Brock and Salk Show

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Brock and Salk Show
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:23 pm
  • After a decade of benign and mostly unlistenable tripe, these two vanilla wafers are giving up their show to host a weekly podcast that I will certainly never listen to. My question is, will 710 bring in someone who has even a hint of an edge? Those four shows are all fluff. I’d like to see someone come in that has an opinion they didn’t foster while taking a bubble bath at nightie-nite time.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Re: Brock and Salk Show
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 pm
  • I’d liked their show at the beginning but started hating it a couple of months in.
    Salk grew old real fast and his eastcoastness got old real quick. Then Brock’s schtick grew old.

I like it when Brock would break things down, but the rest grew stale and old. I’m surprised the show lasted as long as it did.

I admit I’m pretty critical when it comes to sports radio in this town, but understand it’s hard to fill 3 hours of sports talk without an NBA or NHL team to fall back on. I’m not a fan of “homer” or “contrarian” sports radio and it’s hard to find the balance.

I think Dave Wyman does a good job, I can tolerate Danny, but I cannot stand the putz that is Jim Moore.
    I cannot listen to Softy as I just want to punch my radio as he’s like the coked out highschool kid that just finished off 10 energy drinks and can’t stop bouncing off the walls.

I’ve tried to listen to Bucky’s show and Cliff’s show but they are kind of bland even though I like them.
    There was a guy from Detroit that did a good job a few years back that I liked, but forgot his name.
    He just kind of disappeared.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 pm
  • Dave Wyman is awful. Since he became the color analyst he never criticizes anyone. He’s called guys like Vannett, Ifedi and Thompson “great”. I think the entire ESPN lineup is garbage. I actually don’t mind when Jake Heaps and Stacy Rost host together, because they’re fluffy, but a little more honest with no schtick.

Softy is god awful. I do like listening to a lot of the guests that KJR has, but Softy and Dick are painfully bad.

I’ve lived in seven NFL markets and Seattle is easily the most vanilla of all of them. Chicago could be fun at times because they’re generally very honest and no one wants to be the “company” guy. The best radio lineup I’ve ever heard is actually KFAN out of Minneapolis. They let each host be their own guy and they don’t require sports-heavy talk. Their morning show is sophomoric, but hilarious and the two afternoon shows are very unique in sports radio.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:25 pm
  • I generally don't listen to entire shows, but I do like the play breakdowns Brock started, Wyman did, and Heaps has been carrying on.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm
  • endzorn wrote:Dave Wyman is awful. Since he became the color analyst he never criticizes anyone. He’s called guys like Vannett, Ifedi and Thompson “great”. I think the entire ESPN lineup is garbage. I actually don’t mind when Jake Heaps and Stacy Rost host together, because they’re fluffy, but a little more honest with no schtick.

Softy is god awful. I do like listening to a lot of the guests that KJR has, but Softy and Dick are painfully bad.

I’ve lived in seven NFL markets and Seattle is easily the most vanilla of all of them. Chicago could be fun at times because they’re generally very honest and no one wants to be the “company” guy. The best radio lineup I’ve ever heard is actually KFAN out of Minneapolis. They let each host be their own guy and they don’t require sports-heavy talk. Their morning show is sophomoric, but hilarious and the two afternoon shows are very unique in sports radio.

Mitch was the only good Seattle morning show, ever, regardless of format. So what he supported the trafficking of celestials? Who hasn't.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:48 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    endzorn wrote:Dave Wyman is awful. Since he became the color analyst he never criticizes anyone. He’s called guys like Vannett, Ifedi and Thompson “great”. I think the entire ESPN lineup is garbage. I actually don’t mind when Jake Heaps and Stacy Rost host together, because they’re fluffy, but a little more honest with no schtick.

Mitch was the only good Seattle morning show, ever, regardless of format. So what he supported the trafficking of celestials? Who hasn't.

Still trying to sync up with Mitch. I enjoyed his shows the most. So good and asking questions that people couldn't just give their canned answers too.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 pm
  • We must listen to alternate universes. I totally enjoyed their shows and will greatly miss them. I hate 'edginess' or whatever stupidity it's called nowadays. I don't need more fools screaming in my ears their mindless drivel.

Here's to hoping they can find new hosts that will be as much fun and laugh-filled, with good analysis and chatter.

:irishdrinkers: :rumble:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:22 pm
  • Jazzhawk wrote:We must listen to alternate universes. I totally enjoyed their shows and will greatly miss them. I hate 'edginess' or whatever stupidity it's called nowadays. I don't need more fools screaming in my ears their mindless drivel.

Here's to hoping they can find new hosts that will be as much fun and laugh-filled, with good analysis and chatter.

pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 pm
  • Bummer, as I probably wont listen to the podcast.

Danny O'Neill is moving to new york and groz retiring.

I imagine jake heaps will get an earlier show with someone. I like john clayton but not sure he can carry a morning show, especially outwith football season.

Eventually I'm guessing there may be a hockey show before the team starts playing.

On kJR I like softy, especially for the husky news and talk. Preferred the show before dick fain but it's still listenable.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Bummer, as I probably wont listen to the podcast.

Danny O'Neill is moving to new york and groz retiring.

I imagine jake heaps will get an earlier show with someone. I like john clayton but not sure he can carry a morning show, especially outwith football season.

Eventually I'm guessing there may be a hockey show before the team starts playing.

On kJR I like softy, especially for the husky news and talk. Preferred the show before dick fain but it's still listenable.

Jesus
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:37 am
  • You guys think you got it bad, c'mon down to the Portland market and listen to the garbage they have here. When I'm up in the Puget Sound region and turn on 710 or 950 it's like heaven compared to the drivel I have to listen to down here, Softy notwithstanding of course. That dude..........
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:46 am
  • So Chuck Powell won? Or they just all lost to BJ Shea?

They've got to be going national in the morning.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:25 am
  • I liked Brock, but Salk is just an angry little bitch. Glad Groz is sort of retiring, he's absolutely brutal. Jim Moore is the one I wish would go away. He adds absolutely nothing to the show.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 am
  • lol @ vanilla wafers.

They haven't announced what's going to take Brock and Salk's place in the morning time slot. I hope it's G Scott, he's a player suck up, but at least he brings a little flavor, edge and energy when he's on.

Honestly, Cliff and Puck is the only sports show I can listen to for more than 20 minutes. At least Puckett's funny, and Cliff brings some insight into the player side, but he does ALWAYS take their side, which wears on me.

btw, Mitch has his own podcast now. So if you love you miss you some rub and tug Mitch, his podcast is available here.

http://mitchunfiltered.com/

He's also on BJ's show Monday mornings.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:We must listen to alternate universes. I totally enjoyed their shows and will greatly miss them. I hate 'edginess' or whatever stupidity it's called nowadays. I don't need more fools screaming in my ears their mindless drivel.

Honestly I'm with you. I enjoy Brock and Salk more than probably any other sports radio show in Seattle (though I haven't ventured into 950 territory much). Maybe it's because it's become a staple of my morning routine, but I'm bummed the show is moving to a weekly podcast. Interested to see how they fill the morning slots.

Sgt. Largent wrote:They haven't announced what's going to take Brock and Salk's place in the morning time slot. I hope it's G Scott, he's a player suck up, but at least he brings a little flavor, edge and energy when he's on.

Gross. G Scott is one notch below Stephen A's constant yelling. While G is definitely more tolerable and not an absolute edge-lord, I'd prefer he doesn't get a spot on a show lasting more than a couple hours.

Bob, Groz and Tom is ok. Their best content is the 1 o'clock hour on Tuesdays when they have Michael Bradley (El Hombre) on the show. I actually really like Bradley and wish 710 would get someone in their roster that was more outspoken, not afraid to criticize and stands by their opinions/morals like Bradley does.

Gonna be a big shuffle this fall with everyone moving on and/or taking different roles.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    endzorn wrote:Dave Wyman is awful. Since he became the color analyst he never criticizes anyone. He’s called guys like Vannett, Ifedi and Thompson “great”. I think the entire ESPN lineup is garbage. I actually don’t mind when Jake Heaps and Stacy Rost host together, because they’re fluffy, but a little more honest with no schtick.

Mitch has been on 99.9 at least a couple times. Not sure if it's a regular thing or not. He was on Monday Morning with BJ and Migs breaking down the game after week 1.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:lol @ vanilla wafers.

They haven't announced what's going to take Brock and Salk's place in the morning time slot. I hope it's G Scott, he's a player suck up, but at least he brings a little flavor, edge and energy when he's on.

Honestly, Cliff and Puck is the only sports show I can listen to for more than 20 minutes. At least Puckett's funny, and Cliff brings some insight into the player side, but he does ALWAYS take their side, which wears on me.

btw, Mitch has his own podcast now. So if you love you miss you some rub and tug Mitch, his podcast is available here.

Not a Mitch fan but I was surprised how he was tolerable on BJ & Migs.
    Maybe it’s because of the shorter segments and there are 2 other strong personalities to balance him out.
    Mitch seems more relaxed and toned down on BJ’s show.

I’ll listen to week 3.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:lol @ vanilla wafers.

Not a Mitch fan but I was surprised how he was tolerable on BJ & Migs.
    Maybe it’s because of the shorter segments and there are 2 other strong personalities to balance him out.
    Mitch seems more relaxed and toned down on BJ’s show.

I’ll listen to week 3.

Well I think Mitch got a pretty damn good dose of humble pie after what went down, so I'm sure he does sound a little different, amiable and pleasant vs his old self, which was kind of a jackass to his listeners.

Mitch is fine, but I'm sure as heck not going out of my way to DL his podcast.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:26 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:I’d liked their show at the beginning but started hating it a couple of months in.
    Salk grew old real fast and his eastcoastness got old real quick. Then Brock’s schtick grew old.

I like it when Brock would break things down, but the rest grew stale and old. I’m surprised the show lasted as long as it did.

I admit I’m pretty critical when it comes to sports radio in this town, but understand it’s hard to fill 3 hours of sports talk without an NBA or NHL team to fall back on. I’m not a fan of “homer” or “contrarian” sports radio and it’s hard to find the balance.

I think Dave Wyman does a good job, I can tolerate Danny, but I cannot stand the putz that is Jim Moore.
    I cannot listen to Softy as I just want to punch my radio as he’s like the coked out highschool kid that just finished off 10 energy drinks and can’t stop bouncing off the walls.

I’ve tried to listen to Bucky’s show and Cliff’s show but they are kind of bland even though I like them.
    There was a guy from Detroit that did a good job a few years back that I liked, but forgot his name.

Are you referring to Michael Gray from Grand Rapids?
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:57 am
  • sc85sis wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I’d liked their show at the beginning but started hating it a couple of months in.

Are you referring to Michael Gray from Grand Rapids?

Yes, thats the guy.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information