Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Anthony Bordain

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Anthony Bordain
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 am
  • As a huge Bordain fan, I'm really bummed out this morning.

I remember seeing No Reservations about 10 years ago thinking "this dude's an asshole." But then I read a couple of his books (Kitchen Confidential, highly recommended), and kept watching..............and kept watching.

I came to love Bordain's sardonic almost tragic style of self deprecation and style of interviewing. He became my spirit animal, someone I highly admired for his character, intelligence, brutal sense of humor and of course what he got to do for a living. To be able to travel the world, eat amazing food and interview the most interesting people, how could it get better than that.

Why does it seem like all the good ones leave us too soon?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44414747
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Anthony Bordain
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:06 am
  • Yeah really sad day. He is one of the few people on TV I really enjoy. Seemed like a truly great guy. There was definitely a dark side to him that I could see on TV, and I'm sure we will find out a lot more in the coming days. RIP Anthony Bourdain, you will be missed.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 am
  • Another tragic suicide. Seems to be on the rise these days. Underscores the truth that nobody truly knows what personal demons one struggles with. RIP.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:30 am
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:15 pm
  • I don't think this was suicide. His girlfriend was integral in the outing of Harvey Weinstein, who has since been charged with rape and related crimes in New York. I believe this is a hit from the Hollywood Mafia.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:25 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:I don't think this was suicide. His girlfriend was integral in the outing of Harvey Weinstein, who has since been charged with rape and related crimes in New York. I believe this is a hit from the Hollywood Mafia.

I don't imagine you'd be joking about this on the day he died, so I can only assume you're serious.

That means you think Anthony Bourdain was their first target. He's the one who did the most damage and they needed him dead. Huh...ok guy.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:27 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:I don't think this was suicide. His girlfriend was integral in the outing of Harvey Weinstein, who has since been charged with rape and related crimes in New York. I believe this is a hit from the Hollywood Mafia.

Are you okay, like mentally?
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:I don't think this was suicide. His girlfriend was integral in the outing of Harvey Weinstein, who has since been charged with rape and related crimes in New York. I believe this is a hit from the Hollywood Mafia.

Fine, thanks. Out of curiosity, have you read any of the stuff Bourdain was tweeting about or discussing in the weeks and months leading up to his death? No? Perhaps you should.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:47 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:I don't think this was suicide. His girlfriend was integral in the outing of Harvey Weinstein, who has since been charged with rape and related crimes in New York. I believe this is a hit from the Hollywood Mafia.

Fine, thanks. Out of curiosity, have you read any of the stuff Bourdain was tweeting about or discussing in the weeks and months leading up to his death? No? Perhaps you should.

Give it a rest.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:

Give it a rest.

I'm pretty sure there are conspiracy theorists about everything. Kennedy was killed by Oswald, We put men on the moon, terrorists took down the towers, Bourdain committed suicide. Acceptance is the final stage of grieving. You'll get there.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 pm
  • I guarantee you terrorists did NOT take down the towers , as far as Anthony goes ,... I just liked the guy and have zero clue :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Starter

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 pm
  • Dude had a dark side for sure, i learned a lot about traveling from him. A real bummer!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:58 pm
  • Lets get off the political topics and stick to Bourdain.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:05 am
  • My favorite Bordain quote.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:02 pm
  • Please get help if you or someone you know feel or have suicidal thoughts. There is help. Just please if you think suicide ends it. It does not. It sadly passes onward to the loved ones.
    Father's Day 2018!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 pm
  • http://www.22kill.com/

Someone cares. One tribe one fight.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:11 am
  • Loved watching his show(s)..
    I remember being excited to see he had an episode with Seattle
    I can't believe he is gone and he will be missed.
    RIP Tony
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am
  • No Reservations is definitely in my top 5 food & culture shows all time. He was really good at getting in with locals and top chefs around the world and showing what their lives are like. Definitely exposed a lot of Americans to different beautiful cultures that they otherwise may never have really seen. Globe Trekker's another one I love, but Tony was so much better at getting in with folks and making it look natural and unforced. I'm glad that there's so many episodes of that show, and his others, that I still haven't seen or have only seen once. I'll be able to watch new Tony for a long time.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 am
  • Never understood why people watched his boring ass show. Wheres the excitement? The complications? The climax? Its just some guy walking around and eating food.

Sad he's dead, though. Suicide is interesting.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Never understood why people watched his boring ass show. Wheres the excitement? The complications? The climax? Its just some guy walking around and eating food.

- death
    - taxes
    - fender's insensitive contrarian hot takes
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:43 am
  • 1. Yeah that was pretty weak
    2. Why does he care if other people dig the show?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Never understood why people watched his boring ass show. Wheres the excitement? The complications? The climax? Its just some guy walking around and eating food.

So you're the dude who crop dusts a full elevator and gets off the next floor. Got it.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 am
  • Literally nothing insensitive about commenting on the TV show he was most famous for. It's pretty relevent given he just died. I'm just saying I didn't like it, and gave a quick review as to why. Are we only supposed to post our opinion on his show if we like it or something? Sounds like discrimination.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Never understood why people watched his boring ass show. Wheres the excitement? The complications? The climax?

Sounded like an angry Star Wars fanboy there for a second.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Literally nothing insensitive about commenting on the TV show he was most famous for. It's pretty relevent given he just died. I'm just saying I didn't like it, and gave a quick review as to why. Are we only supposed to post our opinion on his show if we like it or something? Sounds like discrimination.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, I'm merely pointing out that you like to crap on threads with a trolling style contrarian angle most of the time.

If you think all Bordain did was "walk around and eat food", then you either never watched a single episode or missed the point entirely.

He was a pioneer writer in the food and restaurant industry, exposing the heart and soul of what goes on in restaurants, and the people who make our food, and wrote about it brilliantly, earnestly and honestly.

Something enough people appreciated to give him a travelogue show where he could bring that raw honesty and interesting style of writing to going places most people 1.Have never seen 2. Wouldn't have the balls to go to (Iran, Palestine, etc).

So no fender, he wasn't just some boring dude eating food, Bordain was a very talented writer that spoke, wrote and produced shows that spoke to a lot of people, myself included.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:10 am
  • My old roommate used to watch episode after episode of his show in the living room. I've seen it, and I know what's in it. I was using a writing tool called hyperbole, which is used when the writer wants to be more expressive.

My post was basically "I didn't like his TV show. Sucks he died."
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:43 am
  • My wife watched his show all the time. You know a guy is good when I'm actually interested in a cooking show. But he did a great job of telling history as well. Just overall made it less boring etc.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:51 am
  • It's a great show. There's a ton of episodes and it really holds up. Food & culture shows aren't for everybody, but in that particular realm it is without doubt one of the best. Parts Unknown on CNN was really just as good too.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 am
  • Aros wrote:https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/06/bourdain-in-his-words/

Very cool. I've never seen the AA episode, pretty bone chilling to hear Bordain talk about his demons.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 am
  • “Stop and smell the roses “

As I age, that saying is becoming more and more pertinent.

It’s a simple yet very complex amalgamate of words, and depending on how you apply it to your life, those words can easily change said life.

Some of my favorite “stop and smell the roses” moments have centered around food, drink, and friends.

Anthony was a master at finding those type of moments, and sharing them with his audience.

Anthony played a small role in helping me understand what’s truly important in life, and I’m personally thankful I paid attention to what he had to say.

We all have many differing forces that effect and form who/what we are, and even though he was only a small role in my life, he did make a difference.

It’s understandable how many could look right past him but I’m glad I didn’t.

I challenge you.
    Next time you get the chance to share a plate and cup, stop and smell the roses.
    You might be pleasantly surprised.

R.I.P.
    Anthony.

My hope is, that you found peace.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 am
  • Nice PM, thanks for sharing.

I've always had a stop and smell the roses type of mentality. I live to travel and spend time with my friends and family.........probably why I connected with Bordain, and admired the hell out of how he lived his life.

I know it seems glamorous to travel the world, meet amazing people and get to see and eat things most of us only dream about. But as Bordain spoke about many times, it also was horribly lonely at times, and took it's toll on his personal life.

Watched the Berlin episode last night, it was his last, and included this nice forward by Anderson Cooper.

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information