Mass Shootings

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mass Shootings
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 am
  • Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The reason to not own a gun is because it's a tool built to kill other humans and there would be far more humans in this country alive if not so many people owned them. Is that not a good enough reason?

The reason to own a gun IS because it's a tool to kill humans. If someone wants to do serious harm to my kith and kin, he might need to get dead.

Save lives if we can, but a lot of those 'gun' deaths are going to happen anyway due to suicide and homicide which will occur even in a world without firearms. You can argue lethality, but you're dealing with a razor thin margin at that point.

There's always going to be violent people and a circle of violence, the gun just makes it easier, more deadly and brutal. There is a 99.999990909% chance you'll never have to use your gun to protect your family. That number would be substantially higher if there were far fewer guns available.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The reason to not own a gun is because it's a tool built to kill other humans and there would be far more humans in this country alive if not so many people owned them. Is that not a good enough reason?

The reason to own a gun IS because it's a tool to kill humans. If someone wants to do serious harm to my kith and kin, he might need to get dead.

Save lives if we can, but a lot of those 'gun' deaths are going to happen anyway due to suicide and homicide which will occur even in a world without firearms. You can argue lethality, but you're dealing with a razor thin margin at that point.

There's always going to be violent people and a circle of violence, the gun just makes it easier, more deadly and brutal. There is a 99.999990909% chance you'll never have to use your gun to protect your family. That number would be substantially higher if there were far fewer guns available.

The gun doesn't make it easier. It is much easier to drive a large vehicle through a crowd of people. The gun just gets the media attention making it the weapon of choice for people who think they are making a point.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:18 am
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    Osprey wrote:

The gun doesn't make it easier. It is much easier to drive a large vehicle through a crowd of people. The gun just gets the media attention making it the weapon of choice for people who think they are making a point.

That starts another tangent of the debate. Do people kill because they want to kill, or shoot people because they want to shoot people? I think there's a decent possibility it could be the latter.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 am
  • Tical21 wrote:That starts another tangent of the debate. Do people kill because they want to kill, or shoot people because they want to shoot people? I think there's a decent possibility it could be the latter.

Are you talking the infamy angle? In that case it's media that would need to be banned.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 am
  • Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:That starts another tangent of the debate. Do people kill because they want to kill, or shoot people because they want to shoot people? I think there's a decent possibility it could be the latter.

Are you talking the infamy angle? In that case it's media that would need to be banned.

I agree that we should not cover mass shootings at all, but that lid is never going back on that box.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    Osprey wrote:The reason to own a gun IS because it's a tool to kill humans. If someone wants to do serious harm to my kith and kin, he might need to get dead.

That starts another tangent of the debate. Do people kill because they want to kill, or shoot people because they want to shoot people? I think there's a decent possibility it could be the latter.

What would support that possibility? Or do you just think that because it supports your agenda?
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:43 am
  • Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:That starts another tangent of the debate. Do people kill because they want to kill, or shoot people because they want to shoot people? I think there's a decent possibility it could be the latter.

This is why I have continually stated that the 1st amendment has played a role that is not insignificant in the increase in mass shootings, and despite what the anti-gun people continue to say is a valid part of the conversation on mass shootings.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:There's always going to be violent people and a circle of violence, the gun just makes it easier, more deadly and brutal. There is a 99.999990909% chance you'll never have to use your gun to protect your family. That number would be substantially higher if there were far fewer guns available.

What would support that possibility? Or do you just think that because it supports your agenda?

Because every country has vans and there aren't widespread mass killings with them. I think there may be a power angle where people think about themselves holding a gun and shooting a lot of people and view that as very powerful. We're just spitballing here, and I don't think you could reasonably disprove the theory.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm
  • Hey pmed, here's a gun club you can join. Looks like they have chapters in Texas.

https://naaga.co/chapters/
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:07 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Does seem like crazy white people do most of the mass shootings.

It’s also possible that a big chunk of the street level violence.....

Lon, can you clarify this one? I'm not sure I'm getting your intended meaning.

All I’ll say to “clarify” is this:
    Look up the statistics for yourself, they are available from multiple sources.
    Anything I say about them will be twisted around to fit some other BS argument, or someone will claim that I picked a source to fit my argument.

Stats do vary by source but they all show the same basic trend/theme.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:37 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Does seem like crazy white people do most of the mass shootings.

Anything I say about them will be twisted around to fit some other BS argument, or someone will claim that I picked a source to fit my argument.

YESSSSSS!!!!!
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:28 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

More and more lately I get the feeling you're having a completely different conversation than the people you're talking to.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

More and more lately I get the feeling you're having a completely different conversation than the people you're talking to.

The only stats that matter are minority crime stats. Gun stats, on the other hand, are obviously biased and missing the bigger issue; mental health.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

You said “race was a valid component” in the conversation “as long as its on topic”

I was responding to you you.

I said it seems like crazy white guys are the ones doing the “mass shootings”. (the topic exactly)

This conversation has evolved past mass shootings and included “gun violence” in general.

Fact is, crazy whites guys don’t commit the majority of street level “gun violence”,and that’s the statistic I was pointing out.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

The only stats that matter are minority crime stats. Gun stats, on the other hand, are obviously biased and missing the bigger issue; mental health.

Yea, kinda why I mentioned “crazy white guys”.

It’s hard to find statistics on a persons mental health status after they commit a crime (murder)with a gun. Unless you follow the trial (if there is one), then it’s common to plead insanity.

Lots of speculation gets tossed around if a “shooter” gets killed during his/her rampage but it’s kinda rare for actual “proof” to show up.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:

You said “race was a valid component” in the conversation “as long as its on topic”

I said it seems like crazy white guys are the ones doing the “mass shootings”. (the topic exactly)

This conversation has evolved past mass shootings and included “gun violence” in general.

Fact is, crazy whites guys don’t commit the majority of street level “gun violence”,and that’s the statistic I was pointing out.

So who does then?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:31 am
  • Good point. Shooting an innocent person doesn't necessarily mean mental illness.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:13 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:

So who does then?

Like I said, look up the statistics for yourself.
    They are available from multiple sources.
    Me posting them will be twisted to deflect from the point, or someone will claim I cherrypicked them.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:Me posting them will be twisted to deflect from the point

or maybe bringing them up at all is deflecting from the point?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:00 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Me posting them will be twisted to deflect from the point

or maybe bringing them up at all is deflecting from the point?

Bonus points, deflecting from the point by claiming deflection from the point.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 pm
  • Did you know if someone makes a complaint Police can do this.

An officer asked the King County Superior Court for an Extreme Risk Protection Order, which requires those deemed to be a high risk of harming themselves or others to surrender their weapons. The order was granted and police said the man voluntarily turned over 18 guns to officers on the property.

No assault weapons. He was 91 years old but the point is they can take them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-confiscate-18-guns-from-west-seattle-home/ar-AAI4AJL#image=1
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 am
  • Thank goodness nobody died.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Thank goodness nobody died.

Well was just thinking the whole State of Texas could be in this category, take their weapons legally if they want to become their own country since they may be considered a threat.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:16 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Thank goodness nobody died.

Well was just thinking the whole State of Texas could be in this category, take their weapons legally if they want to become their own country since they may be considered a threat.

Yeah, I saw a similar story a few weeks back where a collector had his collection taken as he was deemed possibly suicidal.

Big picture, taking guns away from people reasonably deemed mentally unstable is good.

The particulars about how to accomplish this are a protest waiting to happen, but I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree with distancing mentally unstable people from firearms.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm
  • Crazy people shouldn't own any guns, I don't think any gun owner would argue against that.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:44 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Crazy people shouldn't own any guns, I don't think any gun owner would argue against that.

You'd think, but man there is a ton of resistance against this, at least on Twitter. The anti-government folks, complaining that the government shouldn't have any right to decide what we get to own. And the fact that the second amendment was originally designed to allow citizens to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Now the government can take your guns?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:54 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Crazy people shouldn't own any guns, I don't think any gun owner would argue against that.

You'd think, but man there is a ton of resistance against this, at least on Twitter. The anti-government folks, complaining that the government shouldn't have any right to decide what we get to own. And the fact that the second amendment was originally designed to allow citizens to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Now the government can take your guns?

You lost me at Twitter, or otherwise known as the land of trolls and fake accounts.

On the firearms blogs and forums that I am a member to, the main complaint I see is what type of claim will actually get someone's guns taken away. Sure there are guns owners that shouldn't own them, but there are others that are completely fine but have pissed off a significant other and that person is just calling in and reporting them only trying to get back at them. It's a slippery slope, but if thoroughly investigated it should weed out the bad.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:13 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    Big picture, taking guns away from people reasonably deemed mentally unstable is good.

Seems backwards to me. If the person is mentally unstable / suicidal it's the individual that should be taken into custody not the inanimate object.

What if they don't own guns? Should we take away sharp objects, bathtubs, pills, and automobiles?
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

Seems backwards to me. If the person is mentally unstable / suicidal it's the individual that should be taken into custody not the inanimate object.

Inanimate objects are easier to store.

Osprey wrote:What if they don't own guns? Should we take away sharp objects, bathtubs, pills, and automobiles?

Yes. I mean, you can't remove every possible danger, but you can certainly take steps.

Also, if we could stop pretending that on the spectrum of inanimate objects there's no difference between weapons designed to kill effectively and things that are meant to help clean your body or transport you to and form work, that would be like totally super cool.

I could murder a baby with a jump rope but that doesn't mean that a schizophrenic sociopath should have easy access to a Draco with a drum mag if we're able to identify those particular characteristics.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:39 pm
  • Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

What if they don't own guns? Should we take away sharp objects, bathtubs, pills, and automobiles?

Black scary Guns are the agenda of record these days, nothing else matters.

Notice how since there hasn't been a mass shooting in several weeks so the media is silent about it, even though Chicago is still like a damn war zone each week?
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Crazy people shouldn't own any guns, I don't think any gun owner would argue against that.

Yeah there are few people on this thread who think the government's about to break down their door at any time to take away their guns. I'd say they fit under the crazy category.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

Yeah there are few people on this thread who think the government's about to break down their door at any time to take away their guns. I'd say they fit under the crazy category.

It's a good thing you aren't the one deciding things.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:05 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

I don't think I have seen anybody in this thread say anything close to what he is saying. Stretching what has been said into a fantastical delusion probably also fits under the crazy category.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:40 pm
  • Since this thread got bumped and the NRA has been talked about in this thread, here's a friendly reminder that the NRA is a trash organization and the worst 2A/gun rights organization in the country.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/76487924 ... rt-reveals

Drawing on contemporaneous emails and private interviews, an 18-month probe by the Senate Finance Committee's Democratic staff found that the NRA underwrote political access for Russian nationals Maria Butina and Alexander Torshin more than previously known — even though the two had declared their ties to the Kremlin.

The report, available here, also describes how closely the gun rights group was involved with organizing a 2015 visit by some of its leaders to Moscow.

Then-NRA vice president Pete Brownell, who would later become NRA president, was enticed to visit Russia with the promise of personal business opportunities — and the NRA covered a portion of the trip's costs.

The conclusions of the Senate investigation could have legal implications for the NRA, Wyden says.

Tax-exempt organizations are barred from using funds for the personal benefit of its officials or for actions significantly outside their stated missions. The revelations in the Senate report raise questions about whether the NRA could face civil penalties or lose its tax-exempt status.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:21 pm
  • That damn Russia :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

You lost me at Twitter, or otherwise known as the land of trolls and fake accounts.

On the firearms blogs and forums that I am a member to, the main complaint I see is what type of claim will actually get someone's guns taken away. Sure there are guns owners that shouldn't own them, but there are others that are completely fine but have pissed off a significant other and that person is just calling in and reporting them only trying to get back at them. It's a slippery slope, but if thoroughly investigated it should weed out the bad.

Yep.

I know someone going through a messy messy divorce. The wife has some mental issue, has been cheating, yadda yadda. He's just trying to get out of the situation as gracefully as possible. But she's been breaking into his place, stealing, making up false allegations. Some of the false allegations got him on the "red flag" list, he got visited. They confiscated everything they could find. Things got serious when they couldn't find some firearms she said he had, that he didn't (because she was lying).

But thats where we are..... people lie to get revenge or whatever. People get their firearms taken over lies of a vengeful crazy ex. These laws are being abused.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:51 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

Notice how since there hasn't been a mass shooting in several weeks so the media is silent about it, even though Chicago is still like a damn war zone each week?

Could be there are bigger stories at the moment.

Not rocket science.

Blaming media for negative attention to thousands of gun deaths isn't going to detract for the nonsense of said argument.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:41 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    Osprey wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

Could be there are bigger stories at the moment.

Not rocket science.

Blaming media for negative attention to thousands of gun deaths isn't going to detract for the nonsense of said argument.

The problem isn't the negative attention media brings to gun deaths. Problem is that their need to over sensationalize for ratings makes the shooters infamous leading to mass shooting becoming an even more attractive option to mentally unstable people looking to become martyrs. If you don't think media contributes to the mass shooting problem, then you aren't practicing common sense.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:48 pm
  • I’d agree 100% that truly crazy (Suicide prone/homicide prone) shouldn’t have access to guns.

In the realm of “danger to self or others” it’s the person that needs to be taken into custody, or monitored closely. That person is a problem with or without a gun.

In my line of work, we have legal right, authority, and obligation to mitigate the risks, even if that means sedation and transport against ones will. We never just take away sharp objects and guns, then leave the person free to do whatever.

As stated above, I agree with the statement “crazy people shouldn’t have guns” but the fact is, the gun is not the problem the “crazy” person is the problem.

As already mentioned, a simple false report could jack someone up for the rest of their life, and again it’s a way to chip away at our 2nd A. rights.

It’s a very slippery slope,and the reason many will oppose the thought.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:06 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:

Yeah we're doing a great job of doing things your guy's way. Awesome work. Let's see if we can break a record next year for gun deaths. Bear down and focus people.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:10 pm
  • Well define who is crazy, cops show up because ex girl friend or neighbor makes allegations, person is pissed and says your not coming into my house without a warrant, ex shows up and tries to push through doors to " Get my things", guys pushes her out again and argument ensues, now ex says arrest him for assault and man gets more pissed. Cops say he is crazy and take him away go in and ran sack house looking for guns etc.

Yeah I can see this happening easily, some races more then others as cops and as the victims and also depending on where you live.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:28 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Yeah I can see this happening easily, some races more then others as cops and as the victims and also depending on where you live.

Attempted pull of a race card, 15 yard penalty. 1st doooooooooooooooooooooown! ----->
    Last edited by 2_0_6 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:29 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:You'd think, but man there is a ton of resistance against this, at least on Twitter. The anti-government folks, complaining that the government shouldn't have any right to decide what we get to own. And the fact that the second amendment was originally designed to allow citizens to protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Now the government can take your guns?

Yeah we're doing a great job of doing things your guy's way. Awesome work. Let's see if we can break a record next year for gun deaths. Bear down and focus people.

:roll:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Attempted pull of a race card, 15 yard penalty. 1st doooooooooooooooooooooown! ----->

I didn't say a specific race I said based on where you live and which races involved on all sides.

You want to ignore gun violence, you want to ignore prejudice, social and economic situations and different areas where people live I guess we can just say that there is no problem and we can just target practice legs at the border wall like our President suggests.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 pm
  • Any Socialist Rifle Association members here? Thinking about joining.

https://socialistra.org/about/

The Socialist Rifle Association is an educational organization dedicated to providing the working class with the information they need to be effectively armed for self and community defense. This includes all manner of community defense, from the right of the working class to possess firearms to the ability to be well versed in the fields of medicine, disaster relief, logistics, agriculture, and survival skills. Our goal is to provide an alternate to the mainstream, toxic, right-wing, and non-inclusive gun culture that has dominated the firearms community for decades. We seek to provide a safe, inclusive, and left-leaning platform for talking about gun rights and self defense, free from racist and reactionary prejudices, while providing a platform for the working class to obtain the skills necessary for all aspects of community defense.

Our members produce quality manuals and guides for teaching firearms safety, marksmanship, history, and mechanics; as well as unarmed self defense, emergency medical care, disaster relief, and hunting. Our local chapters will provide in-person training and workshops, using individual members' skills to help address the needs of their community. We also encourage members to pursue certification and outside training in EMT and disaster relief, so they can provide critical services to their community in bad times.

If you are any of the following: working class, progressive, anarchist, socialist, communist, eco-warrior, animal liberator, anti-fascist, anti-racist, anti-capitalist, PoC, LGBTQ+, or anyone else who is interested in learning about firearms and modern self defense -- YOU are invited to join the Socialist Rifle Association today!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I didn't say a specific race I said based on where you live and which races involved on all sides.

You want to ignore gun violence, you want to ignore prejudice, social and economic situations and different areas where people live I guess we can just say that there is no problem and we can just target practice legs at the border wall like our President suggests.

If I wasn't from a mixed race family, who grew up very poor in a terrible neighborhood I might not understand what you are rambling about. I'm not ignoring any of those issues, I lived them for the first 15 years of my life.

Anything else?
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:34 pm
  • These need to stop. It is not about, race, color, gender, creed. But about learning right from wrong which the shooters do but do not care about anybody getting hurt but to see loved ones ruined over their family members being killed or possibly hurt for life mentally and emotionally.

But now DC does not want to help stop this. They just want their own thing. As this will happen over and over. Enough talk. More action!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information