Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

1 dead, 1 injured in cougar attack near North Bend

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the hell, I've cycled around that area, maybe on that road before.

I've thought about taking my .45 with me on long rides, guess I need to. I don't think there are any cats in the Phoenix part of Arizona, but there are coyotes and such...along with snakes and scorpions, not that a pistol's of much use against those. Well, maybe the snakes...good luck to me trying to hit a moving scorpion with a pistol, though. Lol.

My friend, Sasha, has a little .22 rifle with a UV light and IR diode mounted on it... because she's obsessed with keeping scorpions off her property. I think it's the equivalent to spitting into the wind, but hey, if it makes her feel better...

Those little buggers are nasty - my wife got stung 6 months after we moved here. They don't just sting you once, either, they grab on with those little claws and spin in a circle, pop pop pop pop... she said it felt like a hot sewing needle stitching up her foot. She ended up with a blister on her foot the size of a tangerine. Her whole leg turned red and swollen.. and the veins on her lower leg turned freaking black for a few days... scary as hell.

BTW, since when do you live in AZ? That's new.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• The_Z_Man wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:What the hell, I've cycled around that area, maybe on that road before.

I've thought about taking my .45 with me on long rides, guess I need to. I don't think there are any cats in the Phoenix part of Arizona, but there are coyotes and such...along with snakes and scorpions, not that a pistol's of much use against those. Well, maybe the snakes...good luck to me trying to hit a moving scorpion with a pistol, though. Lol.

My friend, Sasha, has a little .22 rifle with a UV light and IR diode mounted on it... because she's obsessed with keeping scorpions off her property. I think it's the equivalent to spitting into the wind, but hey, if it makes her feel better...

Those little buggers are nasty - my wife got stung 6 months after we moved here. They don't just sting you once, either, they grab on with those little claws and spin in a circle, pop pop pop pop... she said it felt like a hot sewing needle stitching up her foot. She ended up with a blister on her foot the size of a tangerine. Her whole leg turned red and swollen.. and the veins on her lower leg turned freaking black for a few days... scary as hell.

BTW, since when do you live in AZ? That's new.

Since you don't look in the shack, apparently. I made a post about it at the time in there. :) I just moved here like six weeks ago.

Shooting scorpions with a .22 that has a UV light and IR diode on it sounds amazing.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Since you don't look in the shack, apparently. I made a post about it at the time in there. :) I just moved here like six weeks ago.

Shooting scorpions with a .22 that has a UV light and IR diode on it sounds amazing.

Rarely do I go to the Shack these days... that place is only fun when the Seahawks are rolling and enemy fans show up to take a beating, or else accuse Seahawks fans of pushing ladies in Wheelchairs down stairs...

Well, welcome to AZ. ;)
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They were up there with no means of defense? That's Cougar, Bear and Wolf country, they were not prepared obviously for the situation and while it's sad someone died it was not the Cougars fault, this is spring and Cougars are hunting to add back their weight from winter also.

This is our problem encroachment and stupid humans thinking they can go anywhere.

Don’t be ridiculous. I grew up in North Bend (thus Uncle Si.. as in Mt Si)

Hiked and biked all over the foothills and deeper into the Cascades my entire childhood and adult life. I’ve seen plenty of lions, bobcats, bear, coyotes, wolves, etc out there. Sometimes uncomfortably. I have stories of confrontations of all manner of wildlife out there. Still go back every couple years.

I’ve never heard of an incident like this. That cat was diseased, not packing on weight from a tough Winter. It was100 pounds, about 60% it’s body weight potential, maybe less. This is not an encroachment issue or even stupid humans (of which there are many). Just horrible luck. Sounds like the two did everything right the first time but panicked and fled the second time. Don’t turn your back on a wild animal. And never let it get you on your back.

This is so rare. It does not necessitate a condoning of the deceased after the fact nor a sudden panic response to those of you who use that area recreationally.

Kitsap struck the right tone here.

Grew up when the South Everett, Alderwood manner area was country, when I was 4 had a wolf almost get me and my dad and neighbor chased it off, later was shot as one of the last Wolves in the State at that time, lived in the Country in Monroe, Gold bar and in the Okanagan. Don't tell me Bullshit, when competing for game animals will do whats natural, he may have been encroaching on another Cats turf as well. Those idiots ran, you never run.

Cat was starving because humans have run off it's natural food and game, Bears are coming in farther as well, gee wonder why, when Fluffy and Spot get eaten it's the end of the world and they shoot the animals as well, time to start putting dumb humans out of their misery instead of protecting them.

So they're dumb because they ran? Cool

Cat was starving because it was sick. Cougars in that area are not uncommon. An emaciated, 100 pound cat chasing humans is extremely so. Sure, you never run... do we try and educate all the people in the world about animal attacks? It's bullshit to suddenly start to string together a handful of anecdotes about near misses and point to a "problem" that has existed since humans and animals started sharing the earth. Ive stared a lion down. Bear too. Have chased a wolf off the dogs. Hear i am. never carried a gun, or pepper spray.

Yes, there is some encroachment. But this isn't raccoons climbing in your garbage can. The Cascade foothills are dense and barely populated. That cat had hundreds of square miles to hunt, even if another cat was in the area.

You seem really abrasive about this, as if these two guys riding their bikes were in the wrong for not, what? killing the animal? biking? its oddly indifferent but seems your ax is grinding something else. Was it the animal being put down? I've watched rangers take wounded cats, bears, wolves, etc out of that area and bring them into the valley for medical assistance. My friends dad helped hunt down a brown bear that strayed into the Goldmeier area, tranq'd it and moved it back into the mountains. they arent just out there gunning down wild animals.

This cat, something was wrong with it, and it wasnt just hunger.

People and animals are going to run into each other. On occasion, it may not go well. But should we close down the oceans because their are sharks in there? are surfers dumb for not carrying a firearm with them?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I have not heard anything about it being sick just malnourished, but Cats usually have a 200 mile radius hunting area they stake out, the Cougar population has grown so they are spreading out to find new turf so to speak, our encroachment overlaps those areas. Our encroachment makes competing for food harder for animals, Coyote, Bear, the re introduced Wolves, Bobcats, Lynx in some areas all competing for food in a smaller area.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It's pretty obvious that as the Predators habitat continues to shrink, so does their food supply.

Is anyone an avid Deer hunter here? I can tell you first hand that from when I was a kid (I'm 39) it was not difficult to fulfill a Deer or Elk tag within a day or two if you got one. Now you can go out for days on end and maybe see a handful.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Saw a Coyote on the way up Mailbox Peak on Saturday, have only seen them a couple times. He wanted nothing to do with me, but still scared the crap out of me when I came around a bend :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• 2_0_6 wrote:It's pretty obvious that as the Predators habitat continues to shrink, so does their food supply.

Is anyone an avid Deer hunter here? I can tell you first hand that from when I was a kid (I'm 39) it was not difficult to fulfill a Deer or Elk tag within a day or two if you got one. Now you can go out for days on end and maybe see a handful.

I'm not, but I've lived in North Bend for about 9 years now. East of downtown, and the south fork of the Snoqualmie river is about 100 yards away from my back door. The Snoqualmie Valley Trail goes through my neighborhood and up to Rattlesnake Lake/Ledge.

I have no idea how difficult it is to fill an elk or deer tag these days, but I do know that I see deer and elk pretty much everyday. A lot of people around here have gardens, including myself, and if you don't "deer proof" your garden with fencing, they absolutely will clear it out. Just a matter of time.

I don't doubt that deer and elk are less abundant than they used to be, but there sure seems to be a lot around my area.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• They love munching on our roses and other flowers, have seen them out there in the mornings.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like we may never know now. :(

Necropsy results shed no light on why a cougar attacked two bicyclists near North Bend last spring, killing one.

The necropsy found the cougar was "lean but its weight and body condition fall within the normal range for a cougar of its age," said Dr. Kristin Mansfield, a veterinarian with the Washington State Department of of Fish and Wildlife. Vets found no abnormalities that would contribute to the attack and no evidence of rabies or other diseases that could pose a risk to humans.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Twas up camping July 4th thru the next monday. On Friday, I noted a wolf following the road that passed by my camper within approximately 3 feet away from my camper. I was reading and looked out the window on the lower half of my door and it was a Gray wolf. I had no camera handy to take a pic nor a weapon to take it out was available. I am authorized as a hunter with license etc. Within 20 mins, I heard a thrashing uphill from me. Sounded like an Elk movement. Elk have dropped their young approximately a month ago.

Every day except that one, I had a 2pt deer come by for breakfast. That one he did not show up. The next day and following he did. Then I moved my camper closer to camp. I also saw a dozen wild turkey young and 2 elders watching. I thought that was interesting and fun.

I am in Idaho, I was up near New Meadows. I found huckleberries. I ate Huckleberry pancakes.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information