Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

1 dead, 1 injured in cougar attack near North Bend

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • One person was killed and a second person injured in a cougar attack near North Bend Saturday.

According to the King County Sheriff's Office, two men were riding road bikes when the cougar attacked both of them.

A man in his 40s was taken to Harborview Medical Center for his injuries; his condition was unknown. The second man fled into the woods with the cougar chasing after him.

After a brief search for the second victim, the King County Sheriff's Office confirmed the effort was now a recovery mission for the second man's body.

The cougar is still on the loose.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... ce=twitter
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Horrific turn of events for two buddy's riding bikes in the woods. I live in the foothills, maybe only 15 miles from this incident, and I hike and run in wooded trails by my house every day. I am always fearful of coming upon something with large claws and teeth with a taste for meat. Luckily all I've seen so far is deer. We have seen elk and bobcats around and bears too but so far so good.

Tragic. Poor family. Poor guy. Must have been a horrible way to go.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Very sad. Yet another reason why I always make sure to carry a large caliber pistol in the woods. There are many four and even some two legged creatures that would love to kill you.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• What the hell, I've cycled around that area, maybe on that road before.

I've thought about taking my .45 with me on long rides, guess I need to. I don't think there are any cats in the Phoenix part of Arizona, but there are coyotes and such...along with snakes and scorpions, not that a pistol's of much use against those. Well, maybe the snakes...good luck to me trying to hit a moving scorpion with a pistol, though. Lol.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Hell, I'd question my ability to even hit a cougar with a pistol. But that's just because I don't practice shooting and I would probably panic if it was coming after me. Also, I don't have a pistol.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Like with any wild animal, when you run your prey, as hard as it is standing your ground and making yourself look bigger and staring it down while slowly backing away is a safer bet only because the animal looks at it as work and will not be sure of the outcome. Been stalked by cougar in Eastern Washington when I was feeding my father in laws horses in the Winter while he was out of town, not a fun feeling. Thank God my dog was with me, she would not leave my side, but alerted me.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• We were hiking several years ago up above Greenwater and stopped to take some pictures and stop for a rest. We were there about 10 minutes and one of the guys I was with spotted a giant Cougar about 40 yards away perched up on a ridgeline above us just watching us. Not a very good feeling knowing it was probably shadowing us the entire way up and none of us knew it was there.

I would much rather cross paths with a Black bear than a Cougar.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Sounds like they did everything right at first. After the initial attack, maybe the one who ran into the woods was in shock and wasn't thinking right. It would be extremely hard to keep your composure at that point.

The mountain lion was tracked and killed.

The Sheriff's Office said the two men were mountain biking Saturday morning down a remote road when they came in contact with the mountain lion.

The mountain lion mauled one of the men and turned to the second man and started mauling him.

That was when the first victim got up and managed to ride nearly two miles on his bike to get cell reception to call 911 at about 11 a.m. He was then taken to the hospital.

Law enforcement rushed to the area near Lake Hancock Road and Tolt Reservoir Road and found the cougar standing over the other man's body. Officials say they shot at it and it ran away.

The man found was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Sheriff's Office said about 4 p.m. Saturday that Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife found and killed the mountain lion that is believed to be responsible for the attacks.

Steve Mickel is in the area a lot for work and bought a wildlife camera. Three weeks ago, he caught a mountain lion walking through the same area. He's not sure if it is the same one, but he says there is no shortage of wildlife in the area.

"Realize that wow, there are things out here that are very powerful and this is their space, you just have to respect that," Mickel said.

Captain Alan Myers with Fish and Wildlife says the two men didn't do anything to provoke the animal.

"It sounds like they were just riding bikes when of the victims hears a scream from his partner and sees they're being chased by a cougar," Myers said.

The men then fought it off once, swinging their bikes and the mountain lion ran back in the woods.

"Make a lot of noise, which is exactly what we tell people to do. Don't run, whatever you do, don't run, throw things at it, make noise. It sounds like that's what they started doing initially."

But then, officials say as the men were trying to understand what just occurred, the mountain lion attacked again.

The man who survived said he had his entire head in the mountain lion's mouth, but then his friend ran away and the animal chased him. That is when the survivor made his bike ride to call 911.

Fish and Wildlife said this is only the second mountain lion attack death in Washington state in the last 100 years.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Still can't understand why they kill them, it's their territory and people invade it unprepared, all nice and cuddly and pretty on TV. We encroach and they pay if they do whats natural.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'm curious why the Cougar attacked. There's a reason this is only the second death by a Cougar in 100 years. It's not like they were poking its cubs in their den. They were riding bikes on an open trail. While I generally agree it sucks the Cougar had to be killed but I don't fault them for doing it. For all they knew it would strike again, and soon.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:I'm curious why the Cougar attacked. There's a reason this is only the second death by a Cougar in 100 years. It's not like they were poking its cubs in their den. They were riding bikes on an open trail. While I generally agree it sucks the Cougar had to be killed but I don't fault them for doing it. For all they knew it would strike again, and soon.

They said it was emaciated; poor thing was starving. As people expand further out to get "homes they can afford", I'm guessing the usual food sources for this cougar have been harder to come by.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• SJ Brooks, 32, has been identified as man killed in the cougar attack on Saturday
    His friend, Isaac Sederbaum, 31, was also identified; Sederbaum survived attack
    They were riding mountain bikes in Washington State when cougar chased them
    Both men tried to fight off the cougar with their bikes and both were mauled
    Sederbaum said his whole head was in the predator's mouth before Brooks ran
    The cougar then dropped him and chased his friend, who was mauled and killed
    Brooks co-founded Friends on Bikes Seattle, a bike community where women/trans/femme/non-binary people of color come together and ride bikes
    Authorities said Sunday that the cougar was emaciated and 40lbs underweight
    Cougar weighed 100lbs, but a typical three-year-old male would be at least 140

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z5G6V9wDTf
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• This was also private land and gated. Not like the cougar had no land to hunt on. I suspect they will find something wrong with the animal.

KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• They were up there with no means of defense? That's Cougar, Bear and Wolf country, they were not prepared obviously for the situation and while it's sad someone died it was not the Cougars fault, this is spring and Cougars are hunting to add back their weight from winter also.

This is our problem encroachment and stupid humans thinking they can go anywhere.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• People go into and camp in the forests around here all the time. Most places do not allow firearms. Yet there are no problems. I think we will find this was the case of a sick cougar.

They didn't bring the fight to the cougar. The cougar brought the fight to them. Fish and Wildlife already said they did everything right. This was just a extremely rare case. Sad on both parts.

Could a pistol have helped? You better be a very good shot under pressure and hope it kills on the first shot.

Bear spray? Again, maybe.

But until I hear that the cougar was not sick, I will say this is not normal cougar behavior.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Lots of places you camp around the area do not allow firearms, but people have the weight the caught with or caught without one debate. In this case it sounds like the Cougar was severely malnourished weighing only 100lbs so it was probably starving and was going to jump on the first thing it saw. When predators become hungry and desperate, that's some scary stuff.

I have back packed and camped in the Cascades and surrounding areas and have come across many Bear, Coyotes, and even a small number of wolves which was pretty damn intimidating honestly and I have always kept a firearm on me. As development increases and wooded areas are leveled, food sources go away and they are pushed further and further into the foothills where competition for food increases.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I spend a lot of time hiking in North Bend. Pretty scary stuff, though this is the first death in an attack since the 1920's. So much to still come out on what happened and/or if the cat was sick etc. A lot of people coming out acting like they would do the exact right thing in the face of death (NOT talking about on this site) So easy to say for people who were not there. As far as the gun thing, I've never owned a gun, and likely never will. But I do carry pepper spray and a loud whistle with me. Nothing against those who carry them. Some are a little too hardcore (NOT FROM THIS SITE) about telling you how "stupid" you are if you don't have a gun, but oh well.
    Sad story all around. Needless to say, quite a few of my family members have sent me the link to the story since I'm out hiking all the time. And I respect what is around me, big time. We are in their house.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Nobody on here has said someone is "stupid" for not carrying in the backwoods one unless I missed a post.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I'm not talking about on here at all, didn't say people on here :)
    I'm talking about out in the hiking community, on the Washington Hikers and Climbers page, other hiking sites, comments on the article etc.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Ahh gotcha.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• When I heard North Bend, I was like what the? Can't say I won't be even more alert than normal next hike out.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• A few weeks ago a family member who lives in maple Valley had some Chickens and a baby goat disappear from his yard so he put up trail cams thinking it was either a Coyotes, Wolves or Eagle/Hawk.

Nope, one big fat ass Cougar.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• No doubt. I live in Sammamish and there were numerous sightings of Coyotes a couple years back, and then signs of missing dogs and cats in the neighborhood. Recently, I saw what looked like a very young cougar on the way home from work. A few people have said the same thing about the sighting. With all the development in Sammamish and Issaquah, they have no place to go. Shoot, on any given day, you'll see deer just eating grass right next to a busy street. Sucks that so much land has been clear cut to just throw up more houses and condo's. Not long ago, Issaquah and the surrounding region had a ton of trees and forest areas for wildlife to live. We've been in Sammamish for 5 years and it's night and day just in that time.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Im in Des Moines, and when I bought my house 14 years ago behind my house to the East I was surrounded by a very large wooded area. Fast forward to today, that area has now 77 houses built, and to the south of me a new Jail and large .GOV complex went in that cleared several hundred acres.

Before this was built people complained about the Yotes eating their pets and were glad the woods were being cleared to prevent this. At a neighborhood meeting I got lots of flack because I brought up that even though pets are disappearing, the Yotes also keep the mice/rat and rabbit populations in check. So now here we are, no Yotes in the area, and now we have a GIANT rabbit problem. All I see on the community discussion boards is how everyone is pissed about the rabbits ruining their yards and how some peoples houses are infested with mice/rats.

People get what they ask for.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Damn, good point. We see a ridiculous amount of rabbits. Of course, my dog just scares them away.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Damn, super sad story to come back to after camping in the Cascades this weekend. Not surprised the cat attacked being THAT malnourished.

Quite the reminder that a lot of the time we're on their turf, not vice versa.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Exactly, we are in their house no doubt about it. And that cat was probably extremely hungry, and though rare, that instinct kicked in. Wrong place at the wrong time for the bikers. Sucks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Retired WDFW biologist Gary Koehler agrees with those social dynamics, but thinks social chaos is not necessarily related to recreational hunting. He said cougars are territorial and often regulate their own population with some male cougars killing other male cougars.

Koehler believes it’s more likely the cat near North Bend was attracted to the fast movement of the two bicyclists, but he admits we may never know.

“It’ll probably remain a mystery,” said Koehler.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... ce=twitter

I can see this as what caused the cougars attention. But after being hit by a bike and chased off, I can't understand why he came back.

As the guy said, we may never know. :(
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Has it been reported anywhere that the bikers were actually moving, or had they stopped for a rest?

Reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XrZQK2 ... e=youtu.be
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Captain Alan Myers with Fish and Wildlife says the two men didn't do anything to provoke the animal.

"It sounds like they were just riding bikes when of the victims hears a scream from his partner and sees they're being chased by a cougar," Myers said.

The men then fought it off once, swinging their bikes and the mountain lion ran back in the woods.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Being as underweight as the cat was, extreme hunger may have kicked in. Thx for sharing the info. So many people on the hiking pages were just assuming the bikers were being dumb etc. Always should wait to hear the details.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I learned something new today. I would have always thought if I saw a Cougar following me on a bike, I would have thought riding faster and trying to get away would have been the best plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... gton-state

The two men were riding on a trail in the Cascade Mountain foothills on Saturday when the mountain lion began following them. Authorities said they did everything state guidelines advise: getting off their bikes, making noise and trying to scare the animal away. One even smacked it with his bike, after it charged.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Exactly, they did the best they could. Like I was telling a friend who was acting like they would have been "just fine" if they had a gun............It's real easy to say that you would do the right thing when facing death. Real easy.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Exactly, they did the best they could. Like I was telling a friend who was acting like they would have been "just fine" if they had a gun............It's real easy to say that you would do the right thing when facing death. Real easy.

I've taken lots of firearms classes over the years and I can honestly tell you that hitting a target with adrenaline pumping, and with an injury (never had that happen) would not be easy. One of courses I took a few years back we were told to run in place for 3 minutes then pick up a firearm and try to hit a moving target. Needless to say it as an eye opener for many, and very different from the movies or tv shows you see.

It's always easier to armchair QB when you aren't in that situation. I personally haven't had too many close calls thankfully with large predators, but I did have an encounter with a couple meth heads that were cooking drugs in the woods. We were riding quads down near Allyn on some forest back roads and came across a large freshly cut tree blocking the road. The three of us got off our quads and were in the process of moving it and I heard some twigs and branches snap behind me and saw a guy with a shotgun pointed right at us. Figures that this was the one time I did not take a pistol with me.

He told us to leave, so we did and called the police as soon as we got in range for service. Come to find out two were ex felons, one was wanted in Idaho for child molestation, they had been stealing items from houses, (several guns included) other campsites, and living back there for quite some time.

From that point on I have never left to venture off into the woods without one. The two legged creatures are more dangerous than the four legged ones.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Wow, that's crazy. I have absolutely zero issues with people using guns, especially responsible ones. I'm sure I've hiked with plenty of people who were packing, I just didn't know it. Not usually the thing you ask on a hike. How's work, how's the kids, did you bring your gun? :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Wow, that's crazy. I have absolutely zero issues with people using guns, especially responsible ones. I'm sure I've hiked with plenty of people who were packing, I just didn't know it. Not usually the thing you ask on a hike. How's work, how's the kids, did you bring your gun? :lol:

Haha ya, I tend not to discuss them with people I don't really know. Some people have heavy opinions on them both ways. Goes hand in hand with politics and religion. I don't press others to try to fall my way on any of it.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Well just the report and spraying a few rounds would have probably scared the Cougar as well, loud noise and dirt kicked up. Throw a firecracker at something and watch what happens.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Tue May 22, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Well just the report and spraying a few rounds would have probably scared the Cougar as well, load noise and dirt kicked up. Throw a firecracker at something and watch what happens.

Bingo. Don't need to put a bullet through the heart of something to have it still be a useful defense tool.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• There was a lady up at Mt. Defiance, up by Snoqualmie pass last summer w/her 2 dogs. She looked up and was surrounded by 3 of them. She had a blow horn thing and set it off and they all ran away fast. Another person behind her saw it happen as well. I have pepper spray and a loud whistle. But I may eventually get one of those horns too.
    Similar to the ones you hear at a football practice, pretty damn loud. And I'll likely be hiking in North Bend tomorrow. Though this incident was way north of where the bulk of the North Bend area hikes are.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:There was a lady up at Mt. Defiance, up by Snoqualmie pass last summer w/her 2 dogs. She looked up and was surrounded by 3 of them. She had a blow horn thing and set it off and they all ran away fast. Another person behind her saw it happen as well. I have pepper spray and a loud whistle. But I may eventually get one of those horns too.
    Similar to the ones you hear at a football practice, pretty damn loud. And I'll likely be hiking in North Bend tomorrow. Though this incident was way north of where the bulk of the North Bend area hikes are.

Your talking something similar to this, and yes that would also work and they are really loud.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• That's a really sad story, unfortunately this can happen.

Reminds me a little of a movie I watched a few years called Backcountry which is based on a true story about a couple who were attacked by a black bear. The movie is still on Netflix. Like Cougars, Black Bears aren't really suppose to prey on humans, but when hungry, they will hunt people.

I'm not a huge outdoors person, but I hike occasionally, but after reading this I'll likely bring mace or a knife with me.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:Im in Des Moines, and when I bought my house 14 years ago behind my house to the East I was surrounded by a very large wooded area. Fast forward to today, that area has now 77 houses built, and to the south of me a new Jail and large .GOV complex went in that cleared several hundred acres.

Before this was built people complained about the Yotes eating their pets and were glad the woods were being cleared to prevent this. At a neighborhood meeting I got lots of flack because I brought up that even though pets are disappearing, the Yotes also keep the mice/rat and rabbit populations in check. So now here we are, no Yotes in the area, and now we have a GIANT rabbit problem. All I see on the community discussion boards is how everyone is pissed about the rabbits ruining their yards and how some peoples houses are infested with mice/rats.

People get what they ask for.

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Well, I put in 12 miles out in North Bend yesterday. Let's just say I was even more alert than normal :lol:
    Pepper Spray clipped on my shorts and whistle on my backpack. Just ordered a whistle similar to the one in that pic. I'd rather have too much than not enough. The one I ordered is pretty small but shit it's loud.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• One thing we DON'T have to worry about in Australia is any dangerous native mammals. No carnivores (big cats, etc) or bears. In the northern tropical areas there are feral pigs (razorbacks) and water buffalo which are potentially dangerous, and I suppose feral camels could be a menace in the desert.

Buffalo meat is simply gorgeous, though!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:They were up there with no means of defense? That's Cougar, Bear and Wolf country, they were not prepared obviously for the situation and while it's sad someone died it was not the Cougars fault, this is spring and Cougars are hunting to add back their weight from winter also.

This is our problem encroachment and stupid humans thinking they can go anywhere.

Don’t be ridiculous. I grew up in North Bend (thus Uncle Si.. as in Mt Si)

Hiked and biked all over the foothills and deeper into the Cascades my entire childhood and adult life. I’ve seen plenty of lions, bobcats, bear, coyotes, wolves, etc out there. Sometimes uncomfortably. I have stories of confrontations of all manner of wildlife out there. Still go back every couple years.

I’ve never heard of an incident like this. That cat was diseased, not packing on weight from a tough Winter. It was100 pounds, about 60% it’s body weight potential, maybe less. This is not an encroachment issue or even stupid humans (of which there are many). Just horrible luck. Sounds like the two did everything right the first time but panicked and fled the second time. Don’t turn your back on a wild animal. And never let it get you on your back.

This is so rare. It does not necessitate a condoning of the deceased after the fact nor a sudden panic response to those of you who use that area recreationally.

Kitsap struck the right tone here.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Didn't know you grew up in North Bend, nice. You would have loved the loop I hiked on Wednesday. Started at the new Mt. Teneriffe Trailhead. Took the old looking road up to Haystack, then took the Big Si trail down to the main trailhead, and walked back up the main road back to the Teneriffe trailhead. A little over 11 miles on the day. Didn't see a single person on the way to Haystack. A lot of people going down Si. It's crazy busy out there, but I always go on a weekday or super early on a weekend. So many people complain about crowds, but then decide to show up in the middle of the day on a Sat/Sun :roll:
    Looks like most of the snow is gone up by Mt. Teneriffe too. That's an amazing hike, and that 360 degree view is unreal. Ranks up there with Mt. Pilchuck, Mailbox and Granite Mt. imo.
    95 percent or more of my hikes are solo. I've never once seen a Bear or Cougar etc. I saw one goat a few weeks back on the way up to Teneriffe Falls in North Bend. The only other time I've seen goats is at Mt. Rainier. I do have plenty of friends who have seen a bear, they just keep their distance and are fine.
    To say this was a rare thing would be a massive understatement. Assuming that just because you carry a gun, you magically are above death and/or major injury is just not correct. I have my pepper spray, loud whistle and just got a small blow horn thing. I'm plenty prepared. They just were in the wrong place at the wrong time, one in a million chance that this would happen. Really sad situation overall.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Hits home, Soulfish. We used to be able to drive that toad up the back of Si decades ago. I imagine that’s all locked down now. It’s beautiful back there. And not many people...if any.

You can work you way back to Taylor and Goldmeir from there if you’re adventurous enough. My favorites always started at Snow Lake trailhead at Alpental and then just hit the Alpine Lakes wilderness or take the PCT back towards Stevens.

Best place in the world if you ask me.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Absolutely. Snow lake and then on to Gem is one of my all time favorites. So beautiful. I know there's some more lakes past Gem, just haven't checked them out yet. We live in Sammamish, and like many areas, so much has been clear cut for condo's and houses. The wildlife has no place to go. At least 2 days a week, I almost hit a deer going down the hill towards Lake Sammamish, or at least am very close to one crossing the street. Growing up, we always thought of Issaquah as being in "the boonies" because it was almost all Trees and forest land. Shoot, in our 5 years, there has been a ton of areas clear cut. That area down by Klahanie, completely different. That being said, we will retire in Sammamish, such a great city. Very low crime rate, and easy access to everything.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Every time I go hiking I make sure to go with someone who is more out of shape and slower than me.........
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They were up there with no means of defense? That's Cougar, Bear and Wolf country, they were not prepared obviously for the situation and while it's sad someone died it was not the Cougars fault, this is spring and Cougars are hunting to add back their weight from winter also.

Don’t be ridiculous. I grew up in North Bend (thus Uncle Si.. as in Mt Si)

Hiked and biked all over the foothills and deeper into the Cascades my entire childhood and adult life. I’ve seen plenty of lions, bobcats, bear, coyotes, wolves, etc out there. Sometimes uncomfortably. I have stories of confrontations of all manner of wildlife out there. Still go back every couple years.

I’ve never heard of an incident like this. That cat was diseased, not packing on weight from a tough Winter. It was100 pounds, about 60% it’s body weight potential, maybe less. This is not an encroachment issue or even stupid humans (of which there are many). Just horrible luck. Sounds like the two did everything right the first time but panicked and fled the second time. Don’t turn your back on a wild animal. And never let it get you on your back.

This is so rare. It does not necessitate a condoning of the deceased after the fact nor a sudden panic response to those of you who use that area recreationally.

Kitsap struck the right tone here.

Grew up when the South Everett, Alderwood manner area was country, when I was 4 had a wolf almost get me and my dad and neighbor chased it off, later was shot as one of the last Wolves in the State at that time, lived in the Country in Monroe, Gold bar and in the Okanagan. Don't tell me Bullshit, when competing for game animals will do whats natural, he may have been encroaching on another Cats turf as well. Those idiots ran, you never run.

Cat was starving because humans have run off it's natural food and game, Bears are coming in farther as well, gee wonder why, when Fluffy and Spot get eaten it's the end of the world and they shoot the animals as well, time to start putting dumb humans out of their misery instead of protecting them.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Next

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information