Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Star Wars video games are awesome and I hope they keep making them forever and ever and continue to tell cool Star Wars stories that way.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Star Wars video games are awesome and I hope they keep making them forever and ever and continue to tell cool Star Wars stories that way.

Agreed. There needs to be another Jedi Knight game something fierce, too.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Star Wars video games are awesome and I hope they keep making them forever and ever and continue to tell cool Star Wars stories that way.

Agreed. There needs to be another Jedi Knight game something fierce, too.

I would kill for another one of those games.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Really enjoyed the last scene. Ended it all well.

Rest of it, like the trilogy, played out like the original 3. Was fine. Not sure any of it was necessary.

Hoping shows on Disney can explore the universe a bit more. Speaking of, curious where baby Yoda fits in. Mandalorian is between ROJ and TFA... so where was he?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Abrams makes an entertaining enough movie (as opposed to Johnson) but from an overall story arch, there was no reason to make these movies. None. How the heck Disney didn't have an outline for exactly what they wanted these movies to be and what the connective tissue would be is beyond me.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Uncle Si wrote:Really enjoyed the last scene. Ended it all well.

Rest of it, like the trilogy, played out like the original 3. Was fine. Not sure any of it was necessary.

Hoping shows on Disney can explore the universe a bit more. Speaking of, curious where baby Yoda fits in. Mandalorian is between ROJ and TFA... so where was he?

Given how he seems to age, he'd still basically be a toddler. Maybe he'll be Rey's first student.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Finally saw it. Went in with lowered expectations, and I enjoyed it. The first half is overstuffed because they didn't plan ahead. Not having a blueprint hurt this more than anything else. The cast did a fine job with what they had, though. The acting was much better in all 3 sequels than basically anything in the prequel trilogy that didn't come from Ewan McGregor or Liam Neeson. And if Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen had an ounce of the screen chemistry Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver had, Attack of the Clones might have been bearable. I'd put this between Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith, closer to RotS's level. It's definitely better than either The Phantom Menace or AotC. It might be a better Star Wars movie than The Last Jedi, but definitely NOT a better movie. 6/10.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Finally saw it. Went in with lowered expectations, and I enjoyed it. The first half is overstuffed because they didn't plan ahead. Not having a blueprint hurt this more than anything else. The cast did a fine job with what they had, though. The acting was much better in all 3 sequels than basically anything in the prequel trilogy that didn't come from Ewan McGregor or Liam Neeson. And if Natalie Portman and Hayden Christiansen had an ounce of the screen chemistry Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver had, Attack of the Clones might have been bearable. I'd put this between Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith, closer to RotS's level. It's definitely better than either The Phantom Menace or AotC. It might be a better Star Wars movie than The Last Jedi, but definitely NOT a better movie. 6/10.

This is pretty close to how I feel about it. Like, I think the major plot points are good, I think pretty much all the performances were good, I think it was funny and there's some good action and adventure in there, somehow there's just something missing. It feels both forced and rushed at the same time. Rey's arc in a vacuum is probably the only purely satisfying part of this movie to me. Kylo's too, I suppose.

I'm not one of those jackoffs who will go out and actively campaign against it or tell people they're idiots if they love it or if it's their favorite of the saga. I just don't think I'll ever feel the connection to it that I do to TLJ or even TFA. It's better than RoTS but I don't know if I'd put it above Solo as far as pure enjoyability. And I'll always wonder what Rian Johnson's version would have looked like because IMO TLJ goes down as the obvious best of series and probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the saga.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I would have preferred they do the 3 moves in 9 years instead of 6 and let one filmmaker have a singular artistic vision. The jarring contrast between the two slices of bread and the meat pretty well ruined the whole experience for me.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

• Oh no, angry millennial. Leaving mom's basement once in a while has consequences. As I said earlier, the prequel trilogy has at least half a dozen epic scenes that NOTHING in the new trilogy can match. If you think the new trilogy has epic scenes on par with the best from the prequel trilogy, you're blinded by the dark side and don't know what the **** you're talking about and that's the end of it.

Merry Life Day.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Hawkstorian wrote:I would have preferred they do the 3 moves in 9 years instead of 6 and let one filmmaker have a singular artistic vision. The jarring contrast between the two slices of bread and the meat pretty well ruined the whole experience for me.

This...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Oh no, angry millennial. Leaving mom's basement once in a while has consequences. As I said earlier, the prequel trilogy has at least half a dozen epic scenes that NOTHING in the new trilogy can match. If you think the new trilogy has epic scenes on par with the best from the prequel trilogy, you're blinded by the dark side and don't know what the **** you're talking about and that's the end of it.

Merry Life Day.

I don't remember anything from the prequel 3 that I thought was epic, outside the pod race. What scenes are you thinking?

Maybe it was the distraction of the very poor writing and acting, as well as the ridiculous cgi.

They aren't nearly as bad as people think, but they are 8, 9, 10 in terms of how they rank with other Star Wars movies, for me.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Oh no, angry millennial. Leaving mom's basement once in a while has consequences. As I said earlier, the prequel trilogy has at least half a dozen epic scenes that NOTHING in the new trilogy can match. If you think the new trilogy has epic scenes on par with the best from the prequel trilogy, you're blinded by the dark side and don't know what the **** you're talking about and that's the end of it.

Merry Life Day.

I don't remember anything from the prequel 3 that I thought was epic, outside the pod race. What scenes are you thinking?

Maybe it was the distraction of the very poor writing and acting, as well as the ridiculous cgi.

They aren't nearly as bad as people think, but they are 8, 9, 10 in terms of how they rank with other Star Wars movies, for me.

I thought the lightsaber battle between Kenobi/Jinn/Maul backed by Duel of the Fates was pretty damn epic. I thought it was by far the best part of the prequels and maybe even the entire series. And this is coming from someone who grew up with the original trilogy, not the prequels.
    Last edited by Seanhawk on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Oh no, angry millennial. Leaving mom's basement once in a while has consequences. As I said earlier, the prequel trilogy has at least half a dozen epic scenes that NOTHING in the new trilogy can match. If you think the new trilogy has epic scenes on par with the best from the prequel trilogy, you're blinded by the dark side and don't know what the **** you're talking about and that's the end of it.

Merry Life Day.

I thought the lightsaber battle between Kenobi/Jinn/Maul backed by Duel of the Fates was pretty damn epic. I thought it was by far the best part of the prequels and maybe even the entire series.

That's a great call... terrific scene.

Darth Maul deserved a longer run in the movies.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

Merry Life Day.

I thought the lightsaber battle between Kenobi/Jinn/Maul backed by Duel of the Fates was pretty damn epic. I thought it was by far the best part of the prequels and maybe even the entire series.

That's a great call... terrific scene.

Yeah I remember them saying so after the fact as well, the screen time that Jar Jar had could have been much better used on him.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• RolandDeschain wrote:Oh no, angry millennial. Leaving mom's basement once in a while has consequences. As I said earlier, the prequel trilogy has at least half a dozen epic scenes that NOTHING in the new trilogy can match. If you think the new trilogy has epic scenes on par with the best from the prequel trilogy, you're blinded by the dark side and don't know what the **** you're talking about and that's the end of it.

Merry Life Day.

Oh, look, Roland knows better that everyone again. It's a joke. Get over yourself.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Just got out of my 5th watch. I'm warming up to some of the things I've been struggling with. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with the final scene between Rey & Ben but most of the McGuffin-ish stuff I'm ok with.

Make no mistake, I harbor no illusions of this being a great movie or any kind of masterpiece of cinema or anything like that; it is victim to many of the same flaws and shortcomings that a lot of big budget Hollywood movies are where action and visuals are more important than structure or storytelling. It's cohesive, if not altogether competent and occasionally, detrimentally, self-unaware.

But overall this film and this trilogy as a whole are enjoyable and fun, and far superior to what we got with the prequels in virtually all categories (yes, even the vague and subjective "epic moments" column [thanks mostly to TLJ, I might add]) and for that I will be forever grateful.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I think the split on the trilogies come down to this:
    The prequels were absolute crap movies that fit into a narrative, made sense, and advanced the broader story.

The sequel trilogy (save for TLJ, which was just garbage all around) were enjoyable movies to watch that served no purpose whatsoever from a broader story perspective, advanced nothing, and we're 100% unnecessary to make.

Depending on what you go to the movies for, and specifically Star Wars movies, will determine your view on the sequel trilogy.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Uncle Si wrote:That's a great call... terrific scene.

I listed like half a dozen epic scenes from the prequel trilogy earlier in this thread, including the aforementioned Duel of the Fates scene. You should go read the list.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Maulbert wrote:

Merry Life Day.

Oh, look, Roland knows better that everyone again. It's a joke. Get over yourself.

I'm just better at being objective than the average person. Continue your hatred.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Merry Life Day.

I'm just better at being objective than the average person. Continue your hatred.

:rofl:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote: :rofl:

Yeah, I knew you'd get a "superior" giggle out of that. So, you've seen it five times - pray tell, can you explain how all the decisions in Episode IX are brilliant now that you've had ample time to think about it for dozens of hours and try to create obscure, ridiculous points to justify all the stupidity in it?

If this film was exactly the same, but released as an independent generic sci-fi film not called Star Wars and with names of characters, places, and things changed to make it not be in the Star Wars universe, you'd tear it to shreds.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Suppose you skipped over everything I've had to say about it so far, yeah? Whatever fits your narrative.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Besides, I'm not laughing at your opinion of the movie, which is valid despite you being unwilling to give others the same respect, but at your ridiculous proclamation of being more objective than other people. Which is one of the biggest lumps of horse sh*t that I've ever read on this site or any other.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Besides, I'm not laughing at your opinion of the movie, which is valid despite you being unwilling to give others the same respect, but at your ridiculous proclamation of being more objective than other people. Which is one of the biggest lumps of horse sh*t that I've ever read on this site or any other.

I've read everything you've said, and it doesn't answer my question. Also, I merely said more objective than the AVERAGE person. If you take 100,000 people, my statement was that I'm merely above the 50,000 mark in them. You obviously interpreted it as me being more objective than everybody...no surprise, since some people perceive what they want to perceive more than others.

Here's an accurate synonym for Episode IX being considered a very good or great film in a completely different subject. Let's say Gordon Ramsay opens another restaurant, and I go there and rate it a 9.5 out of 10; but in reality, his new restaurant is a money grab using average ingredients, with average chefs, and it's only a step above Olive Garden...but I let myself be deceived by the reputation, build-up, etc. of everything going into it, so it literally colored my experience and I liked it better than I should have, and rated it more highly than I should have because of it.

That is a common human phenomenon and it happens to varying degrees with everything. It's why people literally rate wines more highly if they are told they are more expensive.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• You didn't really ask a question though. I mean, you used a question mark, but all the words before it were made up horse sh*t. So ask a better question if you want a legit answer. Which you don't.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Besides, I'm not laughing at your opinion of the movie, which is valid despite you being unwilling to give others the same respect, but at your ridiculous proclamation of being more objective than other people. Which is one of the biggest lumps of horse sh*t that I've ever read on this site or any other.

I've read everything you've said, and it doesn't answer my question. Also, I merely said more objective than the AVERAGE person. If you take 100,000 people, my statement was that I'm merely above the 50,000 mark in them. You obviously interpreted it as me being more objective than everybody...no surprise, since some people perceive what they want to perceive more than others.

Here's an accurate synonym for Episode IX being considered a very good or great film in a completely different subject. Let's say Gordon Ramsay opens another restaurant, and I go there and rate it a 9.5 out of 10; but in reality, his new restaurant is a money grab using average ingredients, with average chefs, and it's only a step above Olive Garden...but I let myself be deceived by the reputation, build-up, etc. of everything going into it, so it literally colored my experience and I liked it better than I should have, and rated it more highly than I should have because of it.

That is a common human phenomenon and it happens to varying degrees with everything. It's why people literally rate wines more highly if they are told they are more expensive.

Haha wat
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:You didn't really ask a question though. I mean, you used a question mark, but all the words before it were made up horse sh*t. So ask a better question if you want a legit answer. Which you don't.

Perhaps you missed my questions from opening night, for starters?

RolandDeschain wrote:No defenses on the radio tower? Only one star destroyer releasing TIE fighters? Palpatine not learning a single lesson from his previous downfall and having it happen the exact same way again? John Boyega somehow managing to over-act more than he did in either Episodes VII or VIII? Cool, I guess teleportation of objects is just like easy mode bro anyone can do it?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Haha wat

You don't even understand the point in my comparison, apparently?...Ok. I guess I'm not surprised.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• You're tilting at windmills, kiddo. But hey, do you.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:You're tilting at windmills, kiddo. But hey, do you.

Ok, dad. I bow to your infallible wisdom. I'll go back to my hole now.

P.S., on a completely unrelated note, tell your peasant-ass airport in Portland to have a 24/7 TSA Pre-check line.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Stay on topic.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Stay on topic.

*Massages some ego*

Yes, master.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I have duties now.

Back on topic, did anybody think Keri Russell as Zorri Bliss sounded exactly like Karen Gillan as Nebula in Guardians/Avengers? "Wanna go with me?" Sh*t made me cringe.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Or is it too much to actually discuss what happened in the movie?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Or is it too much to actually discuss what happened in the movie?

You said I didn't really ask anything, so I pointed out the several questions I posed from opening night and I'm still waiting on answers on those plot points, so...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Or is it too much to actually discuss what happened in the movie?

You said I didn't really ask anything, so I pointed out the several questions I posed from opening night and I'm still waiting on answers on those plot points, so...

All your rhetorical questions that nobody was interested in countering? Yeah, holler when you're interested in an actual discussion.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Besides, I'm not laughing at your opinion of the movie, which is valid despite you being unwilling to give others the same respect, but at your ridiculous proclamation of being more objective than other people. Which is one of the biggest lumps of horse sh*t that I've ever read on this site or any other.

:rofl:

Speaking of self awareness. :lol:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Roland has been good for me IRL since I joined .net. Seeing his pomposity in full bloom here has seriously made me question how I deal with other people, and I've become much happier since I quit trying to prove I'm right to others whose opinions mean nothing to me.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Roland has been good for me IRL since I joined .net. Seeing his pomposity in full bloom here has seriously made me question how I deal with other people, and I've become much happier since I quit trying to prove I'm right to others whose opinions mean nothing to me.

But he knows what's best for all of us.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Stay on topic.

I'm so disappointed in you Zeb. You had a perfect opportunity to break out a "stay on target" quote and you totally whiffed. :34853_doh:
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Stay on topic.

I'm so disappointed in you Zeb. You had a perfect opportunity to break out a "stay on target" quote and you totally whiffed. :34853_doh:

I think it still works if you say it in that voice. :mrgreen:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• You two are like a couple of 90+ year old sisters sitting in the old farts home arguing about boy from 80 years ago.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

• Hawkstorian wrote:You two are like a couple of 90+ year old sisters sitting in the old farts home arguing about boy from 80 years ago.

Solid contribution.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Hawkstorian wrote:You two are like a couple of 90+ year old sisters sitting in the old farts home arguing about boy from 80 years ago.

Still waiting for the closing zinger though, one saying she got laid in the back seat of that Studebaker by him only to have the other say but he laid me in the Hayloft.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:You two are like a couple of 90+ year old sisters sitting in the old farts home arguing about boy from 80 years ago.

Still waiting for the closing zinger though, one saying she got laid in the back seat of that Studebaker by him only to have the other say but he laid me in the Hayloft.

You slept with Chook Chutney.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:You two are like a couple of 90+ year old sisters sitting in the old farts home arguing about boy from 80 years ago.

There was a time I didn't even get names some nights, or maybe remember them, it was the 70's and 80's.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

There was a time I didn't even get names some nights, or maybe remember them, it was the 70's and 80's.

Ok player!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information