Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Paul Allen's Stratolaunch

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Paul Allen's Stratolaunch
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:13 pm
  • ImageThe world's largest airplane completed a taxi test just days after Paul Allen's death. (Stratolaunch)

The Microsoft co-founder's humongous plane is scheduled to leap into flight soon — after a few more tests like the most recent one, where it reached 80 miles per hour on a runway in the Mojave Desert.

Sadly, Allen, who died of lymphoma on Oct. 15, will not get to see his massive creation take flight.

The project is part of Allen's longtime spaceflight push.

Stratolaunch, with a wingspan longer than a football field, two cockpits, six engines and 28 wheels, will eventually be used to transport rockets carrying satellites and rocket ships.

"You don't build [that plane] unless you're very serious, not only about wanting to see the plane fly but to see it fulfill its purpose. Which is getting vehicles in orbit," Allen told Wired magazine earlier this year.

The astonishingly supersized plane has 80 miles of wiring, a 385-foot wingspan and a takeoff weight of 1.3 million pounds, according to Wired.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/paul-allen ... -his-death
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: Paul Allen's Stratolaunch
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am
  • Oh, he will see it alright. Best seat in the house in fact.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:57 pm
  • If those were the correct dimensions of that, then it's larger than a B-52...That's impressive.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:If those were the correct dimensions of that, then it's larger than a B-52...That's impressive.

Smart ass remark incoming.

Yes...it's "The world's largest airplane."
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:17 pm
  • There's a few planes larger than the B52, including the Airbus A380, which is pretty much equal-ish to the Antonov An-225 (of which there is only one). Actually, while I thoroughly understand the "if it ain't Boeing, I'm not going" opinion, the A380 is very nice to fly in. Mind you, I'm looking forward to flying in a Boeing 787 Dreamliner in a few years, when we go to the UK again. They now fly nonstop from Perth, Western Australia to London, and may well be able to do it from Melbourne by the time we go (Melbourne is much closer and cheaper to get to, from Adelaide).

BUT... I mean ZERO disrespect to the venerable B52! Seventy-five airframes still in flight, at age 55. Incredible.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 am
  • What I don't understand is why Todd doesn't already have an RC version of one of these. In, say, 1:20 scale...
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information