Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Chili ....

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I've used leftover chili to add to mac & cheese and I really enjoy it, but I don't call that chili. Chili can mix with a number of other food items to make a whole new dish. Chili is a great dish for that type of thing

    There’s a specific dish called “chili Mac”



    and chili dogs, chili burgers, chili nachos.....Now that I think about it, what are some ways you all use chili with other foods to create new dishes? I'm always looking for new ideas of what to do with excess chili besides just eating it from the bowl.
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 19824
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:53 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I've used leftover chili to add to mac & cheese and I really enjoy it, but I don't call that chili. Chili can mix with a number of other food items to make a whole new dish. Chili is a great dish for that type of thing

    There’s a specific dish called “chili Mac”



    and chili dogs, chili burgers, chili nachos.....Now that I think about it, what are some ways you all use chili with other foods to create new dishes? I'm always looking for new ideas of what to do with excess chili besides just eating it from the bowl.


    A good drunk snack is chili mixed with queso or cream cheese.

    You know, if it's late at night, buzzed and you'd like to consume something you'll regret in the morning. But man is it delicious when you're eating it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 am
  • God yes, with some Chili Lime chips to dip in there and scoop em up. Killer night time food that you immediately need to hit the tums for........
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12070
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm
  • Chili Cheese fries...is a dish they served at a place I used to go to called Bugsy's.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8611
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 pm
  • I make my own chili.

    The whole neighborhood shows up when I do, so I usually end up making 5 gallons at a time.

    I roast my own peppers... and grind my own chili powder.


    I usually use a blend of green hatch, sante fe, jalapenas, passilla, and cerano peppers, but this time I used a bunch of hanging lantern habaneros instead of jalalpenas, and dear god... too hot.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2147
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Chili ....
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:26 pm
  • Chili has no beans k! Aged beef rubbed with tobassco sauce, onuion, garlic, have to use some tomato paste. (no seeds jalpnano and habaneros) green sauce with tomoteeas,Carroll Shelby spice mix. Top with lime juice, bacon bits fresh onuion, cheese and a little sour cream to help with fire if needed. BAM! Spoon drop.
    Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2309
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: Chili ....
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm
  • http://denvergreenchili.com/recipes/sou ... ado-style/


    If you have not had the pleasure, do yourself a favor..... In Colorado and New mexico, it's served stand alone but also smothering burritos and Tamales, and Rellenos etc. I love Red Chili, but Green is so good, and so spicy!
    5280Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 958
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:01 pm


Re: Chili ....
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 pm
  • Just a small question, if you get your chili too hot to handle, what do you use to mellow it out? I have some ideas, but am curious about yours. Thanks.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8611
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:48 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Just a small question, if you get your chili too hot to handle, what do you use to mellow it out? I have some ideas, but am curious about yours. Thanks.


    I've done this a couple times, and there are two approaches.

    1. Try to tone down the heat by adding more ingredients. But that takes time, you'll need at least a couple hours for the chili to thicken back up if you add in more beef stock, beer, water, etc.............. or raw ingredients.

    2. Serve it with sour cream. Anything milk bases will neutralize the capsaicin in the cayenne pepper or whatever pepper base you put too much in, so it helps (and it's delicious) to just put a dollop of sour cream on top before serving. Really helps to mellow it out and cuts the heat.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:Just a small question, if you get your chili too hot to handle, what do you use to mellow it out? I have some ideas, but am curious about yours. Thanks.


    I've done this a couple times, and there are two approaches.

    1. Try to tone down the heat by adding more ingredients. But that takes time, you'll need at least a couple hours for the chili to thicken back up if you add in more beef stock, beer, water, etc.............. or raw ingredients.

    2. Serve it with sour cream. Anything milk bases will neutralize the capsaicin in the cayenne pepper or whatever pepper base you put too much in, so it helps (and it's delicious) to just put a dollop of sour cream on top before serving. Really helps to mellow it out and cuts the heat.


    Thanks. THat was kinda what I was doing with the canned mud I was putting in the sauce pan. Kinda bought a case of hotter than normal on sale stuff. So far I have tried canned maters and canned peas. May go with mixed veggies and put a couple cans of it in the crock to simmer most of the afternoon one day soon. Just to see what happens...then add some elk or deer or moose. Naw, No WAY on the Moose. I love moose just the way it is.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8611
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:Just a small question, if you get your chili too hot to handle, what do you use to mellow it out? I have some ideas, but am curious about yours. Thanks.


    I've done this a couple times, and there are two approaches.

    1. Try to tone down the heat by adding more ingredients. But that takes time, you'll need at least a couple hours for the chili to thicken back up if you add in more beef stock, beer, water, etc.............. or raw ingredients.

    2. Serve it with sour cream. Anything milk bases will neutralize the capsaicin in the cayenne pepper or whatever pepper base you put too much in, so it helps (and it's delicious) to just put a dollop of sour cream on top before serving. Really helps to mellow it out and cuts the heat.


    Thanks. THat was kinda what I was doing with the canned mud I was putting in the sauce pan. Kinda bought a case of hotter than normal on sale stuff. So far I have tried canned maters and canned peas. May go with mixed veggies and put a couple cans of it in the crock to simmer most of the afternoon one day soon. Just to see what happens...then add some elk or deer or moose. Naw, No WAY on the Moose. I love moose just the way it is.



    Wait, you put peas in your chili? I would have never given you advice if I knew this!!!
























    I said good day!!!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:Just a small question, if you get your chili too hot to handle, what do you use to mellow it out? I have some ideas, but am curious about yours. Thanks.


    I've done this a couple times, and there are two approaches.

    1. Try to tone down the heat by adding more ingredients. But that takes time, you'll need at least a couple hours for the chili to thicken back up if you add in more beef stock, beer, water, etc.............. or raw ingredients.

    2. Serve it with sour cream. Anything milk bases will neutralize the capsaicin in the cayenne pepper or whatever pepper base you put too much in, so it helps (and it's delicious) to just put a dollop of sour cream on top before serving. Really helps to mellow it out and cuts the heat.


    Thanks. THat was kinda what I was doing with the canned mud I was putting in the sauce pan. Kinda bought a case of hotter than normal on sale stuff. So far I have tried canned maters and canned peas. May go with mixed veggies and put a couple cans of it in the crock to simmer most of the afternoon one day soon. Just to see what happens...then add some elk or deer or moose. Naw, No WAY on the Moose. I love moose just the way it is.



    Wait, you put peas in your chili? I would have never given you advice if I knew this!!!
























    I said good day!!!


    It was available and I did not have Couscous. But I do have creamed corn..... :stirthepot:
    Canned and frozen....
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8611
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    It was available and I did not have Couscous. But I do have creamed corn..... :stirthepot:
    Canned and frozen....


    I feel like I'm on Candid Camera..........peas, creamed corn, Couscous? This is the..........chili...........thread right?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    It was available and I did not have Couscous. But I do have creamed corn..... :stirthepot:
    Canned and frozen....


    I feel like I'm on Candid Camera..........peas, creamed corn, Couscous? This is the..........chili...........thread right?


    Yep, you are on Candid Camera. Especially with your pants down. He he he ....

    The OP asked what variations we use in our favorite Chili.....I am experimenting with variations. :stirthepot:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8611
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Chili ....
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:23 pm
  • A good chili is based on just the right amount of spices, the meat and its thickness. When I have some chili hit my shirt, i don't want it to continue down into my lap.MY chili I want it to stay stuck to my shirt. Thats when you know your recipe is just right. Baced on how well it clings to your shirt.

    Same with speggetti.

    Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2309
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: Chili ....
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:40 am
  • The best chili has to have lots of beans and ground beef with the proper amount of spiciness.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24844
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Chili ....
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 am
  • DOWN WITH THE BEANS IN CHILI INITIATIVE!!

    It's Satan's work. Beans go into chili for one reason: to be cheap filler, just like the rice in your teriyaki.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30432
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Chili ....
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 am
  • True chili, "REAL"chili has no beans.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2309
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: Chili ....
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:DOWN WITH THE BEANS IN CHILI INITIATIVE!!

    It's Satan's work. Beans go into chili for one reason: to be cheap filler, just like the rice in your teriyaki.


    It's all about ratio.

    I'm cool with beans in chili as long as there's also copious amounts of meat. Now if you serve me some vegetarian chili with no meat and all beans? I burn this mother down!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am
  • beans are good for you, though. One of the appeals of eating chili for me.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4967
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm


Re: Chili ....
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:DOWN WITH THE BEANS IN CHILI INITIATIVE!!

    It's Satan's work. Beans go into chili for one reason: to be cheap filler, just like the rice in your teriyaki.


    It's all about ratio.

    I'm cool with beans in chili as long as there's also copious amounts of meat. Now if you serve me some vegetarian chili with no meat and all beans? I burn this mother down!


    Finally, we agree on something!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16665
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Chili ....
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:DOWN WITH THE BEANS IN CHILI INITIATIVE!!

    It's Satan's work. Beans go into chili for one reason: to be cheap filler, just like the rice in your teriyaki.


    It's all about ratio.

    I'm cool with beans in chili as long as there's also copious amounts of meat. Now if you serve me some vegetarian chili with no meat and all beans? I burn this mother down!


    Finally, we agree on something!


    I believe this is one of the seven signs of the apocalypse.

    Image
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 14844
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Previous


It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online