Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Mitch Unfiltered

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mitch Unfiltered
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:37 pm
  • Really enjoying Mitch Levy's podcasts.

I used to listen to his morning show back when I lived in Seattle. I always thought he was talented, but his cocky/abrasive nature put me off from time to time.

Not being in Seattle, I knew nothing of what had happened to him, but he fills it in on his first podcast... never thought I'd hear that guy as humbled as he was.

Some times the worst things in life, suffering a terrible humiliation and having your life blown up, people can double down and just go into the hole, or they can figure out they were on the wrong path and do a reverse course. I think Mitch is the latter.

He explains in the first episode how unhappy he used to be, how he was a miserable person - and when he lost everything it was a real wakeup call. He got some help and now he's doing podcasts.

That cocky/abrasive thing is all but gone, and personally, I think he's the better for it. He's WAY more positive, IMO.

Also, love podcasts over any broadcast media, so it's great.

There are 7 episodes up, recent link: http://mitchunfiltered.libsyn.com/website/episode-7-george-kittle
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Re: Mitch Unfiltered
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:53 pm
  • Cool, I will have to check them out. Good to hear how he has turned things around. I used to listen to him on the way to work every morning for years and I felt pretty much the same way about him you did, and I imagine many did. I heard a little about his fall from grace but didn't know much about it and always wondered what became of him. Thanks for the tip.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:51 am
  • That first episode is some powerful stuff.

Mitch had obviously hit rock bottom but didn't realize it at the time.

I'm really glad he got help and is rebuilding his life.

Thanks so much for the link
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:13 pm
  • Agreed, I listened to that first podcast and it was heartfelt to say the least. There's no acting there. That's raw emotion. The older I get the more empathy I feel for others and I feel we are all worth a second chance (and more depending on the action taken). Mitch was un-apologetically humble and sorry to the point it was almost uncomfortable to listen to, as if we were the proverbial fly in the room of a therapy session.

Good for him for making no excuses, owning up to his actions and taking ownership. I wish him well.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm
  • Never could stand the guy, and maybe he has changed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this was an act.
    I believe in 2nd chances and as a human being I hope he really has changed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this was schtick to get another radio gig. Color me skeptical.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 am
  • Did you listen to it Hernia?

If it was an act then he should be nominated for awards.

Much like Todd stated above, I too felt uncomfortable at times listening to it.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:33 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Never could stand the guy, and maybe he has changed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this was an act.
    I believe in 2nd chances and as a human being I hope he really has changed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this was schtick to get another radio gig. Color me skeptical.

Either you didn't listen to it or you are pretty jaded. Dude was oozing contriteness from his guts inside and out.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 am
  • The sports radio talk shows in the Seattle market are so bad these days .... it's nice to hear mitch again.
    Russellmania3
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 am
  • Aros wrote:Agreed, I listened to that first podcast and it was heartfelt to say the least. There's no acting there. That's raw emotion. The older I get the more empathy I feel for others and I feel we are all worth a second chance (and more depending on the action taken). Mitch was un-apologetically humble and sorry to the point it was almost uncomfortable to listen to, as if we were the proverbial fly in the room of a therapy session.

Good for him for making no excuses, owning up to his actions and taking ownership. I wish him well.

I also wish Mitch well, I'm always down for 2nd chances if the person is earnest and contrite.

But I never liked Mitch, he had utter disdain for his listeners and was a general ass to most of the people around him (Fish his other co-hosts, producers through the years and even longtime guests like John Feinstein and others who Mitch acted like a jerk too). Very few people left his show on good terms.

So good to hear he has a podcast for those that do like him, and I wish him well. But no thanks.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm
  • Just a question on this Sgt....if the possibility exists that Mitch had behaved that way in the past due to his illness, would that change your perspective?
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:Just a question on this Sgt....if the possibility exists that Mitch had behaved that way in the past due to his illness, would that change your perspective?

What illness is that?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm
  • Depression
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 pm
  • acer1240 wrote:Depression

I know a lot of people with depression, including immediate family..........and it doesn't make you be an a-hole and go get a rub and a tug at an asian bath house that employs sex traffic workers.

So no, it doesn't change my opinion of Mitch.

Like I said, I'm glad he's sorry for what he did, and trying to rebuild his life. But it doesn't change my opinion of what I thought of him for 20 years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    acer1240 wrote:Depression

I know a lot of people with depression, including immediate family..........and it doesn't make you be an a-hole and go get a rub and a tug at an asian bath house that employs sex traffic workers.

So no, it doesn't change my opinion of Mitch.

Like I said, I'm glad he's sorry for what he did, and trying to rebuild his life. But it doesn't change my opinion of what I thought of him for 20 years.

You said it better than I ever could have. You nailed how I feel about the guy.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:33 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Never could stand the guy, and maybe he has changed, but it wouldn’t surprise me if this was an act.

Either you didn't listen to it or you are pretty jaded. Dude was oozing contriteness from his guts inside and out.

Read what Sgt Largent said about the guy. That’s exactly how I feel.

I don’t hold sports radio hosts in high regard anyhow, infact I think they (outside of Clayton and maybe Wyman) are pretty much scum, so if my feelings about the guy or his previous profession make jaded or an A-hole, I guess I’ll have to live with that.

Sports radio to me is like “reality TV”. Made to be controversial and get reactions.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:11 pm
  • Still curious if you actually listened to the entire episode. I have no problem with your stance or Sgts...We are all entitled to our opinions but listening to the episode it's hard to imagine there was any ulterior motive. Seemed to me that he was broken and wanting to come clean for his actions. It's clear that his pain and suffering stems mostly from the pain and suffering he caused his wife and children.

It's powerful shit that transcends agenda, IMO.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 pm
  • I always enjoyed Mitch. His sense of humor just worked for me. I've been out of the Seattle market for 16+ years now and so that's about how long it's been since I've listened to him. Cool to hear he has a podcast and now I'm looking forward to checking it out.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 am
  • Aros wrote:Still curious if you actually listened to the entire episode. I have no problem with your stance or Sgts...We are all entitled to our opinions but listening to the episode it's hard to imagine there was any ulterior motive. Seemed to me that he was broken and wanting to come clean for his actions. It's clear that his pain and suffering stems mostly from the pain and suffering he caused his wife and children.

It's powerful shit that transcends agenda, IMO.

Absolutely I did. I listened to the first episode and 15 minutes of the second before I had to shut it off as he takes 10 minutes to get to a point that should take 30 seconds.

No doubt his father’s death kind of sent him in a downhill spiral, plus him having esteem problems with dealing with aging/physical appearance.

One thing that struck me as odd is he brought up his sponsors at least 3 different occasions in the interview. That seemed misplaced.

I’m glad for his family’s sake he and they have gotten therapy and continue to do so. Those are the people I feel bad and feel empathy for, not Mitch Levy. He had a dream gig and blew it. IMHO it wasn’t only depression that took him down but his huge EGO. Ask someone that worked with him for years some time how he was to work with, you’ll likely not get a rosy picture.

I can also guarantee you this wasn’t the first time he had gotten “a rub and a tug” from an illeagal prostitution/human trafficking ring.

.....and I’m not a prude, I’m not against LEGAL prostitution in a regulated situation (see parts of rural Nevada where brothels are legal) where the woman has a choice and free will to work in that industry and can leave when she wants.

Also, Mitch Levy doesn’t owe me an apology, he was just a hack on the radio, and I’m just a Joe Nobody driving to work.

Maybe he has changed, maybe his show will all of the sudden be listenenable, maybe he won’t be an A-hole on and off the air anymore, maybe he has changed for the better. I’m not betting the house on it though.
    Last edited by Sports Hernia on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:52 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I always enjoyed Mitch. His sense of humor just worked for me. I've been out of the Seattle market for 16+ years now and so that's about how long it's been since I've listened to him. Cool to hear he has a podcast and now I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Different strokes for different folks. Humor, like many things is subjective.
    I didn’t find him funny at all. I guess I’m the odd duck. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:One thing that struck me as odd is he brought up his sponsors at least 3 different occasions in the interview. That seemed misplaced..

That's how you make money in podcasting, so my guess is Mitch, just as any podcast trying to make money has to read a certain amount of ad spots during the podcast.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:One thing that struck me as odd is he brought up his sponsors at least 3 different occasions in the interview. That seemed misplaced..

That's how you make money in podcasting, so my guess is Mitch, just as any podcast trying to make money has to read a certain amount of ad spots during the podcast.

I’m sure you are right about that, It just seemed odd and maybe a bit self serving. I can see it once, but three times?
    Maybe l’m nitpicking, but it stood out as odd.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:One thing that struck me as odd is he brought up his sponsors at least 3 different occasions in the interview. That seemed misplaced..

I’m sure you are right about that, It just seemed odd and maybe a bit self serving. I can see it once, but three times?
    Maybe l’m nitpicking, but it stood out as odd.

It is weird. I listen to quite a few podcasts, and it can be off putting when they're on a serious subject and all of a sudden the host changes gears and says "DON'T FORGET LISTENERS, AUTOMATIC 20% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER OF BUTCHER BOX, JUST TYPE IN MY NAME IN THE CODE SECTION OF YOUR ORDER!!!"

But those spots pay the bills, just like ads on terrestrial radio.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:57 pm
  • If you listened, those three sponsors were the only advertisers willing to support his podcast.

That obviously meant a lot to him.

I can absolutely understand not liking his style, absolutely. Taste in your entertainment personality is entirely subjective.

I just won't get behind blanket statements that some people have made (not so much here, but in other places) that he's not deserving of a second chance.

We live in a messed up society right now, that's created nothing less than total rule by mob mentality, and of course every member of the mob is holy and qualified to pass out judgement and sentencing based on "how I feel" at any given moment. Being able to hide your sins behind a veil of anonymity makes it that much more tempting.

Here's a guy like Mitch, who's not hiding what he's been, and he's saying - I was this way, I'm owning it, and I'm changing my life.

I respect that, and if his wife, the person he actually committed the most grievous and painful insult to, is willing to forgive, can I do less? Can I claim to know him better than her? I think not.

Am I wary of Mitch? Not at all... he's pretty transparent at this point. Who I am wary of are the faceless members of any mob who scream "scumbag" from the protective shelter of anonymity. I do not trust finger pointers, because in my experience, people most willing to point fingers are the ones with the deeper issues - there's a psychological trait called "transference" - and it rears it's head all the time in the people willing to rush to judgement.

Walk through the halls of an insane asylum and you'll get that crazy person who comes right up to you and points to you and says "You're crazy!"

Notice how compulsive liars are so willing to say "Liar!" to anyone who countermands them?

Notice how crazy dudes with insane sexual dysfunctions and uncontrollable desires, you know, like Ridgeway, decide to go out and murder prostitutes because they are "whores"?

Transference.

That is why people who take very harsh stands always unnerve me a little bit... and why I am more comfortable around people who forgive easily, and why I always try to forgive, even if sometimes I get played for a sucker.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:55 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:If you listened, those three sponsors were the only advertisers willing to support his podcast.

That obviously meant a lot to him.

I can absolutely understand not liking his style, absolutely. Taste in your entertainment personality is entirely subjective.

I just won't get behind blanket statements that some people have made (not so much here, but in other places) that he's not deserving of a second chance.

We live in a messed up society right now, that's created nothing less than total rule by mob mentality, and of course every member of the mob is holy and qualified to pass out judgement and sentencing based on "how I feel" at any given moment. Being able to hide your sins behind a veil of anonymity makes it that much more tempting.

Here's a guy like Mitch, who's not hiding what he's been, and he's saying - I was this way, I'm owning it, and I'm changing my life.

I respect that, and if his wife, the person he actually committed the most grievous and painful insult to, is willing to forgive, can I do less? Can I claim to know him better than her? I think not.

Am I wary of Mitch? Not at all... he's pretty transparent at this point. Who I am wary of are the faceless members of any mob who scream "scumbag" from the protective shelter of anonymity. I do not trust finger pointers, because in my experience, people most willing to point fingers are the ones with the deeper issues - there's a psychological trait called "transference" - and it rears it's head all the time in the people willing to rush to judgement.

Walk through the halls of an insane asylum and you'll get that crazy person who comes right up to you and points to you and says "You're crazy!"

Notice how compulsive liars are so willing to say "Liar!" to anyone who countermands them?

Notice how crazy dudes with insane sexual dysfunctions and uncontrollable desires, you know, like Ridgeway, decide to go out and murder prostitutes because they are "whores"?

Transference.

That is why people who take very harsh stands always unnerve me a little bit... and why I am more comfortable around people who forgive easily, and why I always try to forgive, even if sometimes I get played for a sucker.

I respectfully disagree with some of what you posted here, but I’ve already posted too much on a guy who’s radioshow I never cared for. I’m all for 2nd chances, but this guy put himself in the position he’s in, no one else, so if he doesn’t get one, that’s on him.

I think he’s done in the Seattle radio market, as the prostitution charge will be toxic.
    He will do his podcasts, but I think a market he could get into would be Portland, maybe 180 miles to the south would be enough distance for someone on the sportsradio dial to give him a chance?
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    I respectfully disagree with some of what you posted here, but I’ve already posted too much on a guy who’s radioshow I never cared for. I’m all for 2nd chances, but this guy put himself in the position he’s in, no one else, so if he doesn’t get one, that’s on him.

I think he’s done in the Seattle radio market, as the prostitution charge will be toxic.
    He will do his podcasts, but I think a market he could get into would be Portland, maybe 180 miles to the south would be enough distance for someone on the sportsradio dial to give him a chance?

Just telling it like it is...

In any case, I thought I'd drop a link to the podcast for some people, especially folks like me who moved out of the NW many years ago and remembered him, I check back a few days later and the thread is knee deep! *shrug*

Now, if you want an example of local obnoxious radio personality -- once upon a time, before even the days of Mitch and Fish, there was the.... "Fabulous Sports Babe" :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

I still can't figure out why a radio station from Seattle hired a sports commentator that hated Seattle and all its teams and used her 3 hours on air every day to make her co-hosts miserable and tell us all how our Sonics, Huskies, Seahawks, and Mariners suck, and how we are all losers from "Hooterville" and will forever be losers... and that we'd never win a Superbowl, et.

And people tuned into her show!

It was like the entire Seattle sports market was into self-flagellation or something.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:19 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:

Just telling it like it is...

In any case, I thought I'd drop a link to the podcast for some people, especially folks like me who moved out of the NW many years ago and remembered him, I check back a few days later and the thread is knee deep! *shrug*

Now, if you want an example of local obnoxious radio personality -- once upon a time, before even the days of Mitch and Fish, there was the.... "Fabulous Sports Babe" :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

I still can't figure out why a radio station from Seattle hired a sports commentator that hated Seattle and all its teams and used her 3 hours on air every day to make her co-hosts miserable and tell us all how our Sonics, Huskies, Seahawks, and Mariners suck, and how we are all losers from "Hooterville" and will forever be losers... and that we'd never win a Superbowl, et.

And people tuned into her show!

It was like the entire Seattle sports market was into self-flagellation or something.

Trust me, I remember the fabulous sports babe, which she was neither. She had a personality of a fence post (no offense meant towards fence posts) .

You like who you like, if you like Mitch, more power to you. Don’t let me or anyone else get in the way of what you enjoy.
    He always came across to me as an unfunny blowhard who’s ego was so big he could barely get his head thru the door.
    That’s just one guy’s opinion FWIW. 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:54 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Trust me, I remember the fabulous sports babe, which she was neither. She had a personality of a fence post (no offense meant towards fence posts) .

You like who you like, if you like Mitch, more power to you. Don’t let me or anyone else get in the way of what you enjoy.
    He always came across to me as an unfunny blowhard who’s ego was so big he could barely get his head thru the door.
    That’s just one guy’s opinion FWIW. 8)

I am a firm believer in the mantra "It's just my opinion, man...." I respect most opinions, so long as the opinioner doesn't think themselves irrevocably correct.

There are people on this site I disagree with on one thing, then agree with on another, and then at one point the thing I disagree with them about I might eventually change my mind on.

I think that's the point of a community forum: discussion.

But there's this weird thing in our society lately, of even on this website, where we can't have a discussion or disagree with someone without someone getting bent sideways about it and just going off on the person they disagree with. It's, quite frankly, bizarre and unsettling.

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, when I was typing out code in basic, fortran, pascal, et. and watching the first internet forums go up, I thought: "Man, this is going to change the world, it's going to make it a better place.. we can all have rational discussions about everything and compromise will be so much easier!"

You want to talk about a thing I was completely head up my ass wrong about... jesus...
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:22 pm
  • Your first 3 paragraphs are spot on. :2thumbs:
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information