Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Best "blue collar" job?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Best "blue collar" job?
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 pm
  • As a ups driver with no college degree , I often wonder what the best blue collar job is?? I think it would be hard to argue against our job.

We are union, have incredible healthcare, tons of paid time off, optional paid days off, a great pension , 401k and we make over 100k a year .

We basically work alone, never get bothered and clock in and out. There is always work and overtime is as much as you want .

Thoughts ?
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Re: Best "blue collar" job?
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:As a ups driver with no college degree , I often wonder what the best blue collar job is?? I think it would be hard to argue against our job.

We are union, have incredible healthcare, tons of paid time off, optional paid days off, a great pension , 401k and we make over 100k a year .

We basically work alone, never get bothered and clock in and out. There is always work and overtime is as much as you want .

Thoughts ?

I have also heard it takes sometimes years to get to be full time, having to work peak times to get enough seniority to be able to be full time.

Be it helper or warehouse to get a shot at a driver job. Even then it's not necessarily full time till you get more seniority.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:37 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:As a ups driver with no college degree , I often wonder what the best blue collar job is?? I think it would be hard to argue against our job.

Thoughts ?

I have also heard it takes sometimes years to get to be full time, having to work peak times to get enough seniority to be able to be full time.

Be it helper or warehouse to get a shot at a driver job. Even then it's not necessarily full time till you get more seniority.

It used to take years, but now its typically a year or less... We are understaffed, you start out part time in the hub . you have to go through a week long training class and pass, then you have a 30 day pre seniority period.... If you pass that you get seniority . its around a 65 % wash out rate .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:39 am
  • Sounds like you are Happy doing what you do.

This is a very subjective question though.

“Best” blue collar job?

As you describe your job, it absolutely sounds like a great job but the next guy/gal may not think so for various reasons.

I enjoy what I do, I only work 9 days a month, unless I choose to pick up extra shifts. I have good benefits, and make a decent annual. Having said that, my job is not for everyone.

I think it boils down too this.

What do you like to do?
    Can you “make a living” doing it?

Obviously “make a living” is subjective as well.
    IMHO if you can live a lifestyle that you enjoy, on the wages you make, and you enjoy what you’re doing, you are successful.

On the flip side, if you make millions but hate what you do and find it hard to go to work each day...etc.

I think the “best” job, is the job that’s best for you/me.
    I think the best job for you/me, might be a terrible job for someone else.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 am
  • Working in the hub was a great part time college job too. 20-25 hours a week with sick leave, vacation, pension and medical/dental. Overtime after the first 5 hours each day (which during November/December was almost every day for those who wanted it.)
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:15 am
  • The Longshore gig ain't all that bad. :D

Flexible hours, no real boss, great pay, great benefits, and great views.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:18 am
  • I imagine being a UPS or FedEx driver is a job you can only do for about 20 - 25 years before your body starts saying no. Plus, I see first-hand the damage all that sun exposure does to people's skin when they work a job where they are exposed to it all day.

But hey, to each their own.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am
  • My Navy rating was pretty white collar, but my career was equal amounts white collar and blue collar, as I did a ton of deploying and war zone stuff.

I think I'd have to say that being a Naval Aircrewman was one of the most rewarding and fun jobs I've ever had. It was dangerous, and had the potential for serious injury, death, capture, etc., large amounts of the time, but man was it fun! Some of the time you're working your ass off doing fascinating stuff, some of the time you're bored to tears, but even then you're up above the clouds enjoying a sunny day even during the worst weather. The camaraderie is off the charts, lot of extra pay and tax-free months, and a lot of travel to some pretty cool (and scorching hot!) places.

As I haven't had a lot of great jobs other than my Navy career, that's the best I can offer, but I'd put it right up there with the best of them.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:33 pm
  • I work for an Army Hospital as a Federal Employee (Logistics). M-F, 40 hrs a week. OT is available for those who want. I make $36.87 an hours with a very healthy benefits package. Mostly I ensure band-aids, saline bags, needles, and whatever else is at the clinical areas and ready to use.

Nothing glorious, but workin with Soldiers is fun and rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:45 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:The Longshore gig ain't all that bad. :D

...And if anybody threatens your work culture or jobs, you just disappear 'em like the mafia.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:45 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I imagine being a UPS or FedEx driver is a job you can only do for about 20 - 25 years before your body starts saying no. Plus, I see first-hand the damage all that sun exposure does to people's skin when they work a job where they are exposed to it all day.

There is a lot of truth in this, I retired from the airlines and got bored so now I drive for FedEx, it most certainly takes a toll on your body, I dropped 35 lbs since Aug 1st, I love what I do but it Is tough for an old timer like me (47) everything hurts but damn I look good :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 pm
  • Ambrose83 wrote:As a ups driver with no college degree , I often wonder what the best blue collar job is?? I think it would be hard to argue against our job.

Thoughts ?

Don't you need to have a perfect driving record to qualify though?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:As a ups driver with no college degree , I often wonder what the best blue collar job is?? I think it would be hard to argue against our job.

Thoughts ?

Not perfect but pretty close .

Don't you need to have a perfect driving record to qualify though?
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:06 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I imagine being a UPS or FedEx driver is a job you can only do for about 20 - 25 years before your body starts saying no. Plus, I see first-hand the damage all that sun exposure does to people's skin when they work a job where they are exposed to it all day.

It is certainly tough on the body but if you keep yourself active and watch your steps you will be fine .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Thoughts ?

UPS is a young man’s job. ....and you guys get killed this time of year.
    If you like it and your body can take it, that’s awesome.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:28 pm
  • I have a buddy who has been driving for UPS for 25+ years. He earned his stripes and did a busy route for many years, and recently got an absolute cake route and is loving life. He makes $100k+ a year and has great benefits.

My brother worked for UPS doing warehousing while in college and enjoyed it.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:

Thoughts ?

I'm 35 so if that's young ? And yes we get killed this time of year .. Luckily I have a pretty sweet route so its not that bad .
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:I'm 35 so if that's young ?

I wouldn't say 35 is young, but it sure isn't old.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:35 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Thoughts ?

I'm 35 so if that's young ? And yes we get killed this time of year .. Luckily I have a pretty sweet route so its not that bad .

When you’re almost 50 it is. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:The Longshore gig ain't all that bad. :D

...And if anybody threatens your work culture or jobs, you just disappear 'em like the mafia.

Please tell me more, you seem to know a lot about Longshoring.
    Flyingsquad23
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:16 pm
  • Flyingsquad23 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:The Longshore gig ain't all that bad. :D

Please tell me more, you seem to know a lot about Longshoring.

From Rolands perspective it has a lot of sand and smells bad. :P
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 am
  • When I finished my 25 years of working as a medical research assistant in a neurogastroenterology lab, when my boss stopped doing full-time research, I could not find another job in the field. Applied for maybe 70 jobs, in 6 months, without a single interview.

At the time, my wife was a seamstress at a small factory making window blinds, and her boss said I could work there, if I liked, while I continued looking for work in my scientific field. He said to give it a week, and if I hated it, I'd hate it forever, no problem in trying.

I stayed there for almost 6 years, until we were both laid off, due to lack of work. I then worked in two more similar factories for another three years, eventually getting laid off from both, also due to lack of work, whereupon I retired three years ago.

But I enjoyed the nine years of factory work, despite the sometimes brutal heat, and the lifting (which really was not that bad). At not much more than $20 an hour, it didn't pay that well, but since we've long since owned our own house... you don't need a huge income, with no accommodation expenses.

Now happily retired, and loving it! Still always get up at 7AM on weekdays, for self-discipline... heck, it beats 5:45AM! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:04 am
  • When I was unemployed from one of my factory window-blind-making jobs, I asked a local courier if I could spend a day on the road with one of their drivers, to see if I'd like to do that, which involved buying your own ute/van/whatever.

I HATED it!

Now, here it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, unless it is hands-free, with good reason, given the safety issues of inattentiveness. YET, this guy drove a manual ute, and talked on a relic of a microphone where he had to pick up the mike, press a button, talk, and then release the button to await a reply! A disaster waiting to happen, in my hands, I thought.

THEN, one of the jobs we got to was a delivery of doors to a building site. IF I'd been alone driving, I'd have had to lift them all, with no help. Of course I helped the driver carry the doors, through all the bloody mud [1] but I could not have carried them myself, and the driver said NO WAY would anyone on the building site help with the lifting.

I don't know why I did this, as I dislike driving in general, and am not always the most confident on the roads.

[1] Why is there always mud on a building site, even when there has been no rain? :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information