Mass Shootings

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Part of the reason for our rights is in the event we needed a Militia and to keep our own Government honest. I said Government and Honest in the same sentence imagine that.

    That and to hunt and protect.

    That is why Gun laws are hard to change.

    People still remember how they disarmed Europe before the rise there with no way to defend against it.


    Ah yes. Joe and his neighbor Bob are totally going to protect themselves with their ARs from the US military and their drones, tanks and other vastly superior weapons tech lol.


    Our military can't even win against radical terrorists in 3rd world countries...
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5235
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:My invite to anyone remains open if someone wants to meet up at a range sometime. No politics, no arguing, just come out and punch some paper targets and talk football.


    Wish I lived on that side cause I'd totally take you up on it!
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:25 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Part of the reason for our rights is in the event we needed a Militia and to keep our own Government honest. I said Government and Honest in the same sentence imagine that.

    That and to hunt and protect.

    That is why Gun laws are hard to change.

    People still remember how they disarmed Europe before the rise there with no way to defend against it.


    Ah yes. Joe and his neighbor Bob are totally going to protect themselves with their ARs from the US military and their drones, tanks and other vastly superior weapons tech lol.


    Our military can't even win against radical terrorists in 3rd world countries...


    They could if the ROE were changed... to a humanitarian crisis level.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:35 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Part of the reason for our rights is in the event we needed a Militia and to keep our own Government honest. I said Government and Honest in the same sentence imagine that.

    That and to hunt and protect.

    That is why Gun laws are hard to change.

    People still remember how they disarmed Europe before the rise there with no way to defend against it.


    Ah yes. Joe and his neighbor Bob are totally going to protect themselves with their ARs from the US military and their drones, tanks and other vastly superior weapons tech lol.


    Our military can't even win against radical terrorists in 3rd world countries...


    They could if the ROE were changed... to a humanitarian crisis level.


    But is the entire military going to be okay with fighting their own people? Are they going to be willing to blow everything in sight to smithereens and then be left with nobody and nothing much left to rule over when they're done? Who knows, I guess.

    Throughout history there are examples of free people successfully fighting back against their rulers in kingdoms and countries whose militaries had better and more powerful weapons.

    And that's why, in conclusion, i have the opinions i do when it comes to the after math of mass shootings.
    Last edited by fenderbender123 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5235
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Let's try to keep this on topic.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 6266
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:07 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    You miss the bigger issue, is GI Joe going to fire on little sister and mom and dad or tell someone to go to hell and flip that tank around.


    If that's the case, why would we need to protect ourselves at all?


    Read up on the history of Germany and what they did to disarm those citizens before all hell broke loose.


    I know my naz** Germany history, thank you. I guess I'm having a hard time following you.

    - We need assault rifles to protect ourselves from or own government
    - Our assault rifles will do next to nothing to protect ourselves if our own government deploys even a sliver of a fraction of its military might
    - We then are relying on the willingness of individuals in the military to stop themselves (which, for instance, didn't happen in naz** Germany due to the buy-in/indoctrination of it's citizens)

    Is the take away that the only way to stop a bad guy with a tank is a good guy with a tank? :lol:


    Then you know that the propaganda campaign there was something leaders still try to use for influence of people, that and being able to divide and conquer with the whole Jewish impurity thing within their people using the said propaganda.

    Taking the weapons from everyone to protect them from being victims of a racial war so to speak amongst other propaganda.

    It's a murky view when skewed with Politics, Religion and Racism, on the surface it's a pretty easy decision, get into the quagmire and nobody see's the light.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28576
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:00 pm
  • If you don't hunt or live in a high-crime area, and still own guns, you're an @$$h0le.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:03 pm
  • Also true if you collect guns or own an assault rifle.
    That also means you're an @$$h0le.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Also true if you collect guns or own an assault rifle.
    That also means you're an @$$h0le.

    Well, I've been called worse by better than you.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1698
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:16 pm
  • Literally everyone is better than me. But facts are facts.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 14910
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:34 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Guns have been around for a VERY long time. Just because you now can buy an AR15 or an AK, this isn't the main issue. I agree that more training, HIPPA based background checks and stiffer gun penalties are needed, but that's not going to solve the problem. If someone is bat $h!t crazy enough to want to kill people, they will find a way.

    I like my high capacity firearms, they have never magically loaded themselves, unlocked my safe and pointed themselves at anyone. Penalizing a large group of lawful gun owners for the actions of a few crazy ones isn't logical.


    People will call them tools, and while they can be used as tools, they are essentially unnecessary toys. I don't find any logic in valuing ownership of these toys over innocent lives.


    That is your opinion and I totally respect that.

    Some people collect high end watches, cars, baseball cars, knives, guns etc...

    If we were all wired to have the same interests, hobbies and beliefs that would suck.


    I agree. I understand this is a crazy complex issue that the US is dealing with, it just doesn't make sense to me. You want a weapon for self-defense? Great, buy a pistol. You want something to go hunting with? Great, get a shotgun or a bolt-action/low capacity rifle.

    We've allowed firearms that were designed specifically for war and killing humans to proliferate the US like they're for hunting or self-defense, which is completely disingenuous IMO.

    I've always respected one's rights to own firearms, but it's getting to the point where we need to start restricting more types of firearms, who can purchase them and how, how they're maintained/stored, etc. Starting with reimplementing an "assault weapon ban" is a decent step (of course grandfathering people in like the 90's), and what you described in a post above about how that drove prices up on the secondary/black markets is a desired outcome. Make it cost prohibitive for the sick individuals that want to use ARs as their preferred tools of death.



    1. 2A is NOT for hunting
    2. Assault rifles are selective fire. This means they have the capability to be fired fully automatic. These weapons are already and have been banned for a long time. You can get them but the process is much more involved than buying an AR15.
    3. AR15s and AK47s that are common are NOT fully automatic. These are semi auto only. Exactly like many other rifles. Also, a 20 round magazine (not "clip"), is standard capacity, not "high" capacity.
    4. Go back through history and you will see that all types of guns have been used by the military. This would include bolt action rifles.
    I don't have the answer to today's problems, but there are many folks out there who spout crap as facts and unfortunately, too many people believe them.
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1698
    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    I like my high capacity firearms, they have never magically loaded themselves, unlocked my safe and pointed themselves at anyone. Penalizing a large group of lawful gun owners for the actions of a few crazy ones isn't logical.


    They sure do a lot of damage and cause a lot of deaths when crazy people unlock, load and shoot them.

    So your fun is more important than lessening and minimizing deaths?

    People died a lot on motorcycles, so we passed a helmet law, people died in car wrecks, so we passed seatbelt laws, cars were less safe, so we passed mandatory airbag and safety laws, people died from cigarettes so we forced transparency and warning labels, people die of heart disease so we passed laws forcing food companies to post ingredients on labels.

    We do all sorts of smart things through laws, but for some reason THIS is the one thing certain citizens can't get past. It's mind boggling.



    Your acting like there are zero gun laws in place, which in fact is untrue. It's extremely more difficult to purchase a firearm in 2019 than it was in 2009, and even more so than in 1999. As crimes have happened, laws have been added year after year after year. To have the stance that buying a gun LEGALLY is a simple mundane task with no legal hoops to jump through or any type of background check is comical.

    My firearms have not killed anyone, so why should my hobby be punished for what a handful of idiots did? Thanks, but Ill pass.


    This is why no tangible solutions exist.

    Individual selfishness over community good.

    The world is not getting crazier. It's going numb. Murder is common. Mass shootings are a 48 hour news story.

    More people died at Wal-Mart the other day than Columbine. No movie will be made. Shootings are up as our world becomes decenesitized.

    And like most things, people give a $h!t right up to the point of having to make a sacrifice and then start whinging about personal rights and freedoms, or just forget about it.

    Your guns are stupid and a significant damage to this country's psyche.

    And I mean your specific guns. Not metaphorically. Yours. Because they represent the will of ignorance and selfishness. The lack of self awareness in saying "my guns don't commit crimes" should be a crime itself. (Expand it to carbon footprints and willfull destruction of the environment.)

    One day, hopefully, it will. But as peaches said, not in this iteration
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:37 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Also true if you collect guns or own an assault rifle.
    That also means you're an @$$h0le.


    Pretty much
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:17 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    I like my high capacity firearms, they have never magically loaded themselves, unlocked my safe and pointed themselves at anyone. Penalizing a large group of lawful gun owners for the actions of a few crazy ones isn't logical.


    They sure do a lot of damage and cause a lot of deaths when crazy people unlock, load and shoot them.

    So your fun is more important than lessening and minimizing deaths?

    People died a lot on motorcycles, so we passed a helmet law, people died in car wrecks, so we passed seatbelt laws, cars were less safe, so we passed mandatory airbag and safety laws, people died from cigarettes so we forced transparency and warning labels, people die of heart disease so we passed laws forcing food companies to post ingredients on labels.

    We do all sorts of smart things through laws, but for some reason THIS is the one thing certain citizens can't get past. It's mind boggling.



    Your acting like there are zero gun laws in place, which in fact is untrue. It's extremely more difficult to purchase a firearm in 2019 than it was in 2009, and even more so than in 1999. As crimes have happened, laws have been added year after year after year. To have the stance that buying a gun LEGALLY is a simple mundane task with no legal hoops to jump through or any type of background check is comical.

    My firearms have not killed anyone, so why should my hobby be punished for what a handful of idiots did? Thanks, but Ill pass.




    Your guns are stupid and a significant damage to this country's psyche.

    And I mean your specific guns
    . Not metaphorically. Yours. Because they represent the will of ignorance and selfishness. The lack of self awareness in saying "my guns don't commit crimes" should be a crime itself. (Expand it to carbon footprints and willfull destruction of the environment.)


    These statements are comical, thanks for the laugh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

    My guns are not damaging the Country's psyche, they just happen to be getting the blame for actions of mentally sick individuals because some people are choosing to ignore the bigger issue. Like I said in an earlier post, not everybody like them but many do. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

    That good ol' Second Amendment aint goin' anywhere fellas. :0190l:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:32 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    That good ol' Second Amendment aint goin' anywhere fellas. :0190l:


    We know, cause the NRA has become one of the most powerful and influential lobby groups in our nation's history pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into pinpointing state and national political races and assuring pro gun candidates win..........therefore making sure no substantial gun reform ever happens.

    So we'll just keep getting slaughtered, our kids will continue to get murdered at school at record clips, and you'll get to go blow away animals with your AR-15 to fill whatever violence insecurity fetish you've got going on.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    That good ol' Second Amendment aint goin' anywhere fellas. :0190l:


    We know, cause the NRA has become one of the most powerful and influential lobby groups in our nation's history pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into pinpointing state and national political races and assuring pro gun candidates win..........therefore making sure no substantial gun reform ever happens.

    So we'll just keep getting slaughtered, our kids will continue to get murdered at school at record clips, and you'll get to go blow away animals with your AR-15 to fill whatever violence insecurity fetish you've got going on.




    Just in this thread I have been called insecure, an @$$h0le, and ignorant all for the simple reason that I own and hunt with certain firearms. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested, never shot anyone, yet labeled as some type of degenerate in society. And yet some people wonder where there is such a disconnect between both sides.

    I will continue to donate to the NRA, continue to enjoy all of my fiearms, and will continue to buy and build more. :irishdrinkers:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    That good ol' Second Amendment aint goin' anywhere fellas. :0190l:


    We know, cause the NRA has become one of the most powerful and influential lobby groups in our nation's history pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into pinpointing state and national political races and assuring pro gun candidates win..........therefore making sure no substantial gun reform ever happens.

    So we'll just keep getting slaughtered, our kids will continue to get murdered at school at record clips, and you'll get to go blow away animals with your AR-15 to fill whatever violence insecurity fetish you've got going on.




    Just in this thread I have been called insecure, an @$$h0le, and ignorant all for the simple reason that I own and hunt with certain firearms. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested, never shot anyone, yet labeled as some type of degenerate in society. And yet some people wonder where there is such a disconnect between both sides.

    I will continue to donate to the NRA, continue to enjoy all of my fiearms, and will continue to buy and build more. :irishdrinkers:


    You aren't these things because you own guns and hunt, you're these things because you're not willing to compromise or move even one inch towards meaningful reform to help solve a very serious problem in our country.

    So tell us, why do you and other cling so hard to the 2nd Amendment? Why is it so important to you? I mean, people don't cling this hard to any of the other Amendments...........and they certainly don't cling to them in the face of a national crisis like this.

    It's weird that we all agree there's a problem, but only one side is willing to work on trying to come up with solutions. Is it purely political? Do you think you're giving in to people you don't like? Is your life REALLY going to suffer if you just get to hunt with a regular rifle, and not an AR-15 or AK-47? Or if you only get to have two guns and not 20?

    Seriously, I'd like to get into the mind of a 2nd Amendment apologist.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am
  • Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am
  • There are responsible gun owners and then there are the guys that think hunting with a Mac 10 or Uzi or AK47 converted to full Auto or like arms is a good time, seen them and heard them when I lived in Twisp, they would come over from the Coast as they Call Seattle there and drink go into the woods and see Bambi, a Coyote a Blind, a Hut, a Cabin or whatever they thought would be fun to see how much damage they could do to it and open up. Come back to the Bar and brag about the Coyote or even Dog they made into hamburger or the building they leveled.

    Locals hated them, they were a danger to everyone Legitimate Hunters non Hunters as well as Horses and Cattle that may have been out and about. A lot of Hunters hunt off horseback there also and seeing a Horse move through the trees without validating the target and thinking it was a Deer or anything else happens also.

    These are the guys that scream it's their right also. That is why 206 your being looked upon as a extremist in some regards, bad apples can ruin the whole crate you know.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28576
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Just in this thread I have been called insecure, an @$$h0le, and ignorant all for the simple reason that I own and hunt with certain firearms. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested, never shot anyone, yet labeled as some type of degenerate in society. And yet some people wonder where there is such a disconnect between both sides.

    /truth
    Why debate with logic and facts when you can declare the other side evil and win by default.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 842
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Camas, WA


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am
  • chris98251 wrote: That is why 206 your being looked upon as a extremist in some regards, bad apples can ruin the whole crate you know.



    My family has over 70 acres in NE Washington that we shoot and hunt on. Over the years we have seen some City folks come over into the public areas, leave trash, tear up the land with their 4x4's, play their loud music and act like idiots on their hunting trips. Sure it's a PITA, but a large section of the population is that way and I'm not even talking about gun owners. For every group of idiots, there are 5 more behind them that actually respect the land and pick up others garbage.

    The $h!t that is being thrown my way in this thread is simply because of what guns I own, nothing more. I would guarantee that if I crossed paths with any of you at a Hawks game we would all have a good time, enjoy a few pops and enjoy the game. But as soon as I mentioned I owned some of these "evil" guns, Im basically a piece of $h!t.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:54 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    That good ol' Second Amendment aint goin' anywhere fellas. :0190l:


    We know, cause the NRA has become one of the most powerful and influential lobby groups in our nation's history pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into pinpointing state and national political races and assuring pro gun candidates win..........therefore making sure no substantial gun reform ever happens.

    So we'll just keep getting slaughtered, our kids will continue to get murdered at school at record clips, and you'll get to go blow away animals with your AR-15 to fill whatever violence insecurity fetish you've got going on.



    Just in this thread I have been called insecure, an @$$h0le, and ignorant all for the simple reason that I own and hunt with certain firearms. I'm not a criminal, never been arrested, never shot anyone, yet labeled as some type of degenerate in society. And yet some people wonder where there is such a disconnect between both sides.

    I will continue to donate to the NRA, continue to enjoy all of my fiearms, and will continue to buy and build more. :irishdrinkers:


    And that's why people called you those things.

    You lack self awareness and any holistic understanding of the disaster that is this country's obsession with guns. You clearly never will as it appears you'd prefer selfishness.

    This isn't an insult or name calling. You've stated your attachment to guns and gun rights. It's the impact that every gun owner has on defeating change that lacks awareness of the message that sends to the nation.

    Number by violence now, theirs little hope for immediate response and significant change.

    Unfortunately the nation needs both
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 am
  • I don't mean to villainize or insult you in this thread, 206.

    Also, the NRA is by far the worst pro-2A organization out there.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 am
  • So now let's add I lack self awareness to the mix of things that are "wrong" with me. Geez as a mod, I would think your role would require you to be more partial, but I guess Im wrong.

    My statement about building/buying more came after all the comments thrown in my direction, but nice try.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 am
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:I don't mean to villainize or insult you in this thread, 206.

    Also, the NRA is by far the worst pro-2A organization out there.



    No worries bud, everyone is entitles to their opinions. Im just here for the Seahawks talk. :D
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.


    Well said, Sgt.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2143
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:So now let's add I lack self awareness to the mix of things that are "wrong" with me. Geez as a mod, I would think your role would require you to be more partial, but I guess Im wrong.

    My statement about building/buying more came after all the comments thrown in my direction, but nice try.



    Lack of self awareness is a reply to your post. Say things people don't agree with and you should expect a response.

    Keep stockpiling though. But the high road on the gun debate closed long ago
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am
  • Common sense gun laws, like the ones being kicked around yesterday by some of the candidates stating MANDATORY GUN BUYBACK?

    Them: Here legal able bodied gun owner, come on down to Target and give us your AR15 and we'll give you a $100 gift card.

    Me: No thanks

    Them: Ok, your now a felon

    That IS in fact confiscation no matter how you twist it.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:07 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:So now let's add I lack self awareness to the mix of things that are "wrong" with me. Geez as a mod, I would think your role would require you to be more partial, but I guess Im wrong.

    My statement about building/buying more came after all the comments thrown in my direction, but nice try.



    Lack of self awareness is a reply to your post. Say things people don't agree with and you should expect a response.

    Keep stockpiling though. But the high road on the gun debate closed long ago



    Buy em' cheap and stack em' deep. You betcha!
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:So now let's add I lack self awareness to the mix of things that are "wrong" with me. Geez as a mod, I would think your role would require you to be more partial, but I guess Im wrong.

    My statement about building/buying more came after all the comments thrown in my direction, but nice try.



    Lack of self awareness is a reply to your post. Say things people don't agree with and you should expect a response.

    Keep stockpiling though. But the high road on the gun debate closed long ago



    Buy em' cheap and stack em' deep. You betcha!


    Atta boy...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:21 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Common sense gun laws, like the ones being kicked around yesterday by some of the candidates stating MANDATORY GUN BUYBACK?

    Them: Here legal able bodied gun owner, come on down to Target and give us your AR15 and we'll give you a $100 gift card.

    Me: No thanks

    Them: Ok, your now a felon

    That IS in fact confiscation no matter how you twist it.


    No matter how you frame it, confiscation/prohibiting sales of of assault weapons is the only answer to the immediate issues at hand with guns. Mental health is another issue.


    You yourself are not dangerous. Im sure youre a responsible and healthy person. Supporting the proliferation of guns because you are not is where the lack of self awareness comes from.

    Like saying "I never kill anyone when driving drunk so what's the big deal?" Imo...

    The biggest impact on this issue should come from people like yourself. However, it's more of the same. And that's unfortunate.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:45 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.


    Remember the 2nd amendment was probably written when they were using flintlocks or mussel loaders. They had no concept of gun being able to shoot 1000's of rounds per minute.

    That's like asking those who wrote it with a Quill pEn to imagine Word and a PC.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28576
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Common sense gun laws, like the ones being kicked around yesterday by some of the candidates stating MANDATORY GUN BUYBACK?

    Them: Here legal able bodied gun owner, come on down to Target and give us your AR15 and we'll give you a $100 gift card.

    Me: No thanks

    Them: Ok, your now a felon

    That IS in fact confiscation no matter how you twist it.


    This is one of the biggest hurdles to any kind of meaningful change. Way too many people believe that giving a single inch, any inch at all, inevitably leads to "They're going to take all our guns".

    Requiring secure storage of firearms, requiring safety training, more rigorous background checks that include mental health, nope, can't do any of that because then we're just one step closer to "They're going to take all our guns".

    And 206, I'm not saying that describes you personally, but it is true for a lot of gun enthusiasts.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3250
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.


    Remember the 2nd amendment was probably written when they were using flintlocks or mussel loaders. They had no concept of gun being able to shoot 1000's of rounds per minute.

    That's like asking those who wrote it with a Quill pEn to imagine Word and a PC.


    Yes, and if we're trying to interpret what our forefathers were thinking. They were thinking that the best way to assure the British or any other foreign invader from coming back to kick our ass was to make sure every citizen had the right to bear arms and be ready to fight at a moments notice through organized town militias.

    Also to make sure our citizens were armed as we were expanding as a country out into non civilized territories where it was a very dangerous place with natives and wild animals where defending your homestead and hunting was the only way to survive.

    So how exactly did THIS turn into "hey stack em high and deep gimme my AR-15 so I have the inalienable right to chug some brews with my buddies and blow away some animals out in the woods every weekend."

    So damn stupid.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15784
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:53 pm
  • Some might think it's pointless or stupid to collect and shoot these, and that's YOUR opinion. I and 100's of thousands of other disagree and will continue to fund, endorse and take park in our hobby.

    I know that I am in the minority on here when I say that, but oh well.


    BTW Go hawks! :irishdrinkers:
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:11 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.


    Remember the 2nd amendment was probably written when they were using flintlocks or mussel loaders. They had no concept of gun being able to shoot 1000's of rounds per minute.

    That's like asking those who wrote it with a Quill pEn to imagine Word and a PC.


    Yes, and if we're trying to interpret what our forefathers were thinking. They were thinking that the best way to assure the British or any other foreign invader from coming back to kick our ass was to make sure every citizen had the right to bear arms and be ready to fight at a moments notice through organized town militias.

    Also to make sure our citizens were armed as we were expanding as a country out into non civilized territories where it was a very dangerous place with natives and wild animals where defending your homestead and hunting was the only way to survive.

    So how exactly did THIS turn into "hey stack em high and deep gimme my AR-15 so I have the inalienable right to chug some brews with my buddies and blow away some animals out in the woods every weekend."

    So damn stupid.


    It turned into it the same way a stupid person is allowed to sue McDonalds for spilling hot coffee on themselves after they ordered hot coffee, entitlement and thinking that they should be allowed to do what they want outside the arena of practicality and common sense. Just because it doesn't say to do something doesn't mean you should do it. Putting fresh hot coffee between your legs driving and popping the lid off or because we have gun laws I can buy and blow the crap out of stuff with multiple rounds per second weapons.

    Or eat a tide pod because it didn't say I couldn't on the label in writing big enough for me to read.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28576
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:32 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Some might think it's pointless or stupid to collect and shoot these, and that's YOUR opinion. I and 100's of thousands of other disagree and will continue to fund, endorse and take park in our hobby.

    I know that I am in the minority on here when I say that, but oh well.


    BTW Go hawks! :irishdrinkers:


    Regardless of the impact it has on society.? (Whch is not an opinion) that's why it's "stupid" among other things. And they are right.


    But sure... keep doing your hobby.

    Every dollar spent further enables the market, increases manufacturing, and puts everyone in danger.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Some might think it's pointless or stupid to collect and shoot these, and that's YOUR opinion. I and 100's of thousands of other disagree and will continue to fund, endorse and take park in our hobby.

    I know that I am in the minority on here when I say that, but oh well.


    BTW Go hawks! :irishdrinkers:


    Regardless of the impact it has on society.? (Whch is not an opinion) that's why it's "stupid"


    But sure... keep doing your hobby.



    My guns do not have an impact on society, which is an absolute FACT.

    Cool thanks for the endorsement!
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:45 pm
  • Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3250
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:47 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Some might think it's pointless or stupid to collect and shoot these, and that's YOUR opinion. I and 100's of thousands of other disagree and will continue to fund, endorse and take park in our hobby.

    I know that I am in the minority on here when I say that, but oh well.


    BTW Go hawks! :irishdrinkers:


    Regardless of the impact it has on society.? (Whch is not an opinion) that's why it's "stupid"


    But sure... keep doing your hobby.



    My guns do not have an impact on society, which is an absolute FACT.


    Cool thanks for the endorsement!


    Yes, they do. And it's that naivety that drives the issue. Every gun you buy normalizes and increases the market and thus poduction, dumping more and more into society. It also further normalizes and solidifies the sentiment that these are somehow hobbies despite the nefarious use they are often put

    It's astonishing you're not even slightly aware of your impact. And moreso, cavalier in your ignorance of it.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Some might think it's pointless or stupid to collect and shoot these, and that's YOUR opinion. I and 100's of thousands of other disagree and will continue to fund, endorse and take park in our hobby.

    I know that I am in the minority on here when I say that, but oh well.


    BTW Go hawks! :irishdrinkers:


    Regardless of the impact it has on society.? (Whch is not an opinion) that's why it's "stupid"


    But sure... keep doing your hobby.



    My guns do not have an impact on society, which is an absolute FACT.


    Cool thanks for the endorsement!


    Yes, they do. And it's that naivety that drives the issue. Every gun you buy normalizes and increases the market and thus poduction, dumping more and more into society. It also further normalizes and solidifies the sentiment that these are somehow hobbies despite the nefarious use they are often put

    It's astonishing you're not even slightly aware of your impact. And moreso, cavalier in your ignorance of it.



    Oh I get it, so I should stop buying more of these guns because people like you think I should be ashamed to own them, collect, build, shoot them? Im going to have to pass on that one. :2thumbs:

    Oh, and they are considered a hobby, and can be a very valuable one at that.

    Feel free to swing by the Puyallup Fair grounds at the next show and Ill walk you around and show you that 99.9999% of us are normal guys, all with real jobs, families, and likely just like you outside of the fact we collect something that you do not.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm
  • You should stop contributing to a market that dumps weapons used for murder, yes.

    I know you're a normal guy man. I know hundreds of gun owners. But that's not the issue. Even your defensivess is selfish. The whole culture needs a reset.

    Your hobby is being used for murder, terror and war on your society. The fact that you don't actually shoot people does not change the fact that your hobby contributes to the deaths of thousands of Americans every year.

    No, 206, you are not a direct contributor to murder. But it's a level down. I wish you could recognize it.

    Assault weapons and automatics need to be abolished. Manufacturing hand guns and rifles needs to be checked. Licenses, permits and background checks more difficult, thorough, and strict.

    These aren't toys. They're tools of destruction.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:You should stop contributing to a market that dumps weapons used for murder, yes.

    I know you're a normal guy man. I know hundreds of gun owners. But that's not the issue. Even your defensivess is selfish. The whole culture needs a reset.

    Your hobby is being used for murder, terror and war on your society. The fact that you don't actually shoot people does not change the fact that your hobby contributes to the deaths of thousands of Americans every year.

    No, 206, you are not a direct contributor to murder. But it's a level down. I wish you could recognize it.



    What people do with their firearms has zero effect on me. I can safely say that all the LEGAL law abiding gun owners like myself want nothing more than these f*** to quit shooting up public places, because conversations just like this come about.

    I'm not going to quit doing something I purely enjoy just because a very small percentage of people have no regard for human life, nor will I feel ashamed to do so.

    It's a divisive issue I get it, just like religion and politics. Say your house is on fire, at the end of the day regardless if you are anti gun, pro gun, Republican, Democrat, black, white, green or blue Im going to help you out. We are all people, and wired very differently.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:28 pm
  • So you still don't understand... And most gun owners see it the same way.

    First step in ending the slaughter of our citizens, including hundreds to thousands of children, is to remove the tools used to destroy them... or atleast stop making them.

    I'm sure youre a good dude. But this is bigger than that.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 15912
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:So you still don't understand... And most gun owners see it the same way.

    First step in ending the slaughter of our citizens, including hundreds to thousands of children, is to remove the tools used to destroy them... or atleast stop making them.

    I'm sure youre a good dude. But this is bigger than that.



    Nothing personal, I fully understand and respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3255
    Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:40 am
    Location: South Seattle


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 pm
  • Guns are not killing people by themselves, I would say screening is a part of the issue of purchasing, but if your going to hurt people you don't need to buy one legally anyway.

    The tool as Si says is used to provide for your family or mostly used to be in hunting, much like a car is a tool that can be turned into a weapon if you choose in a moment of road rage.

    We can't protect from stupid and hate.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 28576
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:18 pm
  • This conversation is incredible, 206 you and your argument are infuriating.

    I get people have hobbies and don't have a problem with people collecting firearms, shooting firearms, hunting with firearms, it's just the availability of certain firearms.

    The reason you and many other responsible owners have them in your collection is because they are available, the same reason gunman who commit mass shootings use them is because they are available.

    I have no doubt responsible owners would still build, collect, shoot and hunt with firearms as a hobby if these certain firearms weren't available and also have no doubt unstable people would still be angry at the world around them if these weren't available.

    The difference is is they wouldn't have such devestating weapons available to show thier anger.

    I don't know how that doesn't make sense?
    EmbattleTheeHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 192
    Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 1:14 am
    Location: Lake Taupo, NZ


Re: Mass Shootings
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:23 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Me owning, shooting and collecting has nothing to do with politics. Over the years I have voted for both parties to be President, and have chosen about the person and could really care less about their political party. I grew up in a very Military/Law Enforcement laden family where guns were part of everyday life. I had my own Ruger 10/22 at the age of 8, and my fondness for guns started from there.

    Why do I "Cling to the Second Amendment"? It's a RIGHT, not a privilege.


    It is a right, the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't say anything about owning military style semi-automatic weapons that can fire 60 rounds a minute.......or own an entire arsenal like the Vegas shooter.

    No way in hell our forefathers intended this to be the bastardized way people interpret a very vague Amendment that they wrote over 200 years ago when we had no organized police force, town militias and the constant threat of natives and foreign invasion.

    Also the idea of not being able to amend an amendment is false. The Bill of Rights WAS amending our own constitution. So no, it's not something we can't change, we've created many new amendments since the Bill of Rights was passed.

    There IS a happy medium. No ones taking all your guns, all we're asking for is a common ground on sensible gun reform, closing loopholes, background checks, etc and any other thing that can slow down what's going on.

    To not have even the slightest bit of empathy or willingness to do this is IMO about as terrible as it gets.


    Remember the 2nd amendment was probably written when they were using flintlocks or mussel loaders. They had no concept of gun being able to shoot 1000's of rounds per minute.

    That's like asking those who wrote it with a Quill pEn to imagine Word and a PC.


    Yeah but this argument only holds weight if we assume that the people who drafted and approved the bill of rights had no concept of technological improvement. Guns had advanced during their lifetime, so it should be assumed they understood this.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5235
    Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:47 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests