Avengers: Endgame (Spoilers)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Avengers: Endgame (Spoilers)
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 am
  • Say what you will about iRo, dude is packing. He's well hanged.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:07 am
  • The Tom Jones of dotnet.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Avatar was an objectively bad film. The plot was just a bunch of retread tropes, the characters were thin and didn’t develop well, and the CG at this point looks dated. All visuals and no substance.

I personally know more people who haven't seen Avatar than have seen it. I'm not sure I know a single person who has seen it and says good things about it
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Avatar was an objectively bad film. The plot was just a bunch of retread tropes, the characters were thin and didn’t develop well, and the CG at this point looks dated. All visuals and no substance.

I personally know more people who haven't seen Avatar than have seen it. I'm not sure I know a single person who has seen it and says good things about it

If you view it with todays mentality of CGI your probably right, but when it came out it was very cool and I liked it.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:12 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Avatar was an objectively bad film. The plot was just a bunch of retread tropes, the characters were thin and didn’t develop well, and the CG at this point looks dated. All visuals and no substance.

It was a genuinely beautiful film from an aesthetic perspective, but was horribly by-the-numbers, borrowing notably from Dances with Wolves, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, and Pocahontas, and was absolutely obnoxious in the way it beat you over the head with it's moral. It was worth seeing in theaters once for the experience, but I have never felt the need to revisit it.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:12 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:It was a genuinely beautiful film from an aesthetic perspective, but was horribly by-the-numbers, borrowing notably from Dances with Wolves, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, and Pocahontas, and was absolutely obnoxious in the way it beat you over the head with it's moral. It was worth seeing in theaters once for the experience, but I have never felt the need to revisit it.

All these "smart" people, who realize not that Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas are all rip-offs of much older retread stories, as well.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:39 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:It was a genuinely beautiful film from an aesthetic perspective, but was horribly by-the-numbers, borrowing notably from Dances with Wolves, Ferngully: The Last Rainforest, and Pocahontas, and was absolutely obnoxious in the way it beat you over the head with it's moral. It was worth seeing in theaters once for the experience, but I have never felt the need to revisit it.

All these "smart" people, who realize not that Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas are all rip-offs of much older retread stories, as well.

Ah, so Avatar is a ripoff of a ripoff? Seriously, though, I know there's nothing new under the sun, but Avatar didn't even do a riff on the themes, they flat-out lifted the plots and gave them a new CGI coat of paint. Plus, I might add, to it's detriment, James Cameron is a terrible writer of dialogue, maybe only a couple steps above George Lucas.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:21 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:Ah, so Avatar is a ripoff of a ripoff? Seriously, though, I know there's nothing new under the sun, but Avatar didn't even do a riff on the themes, they flat-out lifted the plots and gave them a new CGI coat of paint. Plus, I might add, to it's detriment, James Cameron is a terrible writer of dialogue, maybe only a couple steps above George Lucas.

Dances with Wolves is a ripoff probably 27 times removed. How anyone thinks anything on your list is remotely original is beyond me. Why don't you throw the same amount of shade at Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas as well?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:47 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Ah, so Avatar is a ripoff of a ripoff? Seriously, though, I know there's nothing new under the sun, but Avatar didn't even do a riff on the themes, they flat-out lifted the plots and gave them a new CGI coat of paint. Plus, I might add, to it's detriment, James Cameron is a terrible writer of dialogue, maybe only a couple steps above George Lucas.

Dances with Wolves is a ripoff probably 27 times removed. How anyone thinks anything on your list is remotely original is beyond me. Why don't you throw the same amount of shade at Dances with Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas as well?

Why are you so desperate to defend Avatar? Seriously, it's not like those other three films are regarded as classics, no one says it ripped off better films. They all kind of suck. Most people agree Goodfellas should have won best picture instead of Dances with Wolves. Are you just desperate to prove you're not a sucker for liking it? Like what you want. Just don't pretend it's Citizen Kane.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:22 pm
  • Also, one other small point as to Endgame passing Avatar: people like to point to Endgame's expansion being necessary to beat Avatar, but I would like to point out that Endgame was rushed out of theaters much quicker than Avatar, as the week before the expansion, Endgame was in only 985 theaters, while at the same point in it's release, Avatar was still in 2,685 theaters. After Endgame's expansion, it was in 2,025 theaters, meanwhile, Avatar was still in 2,581 at the same point. 3 weeks later, Endgame is back in only 985 theaters, while at the same point, Avatar was still playing in 1,718 theaters. Sure, Endgame has an inflation advantage, but Avatar played wider months longer.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 pm
  • Stories in movies are very baseline anymore based on success of others, creativity is almost at a stand still for production companies. They want to ride a wave and take on stories they know.

There are books and screen plays written that are innovative but that's a harder sell to get into a movie production, until someone does and it's new and then the cycle starts of reproducing that success with a different look, situation, time in history, planet etc.

How many Movies about time travel are truly different from H.G. Wells the time machine, most of the rules he created still apply to most movies, add a paradox situation and you have a whole new experience, add a dimension and there you go again.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:07 pm
  • It's really not about defending Avatar; it's about making ignorant people realize that they're defending three other films just as guilty as Avatar for ripping off generic tropes, yet not assigning any blame to those aforementioned three.

It's hypocrisy I'm railing against.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:05 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Dances With Wolves... yea, lots of problems with that movie, but you know what?

Hollywood couldn't make a movie that good today.

No chance in hell. They have NO SHOT. It's a $h!t out there.

The Lion King film perfectly exemplifies that. It's a remake of a cartoon that was a total theft of a Japanese product that Disney tried to pass off as their original story. They have no original thoughts at all, and if they do have a thought it's somehow related to "orange man bad"... it's all they can think about.

I rarely go to movies. I do not watch movies on streaming services.
    I have to go back in time to find find Hollywood classics I haven't seen... crap from my grandparent's era to find a single good story.

Avatar was merely the prelude of everything to come.... re-hashed dribbling poop sprayed all over a movie screen and pumped up with special effects.

Everything on the screen these days is crap... a total joke, and then when the do something halfway good... they do it to freaking death... like the Marvel movies. I'd PAY actual money to never see another Marvel movie again after Endgame.

But no... they are going to do them and do them absurdly. Yes, Natalie Portman as "Thor" "Rainbows and g** puppy dogs! WHAT?

Oh look, it's Thor, God of Thunder, except with boobies... oh yes, she's 90lbs soaking wet and can't even lift the plastic prop hammer... "but WIIMMMEN POWER! If you don't like it, you're a naz**, naz**, naz**, naz**!"

I'm so crippled I can barely walk, but if I slapped Portman with an open hand I'd probably knock her unconscious.

Yes, that's believable, her as Thor.

If there were any justice in the universe, 10,000 undead Norse Warriors crawl out of their graves and go on a slaughtering rampage to end this mess of a civilization.

I'd pay to see that for sure.

It follows the comics, Thor falls from grace and Thors hammer does go to her, except she has a problem and will die using it's powers to become Thor based on comics. No spoilers if you read comics. It is going to be a short term thing.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:06 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Dances With Wolves... yea, lots of problems with that movie, but you know what?

The Lion King film perfectly exemplifies that. It's a remake of a cartoon that was a total theft of a Japanese product that Disney tried to pass off as their original story. They have no original thoughts at all, and if they do have a thought it's somehow related to "orange man bad"... it's all they can think about.

I rarely go to movies. I do not watch movies on streaming services.
    I have to go back in time to find find Hollywood classics I haven't seen... crap from my grandparent's era to find a single good story.

Avatar was merely the prelude of everything to come.... re-hashed dribbling poop sprayed all over a movie screen and pumped up with special effects.

Everything on the screen these days is crap... a total joke, and then when the do something halfway good... they do it to freaking death... like the Marvel movies. I'd PAY actual money to never see another Marvel movie again after Endgame.

But no... they are going to do them and do them absurdly. Yes, Natalie Portman as "Thor" "Rainbows and g** puppy dogs! WHAT?

Oh look, it's Thor, God of Thunder, except with boobies... oh yes, she's 90lbs soaking wet and can't even lift the plastic prop hammer... "but WIIMMMEN POWER! If you don't like it, you're a naz**, naz**, naz**, naz**!"

I'm so crippled I can barely walk, but if I slapped Portman with an open hand I'd probably knock her unconscious.

Yes, that's believable, her as Thor.

If there were any justice in the universe, 10,000 undead Norse Warriors crawl out of their graves and go on a slaughtering rampage to end this mess of a civilization.

I'd pay to see that for sure.

:escape:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Told my wife just yesterday, I think it was, that I was interested in seeing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and the reason was that I don't actually know what it is about and given all the other movies out there, that's a plus.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:52 am
  • Multiple posts have been removed for attacking other posters and/or going off topic. Keep it on topic. And remember Attack The Post, Not The Poster is still our number 1 rule.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:55 am
  • Awwwww but my post was a masterpiece.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:

"The morons are winning!" It's F U N N Y... not a personal attack.

Except you think it's true.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:05 am
  • Great movie.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:27 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:It follows the comics, Thor falls from grace and Thors hammer does go to her, except she has a problem and will die using it's powers to become Thor based on comics. No spoilers if you read comics. It is going to be a short term thing.

Yes, yes, I know all about the comics... I am friends with several comic book artists and creators... so I know a lot about the industry. It's the only reason I actually believed the Thor movie storyline... a lot of people still think it's like an April Fools thing or a troll... there are people all over the internet arguing over whether it's real.

They still don't - they think it's a joke. I argued with my wife and neighbor for 20 minutes, "No, Natalie Portman is going to play Thor.." Neither would accept something so unbelievably stupid as a reality.

That pretty much tells you how that movie will be received right there. Women do not let their husbands drag them to Thor to see Portman or Tessa Thompson... they go for Chris Hemsworth and his muscles.

There is not a single modern Marvel storyline that anyone wants to see in a movie, it's all a joke.

In 1994 the top Marvel comics were selling a million copies a month... today they are lucky if they can get their top comic to 10k... that's a 1,000% drop off in sales ... and they are still going, down, down, down, down....

They've been bankrupt twice in that time, and were only saved when Disney bought them for copyright purposes... they are shadows of themselves. Nobody wants to buy their nonsense trash. Former artists and writers that are actually good... drag them all the time.

Independent web comics written by teenage Japanese girls have many times more readers than Marvel and DC.

Sadly I don't disagree, when you start making everything you can PC and socially safe the drama in stories gets lost, not to mention somewhere between the lets say 70's and now imaginative thinking was shut down and creative thought.

Why Music, Books and stories, Movies, going on and on has a bland interest. They keep rehashing the old ones that sold, and spinning a story with a Gender change or location change. The comics of my youth had edginess to them, they had sexy artistry, Wonder Women anyone etc.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:Multiple posts have been removed for attacking other posters and/or going off topic. Keep it on topic. And remember Attack The Post, Not The Poster is still our number 1 rule.

Thank you Kitsap. There's some disgusting behavior taking place in this thread.

And, again, while Roland may have a toddlers pallete when it comes to cinema, he does have us beat when it comes to genital endowment. He is massive.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am
    Attachments
    6104X7OZ5JL._SL1500_.jpg
    6104X7OZ5JL._SL1500_.jpg (53.59 KiB) Viewed 241 times
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Previous