Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

R. Lee Ermey has passed away.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
R. Lee Ermey has passed away.
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: R. Lee Ermey has passed away.
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm
  • RIP Gunny. :cry:

There is a quote made famous in Full Metal Jacket. It's actually the Riflemen's Creed. "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."
    There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS. And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That's what he wanted most of all.
    Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.

The Kansas native was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for his memorable performance in "Full Metal Jacket," immortalizing lines like "What is your major malfunction?" He also voiced the little green army man Sarge in the "Toy Story" films and played a helicopter pilot in "Apocalypse Now," among many other roles.

Rogin says that while his characters were often hard and principled, the real Ermey was a family man and a kind and gentle soul who supported the men and women who serve.

Ermey, who was well known for his acting roles as characters in the U.S. military, served in the United States Marine Corps for 11 years. The actor rose to Staff Sargeant and was given honorary rank by the Marine Corps as Gunnery Sergeant, according to IMDb.

"The Gunny" served in Vietnam and Japan, committing to 14 months during the Vietnam War. Most recently, he was a voice actor in the videogame "Disney Magic Kingdown" in 2016 as well as "The Simpsons" in 2015. IMDb says he has over 120 credits as an actor of some capacity.

The Hollywood Reporter says Ermey took acting classes in order to learn his craft. After taking the courses, he starred as a pilot in the 1979 movie "Apocalypse Now" before landing the 1987 well-known movie "Full Metal Jacket." He was originally brought on to advise the eventual actor on the movie but was given the role himself because of his performance.

“I'd say fifty percent of Lee's dialogue, specifically the insult stuff, came from Lee. You see, in the course of hiring the marine recruits, we interviewed hundreds of guys,” director Stanley Kubrick said in a 1987 interview with Rolling Stone. “We lined them all up and did an improvisation of the first meeting with the drill instructor. They didn't know what he was going to say, and we could see how they reacted. Lee came up with, I don't know, 150 pages of insults.”

http://komonews.com/news/entertainment/ ... -age-of-74
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:42 pm
  • RIP Sergeant. Oh who am I kidding, you are probably already giving them Hell in Heaven.

"You call that robe white? LOOK AT ME WHEN I AM TALKING TO YOU MAGGOT!"

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm
  • RIP. :(
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 am
  • Loved that movie and he really made it a better one than it otherwise would have been.
    RIP.."Semper Fi"
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 pm
  • What is your major malfunction numbnuts!

Great actor...not many like him left.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information