Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Christmas weather...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Christmas weather...
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 pm
  • Mine is surely the worst:

Dec 24 max 34C/93F
    Dec 25 max 35C/95F
    Dec 26 max 41C/106F
    Dec 27 max 38C/101F

UGH.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Christmas weather...
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26 pm
  • A little warmer than home, to be sure.

Here, it's raining and 46F. Back home in the Philippines, to which I return shortly(!) it's a balmy 83F.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:01 am
  • Back home for me in Alaska it's been snowy and in the teens Fahrenheit. Here in the UK it's currently highs of 12-13 C supposed to drop to single digits C for Christmas day so upper 40s
    kidhawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:22 am
  • We were in Mexico last year for Christmas, and it was REALLY weird seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of Christmas in a warm weather climate.

So I have no idea how you can handle 100 degrees on Christmas, that's just wrong.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:51 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:We were in Mexico last year for Christmas, and it was REALLY weird seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of Christmas in a warm weather climate.

So I have no idea how you can handle 100 degrees on Christmas, that's just wrong.

From a northerner's perspective, yeah, it's really weird seeing palm trees and hot weather for Christmas. It's more so when you live somewhere and it slowly approaches. The weather stays the same, and suddenly you think, it's Christmas! Aside from the decorations and music, it's hard to really get that Christmas feel about things.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:42 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:We were in Mexico last year for Christmas, and it was REALLY weird seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of Christmas in a warm weather climate.

From a northerner's perspective, yeah, it's really weird seeing palm trees and hot weather for Christmas. It's more so when you live somewhere and it slowly approaches. The weather stays the same, and suddenly you think, it's Christmas! Aside from the decorations and music, it's hard to really get that Christmas feel about things.

I was in country (Philippines) for Xmas in 83, 84, and 85 (having vacation from Korea) and it was kind of interesting. When I was in Guam, I got back to the states on Dec 15 into Idaho. It was a cold bear changing from nice hot humid 94F to 24F in 05. Stayed there a week in Philippines in 85, so I could hop out of there on the 2nd to Japan and then to korea. Learned about hops then. Made life interesting.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:We were in Mexico last year for Christmas, and it was REALLY weird seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of Christmas in a warm weather climate.

I was born in Yorkshire, England, but was only 3 when we moved to Australia. It's indeed silly we carry the cold-climate winter imagery of a Northern Hemisphere Christmas here. I'd hate to be a Father Christmas when it is stinking hot.

The worst Christmas heat I've experienced was 41C/106F in 2016, but the worst-ever in Adelaide was 1888 (43C/110F). Could you imagine... no air-conditioning of course, people cooking turkeys and the whole nine yards in that heat, on wood stoves. Well, it would have been almost all women doing the cooking back then, dressed to the nines in corsets and long frilly dresses - sheer hell.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:14 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Could you imagine... no air-conditioning of course, people cooking turkeys and the whole nine yards in that heat, on wood stoves. Well, it would have been almost all women doing the cooking back then, dressed to the nines in corsets and long frilly dresses - sheer hell.

Corsets? Just how old are ya? Like 150 years old or something!?
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:30 am
  • It is minus 6 degrees F right now and we will see a low around minus 16 degrees, cheers and Merry Christmas, :irishdrinkers:
    907Hawk
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:48 pm
  • 907Hawk wrote:It is minus 6 degrees F right now and we will see a low around minus 16 degrees, cheers and Merry Christmas, :irishdrinkers:

Thank you, and the same to you! Actually, I'm on a plane to Fairbanks now, so please pick me up at the airport, OK? I'll bring beer. :)

Do you have snow on the ground, and is it likely to actually snow on Christmas Day? Many years ago when we had a dreadful heatwave here, a radio station ran a competition, and the winner got flown to Anchorage for a week.

Looking forward to our Inside Passage cruise next April!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:57 am
  • Xmas eve 66 here

Xmas supposed to be closer to 70.

Probably a little warmer than the average for this part of Texas
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:55 pm
  • 27 Dec, 44C/112F a few minutes ago (3:30PM). I might have a gin and tonic, served in an old and chipped enamel mug.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:We were in Mexico last year for Christmas, and it was REALLY weird seeing and hearing the sounds and sights of Christmas in a warm weather climate.

I was born in Yorkshire, England, but was only 3 when we moved to Australia. It's indeed silly we carry the cold-climate winter imagery of a Northern Hemisphere Christmas here. I'd hate to be a Father Christmas when it is stinking hot.

The worst Christmas heat I've experienced was 41C/106F in 2016, but the worst-ever in Adelaide was 1888 (43C/110F). Could you imagine... no air-conditioning of course, people cooking turkeys and the whole nine yards in that heat, on wood stoves. Well, it would have been almost all women doing the cooking back then, dressed to the nines in corsets and long frilly dresses - sheer hell.

This sounds like some Mad Max dystopian movie far in the future when all the water on the planet is gone or something.

Crazy.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:00 am
  • Two days ago, when it was 44C/112F in Adelaide, it was 48C/119F in a place called (ironically)... Tarcoola, in the northern Outback desert of South Australia. That equals the hottest day I've ever experienced, in February 1980, which I remember vividly. I got a flat tyre on the way to work during Uni summer holidays... afternoon shift at a fruit cannery. 3PM - hottest time of the day. I wasn't doing well when I got to work, just in time, after changing the tyre. Water? Hydration?? Didn't think of things like that in those days! Even the pebbles in the road bitumen were a bit loose, I noticed.

Hell.

I pined for the Dales.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:19 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:Could you imagine... no air-conditioning of course, people cooking turkeys and the whole nine yards in that heat, on wood stoves. Well, it would have been almost all women doing the cooking back then, dressed to the nines in corsets and long frilly dresses - sheer hell.

I said, it was 1888... it's called history! :D :D :D

It was supposed by some to be the good old days! I would rather be unborn, than live in those times.

Of course, future people will say exactly that, about our times!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:08 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:Could you imagine... no air-conditioning of course, people cooking turkeys and the whole nine yards in that heat, on wood stoves. Well, it would have been almost all women doing the cooking back then, dressed to the nines in corsets and long frilly dresses - sheer hell.

It was supposed by some to be the good old days! I would rather be unborn, than live in those times.

Hahaha. In my drunkenness, I apparently thought it was a personal anecdote.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:30 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:

Hahaha. In my drunkenness, I apparently thought it was a personal anecdote.

Red Horse been beddy beddy good for you. :twisted:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:30 pm
  • This has been about the mildest winter in eastern WA I can remember lately. 2 years ago, non-stop snow, last year, cold af. This year, it snowed twice, immediately melted and was 50 degrees.

I like snow for about 2 days, so if this holds out, I won't complain. Bring on Spring!
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 am
  • Yeah, we in Adelaide journey to Marble Bar to get out of our heat. :)

Seriously, Marble Bar is a long way from here, thankfully, but it is forecast to be 41C/106F here tomorrow. It's alright for me (although I hate the heat); I'm retired, and can hole up at home, but my wife still has to do her aged care rounds in severe heat.

My childhood hometown was 45C/113F today, and a place much further north in the desert called Marree was 48C/119F. I'm worried some place is going to suffer the awful "distinction" of 50C/122F, one of these days.

Not a drop of rain here since December 16; a merciless overdose of sunshine (UGH) and heat (some cooler days, but not many) - I hate summer. I suppose it is good it is mathematically 50% over tomorrow.

The hottest temperature ever recorded in Australia was at a place called Oodnadatta (even further north than Marree, but still in South Australia)... 50.7 °C (123.3 °F) on 2 January 1960.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 am
  • It was 49C/120F today in Tarcoola and Port Augusta and supposedly even hotter (but not official) in a tiny place called Oak Valley... all in the northern outback areas of South Australia. 42C/108F in Adelaide. So sick of summer, but it is at least half over, calendarwise, FWIW.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information