Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Highly praised movies that everybody loves that you hate.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • The flip of the previous thread, and my answer will piss someone off. I hate Robocop. I hate pretty much all Paul Verhoeven movies. I know he uses over-the-top exaggeration as a tool for satire, but I find it extremely offputting because he just doesn't know when to quit. Somehow, Robocop is understated for his style, but it still feels like being hit over the head with a hammer to me. I single out Robocop in this thread because it is almost universally praised, but I fully admit I hate several others of his more.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Lord of the rings. I find them boring.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 2001 A Space Odyssey and Batman Begins come to mind.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Also, all of the Fast and Furious movies.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:Avatar

I've never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies. I did enjoy Avatar, and bought it on blu-Ray, but James Cameron arguably borrowed heavily for Avatar from a wonderful science fiction book "Midworld", by Alan Dean Foster. I've been following Alan's website for many years, but he's far too modest to get involved in "politics" about this, just as he is about Star Wars.

My list here... firstly and mostly, the Godfather movies. Also The Deer Hunter, and Apocalypse Now.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:2001 A Space Odyssey

Wow - each to his own, of course - the whole point of this thread! - but 2001 is my favourite movie. I haven't seen it for years, though - must grab it on Blu-Ray. The sequel (2010) wasn't too good though, although the ending was quite cool in concept, I guess.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Gladiator - That was the closest I have ever come to walking out of a theater. So bored the whole time.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

• drcool wrote:Gladiator - That was the closest I have ever come to walking out of a theater. So bored the whole time.

Are you not entertained?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    drcool wrote:Gladiator - That was the closest I have ever come to walking out of a theater. So bored the whole time.

Are you not entertained?

No, no I was not.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:Avatar

You might have liked Avatar better the first time, when it was called Dances with Wolves.

I agree on 2001, it's a painfully slow build up to the ending...............and monoliths, what up with those? I dare say Kubrick is mostly overrated.

Love Full Metal Jacket, but other than that not sure why everyone got excited waiting a decade for a mediocre Kubrick movie.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Def. are some that I just don't get the hype at all.

Tropic Thunder
    Pineapple Express
    Zoolander (so effin stupid)
    Space Jam (corny)
    Blades of Glory (next level lame, and I like Will Farrell)
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    LargentFan wrote:Avatar

You might have liked Avatar better the first time, when it was called Dances with Wolves.

I agree on 2001, it's a painfully slow build up to the ending...............and monoliths, what up with those? I dare say Kubrick is mostly overrated.

Love Full Metal Jacket, but other than that not sure why everyone got excited waiting a decade for a mediocre Kubrick movie.

I enjoyed Avatar the first time around when I was a kid watching Fern Gully :lol: honestly Avatar was a decently entertaining movie with great visual effects, I think it gets a little more flak than it deserves. Interested to see where Cameron is going to take Avatar 2.

I don't really hate any movies, especially movies that the majority of folks love. I think some movies and series are incredibly overrated, though. LotR (though I appreciate the series for its technical feats), Donnie Darko, Full Metal Jacket to name a few.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I enjoyed Avatar the first time around when I was a kid watching Fern Gully :lol: honestly Avatar was a decently entertaining movie with great visual effects, I think it gets a little more flak than it deserves. Interested to see where Cameron is going to take Avatar 2.

I don't really hate any movies, especially movies that the majority of folks love. I think some movies and series are incredibly overrated, though. LotR (though I appreciate the series for its technical feats), Donnie Darko, Full Metal Jacket to name a few.

My Dances with Wolves crack is because it's the same storyline.................soldier goes AWOL to live amoungst the natives, and the big bad military comes to kill them and destroy their way of life and nature.

Avatar is visually cool, but IMO it's not a unique story, or even well crafted............and we certainly don't need 4-5 more of them as Cameron has promised.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• The English Patient. Holy crap just godawful. I thought all the gushing from critics and movie-goers alike were under some mass hallucinatory psychosis.

Sorry Aussie, love ya brother but gotta agree on 2001. Never liked it. Boring as hell to me. (ducks for incoming tomatoes)..

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Wasn't bad and I can't say I hated it but my wife and I never understood all the love and hoopla surrounding it. :229031_shrug:

Napoleon Dynamite. Another movie I did not find anywhere near as funny as many did. Still don't. I even watched it twice to see what I was missing. There was some mildly funny stuff but I guess it's not my kind of humor.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

My Dances with Wolves crack is because it's the same storyline.................soldier goes AWOL to live amoungst the natives, and the big bad military comes to kill them and destroy their way of life and nature.

Avatar is visually cool, but IMO it's not a unique story, or even well crafted............and we certainly don't need 4-5 more of them as Cameron has promised.

Oh I was well aware that the story is not original at all. There has been at least a few movies that I'm aware of that have ripped the same idea/story.

In Fern Gully, an animated musical for kids that came out in the early 90's, it's basically the same story except the main character is accidentally shrunken down before joining the natives and fighting the baddies who are trying to destroy/pollute their homes.

It took me probably two years to realize and identify Fern Gully as the movie I watched growing up that was basically the same story :lol:
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• The Sixth Sense

The plot twist was practically given away at the start of the movie. I remember watching the previews on TV over and over and seeing that boy say "I see dead people...", and then in the first scene of the movie there's like a major wreck or something that made me think "hey, he should be dead....why is he still alive? oh...maybe...." and then as you watch the movie you see that the boy is the only person talking to him, and it's just damn obvious. But it's partially my fault because I purposely try to entertain any and all possible plot twists while I'm watching.

Still, maybe they should not have ran those commercials with that boy saying "I see dead people" over and over and over. That was really dumb. Still trying to get my money back on that one.

The Hangover

I'm not saying it wasn't kind of funny. I'm not saying it was a bad movie overall. But it's really not that funny. There's no real bust out laughing hard moments. Sure, the overall production was good, and some cool things happen. It's just not really any more funny than, say, Mr. Woodcock or something. The problem lied in the timing and delivery of the lines. They weren't delivered in a manner that made you really bust out laughing. Seriously, watch the movie again with some of your friends....you'll notice how you hear more people saying "OMG that's so funny!" than actually laughing. Yup, that's the kind of movie it is.

Here's a quick list of 'white people' comedies that are funnier than The Hangover:

The Brothers Solomon
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Superbad
    Wedding Crashers
    Walk Hard
    Dodgeball
    Road Trip
    Team America: World Police
    Bad Santa
    Bad Santa 2
    Office Space

The list goes on, of course. But you get the idea. The Hangover absolutely does not belong in this list.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:2001 A Space Odyssey

Wow - each to his own, of course - the whole point of this thread! - but 2001 is my favourite movie. I haven't seen it for years, though - must grab it on Blu-Ray. The sequel (2010) wasn't too good though, although the ending was quite cool in concept, I guess.

I understand that for its time it was visually great and had great music, however there is very little plot or dialogue. It goes like 20 minutes at a time with zero dialogue. It just bored me to tears. Any time I say that to people they tell me Im just not paying attention to the symbolism and blah blah blah.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Star Wars, and most superhero movies. Yawn.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Star Wars, and most superhero movies. Yawn.

Didn't like them when the first one came out in the 70's and most super hero movies kinda suck, Logan however I did enjoy and of course Deadpool was fun.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Sorry Aussie, love ya brother but gotta agree on 2001. Never liked it. Boring as hell to me. (ducks for incoming tomatoes)..

No sorries needed, sir! I can well understand 2001 is not everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly enigmatic! Many would be horrified I didn't care for the Godfather movies, and have them right up there as all-time (and very critically-acclaimed) favourites.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• About 2001:

XxXdragonXxX wrote:I understand that for its time it was visually great and had great music, however there is very little plot or dialogue. It goes like 20 minutes at a time with zero dialogue. It just bored me to tears. Any time I say that to people they tell me Im just not paying attention to the symbolism and blah blah blah.

Nope, not me! Heck, you may simply be utterly disinterested in all the symbolism, etc etc... absolutely understood!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Shawshank Redemption. I have friends that swear it's the greatest movie ever made. I thought Tim Robbins phoned it in and the plot was mundane.
    Palmegranite
    NET Rookie

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:...Godfather movies...The Deer Hunter...Apocalypse Now.
    Surprising. I think all of those are great.

drcool wrote:Gladiator
    Also a surprise. I think it's quite good. I do think Traffic should have beat it out for best picture that year, though.

SoulfishHawk wrote:Zoolander (so effin stupid)
    This is the only movie I have ever walked out of, but I will say that the gasoline fight scene is hilarious.

Sgt. Largent wrote:Avatar is visually cool
    I don't even agree with this statement. I did not think it looked good at all. Perhaps I should give it another try.

Palmegranite wrote:Shawshank Redemption
    Another surprise. I love this movie. I thought it should have won best picture that year over Forrest Gump.

Fun topic.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• Titanic.

More like a Titanic waste of time.

And it’s been said already but just want to let you know I totally agree about The Hangover. I never did understand how that became as popular as it did.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:

Hey, someone else who thinks Dances with Wolves was original; or Pocahontas was, too.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• JSeahawks wrote:Lord of the rings. I find them boring.

So much this.

English patient also sucked as did Chariots of Fire.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Aros wrote:The English Patient. Holy crap just godawful. I thought all the gushing from critics and movie-goers alike were under some mass hallucinatory psychosis.

Sorry Aussie, love ya brother but gotta agree on 2001. Never liked it. Boring as hell to me. (ducks for incoming tomatoes)..

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Wasn't bad and I can't say I hated it but my wife and I never understood all the love and hoopla surrounding it. :229031_shrug:

Napoleon Dynamite. Another movie I did not find anywhere near as funny as many did. Still don't. I even watched it twice to see what I was missing. There was some mildly funny stuff but I guess it's not my kind of humor.

Agree with the Nap Dynamite thing, thought it was unfunny for the most part.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The Hangover rocked you bastages!!! :x

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:The Hangover rocked you bastages!!! :x

More like The Hangoverrated.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Every movie based on a comic book except a couple of batman's and a few of the x men movies.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Every movie based on a comic book except a couple of batman's and a few of the x men movies.

Have you actually seen them all and don't like them? Or are you basing that statement off of what you have seen mixed with trailers?
    Not an attack, just curious. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single marvel movie you liked because they hit so many genres.
    Like Thor Ragnarok...I feel like if someone doesn't like that movie, it's because they don't want to.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:
    Like Thor Ragnarok...I feel like if someone doesn't like that movie, it's because they don't want to.

That movie was hilarious. This is why Marvel movies are superior to DC movies, because of the humor.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    LargentFan wrote:

That movie was hilarious. This is why Marvel movies are superior to DC movies, because of the humor.

And also literally everything else.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single marvel movie you liked because they hit so many genres.

Yeah, like Ant-Man being a heist movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier being a cold war thriller, or Spider-Man: Homecoming being a John Hughes-style high school movie.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    LargentFan wrote:

Well, I did like Wonder Woman as they made it brighter and actually humorous. Plus, Gal Gadot killed it as Diana. It was everything I thought a WW movie should be.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Every movie based on a comic book except a couple of batman's and a few of the x men movies.

Not even Iron Man 1? Come on...ridiculous.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• OkieHawk wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    LargentFan wrote:

Well, I did like Wonder Woman as they made it brighter and actually humorous. Plus, Gal Gadot killed it as Diana. It was everything I thought a WW movie should be.

Wonder Woman was pretty good. Easily the best DC movie since The Dark Knight. However it would barely carck the top 10 if you put it in a Marvel list. It was basically Captain America: First Avenger with a female protagonist.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Palmegranite wrote:Shawshank Redemption. I have friends that swear it's the greatest movie ever made. I thought Tim Robbins phoned it in and the plot was mundane.

Okay dem be fightin' werds.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Pirates of the Caribbean. I'll admit I haven't seen them all, but the one's I did see, I didn't like.

Avengers: Infinity War. It seemed to undo all of the previous MCU movies in one fell swoop.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Waterboy
    Little Nicky
    Pretty much any Adam Sandler movie that he acts like a child. These are movies made for 2nd graders.

Titanic. Over the top love story surrounding a historic disaster.

Star Wars Episodes I, II, & III. This is what happens when you let George Lucas do everything. Noooooooooooooooooo!
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Every movie based on a comic book except a couple of batman's and a few of the x men movies.

Have you actually seen them all and don't like them? Or are you basing that statement off of what you have seen mixed with trailers?
    Not an attack, just curious. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single marvel movie you liked because they hit so many genres.

I've watched many of them...sorry couldn't get into it. Same ol storylines for every single one..bad cgi....and same old attempt at humor. I will admit I won't watch any of them anymore. The Batmans with Bale were good as well as the first few x men. It just seems like every movie is just recycled over and over again.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Literally EVERY Star Wars movie. :pukeface:
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information