Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why Spelling Matters

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Why Spelling Matters
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am
  • https://www.pcgamer.com/all-this-time-a ... ngle-typo/

That one typo cost the game developer almost certainly millions of dollars in sales. The biggest issue at launch with this game, by far, was the stupid AI. I bought it upon release because I'm a sucker for the Alien franchise and I love horror films and horror games, and it was very annoying.

Misspelling the word "tether" made a huge impact on the game itself. If you treat your day-to-day grammar and spelling as a casual "who gives a crap" thing, then it also bleeds over into your work - which for software developers, is a very bad thing.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Re: Why Spelling Matters
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:15 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:https://www.pcgamer.com/all-this-time-aliens-colonial-marines-stupid-ai-may-have-been-caused-by-a-single-typo/

That one typo cost the game developer almost certainly millions of dollars in sales. The biggest issue at launch with this game, by far, was the stupid AI. I bought it upon release because I'm a sucker for the Alien franchise and I love horror films and horror games, and it was very annoying.

Misspelling the word "tether" made a huge impact on the game itself. If you treat your day-to-day grammar and spelling as a casual "who gives a crap" thing, then it also bleeds over into your work - which for software developers, is a very bad thing.

That and as a journalist, it begs to wonder if what they are reporting on is factual or full of it. Includes books too, I see a lot of errors in the sci-fi/fantasy. Some is Poetic license, and that I do understand.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:11 pm
  • Why spelling matters, example 2(from 2 years ago)

RUSSELL WILSON RESIGNS!
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:12 pm
  • It's why I was never good at programming. It's like trying to teach calculus to a toddler. :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:56 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:https://www.pcgamer.com/all-this-time-aliens-colonial-marines-stupid-ai-may-have-been-caused-by-a-single-typo/

It also leads to huge misunderstandings in forum communications.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm
  • Hysterical.

Also note that Bethesda is going after HBO in court for the network stealing stuff from Fallout for Westworld.

Anyone who's played Fallout 4 and then watched Westworld, will note that the creation of the hosts in Westworld is directly borrowed from the creation of the synths in the Institute in FO4... man, they even use the same base model.

But what really got HBO into hot water, is when they launched a mobile Westworld game completely ripped off from Bethesda's mobile Fallout Shelter game.

They copied the game in such detail that they actually migrated the thing that Bethesda is famous for, bugs!

When they directly copied the code, they got the same exact bugs in the Westworld game that exist in the Fallout Shelter game. Ha ha ha!

HBO is going to have a hard time explaining that one. ;)
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Hysterical.

Also note that Bethesda is going after HBO in court for the network stealing stuff from Fallout for Westworld.

Anyone who's played Fallout 4 and then watched Westworld, will note that the creation of the hosts in Westworld is directly borrowed from the creation of the synths in the Institute in FO4... man, they even use the same base model.

But what really got HBO into hot water, is when they launched a mobile Westworld game completely ripped off from Bethesda's mobile Fallout Shelter game.

They copied the game in such detail that they actually migrated the thing that Bethesda is famous for, bugs!

When they directly copied the code, they got the same exact bugs in the Westworld game that exist in the Fallout Shelter game. Ha ha ha!

HBO is going to have a hard time explaining that one. ;)

This made my day. That was some awesome reading there. Copyright and Copywrong too. LMAO
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm
  • “Let’s eat Grandma!”

“Let’s eat, Grandma!”

Commas matter as well. [emoji6]
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information