Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Streaming Options for Chord Cutters

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:53 am
  • Ok, I've been holding off on cutting the cable chord until my commitment had expired. That happens in a matter of weeks. For those who have already cut the chord, what are your opinions of the streaming options out there? Seems to me that the main contenders for streaming content are:

1) Sling - $25 - $40 (plus add ons)

2) DirecTV Now - $40 and up (plus add ons)

3) Hulu Live - $40 (plus add ons)

4) YouTube TV - $40 month (not available in my area yet)

Are there any others I'm not seeing (outside of stand alone options like HBO, CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, etc) We really only watch a handful of channels, and we already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, so truly these all seem to have packages that have more than we need.

I think I'm leaning towards Hulu Live at the moment, because they also carry our local broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, etc) and offer 50 hours of DVR with their package, but I'm interested to hear about experiences with any of these (or ones I don't know about) both good and bad. YouTube TV isn't available for me in my area, but I wouldn't mind hearing experiences. It says they offer unlimited dvr storage which would be a huge plus, but until they are available in my area I have to wait and see.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Re: Streaming Options for Chord Cutters
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 am
  • I had Hulu Live last year during football season and felt like it was a good option. The router we were running was a POS, so for a while I thought Hulu's performance was ass. Turns out it wasn't their fault at all.

Keep in mind that you get Hulu's standard streaming features along with the Live TV. I had already been paying for Hulu, so it made sense to spend a bit more and just get live TV with it.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 am
  • Personally, I'd cut the cord and not hamper my musical appreciation. :twisted:
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 pm
  • I switched from cable to Youtube TV a couple months ago and love it. VOD as well as unlimited DVR and it's vastly cheaper than what I was paying for cable.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:47 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:Personally, I'd cut the cord and not hamper my musical appreciation. :twisted:

Beat me to it.

Kid - I've heard great things about Playstation Vue, but I haven't used anything except Sling, which I was disappointed in.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:17 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:Personally, I'd cut the cord and not hamper my musical appreciation. :twisted:

Beat me to it.

Kid - I've heard great things about Playstation Vue, but I haven't used anything except Sling, which I was disappointed in.

Thanks for the tip. Not having a playstation, I hadn't considered that one. It does look interesting, but as with the others (except hulu) it doesn't have local networks (only on demand national networks). I can get an antenna to fix that issue, but I'm hoping to keep things as simple as possible, but it may be worth at least giving it a trial run.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm
  • This is the problem with cutting the cord, it's so complicated with trying to Frankenstein together a bunch of different streaming services to get to 50% of what you had with your cable or satellite provider..............just makes it frustrating.

If I didn't love live sports, I'd cut the chord in a heartbeat. That and if my wife can't watch her 400 flip shows on HGTV she beats me with a tire iron.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:19 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:This is the problem with cutting the cord, it's so complicated with trying to Frankenstein together a bunch of different streaming services to get to 50% of what you had with your cable or satellite provider..............just makes it frustrating.

If I didn't love live sports, I'd cut the chord in a heartbeat. That and if my wife can't watch her 400 flip shows on HGTV she beats me with a tire iron.

This is why I'm leaning towards Hulu at the moment (but will likely try several). It has the local major networks live, so I would still be able to get all the same NFL games I had before without needing an antenna. The other sports networks I'd getting with my hulu trial are:

BTN
    CBS Sports Network
    ESPN
    ESPN Bases Loaded
    ESPN Goal Line
    ESPN 2
    ESPNEWS
    ESPNU
    FS1
    FS2
    NBC Golf
    NBC Sports California
    NBC Sports Network
    Olympic Channel
    SEC ESPN Network

The only sports channel not there that I'd watch would be the NFL Network, but with the TNF games being aired on local networks and Amazon prime, I have those covered, and I have kind of worn tired of their "analyses" shows anyway. Besides, I can get most of that through online videos, so I don't think I'll miss it.

As a side note, my wife has her own list of channels that were must haves. It's not a very long list, and most of the streamers have them (including HGTV)

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 pm
  • I have a set up through an stb emu. Every channel you can think of...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm
  • And get terrarium...dump Netflix.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:Personally, I'd cut the cord and not hamper my musical appreciation. :twisted:

Beat me to it.

I got PSV a few months back. I get all the local LA channels other than the CW and pretty much all the sports I want (no Pac- 12, but DTV doesn’t have that either—thanks, Larry). Bought an Amazon FireStick for each TV and I’m set. I’m paying $60 ($65 starting in August) a month for the Core package plus HBO.

The only thing I’d wish they’d add is the ability to add time onto a recorded show in case it runs over.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

Beat me to it.

I tried Vue, but it's IP based, so if you move you can get screwed. It also hampers viewing if you have multiple Playstations in the house. Overall it would be viable if you never moved and only had one PS in the house.

To be more clear, I had it under my Sony account, but then made a separate account for my wife as her PS is in the living room where the main TV is. After this it wouldn't allow her to view anything even when logged in due to the fact I already had an account in the house. It was rather silly.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 am
  • I thought you didn't need a Playstation to use Vue? Don't they have everything available via website or something? I may have heard wrong, but I know someone told me that a while back.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:21 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I thought you didn't need a Playstation to use Vue? Don't they have everything available via website or something? I may have heard wrong, but I know someone told me that a while back.

This may be the case, I never really looked into it much after trying it with the Playstation itself.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:25 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:dump Netflix.

What else is there that can provide us with what Netflix does?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:28 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:dump Netflix.

Nothing ATM. Plus, a lot of Netflix original series and movies are rather well done. I finally finished Luke Cage and JJ season 2, both were fantastic IMO.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:.dump Netflix.

Nope.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:51 am
  • Netflix has the nicest looking, easiest to use, and quickest interface. They have better original content than Hulu or Amazon Prime. They have more 4k content. Their content has better audio support. You can actually watch old TV shows in their native 4:3 aspect ratio unlike Hulu where you are forced to watch it zoomed in and stretched image. I can't even watch Seinfeld on Hulu because I can't change it to 4:3.

I realize this topic is about streaming live TV which Netflix does not offer, but anyone who says "dump Netflix" needs to understand how awesome Netflix is.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Netflix has the nicest looking, easiest to use, and quickest interface. They have better original content than Hulu or Amazon Prime. They have more 4k content. Their content has better audio support. You can actually watch old TV shows in their native 4:3 aspect ratio unlike Hulu where you are forced to watch it zoomed in and stretched image. I can't even watch Seinfeld on Hulu because I can't change it to 4:3.

I realize this topic is about streaming live TV which Netflix does not offer, but anyone who says "dump Netflix" needs to understand how awesome Netflix is.

Definitely won't be giving up Netflix anytime in the foreseeable future. It, along with Amazon Prime I'll be keeping in addition to whichever "TV" streaming service I end up with.

One good thing about all this is there is no real commitment to any of these streaming sties. I can opt in or opt out of any of them at any time.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:59 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Netflix has the nicest looking, easiest to use, and quickest interface. They have better original content than Hulu or Amazon Prime. They have more 4k content. Their content has better audio support. You can actually watch old TV shows in their native 4:3 aspect ratio unlike Hulu where you are forced to watch it zoomed in and stretched image. I can't even watch Seinfeld on Hulu because I can't change it to 4:3.

Netflix IMO is the greatest value in the history of TV.

For $11 a month you could literally do nothing but watch TV for an entire year 24 hrs a day and not even scratch the surface on quality content..............and there's no sign Netflix is slowing down or anyone's threatening their empire of cash and subscribers.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm
  • We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. When I say we have "Amazon Prime" it isn't really for their streaming Prime content, but Amazon in general is nice for being able to rent (or even buy) movies. Keep in mind you can get your basic channels with a good antennae (that's the plural spelling, isn't it?) too. Sling is okay. Honestly I could probably go without it but sometimes it's nice to have regular channels you can flip on every now and then. And depending on the package, you can get ESPN, which can come in handy.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:dump Netflix.

Terrarium TV... all the Netflix content plus everything else like Amazon hulu etc. Netflix in canada sucks compared to US.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Terrarium TV... all the Netflix content plus everything else like Amazon hulu etc. Netflix in canada sucks compared to US.

I'll avoid torrents, especially considering NN is dead.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I thought you didn't need a Playstation to use Vue? Don't they have everything available via website or something? I may have heard wrong, but I know someone told me that a while back.

This may be the case, I never really looked into it much after trying it with the Playstation itself.

Yes, I get it through an app via Amazon FireStick.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:22 am
  • HawkGA wrote:We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. When I say we have "Amazon Prime" it isn't really for their streaming Prime content, but Amazon in general is nice for being able to rent (or even buy) movies. Keep in mind you can get your basic channels with a good antennae (that's the plural spelling, isn't it?) too. Sling is okay. Honestly I could probably go without it but sometimes it's nice to have regular channels you can flip on every now and then. And depending on the package, you can get ESPN, which can come in handy.

Very true that Antennae is plural..but sentence structure says that A Good Antennae is a singular unit coupled with a plural setting. Now if it were said that basic channels can be had with a good set of antennae, you would be fine. Set being the objective noun and of antennae being a prepositional phrase.

I have about 47 channels and half are not really watchable to me which is fine off my over the air antenna. I dont have that much time to deal with tv until the evening and 35 million commercials are not making it worth while to watch much.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am
  • I've been extremely disappointed with Netflix content. I'm not a Sci-Fi or comic book guy, so I dunno, I don't see much. Stranger Things is pretty good.

Dunno what ISP you're going with, but right now, I'm seeing XFinity deals where they're offering their basic 10-channel TV streaming option for like $5 month, which will get a new customer basic channels, including CBS and Fox. Outside of that, I'm just planning on spam streaming. I cut the cord to save money, and by paying $40 for a streaming TV service, it's almost as much as just paying for tv. I don't really get that option.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:01 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. When I say we have "Amazon Prime" it isn't really for their streaming Prime content, but Amazon in general is nice for being able to rent (or even buy) movies. Keep in mind you can get your basic channels with a good antennae (that's the plural spelling, isn't it?) too. Sling is okay. Honestly I could probably go without it but sometimes it's nice to have regular channels you can flip on every now and then. And depending on the package, you can get ESPN, which can come in handy.

Very true that Antennae is plural..but sentence structure says that A Good Antennae is a singular unit coupled with a plural setting. Now if it were said that basic channels can be had with a good set of antennae, you would be fine. Set being the objective noun and of antennae being a prepositional phrase.

I have about 47 channels and half are not really watchable to me which is fine off my over the air antenna. I dont have that much time to deal with tv until the evening and 35 million commercials are not making it worth while to watch much.

My antenna gets me 11 channels, none of which are CBS or Fox. Was hoping to be able to catch Hawks games that way, but I think I'm going to spamstream instead.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am
  • sc85sis wrote:Yes, I get it through an app via Amazon FireStick.

Thanks for that info!
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 am
  • I have had Sling for close to 3 years now and haven't had any problems. I am in Florida now but moving back to WA next week and not having Root Sports and Mariners games could be a killer though. The only other channel I wish they had that they don't is Discovery.

I run Sling through my Roku and it is pretty seamless.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. When I say we have "Amazon Prime" it isn't really for their streaming Prime content, but Amazon in general is nice for being able to rent (or even buy) movies. Keep in mind you can get your basic channels with a good antennae (that's the plural spelling, isn't it?) too. Sling is okay. Honestly I could probably go without it but sometimes it's nice to have regular channels you can flip on every now and then. And depending on the package, you can get ESPN, which can come in handy.

My antenna gets me 11 channels, none of which are CBS or Fox. Was hoping to be able to catch Hawks games that way, but I think I'm going to spamstream instead.

May want to try this for information. It is interesting where your antenna may need to be pointed for channel selection. I have a few different angles for transmission reception.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

I am just here to help.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 pm
  • Thanks. I tried it in probably 20 places. 11 was the most I could get.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:46 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Thanks. I tried it in probably 20 places. 11 was the most I could get.

I don’t believe there are even 11 over the air channels in my area. Definitely not 11 I’d ever view.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Thanks. I tried it in probably 20 places. 11 was the most I could get.

I don’t believe there are even 11 over the air channels in my area. Definitely not 11 I’d ever view.

Unfortunately, they did not show a few channels I get that are pretty good. I get Comet which was not shown on the breakdown. Comet is an OTA channel showing SciFY classics. There is another channel that shows Ensign crussher as a DnD specialist playing Role pLaying Games with 3 other persons and he as the DM/Moderator. Just have to see what is out there.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Thanks. I tried it in probably 20 places. 11 was the most I could get.

Unfortunately, they did not show a few channels I get that are pretty good. I get Comet which was not shown on the breakdown. Comet is an OTA channel showing SciFY classics. There is another channel that shows Ensign crussher as a DnD specialist playing Role pLaying Games with 3 other persons and he as the DM/Moderator. Just have to see what is out there.

I assume that living in areas where towns are closer together, there are more options for those with a good antenna, but living here, there is a limited amount of over the air stations within the proximity of even the best antenna (at least as far as I have been able to find).

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:07 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

I assume that living in areas where towns are closer together, there are more options for those with a good antenna, but living here, there is a limited amount of over the air stations within the proximity of even the best antenna (at least as far as I have been able to find).

True my friend. I am in a valley and have a better access to antenna or Radio waves from where they have the repeater. My area when in Washington in the Columbia valley probably had a few but we were in a deep well there too. Still watched some great programs snowy back in the day from spokane. Othello is a long way from spokane from what I recall.......as a child.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am
  • Just thought I'd update this after trying a few. I'm still using hulu live as they do give me my local channels, but I did the trial for Sling and I like the interface better, but overall, I think that the programming availability was better on Hulu than on sling. Especially considering the library of shows that you get with Hulu.

One thing I definitely didn't like about Hulu (and it caught me off guard) was that apparently my local FOX station which broadcasts the Seahawks pre-season games live, decided to block hulu from streaming their channel during the game. It makes zero sense, as the only people who can stream that channel are people living in the area, but that's what they did. I end up streaming the local Seattle broadcast through the Seahawks app to watch the game this week, but I am getting an antenna so I won't have this problem in the future.

With that said, getting the anntena allows for me to have more options in my streaming services. I plan on trying the DirecTV Now once the Fall programming gets started and see how that goes.

Another plus for Hulu over Sling (at least for me) was I had access to CBS. If I go with Sling, I'd have to add CBS all Access (which I may do in the future, but not right now).

I am considering getting a dvr to record over the air which would leave me a lot more options of what I would actually need to get for a streaming service. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on something like that quite yet, but if anyone has any advice as to a decent dvr set up for over the air recording that doesn't add to the monthly bill, I'd happily accept recommendations. I would prefer to be able to set up a secondary device on our 2nd television which would have to be wireless, which would feed off the main device, but this isn't an absolute necessity, just a perk.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 am
  • I got 2 Homeworx DVRs with separate USB connected external hard drives...2TB each. They can only record one program at a time. You can of course watch one program while recording another or same program too. Dunno about any other ones.
    Good luck Kidhawk.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 am
  • I can't stand that kind of crap - arbitrarily disallowing content. All these little shell games should be illegal........just let us buy the damned content we want - period. It needs to be treated like music. I can go buy a song from myriad sources online and it's simple, and easy. Google Play Music doesn't tell me I can buy a Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit today, then change their mind and say I can't tomorrow.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Google Play Music doesn't tell me I can buy a Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit today, then change their mind and say I can't tomorrow.

Courtney Love could say that though. :twisted:

I'm with you though, digital content should be readily available for purchase. Maybe not immediately for movies, but most are at least coming out a few months later digitally.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:07 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I can't stand that kind of crap - arbitrarily disallowing content. All these little shell games should be illegal........just let us buy the damned content we want - period. It needs to be treated like music. I can go buy a song from myriad sources online and it's simple, and easy. Google Play Music doesn't tell me I can buy a Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit today, then change their mind and say I can't tomorrow.

I know that the easiest way for me to watch the preseason games is NFL GamePass.

It’s not cheap by any means but it’s legal, and it doesn’t require me to hunt for other ways. I can watch on my television or any other of my “devices” no matter my location.

Having said that, I wonder if the NFL has some agreement with these other providers to block the games?

Just speculation but seems feasible.

I pay a freaking small fortune for my direct TV w/ NFL Sunday Ticket but I see it as a convenience.

Kinda like the $4 gallon of milk @ the corner store.

I’d love to see the entire system of “TV” get an overhaul. Not sure what the answer is but we need something better.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:I’d love to see the entire system of “TV” get an overhaul. Not sure what the answer is but we need something better.

The answer is a la carte purchasing. Make every channel available for its own price. Bundle if you want, but let me buy WHAT I WANT, WHERE I WANT!

If I could, I'd buy HBO, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, Sunday Ticket, AMC, FX, and probably one or two others I can't think of right now if I could get that all through one interface/experience, and with all content available on those channels that is what the "cable people" get from them, and live without delay.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:I know that the easiest way for me to watch the preseason games is NFL GamePass.

It’s not cheap by any means but it’s legal, and it doesn’t require me to hunt for other ways. I can watch on my television or any other of my “devices” no matter my location.

Having said that, I wonder if the NFL has some agreement with these other providers to block the games?

This is what I know about my situation as it pertains here:

1) I looked into NFL Game pass, and since my local channel paid for broadcast rights to the Seahawks Pre-Season games, I am considered "In market" For those games and thus I get blacked out of watching live on Game Pass. At this point, my only feasible option is antenna (as I'm not going back to cable)

2) As for the NFL and agreements..Local channels can purchase the local rights for pre-season teams. I believe they purchase those rights directly from the team. Obviously the home town for each market already gets these games as well. Any games that are owned by a local station (or home town station) get to broadcast them live without competition, so NFL game pass or if NFL network were to be airing it as a national game, would black it out in those regions.

This makes sense and I can understand it (whether I like it or not is another story), but in my above situation, I would have still been watching it on my local channel, with all the commercials that come with it, only I'd have been watching it through hulu. There was really no reason to black that out. What really was bothersome, is that the local FOX channel here has also purchased the Steelers Pre-season games to show locally live, and that game was on right before the Seahawks game (it in fact ended just as the Seahawks were kicking off). The Steelers game aired in full, but halfway through the 1st quarter I got the message that the Seahawks game was blacked out. It just makes no sense. May have been a glitch, but I can't take that chance, which is why I have an antenna coming tomorrow. I was just lucky to find a legal stream through the Seahawks App so I didn't miss too much of the game and re-watched the NFL network version the next day.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I know that the easiest way for me to watch the preseason games is NFL GamePass.

This is what I know about my situation as it pertains here:

1) I looked into NFL Game pass, and since my local channel paid for broadcast rights to the Seahawks Pre-Season games, I am considered "In market" For those games and thus I get blacked out of watching live on Game Pass. At this point, my only feasible option is antenna (as I'm not going back to cable)

2) As for the NFL and agreements..Local channels can purchase the local rights for pre-season teams. I believe they purchase those rights directly from the team. Obviously the home town for each market already gets these games as well. Any games that are owned by a local station (or home town station) get to broadcast them live without competition, so NFL game pass or if NFL network were to be airing it as a national game, would black it out in those regions.

This makes sense and I can understand it (whether I like it or not is another story), but in my above situation, I would have still been watching it on my local channel, with all the commercials that come with it, only I'd have been watching it through hulu. There was really no reason to black that out. What really was bothersome, is that the local FOX channel here has also purchased the Steelers Pre-season games to show locally live, and that game was on right before the Seahawks game (it in fact ended just as the Seahawks were kicking off). The Steelers game aired in full, but halfway through the 1st quarter I got the message that the Seahawks game was blacked out. It just makes no sense. May have been a glitch, but I can't take that chance, which is why I have an antenna coming tomorrow. I was just lucky to find a legal stream through the Seahawks App so I didn't miss too much of the game and re-watched the NFL network version the next day.

I’ve got a pretty good grasp of your situation.

I use GamePass for the preseason games only.

In fact, if I want to see the games “live”, GamePass seems to be my only option.

I know there are ways around my “problem, I’m just not willing to jump through those hoops.

I use Direct Tv but the only reason I do is, I need/want “SundayTicket”

My DTV bill during the 3-4 months of the football season is over $200 a month.

I do enjoy the amount of programming that I receive but SundayTicket is my main focus, if we had a way of “buying” each game on a “per game” basis, I’d do that in a NewYork minute, and piss on the rest of TV.

The fact that I can watch my home TV on any device (tablet/phone etc) is a huge plus, it basically means I won’t miss a game no matter where I’m at.
    3-4 games a year I’m at work and would miss if not for SundayTicket and the DTV App.

It’s my choice but DTV has me by the balls.

I’m with Roland on this, we should be able to purchase what we want, not be forced to bundle this or that.

I know there’s ways around the issue, I’m just not willing to go that route.

Like I said above, we could use a complete overhaul of the system but that would probably take the government stepping in, and I’m not sure that’s the best route.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:00 pm
  • But how would all the local and government channels survive if they were not baked into the content you buy.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    I’ve got a pretty good grasp of your situation.

I use GamePass for the preseason games only.

In fact, if I want to see the games “live”, GamePass seems to be my only option.

I know there are ways around my “problem, I’m just not willing to jump through those hoops.

I've always been glad to have the ability to watch the games live on local tv here, and I still am, but in this instance, I envy the ability for you to be able to get the game pass games live streamed. That was one of the first options I looked at, but I'll have to go the antenna route as they black them out on game pass for me here. It just means for now I won't be able to dvr the live versions, but if need be, I can always dvr the NFL network replays for this pre season. By next year, I should have an over the air dvr set up so it will no longer be an issue.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm
  • weed 2 they didn't block hulu from the game, so hopefully week 1 was just some type of technical error. I was able to record the game last week and am scheduling a recording for tonight's game as well. Hopefully it'll be available. I did get my OTA channels working and was able to get CBS, PBS, FOX and NBC, so I'm covered as far as football is concerned. Now I just need to wait for fall tv to see which streaming works best for my wife's tv watching.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:29 am
  • kidhawk wrote:weed 2 they didn't block hulu from the game, so hopefully week 1 was just some type of technical error. I was able to record the game last week and am scheduling a recording for tonight's game as well. Hopefully it'll be available. I did get my OTA channels working and was able to get CBS, PBS, FOX and NBC, so I'm covered as far as football is concerned. Now I just need to wait for fall tv to see which streaming works best for my wife's tv watching.

I was able to watch week 2 on Hulu but it was blocked week 1 and 3. I cant find a reason why anywhere. Hulu still claims you can watch all the games.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 pm
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:weed 2 they didn't block hulu from the game, so hopefully week 1 was just some type of technical error. I was able to record the game last week and am scheduling a recording for tonight's game as well. Hopefully it'll be available. I did get my OTA channels working and was able to get CBS, PBS, FOX and NBC, so I'm covered as far as football is concerned. Now I just need to wait for fall tv to see which streaming works best for my wife's tv watching.

I was able to watch week 2 on Hulu but it was blocked week 1 and 3. I cant find a reason why anywhere. Hulu still claims you can watch all the games.

I had the same problem week 1 but 2 and 3 have been alright. I did have an issue where I couldn’t access the recorded part for some reason until later but I watched the 2nd half live on Hulu and the first half later on the recording. Still glad I have the antenna as a backup though. Can’t be too safe

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information