Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Lockheed Orion P3C 50 years service in RAAF - flypast!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • https://www.airforce.gov.au/operations/ ... ng-display

2018 marks 50 years of service of the P-3 Orion aircraft for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). To celebrate this significant capability milestone, and to acknowledge the enduring connection and support of the Adelaide community to RAAF P-3 service over the last 50 years, up to four AP-3C Orion aircraft from No. 10 Squadron at RAAF Base Edinburgh will conduct a formation flypast over Adelaide on Friday 30 November 2018.

After departing RAAF Base Edinburgh at approximately noon, the aircraft will proceed along the coast from Outer Harbor, tracking over the southern suburbs, Adelaide CBD, Adelaide Hills and then the northern suburbs, before returning to Base at approximately 1.45pm. The flyover will be conducted at a height of no lower than 76 metres (250 feet) above terrain and at a speed of approximately 390km/hr (210 knots).

Approximate timings for the flyover are as follows:

Outer Harbor – 1226
    Noarlunga Jetty – 1235
    Mt. Lofty – 1250
    Hope Valley Reservoir – 1300
    Regency Shopping Centre – 1258
    King William St - 1257
    Adelaide Airport – 1305
    Torrens Outlet – 1306
    Outer Harbor – 1310
    Elizabeth Shopping Centre – 1313
    Gawler Airfield – 1315
    RAAF Edinburgh – 1345

Upon return of the Orion to RAAF Base Edinburgh, a RAAF P-8A Poseidon aircraft from No. 11 Squadron will perform a handling display over the Base precinct at approximately 1.50pm to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of P-3 Orion operations and to acknowledge new capabilities.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Peace is our Profession.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:Peace is our Profession.

Absolutely! The Orions have also been heavily involved in rescue missions, too - finding and dropping supplies to marooned people in ocean-traversing yachts, etc. I took some video, but have not checked it yet to see how it came out. I was watching the planes first, and trying to aim the camcorder at them second... I don't like "missing" things in the effort to capture them on video/image.

The planes were a bit late, and there were three, not four (no explanation) - but well worth the short trip to a nearby beach.

We get so little in the way of air displays here - I envy you Seattleites your Seafair, in so many ways!

I wish it was the first day of winter here tomorrow, too, instead of the first of freaking summer!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Very cool Aussie thanks for sharing!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information