Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TMJ Blows

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
TMJ Blows
Mon May 28, 2018 8:41 pm
  • Anyone else dealing with or have dealt with TMJ?

The other day I suddenly felt that my jaw felt out of alignment. Like biting down felt weird and not right. Opening my jaw was a chore. Small movements. Moving my jaw side-to-side was painful. WTH??

So I Googled it (isn't that what we do these days to avoid doctor visits?) and it had all the classic indicators of TMJ. Basically joint inflammation where your jaw pivots when you move it up and down or laterally.

So chewing has become a chore. Not a horrible thing I guess since I can always stand to drop some LBs but it sucks all the same. Not a big fan of painkillers so I basically just massage the area with my fingers.

Anyone else have experience with TMJ and what do you do to alleviate the pain?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: TMJ Blows
Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 pm
  • Massage is good. Try ice or moist heat. Avoid chewing gum.

If you grind or clench your teeth at night, you might want to check with your dentist to see if maybe a mouth guard is recommended.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Tue May 29, 2018 1:35 pm
  • Thanks, yeah makes me wonder if I am grinding my teeth at night. I get vivid dreams and nightmares often so maybe I do?

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:40 am

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am
  • Get the mouth guard from the drug store -- probably $30 or less and you fit it yourself. Saves you $500 for a custom device. If you don't think it works then spring the big bucks but I've used the cheap version for years. Just have to replace it every 6 months or so.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 am
  • sc85sis wrote:Any improvement, Todd?

A bit, yes, thank you for asking. It still feels a bit tender but not as bad as when I posted originally. What's really odd is that I used to have about a 10mm overbite. I could place my index finger between my top and bottom front teeth and feel the gap. Now, the top and bottom teeth are almost perfectly aligned. Almost as if I had braces without the benefit of the straight teeth, lol.

My teeth have been shifting, even my dentist made a comment about it a couple years ago. How much that has to do with the TMJ I am not sure.

John - Thanks for the advice...I will look into a cheap mouth guard and see if that helps.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information