Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Outer Worlds: Firefly meets Fallout?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Outer Worlds: Firefly meets Fallout?
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:34 pm
  • Heard about this trailer a few days ago, finally saw it.

Count me in.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Looks like it might be good.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Looks pretty good. Not Cyberpunk 2077 good, but good enough to play.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Heard about this trailer a few days ago, finally saw it.

Count me in.

OOOOOOOOOOH!

Thanks for sharing Maulbert. This looks right up my alley. :)
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• God, I hope this is as good as it looks.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Really curious to see what Starfield is going to look like compared to this. Meh...prolly just have to play both. :lol:
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:Really curious to see what Starfield is going to look like compared to this. Meh...prolly just have to play both. :lol:

Starfield won't be out for another year and a half at least. This comes out in October.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• I've never played a Fallout game, but I'll consider giving this a go as long as it doesn't have that stupid V.A.T.S. shooting mechanic.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:I've never played a Fallout game, but I'll consider giving this a go as long as it doesn't have that stupid V.A.T.S. shooting mechanic.

You've never played a Fallout game.

How can you criticize VATS if you've never played it?

BTW, VATS is completely optional from Fallout 3 onward. You can absolutely fire from the hip if you want. VATS is just for people who struggle with real-time combat.

Also, VATS stands for Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System. It's a reference to the company who built the vaults in-game. Bethesda owns Fallout, Obsidian is making The Outer Worlds. So no, VATS will not be in it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Nope delete it! If mine wasnt allowed this isnt.
    TheObsidianOrder
    NET Bench Warmer

• TheObsidianOrder wrote:Nope delete it! If mine wasnt allowed this isnt.

:lol:

7 posts ever, and you're going to dictate to the mods what is and isn't allowed?

Good luck bud.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    TheObsidianOrder wrote:Nope delete it! If mine wasnt allowed this isnt.

7 posts ever, and you're going to dictate to the mods what is and isn't allowed?

Good luck bud.

Is this about that blatant ad for World of Warships the other day?
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I've never played a Fallout game, but I'll consider giving this a go as long as it doesn't have that stupid V.A.T.S. shooting mechanic.

BTW, VATS is completely optional from Fallout 3 onward. You can absolutely fire from the hip if you want. VATS is just for people who struggle with real-time combat.

Also, VATS stands for Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System. It's a reference to the company who built the vaults in-game. Bethesda owns Fallout, Obsidian is making The Outer Worlds. So no, VATS will not be in it.

I can criticize it because I don't like those types of shooting mechanics in games. I don't think I have to experience it to understand how it works and know I won't like it. It's not like it's a serious critique where I get into the nitty gritty of it either, I'm just not interested in a game with shooting mechanics like it much like I'm not interested in the mechanics of various RTS games, platformers, etc.

If there are different spots on an enemy that produce a critical hit, I'd rather aim at it in real time and be rewarded for my precision than have the game go into ultra easy mode. Similar to this, I don't like using Dead Eye in RDR2 because it makes it waaaay too easy.

I also know it's not a Fallout title, but it's by the original creators of Fallout so who knows if they'll implement something similar, even if it's not called VATS.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:I've never played a Fallout game, but I'll consider giving this a go as long as it doesn't have that stupid V.A.T.S. shooting mechanic.

I can criticize it because I don't like those types of shooting mechanics in games. I don't think I have to experience it to understand how it works and know I won't like it. It's not like it's a serious critique where I get into the nitty gritty of it either, I'm just not interested in a game with shooting mechanics like it much like I'm not interested in the mechanics of various RTS games, platformers, etc.

If there are different spots on an enemy that produce a critical hit, I'd rather aim at it in real time and be rewarded for my precision than have the game go into ultra easy mode. Similar to this, I don't like using Dead Eye in RDR2 because it makes it waaaay too easy.

I also know it's not a Fallout title, but it's by the original creators of Fallout so who knows if they'll implement something similar, even if it's not called VATS.

It's optional on Fallout just like Red Dead. Early game VATS isn't even accurate and you're better off not using it at that point anyway so you can focus on other skills and what not. I played Inquisition as a live action as well. You actually have a choice and there is no way you can sell that as something wrong.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• VATS is where it's at, man!

No seriously though... VATS is ok for guns... works pretty good for pistols as they have low scores, and for snipers with high agility (without high agility you are never going to have enough points to get off more than 1 shot if you use a scope... a scope takes about half your action points away).

But I really don't use VATS for guns...

What I do use it for is MELEE baby... built a character with 6 strength, 9 agility, and 5 luck... bump luck to 6 (you want to get grim reaper's sprint ASAP) --- skill up Big leagues, Blitz, and blacksmith... as soon as you can...

Get yourself the 40% VATS reduction baseball bat in Diamond City from the dude who sells swatters...

GO
    TO
    TOWN

Teleporting all over the map and bashing everything's skull via VATS Blitzing is the most insane fun you can have in Fallout 4.

It even deflects nuclear blasts, like you go up a mutant suicider and send him flying into the air in a mushroom cloud, or run up to the zumanji outpost where that Raider named Boomer has a Fatman -- you target him and blitz as he launches the nuke and you slam into his nuclear blast and deflect it back on the camp and kill a half dozen raiders at once and your vault dweller isn't even scratched.

It's so awesome!...

It's the closest thing I've found to a Vanguard in ME2 and ME3. ;)

Make sure you have the nuka world DLC so you can find all the bat mods -- like rocket bat mods, et.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Good luck bud.

Both advertise the dang game and yet mines free.... So how is mine wrong? I didnt see no damn rules stating against it i checked :).
    TheObsidianOrder
    NET Bench Warmer

• TheObsidianOrder wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Good luck bud.

Both advertise the dang game and yet mines free.... So how is mine wrong? I didnt see no damn rules stating against it i checked :).

Please check again. There are rules. Your post included a link to an outside vendor, whereas the OP is just a youtube trailer.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• TheObsidianOrder wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Good luck bud.

Please. You posted a link to a game designed to hook people and make them keep paying money, trying to get new victims. I posted two trailers for a game that's not even out yet to discuss it. If you can't see the difference, you're worse than a shill.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert, vin.couve12 and Z, thanks for the insight. Sounds like I misunderstood how it affected the later games.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:Maulbert, vin.couve12 and Z, thanks for the insight. Sounds like I misunderstood how it affected the later games.

Yeah, you have sights and scopes from 3 on, and can freely aim without VATS. I will also say while I prefer 3 and New Vegas, 4 easily has better combat, and you can mod your weapons with all kinds of sights and scopes you want.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Bullshit the link is to where you can get rewards just by signing up from the link. Other than that its still just a free game you dont have to spend money on and yet you spend money on other games that do? Either way its advertising a damn game doesnt matter if its free to play or not.
    TheObsidianOrder
    NET Bench Warmer

• TheObsidianOrder wrote:Bullshit the link is to where you can get rewards just by signing up from the link. Other than that its still just a free game you dont have to spend money on and yet you spend money on other games that do? Either way its advertising a damn game doesnt matter if its free to play or not.

You were trying to get people to play a microtransaction-fueled nightmare.

I couldn't give 2 shits if anyone else plays The Outer Worlds. I was just discussing it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information