Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

North Carolina restaurant serving up ‘tarantula burger’

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

For whatever reason, a Durham, N.C. restaurant is serving up a burger that would make anyone with arachnophobia scream.

Bull City Burger and Brewery is serving up the “tarantula burger.”

They said it's for Exotic Meat Month, but the only way to get ahold of the eight-legged beef sandwich is by winning the Tarantula Challenge, meaning you have to sign up for a lottery.

The burger costs $30 and includes a pasture-raised North Carolina beef-burger, gruyere cheese, an oven-roasted tarantula and spicy chili sauce.

You can sign up for the limited challenge in the restaurant.

If you eat the entire burger, you get a free t-shirt. :drool:

http://komonews.com/news/offbeat/north- ... ula-burger
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Have you ever seen the goo that comes out when you smash a spider? Oh yeah, I want to eat that...
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• My wife and I were debating this last night when I showed her this story. She's deathly afraid of spiders, so I asked her how much it'd take to eat this..............and she said she wouldn't even do it for a million dollars.

So I told her I'd divorce her if she turned down $1,000,000 to eat a tarantula burger.

Question, what's the minimum it'd take for you to eat this? I think I'd do it for $1,000.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• That thing has turned green and still has hair on it. Thats disgusting.

But I would eat it for 10k. Maybe 5k.

Now way for as little as 1k.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Bruce, curse you - you owe me at least a grand for fleetingly even looking at that disgusting pic! {{{shudder}}}
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Why wreck a good sandwich with a beef patty?
    Chiekamon
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:My wife and I were debating this last night when I showed her this story. She's deathly afraid of spiders, so I asked her how much it'd take to eat this..............and she said she wouldn't even do it for a million dollars.

So I told her I'd divorce her if she turned down $1,000,000 to eat a tarantula burger.

Question, what's the minimum it'd take for you to eat this? I think I'd do it for $1,000.

I find it amusing to entertain questions like this, but in this case, I don't think I could physically do it. I couldn't keep the food down...
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:My wife and I were debating this last night when I showed her this story. She's deathly afraid of spiders, so I asked her how much it'd take to eat this..............and she said she wouldn't even do it for a million dollars.

I find it amusing to entertain questions like this, but in this case, I don't think I could physically do it. I couldn't keep the food down...

Divorced!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• The Tarantula looks undercooked, that sonofabitch should be almost charcoal, it's sack a shriveled husk, looks way to plumb for my liking, imagine taking a bite across that bitch and getting a mouthful of something that tastes a lot different then burger and chili sauce.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• HARD PASS.

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Spiders to me are more or less land based crabs, just smaller and with soft shells. Got to wonder if they taste similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:Spiders to me are more or less land based crabs, just smaller and with soft shells. Got to wonder if they taste similar?

You have a chance let us all know what you find out :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• toffee wrote:Spiders to me are more or less land based crabs, just smaller and with soft shells. Got to wonder if they taste similar?

My arachnophobia actually "extends" to crabs! I think it's the shape-thing and all those scrabbly legs, plus the claws, which are quite formidable on our local blue swimmer crabs. Crabbing for these is very popular, either using pots/traps, or by scooping up with a rake and plonking them in a baby bath you tow with a rope around your waist walking in the shallows. They are delicious, although I prefer prawns or (very rarely, as it is so expensive) crayfish.

I didn't much like looking at the tank full of Dungeness crabs in the supermarket at Silverdale, WA, but they sure are tasty!

But I don't have a phobia of large insects (unless they are stinging species) or lobsters/crayfish. It's a silly shape-thing, I guess - phobias are illogical anyway! Well, I know I can pick up a lobster and not get in reach of its claws, but not sure a crab, not that I ever intend trying.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Funny you mention crabs Aussie...There is nothing on this planet I covet more food-wise than crab. Snow, Dungeness, King, Blue, on and on and on...I totally see the irony in me loving crab even though they look like sea spiders!!

For me the distinction is easy. Crabs have hard shells. Spiders have hairy legs and multiple eyes!! BLEECK!!!

Case closed!!

LOL

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Sgt. Largent wrote:My wife and I were debating this last night when I showed her this story. She's deathly afraid of spiders, so I asked her how much it'd take to eat this..............and she said she wouldn't even do it for a million dollars.

A billion dollars. With a B. Yes you heard that right.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

$100. If they're able to serve it, it's obviously not going to harm you. That sounds like free money for eating a hamburger. Can't be that much different from eating a grasshopper.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:$100. If they're able to serve it, it's obviously not going to harm you. That sounds like free money for eating a hamburger. Can't be that much different from eating a grasshopper.

You are probably right but it's not the taste or maybe even the texture, but the mental aspect (You are eating a big ass hairy spider) that would doom me.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Funny you mention crabs Aussie...There is nothing on this planet I covet more food-wise than crab. Snow, Dungeness, King, Blue, on and on and on...I totally see the irony in me loving crab even though they look like sea spiders!!

For me the distinction is easy. Crabs have hard shells. Spiders have hairy legs and multiple eyes!! BLEECK!!!

Case closed!!

Yes, the multiple eyes doesn't help with the phobia... but I realise I should simply view this as a biological marvel. And spiders eat so many insects which would otherwise be pests, far more so. The "horrible" hunstman spider (a large one will be the size of the palm of your hand) is utterly harmless, is utterly run-away in nature unless cornered, when it will (who can blame it) stand and fight.

UGH, it's the furry legs and bloated blobby abdomen... the images of multiple eyes, and large fangs, and just sheer HORRORness, somehow, of the very shape. Ridiculous, really - you could say human snobbery at its worst, maybe.

But when I see one, I just panic. Instant tachycardia, nausea and terror. The fault is mine - the poor spider is just living its life, and I should really never kill one (or mostly get my my wife to, as she is unafraid). She gets exasperated with my severe arachnophobia, as did my parents.

Crabs indeed have hard shells, and spiders don't (I think it is what distinguishes them from insects, as they are arthropods), but for some stupid reason the lookalike "shape" terrifies me, but the fault is MINE. It is simply biology, which needs no apology... stuff the stupidity of a phobia of a later evolved hominid, ie, ME. But I'll still be terrified of a hunstman... {{{ewww}}}
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:$100. If they're able to serve it, it's obviously not going to harm you. That sounds like free money for eating a hamburger. Can't be that much different from eating a grasshopper.

You are probably right but it's not the taste or maybe even the texture, but the mental aspect (You are eating a big ass hairy spider) that would doom me.

I, {{{shudder}}}, don't want to even think of this. The horror of even fleetingly seeing the OP photo was bad enough. Curse you, I want to UNsee it, somehow. I agree with [sensible] Aros - a BILLION is not enough to even think of this. EWW!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Aros wrote:Funny you mention crabs Aussie...There is nothing on this planet I covet more food-wise than crab. Snow, Dungeness, King, Blue, on and on and on...I totally see the irony in me loving crab even though they look like sea spiders!!

Case closed!!

LOL

There’r soft shell crabs, popular in Japanese restaurants. kinda pricey but lots of calcium’s I would imagine, since one eats the shells also.

toffee
    NET Veteran

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• How could anybody eat that? It's so horrible. Is it even safe to do so? I wouldn't try it. No way.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information