Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Star Wars: Episode IX
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:11 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Would make a lot of sense. A pretty easy "appease the fanboys" move too. I wouldn't be mad at it. It would make whatever happens with him and Ezra/Sabine more interesting, and it could be a good bridge to explaining Snoke & the First Order, for those who feel like they need that whole thing explained to them in a movie.

My initial reaction is that he's not Thrawn. But the more I think about it and how much sense it would make, both on and off screen, I'm starting to lean the other direction.

Wouldn't the lack of blue skin be a problem?

Definitely.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Wouldn't that be some shit. Not likely anytime soon, IMO.

Totally agree.....since they got Capt Jean-Luc Picard back....it aint happnin.

It would be a byproduct of Disney acquiring Paramount. Disney wouldn't just buy Star Trek.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm
  • Disney might split Episode IX into two movies. While I'm generally against such things, I am hopefully they would treat the existing Episode VIII as a dream sequence and then essentially re-do it with part one and then part two would be the real Episode IX.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/star ... franchise/
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 pm
  • Lol:

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 am
  • They will make the Lando character closeted gay and secretly in love with Solo.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 pm
  • Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 am
  • Bahaha that was fantastic, Zeb.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am
  • Star Wars is dead to me.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:01 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Star Wars is dead to me.

That TOTALLY changed my opinion. I'm going to hate Star Wars from now on just because it's dead to you.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:40 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Star Wars is dead to me.

That TOTALLY changed my opinion. I'm going to hate Star Wars from now on just because it's dead to you.

Okay.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:Star Wars is dead to me.

Okay.

Well that settles that.

So anyway, what do you guys think of Rose leading the Resistance now that Leia is gone?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm
  • Sounds awful and doesn't make sense. She can lead the resbelliance, though. Whatever that is.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Sounds awful and doesn't make sense. She can lead the resbelliance, though. Whatever that is.

That's what happens when you're not sure if they're going with Resistance or Rebellion for the next movie.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Sounds awful and doesn't make sense. She can lead the resbelliance, though. Whatever that is.

That's what happens when you're not sure if they're going with Resistance or Rebellion for the next movie.

Hasn't it been the Resistance in the ST? I guess I see what you're saying, though. Either way, it doesn't make sense to me. You'd think Poe, Finn, Rey or one of the other randoms would be first in line for leadership.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:32 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Sounds awful and doesn't make sense. She can lead the resbelliance, though. Whatever that is.

Hasn't it been the Resistance in the ST? I guess I see what you're saying, though. Either way, it doesn't make sense to me. You'd think Poe, Finn, Rey or one of the other randoms would be first in line for leadership.

It was Resistance in TFA and then about halfway through TLJ they started saying Rebellion again. And yeah, obviously Poe is the de facto leader at this point, depending on what actually happens with Leia on screen.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am
  • Rewatched TLJ last night and it's crazy how torn I am on that movie. I think they nailed some things, but totally blew it on some others.

I don't want to see anymore of Rose. Not only do I dislike her character, but I hate just about every piece of dialogue she has in the movie. So shallow. If she ends up leading the rebellion I'll be floored at how poor the decision making is in this trilogy. Every movie has it's flaws, or at the very least creative decisions that folks will disagree with, but I don't think I could handle another "I saved you, dummy" moment again. It's like she came straight from a Care Bears Star Wars crossover. "Saving what we love." Gross.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Rewatched TLJ last night and it's crazy how torn I am on that movie. I think they nailed some things, but totally blew it on some others.

I don't want to see anymore of Rose. Not only do I dislike her character, but I hate just about every piece of dialogue she has in the movie. So shallow. If she ends up leading the rebellion I'll be floored at how poor the decision making is in this trilogy. Every movie has it's flaws, or at the very least creative decisions that folks will disagree with, but I don't think I could handle another "I saved you, dummy" moment again. It's like she came straight from a Care Bears Star Wars crossover. "Saving what we love." Gross.

I suspect that with the death of most of the Resistance's leadership in TLJ, and the unfortunate passing of Carrie Fisher, the Resistance drafts General Calrissian out of retirement, especially since Billy Dee Williams is already confirmed.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Rewatched TLJ last night and it's crazy how torn I am on that movie. I think they nailed some things, but totally blew it on some others.

I suspect that with the death of most of the Resistance's leadership in TLJ, and the unfortunate passing of Carrie Fisher, the Resistance drafts General Calrissian out of retirement, especially since Billy Dee Williams is already confirmed.

I'm almost positive we'll see less of Rose in 9. I'd bet money on it. Unless JJ just wants to twist the knife haha. She was for sure the least likable part of TLJ for me. I don't full on hate her like a lot of people do, but I sure don't really care much about her. And her disney-kid persona can definitely go. If JJ makes her a little more rough around the edges and less Care Bearsy I'll be happy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:41 pm
  • Maulbert - I could definitely get down to a Lando return. Interested to see what kind of shape his character is in all these years later lol.

Zeb - Yeah, it was the ridiculous Disney-kid persona like you said. So much seriousness in that movie and then there's Rose speaking like a child, trying to give us shallow commentary on war profiteering, etc.

Do you guys think it's at all possible that this trilogy turns into a four part series? I still feel like TLJ leaves us with pretty much nothing to look forward to and the scope is so small for a saga entry. I think it would be pretty cool if IX ends up having some really cool twist or crazy finish (like Infinity War) that seemingly requires another entry. Could just be my Star Wars fandom secretly wanting that, if nothing more than to redeem this trilogy, but I also wonder if the passing of Carrie Fisher wreaked havoc on their overall storyline of the series from TLJ onward.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 pm
  • Pretty sure it's not legit but with the lack of news coming out it's better than nothing.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm
  • Hasn't this series fried itself?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Hasn't this series fried itself?

It has. To the tune of $4.8 billion at the box office alone. Deep fried and served with multiple dipping sauces.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:27 pm
  • So money is equivalent to good?.

Because I LOVED Alita Battle Angel but the critics hated it. And it didn't make a gazillion dollars, does that make it suck?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:33 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:So money is equivalent to good?.

Because I LOVED Alita Battle Angel but the critics hated it. And it didn't make a gazillion dollars, does that make it suck?

I've neither said nor insinuated such a thing.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:34 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:So money is equivalent to good?.

Me and critic's seldom agree, they want depth, art, a directorial style, a story that doesn't have flaws or fun really.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:41 pm
  • I like depth, art, style, don't mind a story that has some flaws as long as they don't take me out of it, and I also enjoy fun, although not every story is meant to be fun. I typically don't give much of a shit about what critics think.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 pm
  • Did any of you guys see Alita?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:59 pm
  • Star Wars Celebration Chicago is two weeks away. I assume we'll get Episode IX title reveal and a teaser trailer, I mean it's hard to imagine we won't get at least that, but the way they've been so silent about this movie so far I guess you never know.

I think we're going to get a lot of cool info on The Mandalorian series, which is probably going to be the next new official content we get, and probably also some info on the Cassian Andor series, maybe even some info on one or more of the yet-to-be-announced TV series that are allegedly in the works.

Maybe some more info on the Weiss & Benioff movies? That seems to be next up in the cinematic realm for Star Wars. Sounds like they're going to be going in the direction of the Old Republic or some other pre-modern era. I wonder if they're going to be trying to push the boundaries of what's acceptable in Star Wars. Is there any possibility we actually get some R rated content? I have a hard time believing Disney or Lucasfilm is ready for all of that but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

All in all though I expect Episode IX to be the main attraction of this year's event. Any other thoughts or predictions as to what we might see in a couple of weeks? I know there's only 3-4 of us here who are actually interested and optimistic about what's next in the Star Wars universe, but I'd love to hear some of your opinions on what's up next.

Largent80 wrote:Did any of you guys see Alita?

I'll check it out when it comes out on digital. Kind of looks silly to me based on the trailers, but I'm hoping it will exceed my expectations. I've heard mostly good things from people who've seen it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:07 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Did any of you guys see Alita?

Why don't you start an Alita thread? This is for Episode IX speculation, which you're clearly not interested in.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:42 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:

Why don't you start an Alita thread? This is for Episode IX speculation, which you're clearly not interested in.

Geeze...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Geeze...

Considering how often you cause me to facepalm, you've got no room to talk.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:22 am
  • Last time I checked this is an internet board where people give responses and even ask questions.

Star Wars is merely just ok now. It's simply cashing in on it's reputation. Sure there is effort there, but it just isn't compelling anymore. That's my opinion based on my viewing and nothing else.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:49 am
  • What amazed me is how they started a new trilogy without an overarching plan. Just amazing. They let Abrams set stuff up, not knowing (or caring) where he was going, let Johnson take over the second one and mess everything up, and now hand it back to Abrams all broken and expect him to finish it.

Mad Libs are fun, but they don't make good stories and Mad Libs is basically what they did with this trilogy.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:45 am
  • HawkGA wrote:What amazed me is how they started a new trilogy without an overarching plan. Just amazing. They let Abrams set stuff up, not knowing (or caring) where he was going, let Johnson take over the second one and mess everything up, and now hand it back to Abrams all broken and expect him to finish it.

JJ Abrams has been there for the entire process. Every change Johnson made to the [multiple] drafts of 8 that were already written (granted he made a lot of changes), JJ was there for, aware of, and approved of. 8 may always be the black sheep but I have a hard time believing that they didn't know how this trilogy was going to end at least to some degree all along.

George Lucas similarly made up the original trilogy as he went as well. He had an outline, and probably an ending, but they wrote, hired writers and rewrote, basically everything that happened between the destruction of the two Death Stars.

Now, as much as I don't really trust or particularly enjoy JJ's storytelling style, I think it's only fair to let him finish the story he started before we judge it, simply because the middle section of it didn't go the way we wanted, hoped, or expected it to go. Pete Carroll has a saying about winning games in the 4th quarter. ;)
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:51 pm
  • BTW the Episode IX panel at Celebration Chicago is next Friday at 11am (not sure if that's Eastern or Central time, hopefully the latter) where fans around the world are sure to be disappointed if we don't get both a title reveal and a trailer of some sort. So I imagine we'll get both. Pretty stoked. Good to have real Star Wars news right around the corner.

https://www.starwarscelebration.com/
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:10 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:BTW the Episode IX panel at Celebration Chicago is next Friday at 11am (not sure if that's Eastern or Central time, hopefully the latter) where fans around the world are sure to be disappointed if we don't get both a title reveal and a trailer of some sort. So I imagine we'll get both. Pretty stoked. Good to have real Star Wars news right around the corner.

It's cool that Celebration posts most of the panels on YouTube, unlike Comic-Cons attendees. I can't afford to go, but I can still see it online.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:BTW the Episode IX panel at Celebration Chicago is next Friday at 11am (not sure if that's Eastern or Central time, hopefully the latter) where fans around the world are sure to be disappointed if we don't get both a title reveal and a trailer of some sort. So I imagine we'll get both. Pretty stoked. Good to have real Star Wars news right around the corner.

It's cool that Celebration posts most of the panels on YouTube, unlike Comic-Cons attendees. I can't afford to go, but I can still see it online.

I'm looking forward to it but these panels be so awkward most of the time, especially when Kathleen Kennedy tries to act all cool and excited haha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:54 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:BTW the Episode IX panel at Celebration Chicago is next Friday at 11am (not sure if that's Eastern or Central time, hopefully the latter) where fans around the world are sure to be disappointed if we don't get both a title reveal and a trailer of some sort. So I imagine we'll get both. Pretty stoked. Good to have real Star Wars news right around the corner.

I'm looking forward to it but these panels be so awkward most of the time, especially when Kathleen Kennedy tries to act all cool and excited haha.

You ever watch Mark Hamill's Q&As? Genuinely funny. It's a lot like watching Kevin Smith's Q&As, but with less swearing and dick & fart jokes.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:16 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

You ever watch Mark Hamill's Q&As? Genuinely funny. It's a lot like watching Kevin Smith's Q&As, but with less swearing and dick & fart jokes.

Oh yeah, he's great. Carrie was great too. The actors all usually do pretty well, I guess it's just mainly Kennedy that's always doing something cringe worthy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:24 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:What amazed me is how they started a new trilogy without an overarching plan. Just amazing. They let Abrams set stuff up, not knowing (or caring) where he was going, let Johnson take over the second one and mess everything up, and now hand it back to Abrams all broken and expect him to finish it.

Mad Libs are fun, but they don't make good stories and Mad Libs is basically what they did with this trilogy.

Abrams didn't do the world any favors with TFA, IMO. Spend a week telling yourself, in your mind's eye and heart of hearts, that you are going to watch TFA with an honest eye to critique it with, then watch it and tell me it's anything more than "meh".
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 am
  • I'm not saying TFA was great. It definitely wasn't. But we're two movies into a trilogy and there isn't a coherent storyline. TFA didn't do itself any favors by basically being a retread of the original, but TLJ came along and that all the bed even worse than that.
    It's Star Wars so I will likely drop coin to see it, but will do so begrudgingly.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 am
  • I'm gonna give JJ a chance to answer some of the questions and finish some of the stories he started in TFA before I judge it completely. I think when you make a movie knowing it's only the first part of a 3 part story then you kind of have to give it that chance. TFA is aesthetically just about perfect and I think that was their main intention when making that movie.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm
  • TFA's plot/story may have been weak. But it's one of those movies where it doesn't matter because the flow of the movie, timing, humor, etc, all that stuff that goes into making each scene fun and exciting was done well.

Then TLJ came along and slapped us in the face with earthy gags and boringness. Like that scene where he's talking to the empire and then pretends to put them on hold...what the HELL was that? I have never seen something so uncomfortably out of place in a franchise before. And then the movie goes on to outdo itself about 14 more times until your ability to withstand cringiness has reached it's peak, causing you to turn it off and swear to pretend this movie never existed.

But yeah. Hopefully 9 is good. Just make it good, JJ. The story is screwed but you can still make it good.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm
  • What part of the story is screwed?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 am
  • HawkGA wrote:They let Abrams set stuff up, not knowing (or caring) where he was going, let Johnson take over the second one and mess everything up, and now hand it back to Abrams all broken and expect him to finish it.

Mad Libs is JJ's entire game. It's his shtick about how "the questions are more interesting than the answers" and all that. See: the entirety of Lost.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:37 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:They let Abrams set stuff up, not knowing (or caring) where he was going, let Johnson take over the second one and mess everything up, and now hand it back to Abrams all broken and expect him to finish it.

Mad Libs is JJ's entire game. It's his shtick about how "the questions are more interesting than the answers" and all that. See: the entirety of Lost.

I can only imagine the fan reaction if JJ doesn't explain Snoke haha. I almost hope he doesn't just for the fanboy tears.

I mean, I'd like to know how Snoke came to power, but I don't feel like I need to know. You know?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:09 pm
  • Isn't mad libs a political discussion?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:22 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Isn't mad libs a political discussion?

That is clever, but let's end it right there.
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am
  • JJ is 100% right. Keep the questions and complications going.

Game of Thrones is excellent precisely because it follows that philosophy.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information