Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Recommendations For International Travel

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Recommendations For International Travel
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:38 pm
  • Thinking about taking a big trip this next summer, trying to decide where to go. As much as Ild like to go to South East Asia, not sure I can do that plane ride. Went to Spain and France this past summer and enjoyed it. Considering Japan because they have non stop flights and they aren’t that long.

What are your favorite countries to go to for vacation, please share.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• I've never travelled outside of the US. I'm hoping to be able to take a trip to the UK in a few years for my 50th birthday.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I have been to Guam, I have been to the Philippines, Been to Japan on leave from...Been to Korea, Never got to Thailand. Want to go there.

Those that I have been to were on Active duty with the service or on vacation from point a to point b and back. A friend is looking at retiring in Philippines. Another says Thailand after his tour elsewhere.

I dont know what you are looking for. I would look for things that interest me. History and such interest me at the moment. I also like cultures. Alaska has a culture of its own.

What did you visit in France and what were you looking for. That gives a better idea of your position. If your interests are not within the concepts of the site.......pm. I am good with it. Duarte is not interesting.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Not sure if it would be considered international, but I know many people who have been to Costa Rica and thought it was the best trip ever.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Finland
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• Never been but hope to make it to Italy some day.
    Being only the 5th generation here in the USA, I’d love to see where my “peeps” came from.

I hear the food ain’t bad so that’s a plus. Many places I’d like to see have questionable palettes, and I ain’t eating no 1000 year old eggs.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:Never been but hope to make it to Italy some day.
    Being only the 5th generation here in the USA, I’d love to see where my “peeps” came from.

I hear the food ain’t bad so that’s a plus. Many places I’d like to see have questionable palettes, and I ain’t eating no 1000 year old eggs.

I'm with you on that Lon! I'm not paying thousands of dollars to travel to a place that Bizarre Foods would put on the air.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:I hear the food ain’t bad so that’s a plus.

Not to start a war, but I've got two friends who have independently vacationed in Italy, and they both had experiences like this with the vast majority of food, despite stellar Yelp reviews at almost every place they went to; in several cities both north and south: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 56849.html
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I hear the food ain’t bad so that’s a plus.

Not to start a war, but I've got two friends who have independently vacationed in Italy, and they both had experiences like this with the vast majority of food, despite stellar Yelp reviews at almost every place they went to; in several cities both north and south: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 56849.html

Not a war at all.
    It’s simple, just agree that food good/bad is completely subjective based on who is making the claim.

In my book, a rotten egg is “bad food”, to the people that like them, it’s “great food”.

A prime tenderloin steak cooked to the perfect temperature is “great food”, but a vegetarian wouldn’t even put it in their mouth (=bad food)

Personally, I have enough food/travel knowledge that I’m confident that I could find plenty of what I consider “great food” in Italy.
    Again it’s 100% subjective YMMV
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I haven't been there, so I can't say one way or the other. I just found it very odd and interesting that two different friends, unbeknownst to each other, told me the same thing like two years apart.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• I have not been there either, but would like to go there as we have a base there and the price would be a lot better with the finances if I get there. Having a cheaper room is a lot better.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Considering Morocco, Greek Islands and Costa Rica. Seems kind of all over the place, but that is what we've come up with. Anyone been to these?
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

• North Sentinal Island looks nice.......
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Hawk-Lock wrote:Considering Morocco, Greek Islands and Costa Rica. Seems kind of all over the place, but that is what we've come up with. Anyone been to these?

A friend has been there....Costa Rica. I shall discuss with him next week where he went...I think it was about 3 miles away from where the main city was. I dont remember. Will verify.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I’ve been to Canada. Their freeway system sucks.
    Now I can see why grandfather moved from there.
    Too many hosers there, eh! 8)

PS. Actually outside of the Canadian border agents, everyone I met there was cool, and I dig their funny money.
    Their North/South freeway 99 does suck though.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• New Zealand was absolutely fantastic. If you're going during the summer it's going to be their winter, though. If you're into skiing or snowboarding you could get some turns in on the south island.

During our winter and their summer I spent about a week on the north island staying in Auckland and then spent about a week driving around the south island, Dunedin to Milford Sound to Queenstown. Fell in love with the country, can't wait to go back.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JG probably wouldn't know what a "New Zealand" was if not for the LotR films.

:lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:JG probably wouldn't know what a "New Zealand" was if not for the LotR films.

:lol:

LOL for your information we had the opportunity to do some LotR tours and we passed them up. I've never been a huge fan, though I think they're good movies for what they are.

Actually my SO at the time was going to school down there for a year so it gave me a good excuse to go to a country I knew next to nothing about.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Not sure if it would be considered international, but I know many people who have been to Costa Rica and thought it was the best trip ever.

You do know what international means, right (see what a Ducks education gets you?!?!??)? It wouldn't qualify for "overseas" but it is definitely international. Guam, which somebody mentioned above would not be international but would be overseas.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Not sure if it would be considered international, but I know many people who have been to Costa Rica and thought it was the best trip ever.

You do know what international means, right (see what a Ducks education gets you?!?!??)? It wouldn't qualify for "overseas" but it is definitely international. Guam, which somebody mentioned above would not be international but would be overseas.

It's a confusing time, HawkGA. Who knows if travelling to another sovereign country would be international in 2018?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• I really enjoyed Iceland and Norway, I did Vienna during Christmas and that was amazing, the Normandy beaches was another great visit.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:North Sentinal Island looks nice.......

Is that where indigenous people shot arrows at helicopters?
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:I really enjoyed Iceland and Norway, I did Vienna during Christmas and that was amazing, the Normandy beaches was another great visit.

We went to the Normandy beaches last year, on a day trip from Paris.

Caen Memorial, Pointe du Hoc, the American Cemetery at Colleville, Omaha Beach, the ruins of the old artificial port at Arromanches and Juno Beach. A very emotional day which I will never forget.

I'd love to go to Iceland - hopefully next time we get to England/UK. I want to visit the Scottish northwest and the islands, and visit Castle Tioram (I'm a descendant of Flora Macdonald). Good to dream! Well, I never thought I'd be going to Alaska, Canada and NYC, but in late April onwards, I'll be there.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:New Zealand was absolutely fantastic. If you're going during the summer it's going to be their winter, though. If you're into skiing or snowboarding you could get some turns in on the south island.

During our winter and their summer I spent about a week on the north island staying in Auckland and then spent about a week driving around the south island, Dunedin to Milford Sound to Queenstown. Fell in love with the country, can't wait to go back.

I love New Zealand, too. I think Milford Sound is the most gorgeous place I've ever seen. Tragic what happened to poor Christchurch, with the massive 2011 earthquake loss of life and severe damage. Adelaide has been a "sister city" to Christchurch for many years.

Went on a couple of Lord of the Rings related excursions. One was in the hills just behind Wellington, where the "get off the road" scene was filmed, where the hobbits hide amongst large tree roots while the Nazgul (Black Rider) stops his horse right next to them. The "roots" don't exist - they were artificial. The other was to the Hobbiton movie set, which was enchanting. Had a beer in The Green Dragon, and walked around the "village" (Bag End, The Party Tree, The Mill... a wonderful day.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• If you like tropical, I'd go Thailand. Way better food than Philippines. Filipinos are nicer folks tho. Either way, get out of the city ASAP.

South Korea is terribly underrated btw. Some beautiful places, and English is far more prevalent than it is in Japan or China.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• In Europe, I'd highly recommend Croatia. Fantastic place with a lot of really neat historical stuff, friendly people, and great food. The coast and inland are two completely different environments, but are both incredible.

I'm getting ready to go to Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam after I head back to the Philippines in a month or so. Really looking forward to vacationing/honeymooning around Asia.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:and great food.

I feel the urge to caution the general populace here that they should take your food recommendations with a grain of salt. All the weird crap you've claimed to enjoy, lol - let's just say you're a very adventurous eater. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:and great food.

I feel the urge to caution the general populace here that they should take your food recommendations with a grain of salt. All the weird crap you've claimed to enjoy, lol - let's just say you're a very adventurous eater. ;)

True. But Croatia has good food from a typical European fare standard. The inland serves a lot of pasta, meat, potato, and vegetable dishes, and the coast has a great variety of excellent seafood and Mediterranean food. I am an adventurous eater, but if you're a fan of German, French, and Italian food, you'll find something quite delicious anywhere you go in Croatia.

And I didn't hear you complain about those delicious ćevapi during the game a couple of years ago!

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information