Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sciency stuff...SIMP with massive mag field discovered...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Astronomers discover a free-range planet with incredible magnetism

SIMP J01365663+0933473, shown here in this artist’s concept, is a massive, nearby exoplanet with a powerful, aurora-generating magnetic field.

A bizarre rogue planet without a star is roaming the Milky Way just 20 light-years from the Sun. And according to a recently published study in The Astrophysical Journal, this strange, nomadic world has an incredibly powerful magnetic field that is some 4 million times stronger than Earth’s. Furthermore, it generates spectacular auroras that would put our own northern lights to shame.

The new observations, made with the National Science Foundation’s Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA), not only are the first radio observations of a planetary-mass object beyond our solar system, but also mark the first time researchers have measured the magnetic field of such a body.

Sizing up SIMP

The peculiar and untethered object, succinctly named SIMP J01365663+0933473 (we’ll call it SIMP for simplicity's sake), was first discovered back in 2016. At the time, researchers thought SIMP was a brown dwarf: an object that’s too big to be a planet, but too small to be a star. However, last year, another study showed that SIMP is just small enough, at 12.7 times the mass and 1.2 times the radius of Jupiter, to be considered a planet — albeit a mammoth one.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/08/free-range-planet
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• That's interesting. It must have a composition heavy in iron, nickel, and rare earth elements in order to be so electromagnetically active.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Or vibranium and adamantium :P

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• SmokinHawk wrote:That's interesting. It must have a composition heavy in iron, nickel, and rare earth elements in order to be so electromagnetically active.

Metallic hydrogen, as is believed to be what most of Jupiter is under all those clouds. When sufficiently compressed, hydrogen enters a metallic state and is just as electrically conductive and magnetically permeable as iron. Big-assed planets like that have enough gravity to do the trick.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• chris98251 wrote:Or vibranium and adamantium :P

Clearly Unobtanium.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information