Kimchi!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Kimchi!
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:37 pm
  • Oh [words that I cannot say outside the Shack!] I just made a batch of kimchi yesterday, and is it amazing!

Love kimchi? Hate kimchi? Whatever! This stuff is, next to beer and rare red beef, a gift of the gods.

And wow does it go good with a medium rare steak seared over the smoker and smothered in Korean barbecue sauce!

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Re: Kimchi!
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm
  • I've had good kimchi and bad kimchi; to me, it's one of those things that is cool to like, though...or at least, cool to tell people you like. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am
  • My favorite sandwich at the bar I frequent is the kimchi rueben. I think thats the only time Ive had kimchi but its delicious.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I've had good kimchi and bad kimchi; to me, it's one of those things that is cool to like, though...or at least, cool to tell people you like. ;)

Haha of course you think that.

I've also had good and bad, at least to my taste. I'm not sure exactly what qualities make a good authentic kimchi. I like it good and spicy with a nice crunch too it. Too bland or soft and I can't really get into it. Love it as a side to Korean fried chicken or in a bibimbap bowl (there's a place down here in Portland called Kim Jong Smokehouse that has a great variety). But I think my favorite application has been with bulgogi beef in a burrito or some tacos. There's a cart downtown that I had to stop going by because I couldn't refrain. Not sure if it's still there or not but now you've got me wanting to find out.

Looks like you know what you're doing, Sailor!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:29 pm
  • Kimchi on your eggs will change your life. Delicious.

Never tried it with steak. Makes sense, it's kinda like a chimichurri sauce or something similar.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:32 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Looks like you know what you're doing, Sailor!

Well, it was the first batch I've made myself, but I've eaten approximately 30,000 metric tons of the stuff over the last few years. I've had it about any way you can think of. When you have Korean food for every lunch and sometimes more than that, it adds up.

As far as the soft/crunchy part of it goes, that's a fermentation thing. The more fresh/raw it is, the crisper it is. The more fermented or older it is, the softer and more sour it gets. Fresh kimchi is pretty much like flavored raw cabbage. The really fermented stuff is pretty sour. Most of the stuff you get in the United States, especially in restaurants, is somewhere in between. The really good authentic Korean restaurants in Asia will serve it up anywhere from fresh to sour, a lot of times on request. And it's almost always all-you-can-eat as a side dish.

Mine did turn out fantastic, and I've been eating way too much of it! I'm not at the "I-eat-kimchi-for-breakfast" stage like most Koreans are (wow!) but it is pretty tasty.

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:31 am
  • Damn, that looks amazing. Nice work. Kimchi rocks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:03 am
  • If any of you live in the Seattle area Bok Bok Chicken has some KILLER Kimchi dishes. Their Kimchi Mac n Cheese is awesome. Their wings are great too.

http://www.bokabokchicken.com/wp-conten ... _final.pdf
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:14 am
  • Thx for the heads up. I work in downtown Seattle, I'll be checking this place out.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:18 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Thx for the heads up. I work in downtown Seattle, I'll be checking this place out.

Not sure if your a Food Network watcher, but DIners Drive Ins and Dives went there.

https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocation ... ngton.html
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 am
  • Hell yes, my wife watches that show on the regular. If we go out of town somewhere we try to hit one of the spots that was on the show.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:38 am
  • If anyone is actually interested in making their own, I basically learned everything from this YouTube channel. You can search YouTube for a bunch of different kimchi recipes, but hers seem to be the most informational and easy to watch. She has a bunch of different Korean recipes, and quite a few are good kimchi recipes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Maangchi

I think this one is the one I got most of my information from.

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:02 pm
  • There is a huge amount of racism in this thread concerning fermented foods, what about

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:13 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Image

Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:40 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Haha of course you think that.

You know, if I said that about a bunch of stuff, you could rightfully reply to me like that; but I don't. Find five examples of me saying I think something is cool/cliche to like in the last couple years' worth of posts on .NET and I'll send you $20. Otherwise, shove off.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:57 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Haha of course you think that.

You know, if I said that about a bunch of stuff, you could rightfully reply to me like that; but I don't. Find five examples of me saying I think something is cool/cliche to like in the last couple years' worth of posts on .NET and I'll send you $20. Otherwise, shove off.

I'm not gonna waste any of my time scouring this place for examples of you being you when we have two perfectly good ones right here in this thread.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:58 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:There is a huge amount of racism in this thread concerning fermented foods, what about

I've never had lutefisk. Doesn't sound appetizing. But I am of Swedish heritage, a fan of seafood and fermented foods, generally speaking, and usually open to trying new stuff. So I'd be willing to give it a try. Not sure if I've ever been anywhere that serves it though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I've never had lutefisk. Doesn't sound appetizing. But I am of Swedish heritage, a fan of seafood and fermented foods, generally speaking, and usually open to trying new stuff. So I'd be willing to give it a try. Not sure if I've ever been anywhere that serves it though.

Doesn't Ikea?

I'd definitely try it too, but I've never found it.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:09 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

I'm not gonna waste any of my time scouring this place for examples of you being you when we have two perfectly good ones right here in this thread.

Oh my god...I forgot Roland always did this. "Prove it by finding 17 examples of me saying I love mayonnaise". It's so sweet. And autistic.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:12 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Oh my god...I forgot Roland always did this. "Prove it by finding 17 examples of me saying I love mayonnaise". It's so sweet. And autistic.

Yeah, shame on me for calling out someone excessively misrepresenting me.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Oh my god...I forgot Roland always did this. "Prove it by finding 17 examples of me saying I love mayonnaise". It's so sweet. And autistic.

Yeah, shame on me for calling out someone excessively misrepresenting me.

Exactly. I also forgot Zeb (if that's even really him...he does let others post on his behalf) always misrepresents posters.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:50 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:There is a huge amount of racism in this thread concerning fermented foods, what about

I've never had lutefisk. Doesn't sound appetizing. But I am of Swedish heritage, a fan of seafood and fermented foods, generally speaking, and usually open to trying new stuff. So I'd be willing to give it a try. Not sure if I've ever been anywhere that serves it though.

If you try it make sure you have a sauce or something to put on it, I would suggest looking up some options, by itself it can turn someone off and also like Kimchi it has to be made right or it can taste like ass.

Think of a type of Sushi with Ginger or Mustard sauce.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:00 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Think of a type of Sushi with Ginger or Mustard sauce.

Now I'm definitely trying it! That stuff's delicious!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am
  • Yum ........ fresh home made fermented food.

I've been eyeing fermenting kits on Amazon and elsewhere. But, I'm hooked on the convenience of local kitchens such as "Pickled Planet"

:biggthumpup: ............... bon appétit
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:

We ever get this settled?
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:24 am
  • Col thread, OP.

I eat Kimchee every other day.
    Vesuve
    NET Starter

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member