Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Disney Fired James Gunn.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:24 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So making handicapped jokes could get me fired now from when I was a teenager, what do you call a quadriplegic at the front door, Matt for instance. There are hundreds of those quick quips that people made all the time I heard and more about orientation and race. I guess I should turn all those people in for making jokes so they can lose their jobs also, doesn't matter if it was 45 years ago or not.



    People change and grow out of their environment and change their perspective as they age and experience life. Those that can't usually are the extreme zealots that your don't want around because of a closed mind and those you don't invite anywhere because they just want a platform to rage against whatever topic they have a hard on for.



    On point!
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1982
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:32 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:I do agree with his firing, there is no question about that. Explain to me where I never said I didn't. For the record did get off easy, he needs counseling, that shit isn't healthy.

    Um. You literally just said (well, you used a double negative, but I'm assuming you didn't mean to) that you agreed on his firing, yet you're also saying you apparently don't think people should be laid off for non-PC jokes? Are you considering the pedo jokes to not be part of a general non-PC joke category? You're contradicting yourself.

    2_0_6 wrote:An extra $1200 in two days after taxes isn't a bad thing.


    The real dough is with the crane operators. $250 per hour, work 4 hours get aid for 8 is a great gig. Like one giant video game


    Well.......can't say I agree with that crap. Either of those items. I'm not a fan of unions for myriad reasons, though they were a great thing that was needed to keep big corporations in line for a long time; but that time has passed.

    Automation's already taking away a lot of port jobs in other parts of the world (Rotterdam being the biggest example I'm aware of), and the tactics unions around America have used to prevent moving to modern technology in some cases are despicable.

    Anyhoo, we're starting to get rather off-topic here now, lol. I hope Gunn gets to come back in the future for something in the MCU, because I like what he did with GotG.

    Roman Polanski was still allowed to make some great films after his pedophilia issue became well known. Jimmy Page literally abducted and raped a 14-year-old girl from a club he was at around the same time Led Zeppelin IV (with Stairway to Heaven as one of its tracks) came out. Think they should have kicked him out of Led Zeppelin for it? Did you protest it by not buying anything of theirs or seeing any concerts of theirs after that happened in 1972?

    Eric Clapton is ridiculously racist. Johnny Cash went on record as saying he's glad that he started a California wildfire through sheer carelessness that nearly wiped out the remaining number of an endangered species of condor; he was so unrepentant when the state of California successfully sued him about it, he said "I don’t care about your damn yellow buzzards."

    The list of things that celebrities have gotten away with is ridiculously long, and largely unknown by most people...yet a couple of juvenile jokes on Twitter warrants someone getting fired? Ok.

    Meantime, let's keep giving money to all the people I just mentioned because they did their crap before people got so easily outraged and offended at anything and everything.

    Zebulon Dak wrote:Don't worry bro, Roland knows what you think and how you feel before you even say it and despite what you do say. Also, whatever you're talking about, Roland knows more about it than you do. These are just universal .NET truths.

    Yeah, among other truths such as certain .NET members not being able to handle specious arguments being pointed out and brought into the light of day, among other things. BTW, have you given Episode IX a 9.5/10 IMDB rating yet? We all know it'll be deserving of it just like Episodes VII and VIII were, so you better get on that before it hits theaters if you consider yourself a real Star Wars fan. ;)





    This thread is not about your dislike for unions, but thanks for your input. Automation is taking jobs from numerous occupations, not just strictly the Long shore dock, but thanks for your input. :irishdrinkers:
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2838
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:09 am
  • Just to get this back on point...https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-cast-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy-release-an-open-let-1827971877

    also, not sure how what other people get away with somehow admonishes another. The correct perspective would be holding those others more accountable, not other's less.

    Either way, sounds like the cast are in support of his return.

    I wavered on this initially. But I think he's getting a raw deal.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Just to get this back on point...https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-cast-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy-release-an-open-let-1827971877

    also, not sure how what other people get away with somehow admonishes another. The correct perspective would be holding those others more accountable, not other's less.

    Either way, sounds like the cast are in support of his return.

    I wavered on this initially. But I think he's getting a raw deal.


    I'm all for holding people accountable for their actions, but maybe giving them a pass for comments or behavior that is out of the ordinary for their character.

    Gunn IMO falls into the 2nd category for me. Like I said above, I'd rather live in a world where we can see that Gunn is a good person, and made some really stupid comments about an unfunny topic, and give him the benefit of the doubt as that not being indicative of who he is as a person now.

    Gunn has been nothing but a model citizen and has enriched a lot of our lives through his writing and movies now. So why are we going insane over something he said 7-8 years ago?

    I've said a lot of stupid things, hell I still say stupid things. But I'd hate for those things to haunt me for the rest of my life and pigeon hole me as a pariah and bad person when all my actions clearly show that I'm a good person.

    I just don't like the social justice butthurt GOTCHA burn everyone at the stake world we live in. That's not a good way for us to live as a society.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Just to get this back on point...https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-cast-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy-release-an-open-let-1827971877

    also, not sure how what other people get away with somehow admonishes another. The correct perspective would be holding those others more accountable, not other's less.

    Either way, sounds like the cast are in support of his return.

    I wavered on this initially. But I think he's getting a raw deal.


    I'm all for holding people accountable for their actions, but maybe giving them a pass for comments or behavior that is out of the ordinary for their character.

    Gunn IMO falls into the 2nd category for me. Like I said above, I'd rather live in a world where we can see that Gunn is a good person, and made some really stupid comments about an unfunny topic, and give him the benefit of the doubt as that not being indicative of who he is as a person now.

    Gunn has been nothing but a model citizen and has enriched a lot of our lives through his writing and movies now. So why are we going insane over something he said 7-8 years ago?

    I've said a lot of stupid things, hell I still say stupid things. But I'd hate for those things to haunt me for the rest of my life and pigeon hole me as a pariah and bad person when all my actions clearly show that I'm a good person.

    I just don't like the social justice butthurt GOTCHA burn everyone at the stake world we live in. That's not a good way for us to live as a society.


    My comments were not about Gunn. It was about posters above using other famous people's transgressions as a means of defending Gunn.

    His comments were absurd and I can see why Disney would be put off. But, my "pass" for Gunn on this is that he has owned it.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am
  • Let's not forget the fact that like 99% of all people have said crap like this (or things considered 'as bad' in other ways not related to kids/pedo) on the playground at school when they were kids; which makes virtually everyone that agrees with his firing a hypocrite, unless they're going to actually agree with the equivalent punishment for them which would be having gotten expelled from school over it.

    Yes, James Gunn was an adult when he said that stuff, but this whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Let's not forget the fact that like 99% of all people have said crap like this (or things considered 'as bad' in other ways not related to kids/pedo) on the playground at school when they were kids; which makes virtually everyone that agrees with his firing a hypocrite, unless they're going to actually agree with the equivalent punishment for them which would be having gotten expelled from school over it.

    Yes, James Gunn was an adult when he said that stuff, but this whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.


    Sorry Roland, this is garbage. In what world does being someone in a high-value, high-visibility job where you're expected to maintain and present yourself in a professional manner the same as being kids on a playground?

    The straw-man arguments in this thread comparing Gunn, or any other Marvel/Disney director, or any other job like being the CEO of a large company to 1) kids on a playground 2) longshoremen 3) teenagers 4) general laborers are laughable at best. You guys aren't even using some of these comparisons in the proper context.

    When 206 says (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've worked with laborers and longshoremen for years and not even they have the gall to say those things," it's not saying they should be held to the same standard. It's admitting there's a different standard and even when these guys aren't in the lime light and have far less to lose, they'd rather not joke about these things. On the grand scale, no one gives a rip what a shipyard worker is going to say on a random Tuesday when he's joking with coworkers.

    If you're going to compare him to someone, compare him to someone like Rosanne Barr or someone who's public profiles and personas actually matter and have been affected by this type of blowback, not this "hurr durr I work in IT and I said way worse back in 1992, is that going to get me fired?"

    I know you're smarter than this, Roland.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I know you're smarter than this, Roland.

    For that matter, I know you are as well.

    Dude, at the end of the day, this all comes back to one thing - either you think anything can be joked about, or nothing can be joked about. There is no in between, because once you start saying well certain things can be joked about and certain things can't be, then everyone has a different opinion about what's alright to joke about and what's not, and that's why with EACH PASSING YEAR the list of things it's alright to joke about gets smaller, and I disagree with that political BS vehemently. Don't confuse this with the context of WHEN and WHERE it's alright to crack a blue joke, because that's a thing; but this is freaking Twitter, not someone making dead baby jokes while standing in an abortion clinic lobby or on the pulpit of a Christian church in the deep south on a Sunday morning.

    He's a freaking movie director. Let's all pretend those Tweets which existed a decade ago hop in a DeLorean and ruin Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2.

    Now none of us enjoy them because of those Tweets - damn, I'm glad James Gunn got his comeuppance, because it obviously makes A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE FOR WHAT HE DOES FOR HIS JOB!
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Let's not forget the fact that like 99% of all people have said crap like this (or things considered 'as bad' in other ways not related to kids/pedo) on the playground at school when they were kids; which makes virtually everyone that agrees with his firing a hypocrite, unless they're going to actually agree with the equivalent punishment for them which would be having gotten expelled from school over it.

    Yes, James Gunn was an adult when he said that stuff, but this whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.


    Sorry Roland, this is garbage. In what world does being someone in a high-value, high-visibility job where you're expected to maintain and present yourself in a professional manner the same as being kids on a playground?

    The straw-man arguments in this thread comparing Gunn, or any other Marvel/Disney director, or any other job like being the CEO of a large company to 1) kids on a playground 2) longshoremen 3) teenagers 4) general laborers are laughable at best. You guys aren't even using some of these comparisons in the proper context.

    When 206 says (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've worked with laborers and longshoremen for years and not even they have the gall to say those things," it's not saying they should be held to the same standard. It's admitting there's a different standard and even when these guys aren't in the lime light and have far less to lose, they'd rather not joke about these things. On the grand scale, no one gives a rip what a shipyard worker is going to say on a random Tuesday when he's joking with coworkers.

    If you're going to compare him to someone, compare him to someone like Rosanne Barr or someone who's public profiles and personas actually matter and have been affected by this type of blowback, not this "hurr durr I work in IT and I said way worse back in 1992, is that going to get me fired?"

    I know you're smarter than this, Roland.


    It is the same as Rosanne Barr..............the difference is Barr did it WHILE being employed by ABC. Gunn said it while he was an unemployed video game writer 8 years ago.

    This is pure unadulterated brand fear mongering. Disney thinks they have an image to protect, and maybe they do. But again, I'd rather see both ABC and Disney come out in defense of their writers and stars, as opposed to being cowards and running for the hills because they think their precious "brand" is being harmed.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:52 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I know you're smarter than this, Roland.

    For that matter, I know you are as well.

    Dude, at the end of the day, this all comes back to one thing - either you think anything can be joked about, or nothing can be joked about. There is no in between, because once you start saying well certain things can be joked about and certain things can't be, then everyone has a different opinion about what's alright to joke about and what's not, and that's why with EACH PASSING YEAR the list of things it's alright to joke about gets smaller, and I disagree with that political BS vehemently.

    He's a freaking movie director. Let's all pretend those Tweets which existed a decade ago hop in a DeLorean and ruin Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2.

    Now none of us enjoy them because of those Tweets - damn, I'm glad James Gunn got his comeuppance, because it obviously makes A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE FOR WHAT HE DOES FOR HIS JOB!


    I understand what you're saying here. I'm unfortunately in the camp that thinks Disney did the right thing if they feel it could hurt their business. At the end of the day, they're there to be a business and make money, not to be a bastion of free speech and comedy.

    I don't believe for a second that we're at a place where "anything can be joked about, or nothing can be joked about." That's just some zero-tolerance, zero-effort ideology coming into play. Go watch Chappelle's most recent stand-up specials, watch guys like Bill Burr who can toe-the-line and tell jokes about stuff that is, for most people, completely off-limits to joke about in public or in most social settings.

    Comedy, humor, joking is something that depends on the context/situation/environment. That's why James Gunn, who is not a comedian, is under fire for "joking" about stuff that his employer finds inappropriate and no longer has a job. Not some SJW target practice that he got caught up in.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:53 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Let's not forget the fact that like 99% of all people have said crap like this (or things considered 'as bad' in other ways not related to kids/pedo) on the playground at school when they were kids; which makes virtually everyone that agrees with his firing a hypocrite, unless they're going to actually agree with the equivalent punishment for them which would be having gotten expelled from school over it.

    Yes, James Gunn was an adult when he said that stuff, but this whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.


    Sorry Roland, this is garbage. In what world does being someone in a high-value, high-visibility job where you're expected to maintain and present yourself in a professional manner the same as being kids on a playground?

    The straw-man arguments in this thread comparing Gunn, or any other Marvel/Disney director, or any other job like being the CEO of a large company to 1) kids on a playground 2) longshoremen 3) teenagers 4) general laborers are laughable at best. You guys aren't even using some of these comparisons in the proper context.

    When 206 says (and I'm paraphrasing) "I've worked with laborers and longshoremen for years and not even they have the gall to say those things," it's not saying they should be held to the same standard. It's admitting there's a different standard and even when these guys aren't in the lime light and have far less to lose, they'd rather not joke about these things. On the grand scale, no one gives a rip what a shipyard worker is going to say on a random Tuesday when he's joking with coworkers.

    If you're going to compare him to someone, compare him to someone like Rosanne Barr or someone who's public profiles and personas actually matter and have been affected by this type of blowback, not this "hurr durr I work in IT and I said way worse back in 1992, is that going to get me fired?"

    I know you're smarter than this, Roland.


    It is the same as Rosanne Barr..............the difference is Barr did it WHILE being employed by ABC. Gunn said it while he was an unemployed video game writer 8 years ago.

    This is pure unadulterated brand fear mongering. Disney thinks they have an image to protect, and maybe they do. But again, I'd rather see both ABC and Disney come out in defense of their writers and stars, as opposed to being cowards and running for the hills because they think their precious "brand" is being harmed.


    There we go. A comparison and explanation that actually makes sense.

    I agree with you.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 am
  • I already addressed that with my edited post, which isn't in your quote.

    Context of when/where you tell a tasteless joke absolutely does matter, as I said - and the fact that it was on FREAKING TWITTER, an immoral, amoral, and juvenile playground - should not be justification for firing a film director.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I already addressed that with my edited post, which isn't in your quote.

    Context of when/where you tell a tasteless joke absolutely does matter, as I said - and the fact that it was on FREAKING TWITTER, an immoral, amoral, and juvenile playground - should not be justification for firing a film director.


    Unfortunately, Twitter has moved on (for businesses, public personas, etc.) from being just a juvenile playground, to a means or platform of official communication.

    Do I agree with it? No. Is it reality? Yes.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1842
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:22 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Let's not forget the fact that like 99% of all people have said crap like this (or things considered 'as bad' in other ways not related to kids/pedo) on the playground at school when they were kids; which makes virtually everyone that agrees with his firing a hypocrite, unless they're going to actually agree with the equivalent punishment for them which would be having gotten expelled from school over it.

    Yes, James Gunn was an adult when he said that stuff, but this whole thing is so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.



    Probably.

    But it doesn't excuse it. Using the "everyone does it" rationale does your argument no good.

    Gunn atleast owned it instead of taking the line of defense you are, to his credit.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:04 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Gunn atleast owned it instead of taking the line of defense you are, to his credit.


    Unlike Barr who did the fake backhanded apology to Jarrett.............."I'm sorry if YOU thought what I said was racist."

    It's the most insulting weaksauce apology there is.

    But you're right, it's really the act of just being honest, contrite and genuine that the public wants to hear from things like this. Or in sports when athletes get caught doing steroids or whatever. Just be contrite and most people will feel that and forgive you.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm
  • I mean Roland and you are both right.. the moral outrage of these things is typically immediate, ignorant and hypocritical. Some people try to ignore ur knowing it will typically be forgotten tomsome other “scandal.” Gunn tried to address it.

    Will see if it makes a difference.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 pm
  • I'm really just annoyed that so many people think it's right that he was fired over it when virtually all of them have done as bad or worse and suffered lesser, if any, consequences.

    Hypocrisy is ever the most reliable of human traits...
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:02 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm really just annoyed that so many people think it's right that he was fired over it when virtually all of them have done as bad or worse and suffered lesser, if any, consequences.

    Hypocrisy is ever the most reliable of human traits...


    Again, I agree he shouldn't have been fired, but you know precisely jack squat whether anyone on here has done worse or suffered less. You're being just as judgemental as the people who condemned Gunn, but with even less of a leg to stand on.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4507
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Again, I agree he shouldn't have been fired, but you know precisely jack squat whether anyone on here has done worse or suffered less. You're being just as judgemental as the people who condemned Gunn, but with even less of a leg to stand on.

    Ah, yes; let's just assume the best of everyone and assume no one has ever said a bad word without six forms of proof.

    Ok, junior.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:23 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Again, I agree he shouldn't have been fired, but you know precisely jack squat whether anyone on here has done worse or suffered less. You're being just as judgemental as the people who condemned Gunn, but with even less of a leg to stand on.

    Ah, yes; let's just assume the best of everyone and assume no one has ever said a bad word without six forms of proof.

    Ok, junior.


    I didn't say I assumed the best. I didn't assume at all.

    By all means though, keep acting superior. It doesn't make people irrationally hate you at all.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4507
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:25 pm
  • I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:31 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.


    Like I didn't know you think I'm ignorant. I'm quite aware of your inferiority complex. I've never seen someone work so hard to prove they're smarter than everyone else on the internet, and that's saying something.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4507
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:57 pm
  • This has little to do with intelligence, and everything to do with one's willingness to admit reality.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:This has little to do with intelligence, and everything to do with one's willingness to admit reality.


    I didn't assume anything, but as Zeb has stated, the mighty Roland Deschain understands what I mean more than I do. I'm done with this argument, but by all means, assume you won and be sure to mark your chalkboard counting the number of internet victories you've won.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

    The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

    189-152-1
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4507
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:17 pm
  • Ok, bruh.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:23 pm
  • Gunn was unemployed at the time, he was not working for Disney, it was a long time ago, lets dig up the history of the Disney Executives, in fact lets go back and look at some of the Movies and Cartoons they have made. Song of the South anyone. They should be boycotted for being a racist company if they are adhering to their own moral values.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25441
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Gunn was unemployed at the time, he was not working for Disney, it was a long time ago, lets dig up the history of the Disney Executives, in fact lets go back and look at some of the Movies and Cartoons they have made. Song of the South anyone. They should be boycotted for being a racist company if they are adhering to their own moral values.

    Not to mention all the bad things they've done regarding copyright law to keep Mickey Mouse payin' out.

    We'd have to fire every C-suite exec in the country if we held them to the same standards that James Gunn was just held to, lol.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:46 pm
  • It's possible (not saying it's probable) that they were looking for a reason to drop him and this just made it easy.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 16449
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:23 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:It's possible (not saying it's probable) that they were looking for a reason to drop him and this just made it easy.

    That would at least be honest, but since the cast and crew seem to like him and the first two were extremely successful, it's hard to imagine that being the case.

    Obviously possible as you said, though. Hrm...
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 am
  • Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 16449
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:24 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:


    Nailed it.

    This isn't even about the sin, it's about the moral outrage pitchfork let's get them social justice warrior sickness that's taken over our society.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.



    you think the majority of us have made pedophelia and rape jokes?

    jesus... you have a low bar.

    Also, there is a significant difference between conversations with friends and posting something on the internet for public consumption and opinion.

    Disney didnt go and find the tweets, a conservative newsite did (and more than likely as a way of getting back at Gunn for his political views in the last election)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Disney didnt go and find the tweets, a conservative newsite did (and more than likely as a way of getting back at Gunn for his political views in the last election)


    Right, it's not even about the tweets, it's about this idiotic, fake morality war we're now in...........and it's not good for society, we're not evolving, we're devolving.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.



    you think the majority of us have made pedophelia and rape jokes?

    jesus... you have a low bar.

    Has nothing to do with how low my bar might be. Go walk around a grade school playground or eavesdrop on groups of friends in junior high then try to sell me this BS about how few people have made tasteless jokes, lol.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.



    you think the majority of us have made pedophelia and rape jokes?

    jesus... you have a low bar.

    Has nothing to do with how low my bar might be. Go walk around a grade school playground or eavesdrop on groups of friends in junior high then try to sell me this BS about how few people have made tasteless jokes, lol.



    so... these comments on a elementary school playground or at junior high huddle are treated in your perception the same as a grown man putting them on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram for public consumption? Or that "tasteless jokes" are the same as (again) a grown man making rape and pedophelia jokes (again... on Social media).

    that's pretty naive and narrow minded in my opinion.

    If you want to point out the hypocrisy of the human character you're on about it the wrong way.. and honestly it's not that difficult to do.

    (lol... for continuity)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:56 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:so... these comments on a elementary school playground or at junior high huddle are treated in your perception the same as a grown man putting them on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram for public consumption? Or that "tasteless jokes" are the same as (again) a grown man making rape and pedophelia jokes (again... on Social media).

    that's pretty naive and narrow minded in my opinion.

    If you want to point out the hypocrisy of the human character you're on about it the wrong way.. and honestly it's not that difficult to do.

    (lol... for continuity)

    The same? No. However - separated by the Pacific freaking Ocean? Also an absolute no.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 pm
  • So then it's ok if we have a Camel Toe judging contest again I guess since that bar is higher. :P
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25441
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:34 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So then it's ok if we have a Camel Toe judging contest again I guess since that bar is higher. :P


    Image

    I'd give this one about a 7 out of 10. Seems a little sandy, but otherwise not bad.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2731
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:53 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:So then it's ok if we have a Camel Toe judging contest again I guess since that bar is higher. :P


    Image

    I'd give this one about a 7 out of 10. Seems a little sandy, but otherwise not bad.



    Too furry for me.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2838
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:01 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd far rather receive irrational hate than have people assume I'm ignorant enough to believe that most people haven't said something as bad or worse than what James Gunn said at some point in their lives.



    you think the majority of us have made pedophelia and rape jokes?

    jesus... you have a low bar.

    Has nothing to do with how low my bar might be. Go walk around a grade school playground or eavesdrop on groups of friends in junior high then try to sell me this BS about how few people have made tasteless jokes, lol.



    so... these comments on a elementary school playground or at junior high huddle are treated in your perception the same as a grown man putting them on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram for public consumption? Or that "tasteless jokes" are the same as (again) a grown man making rape and pedophelia jokes (again... on Social media).

    that's pretty naive and narrow minded in my opinion.

    If you want to point out the hypocrisy of the human character you're on about it the wrong way.. and honestly it's not that difficult to do.

    (lol... for continuity)


    a smaller ocean then? The Indian? Arctic?

    Because kids are kids.

    Grown adults are, well, far more responsible for their behavior. I think you need to find a different strawman.

    I have not made detailed and crass jokes about pedophilia or rape. As an adult, if i came across another adult who did I'd have concerns about their state of mind.

    Gunn has done more for himself in this than you have for him.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    a smaller ocean then? The Indian? Arctic?

    Because kids are kids.

    Grown adults are, well, far more responsible for their behavior. I think you need to find a different strawman.

    I have not made detailed and crass jokes about pedophilia or rape. As an adult, if i came across another adult who did I'd have concerns about their state of mind.

    Gunn has done more for himself in this than you have for him.

    1) You should look up with a straw man argument actually is.
    2) "Detailed" and crass jokes? How the hell does one get detailed on Twitter; it has a 140-character limit, are you kidding?
    3) Continue living on your pedestal, I'm sure the view is nice.
    4) I still don't believe you about not having made jokes like that. What, you've never made - or agreed with by laughing at - a surprise sex joke by someone your entire adult life, or seen an outrageous price on something and made a crack about how the company's raping people by charging that much? Sorry, don't buy it. Claim it if you want.

    As others have pointed out, Gunn's Tweets were quite a while ago and he was jobless at the time. Let's not let any of this stop us from putting his head on a spike. (OH SNAP, I JUST MADE A JOKE ABOUT MURDER - I DESERVE TO BE FIRED!)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    a smaller ocean then? The Indian? Arctic?

    Because kids are kids.

    Grown adults are, well, far more responsible for their behavior. I think you need to find a different strawman.

    I have not made detailed and crass jokes about pedophilia or rape. As an adult, if i came across another adult who did I'd have concerns about their state of mind.

    Gunn has done more for himself in this than you have for him.

    1) You should look up with a straw man argument actually is.
    2) "Detailed" and crass jokes? How the hell does one get detailed on Twitter; it has a 140-character limit, are you kidding?
    3) Continue living on your pedestal, I'm sure the view is nice.
    4) I still don't believe you about not having made jokes like that. What, you've never made - or agreed with by laughing at - a surprise sex joke by someone your entire adult life, or seen an outrageous price on something and made a crack about how the company's raping people by charging that much? Sorry, don't buy it. Claim it if you want.

    As others have pointed out, Gunn's Tweets were quite a while ago and he was jobless at the time. Let's not let any of this stop us from putting his head on a spike. (OH SNAP, I JUST MADE A JOKE ABOUT MURDER - I DESERVE TO BE FIRED!)


    The tweets are explicit. Are you kidding, or just purposefully dense? Gunn himself says they were meant to be provocative, outrageous and taboo (his words). As I said.. I gave him a pass based on his apology and the number of people that are coming to his defense. You continue to argue people being upset about his tweets as invalid because.. and it changes so it's difficult to nail down... people in grade school, junior high and now as adults have made explicit rape and pedophilia jokes themselves. Gunn nor his supporters are using such a ridiculous defense... yet here you are.

    Being "raped" by a company on prices is not the same as what was being referenced. Not at all. Which is definition of "strawman": informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. Basically this has been your entire premise in this thread. You'd think you looked it up since you were so quick to suggest you knew what it meant. However, I don't think you know what you mean anymore.

    Enjoy your rape and pedophelia (still waiting for the common, socially acceptable metaphor involving pedaphilia example from you) jokes with your pals. And continue thinking you're in the majority of adults that make those types of jokes. Continue to make other examples that are far different than Gunn's very explicit jokes as some sort of validation it's ok.

    You're the winner here.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:55 pm
  • Want some Candy Little Girl? Heard that a lot. Or when someone says something creepy, must be your night off from driving the white Van and offering ice Cream tonight.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25441
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Want some Candy Little Girl? Heard that a lot. Or when someone says something creepy, must be your night off from driving the white Van and offering ice Cream tonight.


    More false equivalencies.

    These are not nearly the same as the very detailed, graphic and explicit pedophelia comments he publically tweeted that are so vile they can’t be posted.

    Again, I support his reinstatement. But not for “everyone makes jokes like this but not anything like this”
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 pm
  • I think you need to stick a couple more tampons up there, Si.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 pm
  • Up where??
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 16449
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Up where??

    One of his many bleeding orifices.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm
  • Well maybe a Big Hunk or a Tootsie Roll is more appropriate for this conversation.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25441
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:58 am
  • Elrmentary school, junior high? I remember those jokes too.

    And yet, best you try to emulate the absurdity, you just can’t.

    But it’s fun to watch you try. By all means, keep going
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13932
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Marvel Fired James Gunn.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Again, I support his reinstatement. But not for “everyone makes jokes like this but not anything like this”


    You're being too literal.

    It's about being inappropriate, and even crass and disgusting.....................and EVERY dude has been that, and hell most of us still are with our trusted friends.

    You're fixating on the pedophilia part of Gunn's tweets, and we're just making a general statement that and like Jeffries stated in his monologue, Gunn didn't actually commit the act of pedophilia, he just made a very unfunny joke.

    So where do you draw the line Si in order to absolve yourself from being lumped in with Gunn's type of humor, if that's the line you're trying to draw to show us you're not part of this general statement?

    Race? Sexuality? Criminal? Sexism? Cause if I made every one of us take a lie detector test on who's made inappropriate comments or jokes as adults? Every damn one of us would fail if we said no.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13841
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests