Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Chili ....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 am
  • Do you eat it?

    Make your own, or know someone that makes great Chili?

    Beans or No Bean is the big question?

    I feel like I make a decent pot.

    I always use 3-4 different meats.

    Beef
    Pork
    Chicken or Turkey
    And what I consider the magic

    Bison.


    Elk, Moose, or Venison is perfect but I don’t have access living in Texas like I did back in the Day.

    Purists say “no freaking way” on the beans, I actually like a few.

    What’s your take on Chili?
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:58 am
  • LOVE me some chili. My wife makes a great chili, and only uses a very small amount of beans. And a big thing of homemade corn bread to go along with it. It's real hearty the way she does it too. Def uses a couple different types of meat for it.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 am
  • I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 am
  • I love chili, and I do like to make it myself. I'm far from a purist. In fact, I rather enjoy mixing it up with my chili. I most often go with a mixture of meat and beans, but I do at times go all meat, and when I'm feeling like being a bit healthier, I'll even go for an all veggie, meat free chili. If you season it right, they all taste good, but I think my favorites are always a balance of meat and bean. I do prefer straight meat chili when I'm using it to go on something such as a chili dog or nachos or something along those lines.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19568
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:20 am
  • kidhawk wrote:I love chili, and I do like to make it myself. I'm far from a purist. In fact, I rather enjoy mixing it up with my chili. I most often go with a mixture of meat and beans, but I do at times go all meat, and when I'm feeling like being a bit healthier, I'll even go for an all veggie, meat free chili. If you season it right, they all taste good, but I think my favorites are always a balance of meat and bean. I do prefer straight meat chili when I'm using it to go on something such as a chili dog or nachos or something along those lines.


    Veggie chili? Is that even legal?

    Nothing wrong with good proteins in your chili, you eat that steak kidhawk with no remorse!!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 am
  • Love chili! Gotta be made with a combination of meats, both ground and chunks. And it has to have chunks of vegetables in it--onions, tomatoes, peppers (several kinds, both mild and hot, preferably), garlic, and beans. But not too many beans. Just enough to give it the extra taste and texture. Maybe some corn. Vegetables need to be a little crispy, too. Not overcooked. I also like to add both chunk garlic and garlic powder to it. Lots of garlic.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 22179
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: California via Negros Occidental, Philippines


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:45 am
  • Love chili. I don't eat it too much but love it. Has to be MEATY MEATY MEATY. Beans, meh. They are invited by default of course but it's about the sauce and meat to me. Turkey, beef, what-have-you.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12790
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 am
  • I will add that adding lechon kawali (fried pork belly chunks) to chili after it's made would be fantastic. It's basically a meatier thicker bacon that's deep fried until the skin is crunchy. To put that in chili would be amazingly good.

    Image
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 22179
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: California via Negros Occidental, Philippines


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 am
  • Aros wrote: Has to be MEATY MEATY MEATY.


    Image
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 am
  • Is that a bowl of chili in your pocket or?????
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 am
  • I made a big pot of brisket chili over the weekend. I had a couple pounds of smoked brisket from the previous weekend that I needed to do something with.

    Pretty much this:

    2 lbs smoked brisket cut into small cubes
    1 large onion diced
    Diced green chiles - I used about a tablespoon
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 15 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
    1 15 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
    1 28 fl oz can tomato sauce
    1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1/2 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground mustard
    salt and pepper to taste

    Cook the onions and peppers for a few minutes, add in the garlic, and then dump everything else in and simmer for a couple hours. Some of the best chili I have ever had.

    Image

    I have made this one in the past too: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... carne.html A bit more involved but tremendous flavor. And no beans in that one for those that don't like them.
    drcool
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 673
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am
    Location: Jacksonville, FL


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am
  • Hot damn I am hungry for chili.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12790
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am
  • Aros wrote:Hot damn I am hungry for chili.


    That settles it. I am having leftover chili for lunch.
    drcool
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 673
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am
    Location: Jacksonville, FL


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:40 am
  • Yep, bouts to go to lunch. Luckily there is a place called hole in the wall BBQ across the street. Solid food, and damn good chili.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am
  • Cincinnati chili is where it's at.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105436
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:05 am
  • Here’s a picture of the pot I’m working on today. Image

    It’s just now getting started, and will be several (probably 8 or more) before it’s ready.

    I have to admit, I really don’t care either way about the beans. I started using “a few” simply because these Texans said I couldn’t. Screw that, tell me I can’t, and I’m gunna.
    For what it’s worth, I only use Pintos, don’t care for Kidneys as well.

    I’m like some of the others here, I don’t have a set recipe, generally I go with whatever is “fresh” and available when I’m ready.
    I’m ready today because it’s cool and raining. For me Chili isn’t for 97 degree days.

    I can’t speak for other parts of the country but here in Texas chili is a big deal, the “chili cook offs” (contests) are 2nd only to BBQ.

    This particular pot is with pork, turkey, and bison.
    I’ve used Anaheim, Poblano, Jalapeño, red & orange bell, and 1 Habanero peppers.

    I used Shallots instead of onion, fresh Cilantro, and tons of garlic.

    I use an organic “polvo de chili” (chili powder blend) that I buy from a Mexican in Houston.

    One of my “secret” ingredients is, SMOKED paprika from India. Obviously chili isn’t chili without Cumin.

    Generally I like to use fresh tomatoes but was in a bit of a hurry today. I used caned.
    Also like to use my own “beef bone stock” but again I took a short cut and used a store bought stock.

    I’d post a recipe but I really don’t have one, I just go with the flow.

    One of my best pots ever took 3 days to make.

    1st day I braised an “American” Kobe beef chuck roast.

    2nd day I “smoked “ a pork shoulder.

    3rd day I made chili with the meat.

    Chili can be as simple, or as complex as you want.

    It’s amazing how a meal that was originally made from “scraps” has evolved.

    I love you guys, and truly wish I could share a brew and bowl of my chili with y’all.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 am
  • I hate you Lon. :P
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12790
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:16 pm
  • I highly respect a man serious about his cooking, far more than just about any other endeavor or hobby.

    I have WAY too many friends who just show up to the game with some Hormel in a Pyrex bowl and say "what!? all chili tastes the same!" HAVE SOME DAMN RESPECT FOR THE FOOD PEOPLE!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    I respectfully disagree with your sentiments on the meat.

    Fact is, I challenge anyone to tell me the difference in ground turkey from pork or beef after it’s been stewing in a pot of chili for 8-10 hours. Hell I don’t think you could distinguish the difference visually.

    Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat, it’s the blend of those different fats that I think makes the difference in great over good chili.

    Not trying to create an argument, simply stating my reasoning for the blend of meats.

    Cheers.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    I respectfully disagree with your sentiments on the meat.

    Fact is, I challenge anyone to tell me the difference in ground turkey from pork or beef after it’s been stewing in a pot of chili for 8-10 hours. Hell I don’t think you could distinguish the difference visually.

    Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat, it’s the blend of those different fats that I think makes the difference in great over good chili.

    Not trying to create an argument, simply stating my reasoning for the blend of meats.

    Cheers.


    That's the problem, ground turkey has very little fat, especially in comparison to some good 80/20 hamburger or steak.

    So most chili or other dishes that have ground turkey in it just tastes bland and flavorless. It's a zero meat flavor to me.

    Now maybe in chili with so many other spices and flavor profiles going on, it's far less noticable than a turkey burger or something that heavily relies on the meat flavor? But even then I much prefer steak or 80/20 hamburger with some good fat in it.

    But hey, go on with your bad turkey self. Me, I'm with Aros..........MEATY MEATY MEATY!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    I respectfully disagree with your sentiments on the meat.

    Fact is, I challenge anyone to tell me the difference in ground turkey from pork or beef after it’s been stewing in a pot of chili for 8-10 hours. Hell I don’t think you could distinguish the difference visually.

    Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat, it’s the blend of those different fats that I think makes the difference in great over good chili.

    Not trying to create an argument, simply stating my reasoning for the blend of meats.

    Cheers.


    That's the problem, ground turkey has very little fat, especially in comparison to some good 80/20 hamburger or steak.

    So most chili or other dishes that have ground turkey in it just tastes bland and flavorless. It's a zero meat flavor to me.

    Now maybe in chili with so many other spices and flavor profiles going on, it's far less noticable than a turkey burger or something that heavily relies on the meat flavor? But even then I much prefer steak or 80/20 hamburger with some good fat in it.

    But hey, go on with your bad turkey self. Me, I'm with Aros..........MEATY MEATY MEATY!!


    I get it.

    But what about that browned turkey skin @ thanksgiving?

    Yum IMHO

    I don’t buy the extra lean ground turkey breast. I buy the stuff that has it all. It’s listed as 85/15. Trust me, there’s some “fat” in it.

    And let’s discuss that glorious “pig” fat. Holy crap, not healthy but some dam good flavor.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    I respectfully disagree with your sentiments on the meat.

    Fact is, I challenge anyone to tell me the difference in ground turkey from pork or beef after it’s been stewing in a pot of chili for 8-10 hours. Hell I don’t think you could distinguish the difference visually.

    Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat, it’s the blend of those different fats that I think makes the difference in great over good chili.

    Not trying to create an argument, simply stating my reasoning for the blend of meats.

    Cheers.


    That's the problem, ground turkey has very little fat, especially in comparison to some good 80/20 hamburger or steak.

    So most chili or other dishes that have ground turkey in it just tastes bland and flavorless. It's a zero meat flavor to me.

    Now maybe in chili with so many other spices and flavor profiles going on, it's far less noticable than a turkey burger or something that heavily relies on the meat flavor? But even then I much prefer steak or 80/20 hamburger with some good fat in it.

    But hey, go on with your bad turkey self. Me, I'm with Aros..........MEATY MEATY MEATY!!


    I get it.

    But what about that browned turkey skin @ thanksgiving?

    Yum IMHO

    I don’t buy the extra lean ground turkey breast. I buy the stuff that has it all. It’s listed as 85/15. Trust me, there’s some “fat” in it.

    And let’s discuss that glorious “pig” fat. Holy crap, not healthy but some dam good flavor.


    Right, and adding the pork is usually a sign that your turkey needs some help making your chili awesome. You need to add some flavor and fat into what you're doing.

    But yes, I love turkey skin, and I love pork.............just not in my chili. Maybe you should send me a quart of your chili and I'll be a convert. Hint hint nudge nudge say no more. :D
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:28 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:“pig” fat


    I have some ends and pieces from my last batch of homemade bacon that are too salty to eat by themselves. I ground them up with thoughts of mixing it into burger patties but it would probably do very well in a nice pot of chili. The saltiness would be diluted by the rest of the chili and there is plenty of fat to bring some flavor.
    drcool
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 673
    Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 am
    Location: Jacksonville, FL


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    I respectfully disagree with your sentiments on the meat.

    Fact is, I challenge anyone to tell me the difference in ground turkey from pork or beef after it’s been stewing in a pot of chili for 8-10 hours. Hell I don’t think you could distinguish the difference visually.

    Most of the flavor of meat is in the fat, it’s the blend of those different fats that I think makes the difference in great over good chili.

    Not trying to create an argument, simply stating my reasoning for the blend of meats.

    Cheers.


    That's the problem, ground turkey has very little fat, especially in comparison to some good 80/20 hamburger or steak.

    So most chili or other dishes that have ground turkey in it just tastes bland and flavorless. It's a zero meat flavor to me.

    Now maybe in chili with so many other spices and flavor profiles going on, it's far less noticable than a turkey burger or something that heavily relies on the meat flavor? But even then I much prefer steak or 80/20 hamburger with some good fat in it.

    But hey, go on with your bad turkey self. Me, I'm with Aros..........MEATY MEATY MEATY!!


    I get it.

    But what about that browned turkey skin @ thanksgiving?

    Yum IMHO

    I don’t buy the extra lean ground turkey breast. I buy the stuff that has it all. It’s listed as 85/15. Trust me, there’s some “fat” in it.

    And let’s discuss that glorious “pig” fat. Holy crap, not healthy but some dam good flavor.


    Right, and adding the pork is usually a sign that your turkey needs some help making your chili awesome. You need to add some flavor and fat into what you're doing.

    But yes, I love turkey skin, and I love pork.............just not in my chili. Maybe you should send me a quart of your chili and I'll be a convert. Hint hint nudge nudge say no more. :D


    It’s my opinion that you’re on the right track but for the wrong reasons.

    Sure one needs the other but not because one can’t stand on its own.

    It’s because the marriage makes them better that they would be otherwise.


    Ever had Venison sausages that didn’t have pork mixed in?

    It’s dry, lacks flavor and texture, no mater how much you pump up the seasonings.

    Obviously Chili is varied and is done to personal taste but I’ve been cooking and making chili for a long time. I have it down according to my taste. My family just happens to enjoy it too.

    I mentioned above that I really like wild game in my chili, Moose and Elk is excellent but it’s hard to get my hands on. I can get it but it’s farm raised, expensive, and does not taste the same.

    My mix of Pork, foul, and bison comes as close as possible for me.

    Obviously this is a personal taste issue, and I make different variations depending on what I can get but I doubt that anyone that likes chili, would say mine is terrible.

    I’ll keep you in mind next time.
    Maybe I’ll send you some along with a decent Texas IPA.

    You must promise that you won’t stalk me after.
    Stuffs pretty good.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:02 pm
  • To hell with beans in chili.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30026
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:21 am
  • Yeah, not a huge fan at all. If I put a percentage on how much my wife puts in there, I'd say 3 percent. More often than not, it's meat only. I end up picking them out anyway :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    You must promise that you won’t stalk me after.


    I promise nothing.

    10 years ago my buddy's wife made me her famous lasagna............I spent the next month hiding in their bushes, camping out on their lawn screaming "LASAGNA!!".........restraining orders were filed.........now I'm divorced and living in a van down by the river.

    Really I've said too much. But yeah, send me some chili!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am
  • There is no right way to make chili (or anything else) This year I discovered green chili. I bought an Instant Pot pressure cooker and have made this recipe with both Chicken and Pork. Both delicious. Last time I made it I added a can of hatch red enchilada sauce. Also delicious.

    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

    When making red chili I like to use dried chilis, deseeded and soaked in warm water then whizzed in a blender. Beans are welcome. Meat? All combos, all cuts. It's the spices that really make it for me. The right combo of chilis, cumin, oregano and salt.

    Wait a minute, there is one wrong way to make chili. Cincinati chili is just wrong and an affront to Tex Mex and Italian cooking in one evil dish.

    Buon apetito!
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2101
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 am
  • StoneCold wrote:There is no right way to make chili (or anything else) This year I discovered green chili. I bought an Instant Pot pressure cooker and have made this recipe with both Chicken and Pork. Both delicious. Last time I made it I added a can of hatch red enchilada sauce. Also delicious.

    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

    When making red chili I like to use dried chilis, deseeded and soaked in warm water then whizzed in a blender. Beans are welcome. Meat? All combos, all cuts. It's the spices that really make it for me. The right combo of chilis, cumin, oregano and salt.

    Wait a minute, there is one wrong way to make chili. Cincinati chili is just wrong and an affront to Tex Mex and Italian cooking in one evil dish.

    Buon apetito!


    Agree.

    That Cincinnati stuff ain’t Chili.
    It’s like meat pumpkin pie. Those spices don’t belong in chili.
    I’m not saying it’s a terrible dish, just don’t call it “Chili”
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:05 am
  • Beans, Ground beef, and proper amount of spices.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23850
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:32 pm
  • If you want it a bit spicier, go with the white onions. They are hotter and will definitely spice it up. When I get back from my Detroit trip, I may drag out some OLD elkburger, some old elk, some newer deer, and then some beans and other ingredients to make a monster pot of chili. I have the containers already set up for the freezer.....I need to make my world easier.....I think the chili will work great in half a Butternut Squash...in the oven for 45 mins....hmmmm sounds great already.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8139
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:15 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    What if the turkey is wild turkey (either from hunting or the whiskey)?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105436
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Chili ....
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:10 am
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm a purist when it comes to meat in my chili, but not the beans.

    I'm cool with beans or no beans, but my chili must be steak, hamburger or some type of wild game (Elk, venison, etc). No chicken, pork or turkey. That's just soup.

    I like to use stew meat, then let it cook for hours to tenderize. I also use beer and a little masa flour to thicken it up at the end, also gives it some nice texture and flavor..........and yes has to go with a side of corn bread.


    What if the turkey is wild turkey (either from hunting or the whiskey)?


    lol, whiskey version sounds good. I'm always down for booze in my food.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:23 am
  • Great discussion. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to make a pot. However, that's a good problem to have.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Chili ....
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:Great discussion. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to make a pot. However, that's a good problem to have.


    Same problem here. This thread made me decide to go all in this weekend and make up a nice big batch. Lon's a bad (maybe good) influence
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19568
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Chili ....
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 pm
  • Had today off because my daughter’s daycare was closed for a training day, so I spent a large portion of it (about 6 hours) making a nice big pot of chili. It was definitely a nice way to spend a cool fall day and it came out really good. I used a mix of beef pork and chorizo and added 3 types of beans and tomatoes along with garlic,onions and 3 types of peppers. I added spices throughout the cook to get it where I wanted.

    I’m glad this thread popped up when it did. Chili is a great fall food.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19568
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Chili ....
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am
  • Has to have meat. I prefer with beans as well.

    Just dont put macaroni in it like those wierdos in Cincinatti.
    User avatar
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2052
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:40 am
    Location: Enumclaw, WA


Re: Chili ....
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:20 am
  • XxXdragonXxX wrote:Has to have meat. I prefer with beans as well.

    Just dont put macaroni in it like those wierdos in Cincinatti.

    Yeah, what’s up with that? That should be against the law or something!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23850
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 am
  • Macaroni noodles > beans if we're talking about one or the other, and it's not even close. :)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30026
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Macaroni noodles > beans if we're talking about one or the other, and it's not even close. :)

    My old step-mom would do that... after the first day or two. Called it 'Extended Chili'.
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 am
  • I've used leftover chili to add to mac & cheese and I really enjoy it, but I don't call that chili. Chili can mix with a number of other food items to make a whole new dish. Chili is a great dish for that type of thing
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19568
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:23 am
  • Adding chili to mac & cheese for some chili mac is super good.

    Thanks to this thread we made some chili yesterday. Ground beef, jalapeno bacon, three types of beans, tomatoes, onions, celery, garlic, jalapeno and habanero peppers, some cumin and spices. Fantastic. Thanks for starting the thread, pmedic.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1823
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:45 am
  • Hell yes, we used to do that all the time growing up. Chili with no beans of course.
    After this thread, I asked my wife if we could have chili. She made up a killer white chicken chili, was so damn good.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I highly respect a man serious about his cooking, far more than just about any other endeavor or hobby.

    I have WAY too many friends who just show up to the game with some Hormel in a Pyrex bowl and say "what!? all chili tastes the same!" HAVE SOME DAMN RESPECT FOR THE FOOD PEOPLE!!


    Nothing beats Wendy's chili.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16068
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Nothing beats Wendy's chili.

    Not sure if you're trolling or not, but for fast food, their chili is really good, IMO. (So, I'm assuming you're not trolling...lol.)
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30026
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am
  • Funny, I was thinking the same thing. It's surprisingly good.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Nothing beats Wendy's chili.

    Not sure if you're trolling or not, but for fast food, their chili is really good, IMO. (So, I'm assuming you're not trolling...lol.)


    Well, I was trolling...but it's still darn good chili.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16068
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Chili ....
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 pm
  • I was watching a chili cook off on tv and Texas chili was featured..It doesn't look anything like
    what I see on here except for the pork belly chunks but they used steak i believe but whatever.
    I had to turn the channel because i was getting too hungry..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4027
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:16 am
  • kidhawk wrote:I've used leftover chili to add to mac & cheese and I really enjoy it, but I don't call that chili. Chili can mix with a number of other food items to make a whole new dish. Chili is a great dish for that type of thing

    There’s a specific dish called “chili Mac”

    Again it’s not terrible but don’t call it chili.
    #amiright.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:17 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I highly respect a man serious about his cooking, far more than just about any other endeavor or hobby.

    I have WAY too many friends who just show up to the game with some Hormel in a Pyrex bowl and say "what!? all chili tastes the same!" HAVE SOME DAMN RESPECT FOR THE FOOD PEOPLE!!


    Nothing beats Wendy's chili.


    You sound zackly.


    Zackly like Fender

    #asshat
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17190
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Next


It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online