Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sciency stuff...humans ain't all that...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Sciency stuff...humans ain't all that...
Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 am
  • All life on Earth, in one staggering chart

By weight, human beings are insignificant.

If everyone on the planet were to step on one side of a giant balance scale, and all the bacteria on Earth were to be placed on the other side, we’d shoot violently upward. That’s because all the bacteria on Earth combined are about 1,166 times more massive than all the humans.

Comparisons to other categories of life similarly demonstrate how very, very small we are. As a sweeping new study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences finds, in a census sorting all the life on Earth by weight (measured in gigatons of carbon, the signature element of life on Earth), we make up less than 1 percent of life.

There are an estimated 550 gigatons of carbon of life in the world. A gigaton is equal to a billion metric tons. A metric ton is 1,000 kilograms, or about 2,200 pounds.

We’re talking in huge, huge, mind-boggling terms here.

So, using the new data in PNAS, we tried to visualize the weight of all life on Earth to get a sense of the scale of it all.

Image too big to link. Interesting read, though.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    All life on Earth, in one staggering chart

If everyone on the planet were to step on one side of a giant balance scale, and all the bacteria on Earth were to be placed on the other side, we’d shoot violently upward. That’s because all the bacteria on Earth combined are about 1,166 times more massive than all the humans.

Wow, so the bacteria have an even worse obesity problem than many humans? :)

So, using the new data in PNAS, we tried to visualize the weight of all life on Earth to get a sense of the scale of it all.

Seriously, thanks for this gem! Can you please provide the URL of your read?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:
    All life on Earth, in one staggering chart

Wow, so the bacteria have an even worse obesity problem than many humans? :)

Seriously, thanks for this gem! Can you please provide the URL of your read?

Actually, it was embedded in the title line. That's how I usually do it.

But here: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... imals-pnas
    :)

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• And yet they're the only ones with anywhere close to the cognitive capacity and oppositional-thumbs skill to write that article.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• sutz wrote:Actually, it was embedded in the title line. That's how I usually do it.

Thank you - I read it all with great interest. But please, what do you mean by "embedded in the title line" - I don't understand, sorry!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:Actually, it was embedded in the title line. That's how I usually do it.

Thank you - I read it all with great interest. But please, what do you mean by "embedded in the title line" - I don't understand, sorry!

The title line is the link. If you hover your cursor over it, you'll see the link displayed in the lower left of your screen. Click on it and you get sent there.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Sorry Sutz - heck I feel silly; I thought you meant the thread title, not the title of the actual post! Thanks for explaining. I think I'd better go back to banging those rocks together... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information