Geek movies

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Geek movies
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:46 pm
  • So, I'm (once again) watching the movie "Hidden Figures". Which leads me to comment here about how few movies there are that realistically show how it is to be someone like me (and everyone I work with). So far there's this movie, and "Apollo 13", where I watch it and say "These are my people!"

All the other movies with tech geeks portray us as barely functional people somewhere on the autism spectrum.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Re: Geek movies
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:22 am
  • Well, there was 'The Martian'.

Mark Watney:
    At some point, everything's gonna go south on you and you're going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That's all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem and you solve the next one, and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.

Mark Watney:
    I'm going to have to science the shit out of this.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:45 am
  • Palmegranite wrote:Well, there was 'The Martian'.

Mark Watney:
    At some point, everything's gonna go south on you and you're going to say, this is it. This is how I end. Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work. That's all it is. You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem and you solve the next one, and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home.

Mark Watney:
    I'm going to have to science the shit out of this.

Well, Apollo 13 and Hidden Figures actually happened.

The Martian, while entertaining, was pure fiction.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 am
  • Ya...great. Now you gonna tell me Real Genius was a fake movie. That B-1A is a real bomber.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 am
  • In other sci-fi cinema, the Star Trek movies (and series) always portrayed the techies in a positive light; e.g. Scotty, Geordi La Forge .

And in Galaxy Quest, a great Star Trek parody, the nerdy kids who bothered to study the engineering behind the (fake) starship saved the day in the end.
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:31 am
  • Weird Science?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:58 am
  • The Right Stuff.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:27 am
  • The Right Stuff was almost there, though it was more about the flyboys (and rightly so). As for the others, my original post mentioned "movies ... that realistically show how it is to be someone like me" (en engineer, doing engineer stuff - not exactly The Right Stuff! ;) )

I watched The Martian, all the Star Trek series/movies, other sci-fi, etc. as speculative, but I don't get that "my peeps!" vibe from them because they aren't realistic by definition.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 am
  • Never happen. Well, probably not anyway.

After all, and I say this as someone who was in engineering for the bulk of my career, what geeks really do is bo-o-o-r-r-r-i-i-i-n-n-ng. Real science and engineering is about collecting data and manipulating it to dig out meaning and truth. Sorry, but sitting and watching a data logger feed data into a computer and collecting the printouts isn't quite the same as Terminator slashing and burning his way through downtown LA.

:Dunno:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 am
  • A Beautiful Mind.

I loved seeing economics on the big screen. My wife tells me she found it unrealistic since Russell Crowe had muscles.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 am
  • Real Genius...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:43 am
  • Lets not limit this to documentaries or docu-dramas.
    Movies are for the most part fiction.

Here's another cool film that belies the theory that science, math, engineering is boring.

Pi:
    (from the director of Black Swan)

https://youtu.be/1UHevOrvjnM
    Palmegranite
    NET Starter

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:30 am
  • sutz wrote:Never happen. Well, probably not anyway.

After all, and I say this as someone who was in engineering for the bulk of my career, what geeks really do is bo-o-o-r-r-r-i-i-i-n-n-ng. Real science and engineering is about collecting data and manipulating it to dig out meaning and truth. Sorry, but sitting and watching a data logger feed data into a computer and collecting the printouts isn't quite the same as Terminator slashing and burning his way through downtown LA.

While accurate by definition I don't like the use of manipulating here. I always think of manipulating as what somebody like a statistician does, which is manipulating the data to tell the story that is wanted. Engineers and scientists process the data to tell the story that is there (well scientists to tell the story, engineers to solve the problem.) Engineers and scientists who do the former have really become something else.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:17 pm
  • Andromeda Strain
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:33 pm
  • sutz wrote:After all, and I say this as someone who was in engineering for the bulk of my career, what geeks really do is bo-o-o-r-r-r-i-i-i-n-n-ng. Real science and engineering is about collecting data and manipulating it to dig out meaning and truth. Sorry, but sitting and watching a data logger feed data into a computer and collecting the printouts isn't quite the same as Terminator slashing and burning his way through downtown LA.

"Engineering" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too broad of a category to paint with such a narrow brush. If you think electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, IT systems engineering, civil engineering, and nuclear engineering are all similar...I don't even know how to respond to that, except with: they're not.

In regards to the thread topic: Hackers and Takedown.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information