Hurricane Dorian

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Hurricane Dorian
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:33 am
  • I hope everyone here in Florida is OK, and wherever Dorian tracks. My thoughts also go out to folks in the Bahamas, and other affected Caribbean nations/islands.

I've a good friend in Clearwater, FL, but along there seems OK; of course other people on the eastern part of the state are right in the predicted path of the storm.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Hurricane Dorian
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:42 am
  • A coworker HAD a vacation planned to the Bahamas and was supposed to leave today for 10 days. Needless to say I'm sure he's glad it hit prior to his arrival than during.

This really looks like a bad one.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 am
  • Dorian just basically parked on the Bahamas for 40 hours. Still only moving at 2 mph.

Dropped down to Cat 2, but when it gets out over the Gulf Stream it could pick back up. The surf on TV looks pretty ugly.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 pm
  • I dont get how people can live in those areas. Do they just work massive home repairs and lengthy evacuations into their yearly routine?
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I dont get how people can live in those areas. Do they just work massive home repairs and lengthy evacuations into their yearly routine?

Unlike the Gulf Coast, they build homes in the Caribbean to withstand hurricanes.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:17 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I dont get how people can live in those areas. Do they just work massive home repairs and lengthy evacuations into their yearly routine?

He says as a fan of a team which is situated on a major fault and is within 'easy reach' of a 14,000 foot volcano.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I dont get how people can live in those areas. Do they just work massive home repairs and lengthy evacuations into their yearly routine?

He says as a fan of a team which is situated on a major fault and is within 'easy reach' of a 14,000 foot volcano.

I am no expert on the matter, but I would guess that people in Flordia deal with hurricanes more frequently than people in the PNW deal with major earthquakes and volcano eruptions. I could be wrong, though.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:I dont get how people can live in those areas. Do they just work massive home repairs and lengthy evacuations into their yearly routine?

I am no expert on the matter, but I would guess that people in Flordia deal with hurricanes more frequently than people in the PNW deal with major earthquakes and volcano eruptions. I could be wrong, though.

It's more that too many people have this idea it will never happen to me (until it does). And to be fair, I'm one of those same idiots.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:01 pm
  • I'm not. I don't live anywhere near that stuff.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:30 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:

It's more that too many people have this idea it will never happen to me (until it does). And to be fair, I'm one of those same idiots.

My uncle moved to North Dakota in the mid-90's because he was terrified of an earthquake striking Washington.

You know, North Dakota.

Where they average 32 tornadoes a year.

My uncle is not a clever man.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information