Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

For Those Of Us Living In Earthquake Country

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • With this latest 7.0 earthquake in Anchorage Alaska (our own Kidhawk was one of them affected) it is vital for those of us to be prepared for when, not if one hits. Especially the "Big One" which many say could be any day/week/month/year.

This is solid advice. And if you live in earthquake country you should have an emergency package/kit at all times (including non-perishable food and several days if not weeks worth of water among other items)...

https://www.earthquakecountry.org/dropcoverholdon/
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I remember watching a documentary about the 1964 (I think) Alaska earthquake when I was at school. Utter devastation.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:With this latest 7.0 earthquake in Anchorage Alaska (our own Kidhawk was one of them affected) it is vital for those of us to be prepared for when, not if one hits. Especially the "Big One" which many say could be any day/week/month/year.

This is solid advice. And if you live in earthquake country you should have an emergency package/kit at all times (including non-perishable food and several days if not weeks worth of water among other items)...

https://www.earthquakecountry.org/dropcoverholdon/

Excellent advice my friend! :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Good advice, not unlike those of us that live in Hurricane prone areas.

Hell, y’all are also living with the threat of another volcano eruption.

Reality is with these things is, it’s not “if”, it’s “when”, after the fact is always too late to prepare.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Living in Orting, if Mt Rainier erupts or even shakes real hard the lahar will reach my town in about 45 minutes and will be between 50 and 500 feet deep. So I'll be dead anyway, unless I can get my motorcycle out via the bicycle trail. There's no way anybody is evacuating on the Orting Highway, that 6-mile POS road takes an hour to traverse in normal rush hour conditions!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I was in the epicenter during the 6.8 Nisqually quake and it did some serious damage
    Anything stronger would be major devastation
    Power was out here everywhere for days and buildings all over were cracked , crumbling and wrecked and had to be demolished in some cases
    I have a 5000 watt generator and tons of other toys just in case which I also had to use when we had the downburst in lacey a year and a half ago that dropped over a thousand trees and knocked out power for a few days taking out power poles by the dozens
    Some major roadways were blocked for days so traffic was a mess and many stores to buy supplies were out of power as well
    You can NEVER be too prepared folks
    Go Hawks
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

• Amen you can NEVER be too prepared and I agree, the big one is coming. Tomorrow? A week from now? A month? 6 months? A year? 10 years? Doesn't matter.

BE PREPARED.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Also, remember to rotate that food out as a course of usage. In other words, use it and replenish it. Dont let it go bad. Safety as well as intelligence is warranted. Every so often, dump water jugs and refill them. I have 7 gallon ones for camping that are full because of power outages. Ya never know.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:Living in Orting, if Mt Rainier erupts or even shakes real hard the lahar will reach my town in about 45 minutes and will be between 50 and 500 feet deep. So I'll be dead anyway, unless I can get my motorcycle out via the bicycle trail. There's no way anybody is evacuating on the Orting Highway, that 6-mile POS road takes an hour to traverse in normal rush hour conditions!

We live in Crystal Ridge, a housing development off of Shaw Road above the Orting valley..........and we always laugh when we hear the Lahar test siren going off, because we know it won't matter, ain't no way in hell all those people are getting out in time on the two lane highway. It'll just be a human wick.

I also read that the siren can only be heard by about 30-40% of the valley residents.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    GeekHawk wrote:Living in Orting, if Mt Rainier erupts or even shakes real hard the lahar will reach my town in about 45 minutes and will be between 50 and 500 feet deep. So I'll be dead anyway, unless I can get my motorcycle out via the bicycle trail. There's no way anybody is evacuating on the Orting Highway, that 6-mile POS road takes an hour to traverse in normal rush hour conditions!

We live in Crystal Ridge, a housing development off of Shaw Road above the Orting valley..........and we always laugh when we hear the Lahar test siren going off, because we know it won't matter, ain't no way in hell all those people are getting out in time on the two lane highway. It'll just be a human wick.

I also read that the siren can only be heard by about 30-40% of the valley residents.

So if we live so close, why haven't we had a brewski and watched a game together yet? You know, before I die in a lahar.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Sgt. Largent wrote:I also read that the siren can only be heard by about 30-40% of the valley residents.

Pardon? Didn't quite catch that... :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information