Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

You haven't felt terror til you've played horror games in VR

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I bought an Oculus Go to wet my feet in the VR world a few months back when it was on sale. Got busy with the holidays and didn't check it out much until now. I've been playing some horror games lately, but I can't play more than like, 30-60 minutes at a time most of the time. I've always been a fan of horror games (and novels, and films), and there have been some scary-as-hell games made, such as the marine campaign in Aliens vs. Predator 2 from 2001, Amnesia from 2010, and Outlast from 2013.

The horror games I've been playing on the Oculus Go don't look very good visually (because it's just a cheap self-contained mobile VR headset running a customized Android OS), and it only has 3DoF (three degrees of freedom; meaning, you play everything sitting down or standing in one spot; it tracks head movement and looking around, but you need 6DoF to have your physical presence tracked in space; i.e., walking around in a room), but still...

I'm damn near soiling my pants. The level of immersion you get in horror games in VR is bigger than I anticipated, and I already expected a considerable jump. Some people may legitimately give themselves a heart attack playing horror games in VR. After seeing projects such as vorpX, which give you stereoscopic 3D in a variety of AAA PC gaming titles including Alien Isolation, Amnesia, Outlast, and several Resident Evil games...

Man. I am getting very tempted to buy an HTC Vive Pro. $1400 for the kit plus tax, and you need a pretty decent gaming PC to power it, as well. I fear if I pursue this, I may literally give myself a heart attack, though. Outlast and Alien Isolation are scary enough on a normal monitor. Playing it with a keyboard and mouse wearing a Vive Pro VR headset and being able to look around and "be" in the world, though...whew. It'd be beyond terrifying for those titles in particular.

So. Who here is a VR gamer, and have you tried playing horror titles with it?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:So. Who here is a VR gamer, and have you tried playing horror titles with it?

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to games, but horror titles? Roland, I used to get such bad nightmares (no apparent reason) I couldn't voluntarily subject myself to such.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I've been getting more and more interested lately, especially since being gifted a PS4 Pro. Been looking at some of the PlayStation VR kits. I know at the very least you can use the VR headset on the PS4 as a monitor itself so you don't have to take up the TV.

What games have you been playing on the VR headset, Roland? Alien Isolation would be craaaaaaaaaazy in VR.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Well all I have right now is the Oculus Go, so I'm limited to the Android-based games it supports; one-off cheap horror titles like Dead Secret Circle and Affected - The Manor. The urge is getting very strong to buy the HTC Vive or Vive Pro, however. (PC Master Race, I'm not getting a console VR headset, lol.)

You should pony up and buy a Vive, the first gen kit is only $500 now and has everything you need. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt., I'd take gaming/VR contacts so I can just have my screen(s) literally touching my eyeballs. :lol:

Roland, only reason I've really considered VR for PS4 is because it's a standard product for a standard console/platform. I'm not sure if there will be issues in the future for VR on PC because you have all the different VR headsets, kits, etc. and then every PC is different. Not sure I want to invest $500+ in a set that won't be compatible with certain games because of the hardware/headset I own. Or get awful performance in a game because it was made for a different VR kit, etc. Does that make sense?
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Most things that support Vive also support the Oculus Rift, and vice-versa. Vive is the #1 supported platform for PC VR, you wouldn't have regrets or many issues related to content at all if you bought a Vive. Just sayin'. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• JGfromtheNW wrote:Sgt., I'd take gaming/VR contacts so I can just have my screen(s) literally touching my eyeballs. :lol: ?

That's why I'm waiting for the Occulus implants before committing to a new game system. I want that VR hardwired into my brain!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Ok, I took the plunge. I'm now the proud owner of an HTC Vive Pro as of last night. :)

I've already purchased Skyrim VR, Beat Saber, Bitslap, BOXVR, and Soundboxing. I also purchased vorpX, the display driver mod that lets you play a bunch of regular PC games in stereoscopic 3D with your regular keyboard and mouse.

What a time to be alive.

Update:
    Beat Saber is fun, but not much exercise and has a very limited play list for songs. Gets exceptionally challenging, though; and it does have a nice polished feel overall.

Soundboxing is probably going to be an all-time favorite. It rewards harder punches more, and you can scale it to be smaller (if you want to play sitting in a chair) or larger (more effort/more of a workout since you have to reach farther), but the thing that makes it so awesome is you can search YouTube right in the game for songs and you can make your own "tracks" for songs - which people have done for seemingly millions of songs, so you can sit and play a game that gives your arms a crazy workout and enjoy listening to your favorite tunes. I had to stop because my arms felt like Jell-O, but I wanted to keep going, haha.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information