Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Disney Fired James Gunn.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:34 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Again, I support his reinstatement. But not for “everyone makes jokes like this but not anything like this”

You're being too literal.

It's about being inappropriate, and even crass and disgusting.....................and EVERY dude has been that, and hell most of us still are with our trusted friends.

You're fixating on the pedophilia part of Gunn's tweets, and we're just making a general statement that and like Jeffries stated in his monologue, Gunn didn't actually commit the act of pedophilia, he just made a very unfunny joke.

So where do you draw the line Si in order to absolve yourself from being lumped in with Gunn's type of humor, if that's the line you're trying to draw to show us you're not part of this general statement?

Race? Sexuality? Criminal? Sexism? Cause if I made every one of us take a lie detector test on who's made inappropriate comments or jokes as adults? Every damn one of us would fail if we said no.

This has nothing to do with me. My lord. I don't understand, honestly, how the point keeps getting missed. Yeah, i've made gross jokes. Would be naive to think that my sense of humor would not be offensive to people though. Gunns tweets, to be clear, are not offensive to me. Suggesting people shouldnt be "because we all make jokes like that" is a flimsy, assumptive premise. I do like how trying to point that out leads to misogynist jokes at me though. True to form.

And again, I would challenge the notion that every guy says they'd like to stick their fist up a boys backside (referring to that boy as something vulgar as well) after watching a movie. Some (alot) of his tweets (he deleted 10000 tweets) are dumb. Others, are graphic and specifically designed to draw a shocked reaction. Enough of them, taken without context (as they were delivered, and were his purpose) would make you believe you were reading the tweets of a dangerous individual.

And even if that's your humor (fine, i really dont care, its not about what I find offensive) you'd be hesitant to start posting that information on Twitter for public consumption, which he did. If one of his friends came out and said "man, I knew Gunn back in the day and that guy was filthy. he used to say the grossest jokes" this would be a non story. But it wasn't that. It was something he shared, on purpose, to provoke a reaction.

And that's my issue with all this, even though I once again say I'd personally absolve Gunn since he owned it. People in this thread, and now you, are attempting to rationalize other's disgust with it by drawing unequal parallels. That's literally what's happening. So literal is the position to be here.

rape and pedo jokes on a public forum with very descriptive and vulgar acts devised by the author's admission to draw attention and shock complete strangers is not the same thing as making off hand remarks amongst your friends or on a playground. The jokes, their content and the forum are not the same. That's why it drew attention. That's why Disney fired him. There's no ambiguous connection between a. stuff i say with friends in the backyard and b. stuff i tweet out for randoms to read. That difference is specific and literal.

Would you email your friends at work about fisting a child while watching the Expendables last night? Come on..Being upset with that decision "because if we had to take a lie detector test" draws a very thin connection to what Gunn did. Would you make racist jokes at a work meeting? would you make fun of a handicap person while sitting at a seahawks game surrounded by complete strangers loud enough for them to hear you?

And again, is no connection to how Gunn reacted.

Yeah, people are hypocrites. Yeah, people overreact. That's not some breaking news Roland is kind enough to alert us to.

It's not as simple as saying "hey, thats unfair. we all make lewd comments" either.
    I've already said his apology was enough for me. It not being enough for others is understandable. That's my point. you guys can continue to explore more ways to distract from it or focus on orifices or whatever.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 am
  • ^ Holy moral high ground, Batman.

Sgt. Largent wrote:You're being too literal.

It's about being inappropriate, and even crass and disgusting.....................and EVERY dude has been that, and hell most of us still are with our trusted friends.

You're fixating on the pedophilia part of Gunn's tweets, and we're just making a general statement that and like Jeffries stated in his monologue, Gunn didn't actually commit the act of pedophilia, he just made a very unfunny joke.

So where do you draw the line Si in order to absolve yourself from being lumped in with Gunn's type of humor, if that's the line you're trying to draw to show us you're not part of this general statement?

Race? Sexuality? Criminal? Sexism? Cause if I made every one of us take a lie detector test on who's made inappropriate comments or jokes as adults? Every damn one of us would fail if we said no.

Except Si...apparently.

*puts on world's most skeptical facial expression*
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:52 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:You're being too literal.

Except Si...apparently.

*puts on world's most skeptical facial expression*

You've missed the point entirely

"puts on world's most pretend to be shocked facial expression"

(also going to point out that i've spent the better part of 3 days on a football forum arguing whether tweets from a comic book movie director should have got him fired from directing another comic book movie. i may need a rethink)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 am
  • If it makes you feel better to believe that I'm dense and just don't understand, then by all means; enjoy yourself.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:58 am
  • Wonder what Si would think of Richard Pryor Show, he would get down right nasty. That's was very public, in fact people paid to go see a vulgar, explicit, over the top show. There are others today that do the same thing. but back then you didn't have the social justice police wanting to hang everyone's careers out to dry.

I am saying there are some things that are legitimate, there are others that are just dumb immature and in bad taste people do that harm nobody but maybe their own credibility. Gunn worked hard to change that and re establish himself as a artist that is really good at films.

That should be acknowledged, non of us are who we were 20 years ago, most of us would change many things done and said from our time there as well.

Disney over reacting to something that was not associated with who he is now is just dumb and knee jerk, Si has it right in that he even took responsibility and gave his explanation.

The bright side for Gunn is that DC should grab him ASAP they need some real help there.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Wonder what Si would think of Richard Pryor Show, he would get down right nasty. That's was very public, in fact people paid to go see a vulgar, explicit, over the top show. There are others today that do the same thing. but back then you didn't have the social justice police wanting to hang everyone's careers out to dry.

I am saying there are some things that are legitimate, there are others that are just dumb immature and in bad taste people do that harm nobody but maybe their own credibility. Gunn worked hard to change that and re establish himself as a artist that is really good at films.

That should be acknowledged, non of us are who we were 20 years ago, most of us would change many things done and said from our time there as well.

Disney over reacting to something that was not associated with who he is now is just dumb and knee jerk, Si has it right in that he even took responsibility and gave his explanation.

The bright side for Gunn is that DC should grab him ASAP they need some real help there.

Again, I don't have a problem with what he tweeted.

That may sink in if i post enough
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:If it makes you feel better to believe that I'm dense and just don't understand, then by all means; enjoy yourself.

Is this the high road?

I don't think you're dense. But i wonder how you can continually miss my point, and then react by suggesting I need "tampons for my bleeding orifices" (because I assume you think i'm a menstruating woman?). I'm starting to wonder.

Is that enjoyable for you?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Wonder what Si would think of Richard Pryor Show, he would get down right nasty. That's was very public, in fact people paid to go see a vulgar, explicit, over the top show. There are others today that do the same thing. but back then you didn't have the social justice police wanting to hang everyone's careers out to dry.

Again, I don't have a problem with what he tweeted.

That may sink in if i post enough

I saw all 82 times you said this, but you seem to want to make sure to we understand that you're not part of our disgusting inappropriate club every time it's brought up, like there's a line Gunn crossed.

So I'm just trying to nail down exactly what your line is.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am
  • Fine... 82 times is a lot. If you think his tweets are perfectly normal banter for an adult on social media then we are just at a disagreement. you guys win.

I said his tweets were disgusting and crossed a line. Which (I said) he intended to do. He admitted this. Has nothing to do with what I think. It's that he went to cross a line. He is now paying the cost of that. People getting mad because others got mad at his tweets that were meant to make people mad seems like a deep dive to the bottom of the sinkhole. That's my line. People that are pissed about this have a right, as that's what he was intending when he posted the shit to begin with.

Do I think it's fair he was fired? Not really, not now. He explained himself and seemed genuine. Enough for me. But I don't run Disney. Other people think it was too far. I don't think that's unreasonable.

His commentary and where he posted it were meant to be offensive. Defending him on the premise that everyone is offensive isn't representative of how offensive Gunn was trying to be. Does your "club" operate to be publically shocking, taboo and offensive? If not, then piss off with the "our club" nonsense. It's not the same. And I don't care. You can make racist molestation jokes involving handicap people if you want buddy. I won't judge. I might laugh. But is your club going to start posting it on facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Do I make jokes about plowing little boys in the ass? no man, i dont. Does your club? Equating inferences about windowless vans or price gouging is not the same.

So yeah, people read it and got pissed. Seems logical to me, even if I didnt care.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm
  • It is more about morals and values in this world. In the wake of Me Too and Times' up movement. And really despite years over on those tweets. It is about PR nightmares. Trying to be correct.
    October Skies!!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 pm
  • I've never told an inappropriate joke in my life.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:59 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never told an inappropriate joke in my life.

I wish I was that perfect.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never told an inappropriate joke in my life.

I wish I was that perfect.

It's less about that, really.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:47 pm
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 pm
  • Maybe this will teach people to make better jokes.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:26 pm
  • Marvel is apparently going to bat for James Gunn. Interesting.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/james-gunn ... 202443199/
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:02 am
  • LargentFan wrote:
    The_Z_Man wrote:Society is spiraling out of control at this point.

I think it's lame that he got fired, but come on...this statement is a tad hyperbolic...

We are barreling towards an “ election by Facebook like “ system. The future is frightening.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:People say and do dumb stuff when they are drunk, but some of his Tweets were disturbing. He doesn't need to be around children.

Where did you read them? I’d like to read them for myself. Hollyweird is chocked full of rapists, murderes, drug addicts, pedofiles, narcissists, bipolar manic depressives, etc. I don’t look to them for advice on how to live my life. They are carny folk.... entertainment. I do understand though that this is Disney and if he is actually a danger to children they cannot be associated. I just finished watching Avengers infinity war though and it’s easy to pick out his contributions to the film because they some of the most entertaining parts of it.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:People say and do dumb stuff when they are drunk, but some of his Tweets were disturbing. He doesn't need to be around children.

Where did you read them? I’d like to read them for myself. Hollyweird is chocked full of rapists, murderes, drug addicts, pedofiles, narcissists, bipolar manic depressives, etc. I don’t look to them for advice on how to live my life. They are carny folk.... entertainment. I do understand though that this is Disney and if he is actually a danger to children they cannot be associated. I just finished watching Avengers infinity war though and it’s easy to pick out his contributions to the film because they some of the most entertaining parts of it.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/OwXFPiyqEmqWU1MbWwyuKLdk1kA=/0x0:1024x590/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1024x590):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/11721855/DiiVF4kXUAAJLWr.jpg

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Disney Fired James Gunn.
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:10 am
  • I appreciate the link but apparently it can’t display on safari. Hopefully I’ll have time to attempt from desk top tomorrow. Thanks though.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 pm
  • Well a lot of the actors and staffers I heard do not agree with this decision. Fans are wondering if the 3rd and finale will be great? That is the question there.
    October Skies!!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 am
  • Passepartout wrote:Well a lot of the actors and staffers I heard do not agree with this decision. Fans are wondering if the 3rd and finale will be great? That is the question there.

Staffers don't matter, they aren't irreplaceable enough to cause Disney to even blink about firing him. The only actor that has threatened to quit is Dave Bautista, but even he backed off that threat because that's a good way to kill your career. Most speculation is no one else in the films is even willing to go that far. Their petition made no threat of quitting. Disney did put the film on hiatus while they look for a new director. My gut says Vol. 3 will still happen, GotG is too valuable as a property to kill it, and there's no way the actors will sabotage the film, they want to stay employed and there's no way SAG would tolerate that.

Besides, the thing I find the funniest about this whole thing is that James Gunn hasn't fought a thing about it, he defended himself in terms of saying he was a changed man, but understood why Disney fired him and accepted that judgement with much more grace than a lot of people have. He also seems to have landed on his feet, as the rumor is he is sitting on more job offers than ever before.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am
  • Waiting for him to go to the DC side and make a block buster. Best way to sate your case is money, payback would be harsh if Disney was to let him go and have him make a movie that was a 1 billion dollar property.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:29 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Waiting for him to go to the DC side and make a block buster. Best way to sate your case is money, payback would be harsh if Disney was to let him go and have him make a movie that was a 1 billion dollar property.

I'd laugh my ass off if he went to DC and took charge, and made them actually competitive with Marvel. Absolutely hilarious.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 am
  • I don't mind that they fired Gunn, because GOTG sucks. But it's a stupid reason to fire him. So what if somebody has a twisted sense of humor. Don't read his tweets. Problem solved. Society is so stupid.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:03 am
  • Warner Brothers has hired James Gunn to write the script for, and possibly direct, Suicide Squad 2.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information