Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disney Plus - The Mandalorian & More

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Disney Plus - The Mandalorian & More
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:51 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Us: This movie is ok. There's stuff we like, stuff we don't like.

Roland: eXpLaIn HoW iTs BrIlLiAnT

Pretty much.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:36 pm
  • The inability of you two to understand that you can love something while admitting it's not great is just mind-boggling.

It's ok to love the new trilogy. Arbitrarily defending it as being very good or great is where the rank stench of manure enters.

Nothing's going to change it because since you love it, it has to be great, so...whatever. Go see it 73 more times and bump those sales numbers to justify your position more, Zeb. The new trilogy can sit right up there with the McDonald's hamburgers are great because look at the sales trope.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:58 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The inability of you two to understand that you can love something while admitting it's not great is just mind-boggling.

It's ok to love the new trilogy. Arbitrarily defending it as being very good or great is where the rank stench of manure enters.

Nothing's going to change it because since you love it, it has to be great, so...whatever. Go see it 73 more times and bump those sales numbers to justify your position more, Zeb. The new trilogy can sit right up there with the McDonald's hamburgers are great because look at the sales trope.

These are like the mad rantings of a lunatic.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:26 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:The problem with Star Wars is that one persons vision was not continued from start to finish and it was owned by too many Studios and their Cronies, add to that they started trying to use parts as social platforms. It's a continuity thing.

The last part is that it has stretched out over a period of time that is really too long for one story arc and you lose that attachment you initially felt and rely on memory as well as the technology changes so that the movies don't appear to have the same quality.

The problem with the prequels was that it was one man's vision. People constantly questioned Lucas's decisions on the original film, which led it to be tighter and better than his original vision. On Empire, Lucas hired his film professor from USC as director, giving him the ability to question Lucas's bad ideas, and led to a better film. Jedi came out after Lucas fell out with Gary Kurtz, who had held Lucas's wilder impulses in check, and was directed by a yes man. Jedi was weaker for it. NO ONE questioned Lucas on the prequels, and it shows. Someone needed to reign in his bad ideas, and the movies suffered for it.

Yes there were some differences but over all the films still hit home runs, didn't matter if it was Ruth one film, Gehrig another and then Ken Griffey. They were made in one generation so to speak so the interest and feelings or attachments were still there.

The same person was driving them for the most part and while I agree having yes men versus critical thinking challenging you to step up or re think things is important for quality, time hurt things more then anything else and evolving technology separating the films across multiple generations to complete the story.

Imagine The Lord of the Rings having one film released every 15 years. People would be interested but it would never have the magic of having them filmed back to back and then released in sequence.

I think Star Wars lost that opportunity, they still are popular but as I said Continuity between films, generations, writer and director and studios vision was lost. Lucas had so much success so fast I think he like George Martin got off his creative vision for the story so to speak also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:23 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:These are like the mad rantings of a lunatic.

See, this is a common psychological reaction that lets your subconscious mind justify ignoring anything I say about anything.

Do continue!
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:The inability of you two to understand that you can love something while admitting it's not great is just mind-boggling.

I love the Rise of Skywalker. When have I said it was good? Typical Roland. Ignore what proves you wrong.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:The inability of you two to understand that you can love something while admitting it's not great is just mind-boggling.

I love the Rise of Skywalker. When have I said it was good? Typical Roland. Ignore what proves you wrong.

I never even said I loved it. The guy thinks he can read minds when he can't even read posts.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:54 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I never even said I loved it. The guy thinks he can read minds when he can't even read posts.

Lord knows nothing could ever be inferred by other words. Man, I wish I was as smart as you.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:08 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I never even said I loved it. The guy thinks he can read minds when he can't even read posts.

Lord knows nothing could ever be inferred by other words. Man, I wish I was as smart as you.

I do too. I really do.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:09 pm
  • So....got rid of the Skywalkers finally and ended up with something much worse...a damn Palpatine. There was a lot of cheap crap in this movie, but it was at least entertaining. I liked the "nobody" arch much more than what we ended up with and wanted more for Rey, but at least she isn't a whiny b!@ch. The callbacks need to end. Write some original content and fricking move forward.

Mandalorian is definitely on the right path, however.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:I never even said I loved it. The guy thinks he can read minds when he can't even read posts.

You always assume we mean one thing when we say another. Maybe you should stop inferring and just realize we mean what we say? You constantly act as though you know us better than ourselves, and on top of it showing you to be both arrogant and pompous, it makes you look dumb, which I KNOW you aren't. I think you're probably one of the smartest people here, but you're way to damn obsessed with trying to prove it for it to ever matter.

I used to be so much like you, it hurts.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:43 pm
  • vin.couve12 wrote:So....got rid of the Skywalkers finally and ended up with something much worse...a damn Palpatine. There was a lot of cheap crap in this movie, but it was at least entertaining. I liked the "nobody" arch much more than what we ended up with and wanted more for Rey, but at least she isn't a whiny b!@ch. The callbacks need to end. Write some original content and fricking move forward.

Mandalorian is definitely on the right path, however.

I think they felt like they could make old fans happy by including all the old sh*t and make new fans by introducing the new characters, thought they could find a balance there, and it sort of back fired on them. But I understand and think they felt like they just had to get all this out of their (and our) system, and now we'll see them go in different directions in the future. Which I think has just as much of a chance of backfiring because if they don't hold on to a certain aesthetic and tone the franchise runs the risk of becoming very generic. I guess it depends on exactly what it is that makes Star Wars different from all the other sci-fi/dystopian/post-apocalyptic franchises. What keeps Star Wars from becoming just another Hunger Games/Maze Runner/Divergent?

FWIW, as universally enjoyed as The Mandalorian has been, it's packed full of a metric sh*t ton of call backs and references (like literally 10% of the dialogue in this show is lines from the old movies verbatim). I wouldn't expect the Obi-Wan or Cassian Andor series to be much different, but hopefully just as good.

The real test is going to be what they do with the next movies. We've apparently got an announcement coming in Jan as to what the next movie will be and who will be directing it. We've got Kevin Feige apparently working on something and we've still supposedly got Rian Johnson working on a trilogy. I imagine all of those things won't come to fruition but something will eventually come out of all of that. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Kathleen Kennedy "step down" as president and somebody with a more creative role take over (Favreau? Feige? Filoni? Haven't heard from Pablo Hidalgo in a while...?).
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:50 pm
  • So, other than The Mandalorian, what are you people watching on Disney+?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:57 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:So, other than The Mandalorian, what are you people watching on Disney+?

I watched a few old movies. That Darn Cat, Snowball Express, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (the live action Disney Robin Hood almost no one remembers).
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:So, other than The Mandalorian, what are you people watching on Disney+?

I just started the Imagineering documentary. The first episode is very good; Walt Disney was a genius.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:59 pm
  • The only other thing I've watched so far is 3-4 episodes of The Imagineering Story. Oh and I watched that Christmas movie Noelle but I didn't pay very close attention. It was pretty silly.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Are you saying McDonald's hamburgers aren't great?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:The problem with Star Wars is that one persons vision was not continued from start to finish and it was owned by too many Studios and their Cronies, add to that they started trying to use parts as social platforms. It's a continuity thing.

The last part is that it has stretched out over a period of time that is really too long for one story arc and you lose that attachment you initially felt and rely on memory as well as the technology changes so that the movies don't appear to have the same quality.

This. All those little things add up.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:33 pm
  • https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney-pl ... skywalker/

The upcoming Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi series looks to be featuring another familiar Star Wars face.

According to Daniel Richtman, a new casting grid has surfaced for the series, and while there's little in way of plot details, it does confirm the show is looking to cast a young Luke Skywalker.

AFAIK this is supposed to be set about 8 years after RoTS? So they could probably cast any skinny little dirty dishwater blonde boy and it'll be fine. 8 year olds can't act anyway. 8 year olds, dude.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney-plus-obi-wan-young-luke-skywalker/

The upcoming Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi series looks to be featuring another familiar Star Wars face.

According to Daniel Richtman, a new casting grid has surfaced for the series, and while there's little in way of plot details, it does confirm the show is looking to cast a young Luke Skywalker.

AFAIK this is supposed to be set about 8 years after RoTS? So they could probably cast any skinny little dirty dishwater blonde boy and it'll be fine. 8 year olds can't act anyway. 8 year olds, dude.

Haley Joel Osment was pretty good around that age.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney-plus-obi-wan-young-luke-skywalker/

Haha yeah so was Dakota and Dafne. I'm mostly just kidding but I don't expect we're going to get a whole lot of Luke so I don't imagine they'll be casting the next Daniel Radcliffe.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:59 am
  • Why would we want to see a young Luke? He was a farmer his whole life until ANH...

I guess they'll just make up some stupid adventures.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 am
  • Really need a Sith series or trilogy or something, how they came to be, the hierarchy and how they changed from a Jedi type teaching and then going to a master and apprentice hierarchy and the wiping out of all the students but one, moving forward the student becoming the Master and how each Masters demise happened up to present.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:54 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Why would we want to see a young Luke? He was a farmer his whole life until ANH...

I guess they'll just make up some stupid adventures.

I don't think it's going to be much about Luke. But if people want to see Anakin podracing then I'm sure there are people who want to see Luke flying though Beggar's canyon bullseying wamprats.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:39 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Really need a Sith series or trilogy or something, how they came to be, the hierarchy and how they changed from a Jedi type teaching and then going to a master and apprentice hierarchy and the wiping out of all the students but one, moving forward the student becoming the Master and how each Masters demise happened up to present.

Check out the Darth Bane Trilogy. I don't think it's canon any more since it was written before Disney took over, but it covers what your talking about.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:24 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney-plus-obi-wan-young-luke-skywalker/

Haha yeah so was Dakota and Dafne. I'm mostly just kidding but I don't expect we're going to get a whole lot of Luke so I don't imagine they'll be casting the next Daniel Radcliffe.

isnt that the time frame where Obi wan kills darth maul (again)?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Si, yes it is. Obi-Wan was chillin' on Tatooine when Maul came to kill him and exact his revenge (which didn't go so well for Maul).

SeatownJay wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Really need a Sith series or trilogy or something, how they came to be, the hierarchy and how they changed from a Jedi type teaching and then going to a master and apprentice hierarchy and the wiping out of all the students but one, moving forward the student becoming the Master and how each Masters demise happened up to present.

Check out the Darth Bane Trilogy. I don't think it's canon any more since it was written before Disney took over, but it covers what your talking about.

Darth Bane is canon as of one of the later story arcs in Clone Wars, however the Darth Bane books trilogy is not canon anymore (Legends).
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:14 pm
  • I know things were touched on in some cases but there is a lot there to pull from, we have yet to see Darth Domehawk rise also. :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

Close, not quite. Maul was still alive in Solo, which was set 10 years before A New Hope. Maul died during Rebels, which started 5 years before A New Hope. Darth Maul died in season 3, which would put it about 2-3 years before A New Hope, or 16-17 years after Revenge of the Sith. So, the Obi-Wan series will be set about 9 years before he kills Maul.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:46 pm
  • My bad, I didn't realize Si was asking specifically about the Obi-Wan series and was speaking to the broader time frame (between RotS and ANH). Good specification, Maulbert.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:56 pm
  • That whole thing is kind of convoluted anyway, especially because when we see Luke in that Rebels episode he looks to be fairly young, IMO. A lot closer to maybe 10 or 11 than 16-17. I mean, from what little of him we saw. But that's cartoon sh*t and would be easily retconned by anything live action.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:00 pm
  • Side note, this is about the longest we've been able to talk Star Wars without the Enjoyability Control Police chiming in. Maybe we've turned a corner?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:25 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Side note, this is about the longest we've been able to talk Star Wars without the Enjoyability Control Police chiming in. Maybe we've turned a corner?

You're still speaking, so I think you've mistakenly excluded yourself from that category; but I digress, do continue.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:28 pm
  • Dammit. Candymanned that sh*t. My bad, guys.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:36 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:That whole thing is kind of convoluted anyway, especially because when we see Luke in that Rebels episode he looks to be fairly young, IMO. A lot closer to maybe 10 or 11 than 16-17. I mean, from what little of him we saw. But that's cartoon sh*t and would be easily retconned by anything live action.

We know for a fact that Ezra Bridger is 1-2 days older than Luke and Leia. It's established canon that Ezra was born the day the Republic became the Empire. So, Luke had to be 16-17 in that episode of Rebels.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:That whole thing is kind of convoluted anyway, especially because when we see Luke in that Rebels episode he looks to be fairly young, IMO. A lot closer to maybe 10 or 11 than 16-17. I mean, from what little of him we saw. But that's cartoon sh*t and would be easily retconned by anything live action.

We know for a fact that Ezra Bridger is 1-2 days older than Luke and Leia. It's established canon that Ezra was born the day the Republic became the Empire. So, Luke had to be 16-17 in that episode of Rebels.

I just watched the Twin Suns episode again and it's just fine, Luke could easily be the right age there. So no retconning necessary.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm
  • Too bad.. I wanted more Maul
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:06 am
  • http://starwarsunity.net/2020/01/02/rep ... this-year/

According to First Order Transmissions, and it’s something I’ve heard as well, a follow-up animated series to Star Wars Rebels featuring Ahsoka and Sabine is slated for release sometime this year. They mention that Filoni is involved, which I’ve heard as well, but I heard that he may not be directly overseeing it like he did with the original Rebels.

I haven't watched the video and I'm not sure how true this is but here's the info. Would be cool because I know a lot of people love those characters and I have never been able to get into Resistance. So here's to hoping.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 am
  • Feb 17 new Clone Wars season.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:43 pm
  • Saw this, gave me a chuckle.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran