Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Star Wars: Episode IX

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Star Wars: Episode IX
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:26 pm
  • I'm sorry if this thread seems redundant, but I'm nerding out right now, and I figured this was the perfect piece of news to start this thread with:

BILLY DEE WILLIAMS IS RETURNING AS LANDO CALRISSIAN IN EPISODE IX!!!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

Sorry, but this is the first truly exciting Star Wars news for me in a general year of negativity from everyone. I am elated at this.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Star Wars: Episode IX
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm
  • One actual positive for a series that is quickly losing the fanbase....
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 pm
  • I would be excited, but then I realized what's going to happen.

Whatever bug Lucas had that made him go back and add digital effects to every damned scene in the old movies...

Disney has with ret-conning and murdering the old characters.

They'll turn Lando into some old bastard who has a harem of androids he diddles and then kill him off at the end of the film.

I know that might sound preposterous, a snide sarcastic joke, but even as I'm typing this Disney is about to say "hold my beer"...

and they'll come up with something even crazier and stupider than I just described above as a joke...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 pm
  • If it's a "seek out" Lando situation, it'll be interesting to see what they do considering we won't see Leia. Could it somehow have been one of the last things she did; contact Lando or tell them to contact Lando? Or maybe R2 or 3PO bring up the idea? Not sure who else that's around would have that connect. Nien Nunb I guess, would they give him a role like that? Could be interesting.

My guess is that maybe he picked up the Resistance's distress signal and shows up to help, fashionably late, of course. I think that's the simplest route and would make plenty of sense without having to do anything tricky or fancy to bring him back. Or maybe he shows up for Leia's funeral. Plenty of reasonable ways to write him into the script.

Either way he'll show up fashionably late with a handsome droid on his arm. I'm glad they're bringing him in, although I wish they'd done it in TFA. I get that they decided to sort of stagger the appearances of legacy characters, and I see how that makes sense, but it would have been nice to see him and Han together or just to have him involved in some capacity up to this point.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm
  • I'm still waiting for episode 8. Anyone know when that's coming out?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:I would be excited, but then I realized what's going to happen.

Whatever bug Lucas had that made him go back and add digital effects to every damned scene in the old movies...

Disney has with ret-conning and murdering the old characters.

They'll turn Lando into some old bastard who has a harem of androids he diddles and then kill him off at the end of the film.

I know that might sound preposterous, a snide sarcastic joke, but even as I'm typing this Disney is about to say "hold my beer"...

and they'll come up with something even crazier and stupider than I just described above as a joke...

Look, I get that a lot of people are unhappy with the way things have gone/are going with Star Wars these days, but can you just like start a Star Wars Sucks thread and keep your vitriolic comments in there so that those of us who actually want to talk about this stuff can do so in peace? I'll come in that thread and argue with you if you want me to, or I'll stay out of it if you'd prefer. I promise. Whatever you want, I'll do it. I'm begging you.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm
  • From a casual fan of the movies, it seems that people take Star Wars WAY too serious. It's just a series of movies, it's not life or death. Some of them are good, others not so much.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:01 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:From a casual fan of the movies, it seems that people take Star Wars WAY too serious. It's just a series of movies, it's not life or death. Some of them are good, others not so much.

From a fan who definitely takes Star Wars WAY too seriously, you are absolutely right.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm
  • They'll have to sober him up first, lol. He was pretty clearly drunk at the last two Star Wars Celebration speaking engagements he did in Orlando and L.A.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm
  • Despite being a big Star Wars fan, I would not be surprised if I wanted for it to come to Amazon before watching it.

I liked Solo but Episode VIII largely did me in for this particular storyline.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am
  • No Jar Jar, so at least we have that. :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:09 pm
  • Cast list has been released for Episode IX, confirming the return of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher (through unused footage from The Force Awakens).

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:17 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Cast list has been released for Episode IX, confirming the return of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher (through unused footage from The Force Awakens).

Thanks for posting this, Maulbert.

Interesting that they'll use unused footage from TFA for Leia/Carrie's part. I figured IX would most likely begin with a funeral for Leia or the like, but that might not be the case. I just hope whatever they do is classy and isn't cheesy (coughLeiaSupermancough).
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:24 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Interesting that they'll use unused footage from TFA for Leia/Carrie's part. I figured IX would most likely begin with a funeral for Leia or the like, but that might not be the case. I just hope whatever they do is classy and isn't cheesy (coughLeiaSupermancough).

Yes. I hope they don't overdo it with her. Keep it classy, quick and subtle. And the same with Luke. I mean, if he comes back as a Force ghost as we probably all assume he will, they can use him as much as they want and even show him having the ability to do things we've never seen a Force ghost do. I'm ok with him still having a big role to play, but I don't want to see him flying around, shooting lightening out of his eyes and being the hero (again). Let the new generation have their moments.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:26 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Cast list has been released for Episode IX, confirming the return of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher (through unused footage from The Force Awakens).

Interesting that they'll use unused footage from TFA for Leia/Carrie's part. I figured IX would most likely begin with a funeral for Leia or the like, but that might not be the case. I just hope whatever they do is classy and isn't cheesy (coughLeiaSupermancough).

At least one video on YouTube discussed the possibility of manipulating the footage by making it holographic in the film, that the filter could hide noticeable changes. Personally, I doubt that, as Kathleen Kennedy has stated previously they have no intention of digitally resurrecting Carrie Fisher, and this idea goes too far in that direction for me to think it likely.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm
  • Inb4 she dies due to a "broken heart" just like Padme. /s
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Cast list has been released for Episode IX, confirming the return of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher (through unused footage from The Force Awakens).

At least one video on YouTube discussed the possibility of manipulating the footage by making it holographic in the film, that the filter could hide noticeable changes. Personally, I doubt that, as Kathleen Kennedy has stated previously they have no intention of digitally resurrecting Carrie Fisher, and this idea goes too far in that direction for me to think it likely.

As long as it's real footage of her I think it would be ok.

It's pretty amazing how much she aged between TFA and TLJ. If you go back and watch TFA after watching TLJ a few times she looks considerably younger. I imagine she wasn't feeling very well at this point in her life.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:24 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:No Jar Jar, so at least we have that. :lol:

Dude, Am I the only one that liked Jar Jar?

:rumble: :stirthepot: :rumble:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:26 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:No Jar Jar, so at least we have that. :lol:

Jar Jar is far from the worst thing about the prequels, but that's as close as I'll come to "liked".
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:27 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:

Jar Jar was the real phantom menace 8)
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

There is a theory out there, with some credence, I might add, that Lucas was genuinely intending to reveal Jar Jar as a Sith, but after he had such a negative reaction in The Phantom Menace, Lucas backed off of it. Honestly, if there is any truth to this, I would have preferred it to what we got. It would have explained a lot about Jar Jar.

In other words, there is at least a small possibility that, yes, Jar Jar really was supposed to be the real Phantom Menace.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

There is a theory out there, with some credence, I might add, that Lucas was genuinely intending to reveal Jar Jar as a Sith, but after he had such a negative reaction in The Phantom Menace, Lucas backed off of it. Honestly, if there is any truth to this, I would have preferred it to what we got. It would have explained a lot about Jar Jar.

In other words, there is at least a small possibility that, yes, Jar Jar really was supposed to be the real Phantom Menace.

I don't buy it as a legit intention. Maybe he thought about it, briefly, or joked about it with the writers or whatever, but I highly doubt it was ever an honest idea of where to take the story. But who knows.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I don't buy it as a legit intention. Maybe he thought about it, briefly, or joked about it with the writers or whatever, but I highly doubt it was ever an honest idea of where to take the story. But who knows.

If you read up on what Lucas envisioned and wanted to do for the original trilogy, Darth Jar Jar is not only entirely possible, but maybe even probable.

Thank God for Lucas's first wife, Marcia - combined with the fact that Lucas didn't really direct the original trilogy; otherwise we wouldn't know what Star Wars is because the first one would have bombed and there never would have been an Empire Strikes Back.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:01 pm
  • I'm just trying to give George the benefit of the doubt in assuming that if there was ever really the idea of Jar Jar being a sith it was abandoned very early. Of course anything is possible.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:06 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm just trying to give George the benefit of the doubt in assuming that if there was ever really the idea of Jar Jar being a sith it was abandoned very early. Of course anything is possible.

Well, strictly speaking, 1999 was really early in the prequel trilogy, and George Lucas seemed genuinely shocked about Jar Jar's reception.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm just trying to give George the benefit of the doubt

Why? Serious question. I'm assuming you're aware of just how screwed up his plans for Star Wars were. We love Star Wars in spite of George Lucas, not because of him.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm just trying to give George the benefit of the doubt

Why? Serious question. I'm assuming you're aware of just how screwed up his plans for Star Wars were. We love Star Wars in spite of George Lucas, not because of him.

That's true. There's a fair few people that believe Star Wars lost it's way when Lucas and Gary Kurtz had a falling out after Empire, and that Kurtz was the one that honed and directed Lucas's vision.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:That's true. There's a fair few people that believe Star Wars lost it's way when Lucas and Gary Kurtz had a falling out after Empire, and that Kurtz was the one that honed and directed Lucas's vision.

Yeah, but there's a lot more to it than just Gary Kurtz. People were practically holding George Lucas back left and right all over the place to prevent him from ruining everything. It's comical.

If only James Cameron had been able to keep the rights to The Terminator like George Lucas kept them for Star Wars...we'd have some more amazing Terminator films already made.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:That's true. There's a fair few people that believe Star Wars lost it's way when Lucas and Gary Kurtz had a falling out after Empire, and that Kurtz was the one that honed and directed Lucas's vision.

Yeah, but there's a lot more to it than just Gary Kurtz. People were practically holding George Lucas back left and right all over the place to prevent him from ruining everything. It's comical.

If only James Cameron had been able to keep the rights to The Terminator like George Lucas kept them for Star Wars...we'd have some more amazing Terminator films already made.

George made a brilliant decision when he bargained for sequel and merchandising rights in lieu of his director's fee and a share of the BO. No arguing that.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm just trying to give George the benefit of the doubt

Well, it's a little bit of both, if we're being completely honest. We might have gotten a much better version of his idea thanks to some better creative minds than his, but it was still his idea.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:19 pm
  • LOS ANGELES (AP) — Carrie Fisher is not done with "Star Wars" after all — Lucasfilm says unreleased footage of the actress will be used in the next installment of the "Star Wars" saga to draw her character's story to an end.

The studio and writer-director J.J. Abrams announced Friday that footage of Fisher shot for 2015's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will be used in the ninth film in the space opera's core trilogies about the Skywalker family that includes Fisher's character, Leia.

Filming is scheduled to begin Wednesday at London's Pinewood Studios.

Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker, will also appear in the film, which for the moment is simply called "Episode IX." It is scheduled to be released in December 2019.

Fisher died in December 2016 after she finished work on the middle installment in the trilogy, "The Last Jedi." Director Rian Johnson opted not alter her storyline, leaving Leia's fate to be handled by Abrams.

"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher," Abrams said in a statement. "Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us."

He said recasting Fisher or recreating her using computer graphics, as was done in a spinoff film "Rogue One," was not an option.

"With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

https://komonews.com/news/entertainment ... er-footage
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:LOS ANGELES (AP) — Carrie Fisher is not done with "Star Wars" after all — Lucasfilm says unreleased footage of the actress will be used in the next installment of the "Star Wars" saga to draw her character's story to an end.

The studio and writer-director J.J. Abrams announced Friday that footage of Fisher shot for 2015's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will be used in the ninth film in the space opera's core trilogies about the Skywalker family that includes Fisher's character, Leia.

Filming is scheduled to begin Wednesday at London's Pinewood Studios.

Mark Hamill, who plays Luke Skywalker, will also appear in the film, which for the moment is simply called "Episode IX." It is scheduled to be released in December 2019.

Fisher died in December 2016 after she finished work on the middle installment in the trilogy, "The Last Jedi." Director Rian Johnson opted not alter her storyline, leaving Leia's fate to be handled by Abrams.

"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher," Abrams said in a statement. "Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us."

He said recasting Fisher or recreating her using computer graphics, as was done in a spinoff film "Rogue One," was not an option.

"With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie's legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII."

https://komonews.com/news/entertainment ... er-footage

I already posted the casting list announcing this. We actually discussed it a few posts above.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm
  • Sorry, I missed it with all the Jar Jar talk. :oops: :greetingsearthling:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:18 pm
  • Darth Binks
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:20 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Darth Binks

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Darth Binks

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 pm
  • What could've been.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:41 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:What could've been.

Well, seeing as how I don't really want to have been forced to hang myself, I'm kind of glad it didn't come to fruition.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:04 pm
  • Some Kearly style Sunday afternoon Random Thoughts™ on Episode IX:

Can't imagine we'll see much of Leia, but it is good to know that we will see her some and hopefully get a proper send off, without it being too overblown or cheesy. Since we're going to apparently get actual live footage of her from TFA, that says to me that we're going to at least get more than a funeral. Will we actually see her death? Or maybe we get her as a Force ghost? That would be the easiest, I think.

I think we all assume we'll see Luke as a Force ghost. I think that I hope they leave him in sort of a "mentor" role for Rey, an inspiration to the Rebellion, and maybe he sort of haunts Kylo. Don't think I want to see him somehow be the hero again, I think it's time to let the new generation shine. I keep having this vision of Luke levitating way up in the sky with white eyeballs shooting lightning out of his fingers and it scares the shit out of me. I don't want a video game. We already have those.

Looking forward to seeing Lando, I think it's a mistake that they didn't bring him in earlier, let him and Han/Chewie have at least a moment in TFA, but better late than never, I guess.

The new cast additions Naomi Ackie, Richard E. Grant, and Keri Russell, all intriguing. Real people? Motion capture characters? I'm guessing at least one will be MoCap, but who knows. We'll obviously learn more about their roles as time goes on.

Also be interesting to see what JJ does with Rose. Does he like the character? Will he keep her in the forefront? Or is he gonna tuck her away like Rian Johnson did with Maz (and Snap) and like George Lucas was pressured into doing with Jar Jar hahaha. What does he really think of Rian Johnson's story? I guess we'll find out.

Do I have confidence in JJ's ability to close out not only this trilogy, but the entirety of the Skywalker saga fittingly? No. No I absolutely do not. But I'm hoping for the best. I hope he's putting that first, far ahead of the apparent behind-the-scenes tug-o-war that many believe to be going on.

Production starts Weds, so I'm sure it won't be long before we start getting leaks and official reports, some first looks at sets & costumes and such. Long 17 months till the movie comes out. I imagine we'll get a teaser of some sort at Celebration in April. :irishdrinkers:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 am
  • I'm actually hoping more for the haunting Kylo part.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am
  • HawkGA wrote:I'm actually hoping more for the haunting Kylo part.

Could be tight.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm
  • So Leia's going to get the Pink Panther treatment.

Eh. Guess if her daughter's okay with it, so am I.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:So Leia's going to get the Pink Panther treatment.

Eh. Guess if her daughter's okay with it, so am I.

Hopefully it'll be minimal. Could always just be flashback material.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:03 pm
  • Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 pm
  • Would make a lot of sense. A pretty easy "appease the fanboys" move too. I wouldn't be mad at it. It would make whatever happens with him and Ezra/Sabine more interesting, and it could be a good bridge to explaining Snoke & the First Order, for those who feel like they need that whole thing explained to them in a movie.

My initial reaction is that he's not Thrawn. But the more I think about it and how much sense it would make, both on and off screen, I'm starting to lean the other direction.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 am
  • Saw this...had to post. I am just a messenger....
    Attachments
    disneyborg.jpg
    disneyborg.jpg (30.11 KiB) Viewed 296 times
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:47 am
  • Wouldn't that be some shit. Not likely anytime soon, IMO.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Would make a lot of sense. A pretty easy "appease the fanboys" move too. I wouldn't be mad at it. It would make whatever happens with him and Ezra/Sabine more interesting, and it could be a good bridge to explaining Snoke & the First Order, for those who feel like they need that whole thing explained to them in a movie.

My initial reaction is that he's not Thrawn. But the more I think about it and how much sense it would make, both on and off screen, I'm starting to lean the other direction.

Wouldn't the lack of blue skin be a problem?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:57 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Wouldn't that be some shit. Not likely anytime soon, IMO.

Totally agree.....since they got Capt Jean-Luc Picard back....it aint happnin.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information