Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disney Plus - The Mandalorian & More

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Disney Plus - The Mandalorian & More
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:33 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    SanDiego49er wrote:I've heard people say good things about the Mandalorian. Is it really that good? I don't have Disney Plus. But I always liked the Star Wars genre. That Sci Fi world always appealed to me a lot. The Star Wars Universe is a great Universe.

It's been okay although episodes are only about 35 minutes long. I like it better than the reboot movies already. I'm sure you can find other sources online to watch.

The reboot movies are so bad. Bad casting, bad character development, bad story, bad directing. They are just action and special effects with the Star Wars stamp on them to draw a crowd. I hear great things about this Mandalorian. I wish it was a little longer than 35 minutes. That's a little short. But I guess it is OK. It's better than nothing. At least they are doing some interesting things with the Star Wars theme and keeping it going.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:58 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:I like it better than the reboot movies already.

Bingo. This is the main reason I'm really liking it thus far; despite not a single lightsaber to be seen thus far, it feels like the Star Wars universe...while episodes VII and VIII do not.

SanDiego49er, I recommend that you sign up for Disney Plus. It's $7/mo; hardly a bank-breaker.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 pm
  • The Mandalorian Episode 4: WOMEN ARE RUINING STAR WARS :angry017:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm
  • Mandolorian is an insanely good show.

Right now I have this show, Watchmen, and Jack Ryan S2. In 2 and 3 weeks Witcher and The Expanse S4 will be live. Some really good entertainment out right now.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Mandolorian is an insanely good show.

Let's not go overboard. It's not at that level; at least, not as of yet.

I mean, unless you're directly comparing it against Episodes 7 & 8...then maybe. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:56 pm
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Image

Well, it's an upgrade from calling him Willow.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:59 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Well, it's an upgrade from calling him Willow.

Haven't seen that one used in a while, but I always get a smile out of "that ****ing little midget" and paraphrases of it from Niners fans. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:55 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Mandolorian is an insanely good show.

I mean, unless you're directly comparing it against Episodes 7 & 8...then maybe. ;)

The writing doesn't have the depth and intricacies that the best seasons of GoT does or the last handful of episodes of Watchmen, but nothing in the Star Wars universe does. I watched the original 3 movies countless times when I was young and still love them (without the added cgi nonsense), but my opinion of the Jedi and Skywalkers in general has changed as an adult. The Skywalkers are whiny ticking time nukes and there would probably be 100 billion people still alive and more planets if the Skywalkers never existed. As for the Jedi, their religious cuntery literally spawns horrible problems left and right. Still love the stories, but it is what it is. Mandalorian doesn't touch any of that and that's a good thing. The western aspect of the show is great as well. It's a different exploration of that universe and it's refreshing.

Also, I don't have as big of problems with episodes 7 & 8 as I do with 1-3. I'm also hoping that Rey isn't a Skywalker so she doesn't flip her lid and cause all sorts of galactic scale problems right after solving one. That stupid cycle needs to end and they need some original content, potentially with grey Jedi...maybe with a witch from Dathomir or something as well. Anything but more frickin Skywalkers. So yeah.... Mandalorian is insanely good.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

The writing doesn't have the depth and intricacies that the best seasons of GoT does or the last handful of episodes of Watchmen, but nothing in the Star Wars universe does. I watched the original 3 movies countless times when I was young and still love them (without the added cgi nonsense), but my opinion of the Jedi and Skywalkers in general has changed as an adult. The Skywalkers are whiny ticking time nukes and there would probably be 100 billion people still alive and more planets if the Skywalkers never existed. As for the Jedi, their religious cuntery literally spawns horrible problems left and right. Still love the stories, but it is what it is. Mandalorian doesn't touch any of that and that's a good thing. The western aspect of the show is great as well. It's a different exploration of that universe and it's refreshing.

Also, I don't have as big of problems with episodes 7 & 8 as I do with 1-3. I'm also hoping that Rey isn't a Skywalker so she doesn't flip her lid and cause all sorts of galactic scale problems right after solving one. That stupid cycle needs to end and they need some original content, potentially with grey Jedi...maybe with a witch from Dathomir or something as well. Anything but more frickin Skywalkers. So yeah.... Mandalorian is insanely good.

I appreciate this take, vin. Not saying I agree with all of it, but I appreciate it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

I appreciate this take, vin. Not saying I agree with all of it, but I appreciate it.

Even if you're not a gamer, Jedi Fallen Order is worth picking up. I think they're considering it a cannon story, but I'm not sure. It would have started right around the time of Solo, 5 years after order 66. It has a story mode which is much easier. Either that or I'm sure you can watch a playthrough on YouTube.

Starkiller (Galen Marek) is not considered cannon, but it is for me because I will never forget it. I'm also not sure it wasn't then, when Starkiller was about to end it all, that I really soured on the Jedi nonsense. It could have ended there, but nooooooo...had to get distracted and stopped by some $h!t Jedi religious rhetoric from Kota. I'm not sure I ever forgave it. I like Grey Jedi, even as chaotic as they are. Best case, Rey goes that route and the stories get much more interesting or they just fade that character out in favor of a new one.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 pm
  • I'm about 16 hours in on Fallen Order. I love it. I don't really play video games very much but I couldn't help myself with this one. I didn't really get into the Force Unleashed games but I've played the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games for years and years. I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Grey Jedi but I'm not opposed to them going that route if it's interesting.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:41 am
  • I really like the show thus far, but they need to start progressing the plot more. Enough world (galaxy) and character building.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:20 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm about 16 hours in on Fallen Order. I love it. I don't really play video games very much but I couldn't help myself with this one. I didn't really get into the Force Unleashed games but I've played the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games for years and years. I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Grey Jedi but I'm not opposed to them going that route if it's interesting.

Beat the game last week. Order 66 was cool in the game. Would like to see more games like that.

Was surprised that I did not hate a single character in the game. Well done Respawn.
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:01 pm
  • sammyc521 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I'm about 16 hours in on Fallen Order. I love it. I don't really play video games very much but I couldn't help myself with this one. I didn't really get into the Force Unleashed games but I've played the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games for years and years. I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Grey Jedi but I'm not opposed to them going that route if it's interesting.

Beat the game last week. Order 66 was cool in the game. Would like to see more games like that.

Was surprised that I did not hate a single character in the game. Well done Respawn.

Yeah I beat it over the weekend. Took me like 23 hours. I really enjoyed it, kinda wasn't ready for it to be over, so now I'm just exploring the parts of the worlds I didn't get to and trying to get everything to 100%.

Do we know if there's going to be any expansions or additional DLC for this game? Or is it just what it is and now we have to hope for a sequel?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm
  • Haha I say "beat it" like it was some sort of accomplishment playing on Story Mode lol.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:08 pm
  • EA promised no paid DLC or pay2win for it, so presumably no DLC at all.

I enjoyed the game quite a bit, but the combat is very...consoley, to invent a word.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 pm
  • It's the first time I played a PC game entirely with an Xbox controller so I suppose I would be inclined to agree.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:43 pm
  • Latest Mando is probably the coolest one yet. Lots of cool cameos. Bill Burr in space is fantastic.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:37 am
  • Yeah I'm pretty sure this was the best Mandalorian yet. Burr was funny but not to funny, and his robotic blaster arm was sweet.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:17 am
  • Agreed that chapter 6 was the best yet. It had a different tone, more serious but still plenty campy. I would have liked to see Mando actually kill those characters instead of just putting them in a prison cell.

The one problem I have with the show is the dialogue. It’s as if the lines were written by 13 year old me. They’re predictable and ridiculous At times it works but I would like the show to take itself a little more seriously.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:18 pm
  • HAWKAMANIA wrote:Agreed that chapter 6 was the best yet. It had a different tone, more serious but still plenty campy. I would have liked to see Mando actually kill those characters instead of just putting them in a prison cell.

The one problem I have with the show is the dialogue. It’s as if the lines were written by 13 year old me. They’re predictable and ridiculous At times it works but I would like the show to take itself a little more seriously.

Disney Channel, 13 is a good demographic age for them :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:33 pm
  • I've seen people complaining that there aren't enough women with speaking parts, I've seen people complaining that there's no over-arching plot, I've seen people complaining that Mando's too sweet and just helps everybody without thinking twice about it, I've seen people complaining that Favreau is just a Disney yes man, I've seen people complain that the entire show is just a merchandising cash-grab, I've seen people complain about just about anything and everything there is to complain about and I'm just over here like "this show is tight."
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:54 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I've seen people complaining that there aren't enough women with speaking parts, I've seen people complaining that there's no over-arching plot, I've seen people complaining that Mando's too sweet and just helps everybody without thinking twice about it, I've seen people complaining that Favreau is just a Disney yes man, I've seen people complain that the entire show is just a merchandising cash-grab, I've seen people complain about just about anything and everything there is to complain about and I'm just over here like "this show is tight."

People looking to be offended will always find something. I'm enjoying the episodic nature and leisurely pace. There hasn't been a good show to do that in a long time. It's just nice to spend time in this world.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:23 pm
  • It kind of makes me want to go level up another dark side Bounty Hunter in SWTOR.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:28 am
  • Episode 7 was really good, IMO. The stakes have been risen, stuff definitely didn't go to plan, and we have a bigger player in the game now. Can't wait for the finale.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 pm
  • I think I like every single episode of The Mandalorian more than Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:46 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Episode 7 was really good, IMO. The stakes have been risen, stuff definitely didn't go to plan, and we have a bigger player in the game now. Can't wait for the finale.

I liked it too. I think it was probably the best one so far. However, I thought the extended scene explaining how IG-11 was reprogrammed was awfully strange and rather dumb. I don't see the point over just saying "it's a Droid, they do what they're programmed to do". The only way it MAY redeem itself is if it turns out SPOILER

SPOILER

IG-11 was the one who killed Kuill as he approached the ship, not the troopers.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Episode 7 was really good, IMO. The stakes have been risen, stuff definitely didn't go to plan, and we have a bigger player in the game now. Can't wait for the finale.

I liked it too. I think it was probably the best one so far. However, I thought the extended scene explaining how IG-11 was reprogrammed was awfully strange and rather dumb. I don't see the point over just saying "it's a Droid, they do what they're programmed to do". The only way it MAY redeem itself is if it turns out SPOILER

SPOILER

Seems IG-11 either took out Kuill or he will end up saving the day. Otherwise all that exposition was for naught.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:48 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Episode 7 was really good, IMO. The stakes have been risen, stuff definitely didn't go to plan, and we have a bigger player in the game now. Can't wait for the finale.

SPOILER

Seems IG-11 either took out Kuill or he will end up saving the day. Otherwise all that exposition was for naught.

Agreed, sc85sis. If anything IG-11 is going to end up saving them. If I was to bet on it, IG-11 is going to end up being critical to Mando's success and Mando will go from hating droids at the beginning of the series to trusting IG (which is even wilder considering the first time he met IG, the droid was about .002 seconds from killing Baby Yoda). It'll be a character growth/progression type thing.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:39 am
  • ***SPOILER ALERT***

Highlight to read: Moff Gideon has the goddam Darksaber.

Most of you won't know what that means anyway. But sh!t!

Great finale.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:55 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:***SPOILER ALERT***

Great finale.

Mandalorian was 100 times better than than Ep9. It's not even close.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:47 pm
  • I really enjoyed the finale. By far the best episode of the season. Taika Waititi worked his magic and did a wonderful job mixing humor and action.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:03 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:***SPOILER ALERT***

Great finale.

Mandalorian was 100 times better than than Ep9. It's not even close.

As I said earlier in this thread, every single episode of The Mandalorian is better than any of the three episodes of the newest trilogy.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:47 am
  • The opening few minutes of the finale was hilarious --- when those two tried blasting that piece of garbage (literally) that was just about he funniest star wars moment I can remember.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:The opening few minutes of the finale was hilarious --- when those two tried blasting that piece of garbage (literally) that was just about he funniest star wars moment I can remember.

That was good stuff. I loved the target practice. It was Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally. Pally may not be a household name, but if you look him up I can almost guarantee you'll recognize his face.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:11 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Mandalorian was 100 times better than than Ep9. It's not even close.

As I said earlier in this thread, every single episode of The Mandalorian is better than any of the three episodes of the newest trilogy.

To both of you: because we can't enjoy one thing without $h!t on another, can we?

I'm really looking forward to season 2. I was not on board for this show at the start, because Mandalorians and their culture NEVER interested me as a subject. I used to piss my brother and my best friend both off because I thought Boba Fett was stupid and overrated. So from the jump I was very 'meh' on the concept of this show. I'm very glad I was wrong. (It was Baby Yoda.)

BTW, Jon Favreau confirmed season 2 will drop in fall 2020.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:31 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    To both of you: because we can't enjoy one thing without $h!t on another, can we?

Well now don't get all hot and bothered --- I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here, I just find it ironic that two star wars entries come out at the same time -- one is a mega-budget "Finale" to the 9 film arc, the second is a well-made but clearly lower-scale series .... and that's the one that was far more entertaining for this pedestrian viewer.

Not looking to $h!it on anything just my point of view.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *

Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:25 pm
  • Sometimes the simpler stories are far easier to tell.

Mando was great. Looking forward to season 2 but even moreso I'm looking forward to the Obi Wan series and the Cassian Andor/K2 series. I know it's unrealistic to expect everything to be a home run but I have high hopes for both of those.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:59 pm
  • The problem with Star Wars is that one persons vision was not continued from start to finish and it was owned by too many Studios and their Cronies, add to that they started trying to use parts as social platforms. It's a continuity thing.

The last part is that it has stretched out over a period of time that is really too long for one story arc and you lose that attachment you initially felt and rely on memory as well as the technology changes so that the movies don't appear to have the same quality.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:59 am
  • Maulbert wrote:To both of you: because we can't enjoy one thing without $h!t on another, can we?

I'm really looking forward to season 2. I was not on board for this show at the start, because Mandalorians and their culture NEVER interested me as a subject. I used to piss my brother and my best friend both off because I thought Boba Fett was stupid and overrated. So from the jump I was very 'meh' on the concept of this show. I'm very glad I was wrong. (It was Baby Yoda.)

Maybe it just annoys some of us to see something objectively inferior in numerous ways to The Mandalorian be doted upon by some fans "BECAUSE STAR WARS <3 <3 <3".
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:27 am
  • chris98251 wrote:The problem with Star Wars is that one persons vision was not continued from start to finish and it was owned by too many Studios and their Cronies, add to that they started trying to use parts as social platforms. It's a continuity thing.

The last part is that it has stretched out over a period of time that is really too long for one story arc and you lose that attachment you initially felt and rely on memory as well as the technology changes so that the movies don't appear to have the same quality.

The problem with the prequels was that it was one man's vision. People constantly questioned Lucas's decisions on the original film, which led it to be tighter and better than his original vision. On Empire, Lucas hired his film professor from USC as director, giving him the ability to question Lucas's bad ideas, and led to a better film. Jedi came out after Lucas fell out with Gary Kurtz, who had held Lucas's wilder impulses in check, and was directed by a yes man. Jedi was weaker for it. NO ONE questioned Lucas on the prequels, and it shows. Someone needed to reign in his bad ideas, and the movies suffered for it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:29 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:To both of you: because we can't enjoy one thing without $h!t on another, can we?

Maybe it just annoys some of us to see something objectively inferior in numerous ways to The Mandalorian be doted upon by some fans "BECAUSE STAR WARS <3 <3 <3".

I have not seen one person claim Rise of Skywalker was better than The Mandalorian. That is some weird ass chip on your shoulder.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:31 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:To both of you: because we can't enjoy one thing without $h!t on another, can we?

I have not seen one person claim Rise of Skywalker was better than The Mandalorian. That is some weird ass chip on your shoulder.

The only conclusion that I can draw is that he's bitter about how much people don't like the prequels because he thinks they're cinematic masterpieces.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:13 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:The problem with Star Wars is that one persons vision was not continued from start to finish and it was owned by too many Studios and their Cronies, add to that they started trying to use parts as social platforms. It's a continuity thing.

The problem with the prequels was that it was one man's vision. People constantly questioned Lucas's decisions on the original film, which led it to be tighter and better than his original vision. On Empire, Lucas hired his film professor from USC as director, giving him the ability to question Lucas's bad ideas, and led to a better film. Jedi came out after Lucas fell out with Gary Kurtz, who had held Lucas's wilder impulses in check, and was directed by a yes man. Jedi was weaker for it. NO ONE questioned Lucas on the prequels, and it shows. Someone needed to reign in his bad ideas, and the movies suffered for it.

This is a really good point.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:44 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:The only conclusion that I can draw is that he's bitter about how much people don't like the prequels because he thinks they're cinematic masterpieces.

Oh, you nailed it. I think the prequels are cinematic masterpieces. :roll:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:14 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:The only conclusion that I can draw is that he's bitter about how much people don't like the prequels because he thinks they're cinematic masterpieces.

I knew it!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:22 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:The only conclusion that I can draw is that he's bitter about how much people don't like the prequels because he thinks they're cinematic masterpieces.

It's no worse an inference than you make with regularity.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:36 pm
  • Us: This movie is ok. There's stuff we like, stuff we don't like.

Roland: eXpLaIn HoW iTs BrIlLiAnT
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information