. :salute:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 pm
  • YouTube doesn't have a deal with NFL/FOX. So no Hawks FOX games (which is alot of them). Only thing stopping me at this point.
    cnjvh
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:52 pm
  • cnjvh wrote:YouTube doesn't have a deal with NFL/FOX. So no Hawks FOX games (which is alot of them). Only thing stopping me at this point.

I have already decided that I am going to cut the cord as soon as I can do so penalty free, and one thing I did consider was the NFL situation, but as I don't have DirecTV, I rely on my local station for the games (luckily they do play most of them locally for me) and if not, I'd have to find another way to watch them anyway, so this really won't change my thoughts on cord cutting.

My current plan is to get an antennae for local channels and select one of the many streaming services. I just need to decide which of the services will get me what I need for the best price, and which antennae will work best in my area. Luckily (or not so luckily) I'm still tied to my cable for a bit longer, so I have time to figure it all out.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 pm
  • cnjvh wrote:YouTube doesn't have a deal with NFL/FOX. So no Hawks FOX games (which is alot of them). Only thing stopping me at this point.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. In the vast majority of markets YouTube TV carries the local Fox station.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information